Nostalgic Rendezvous, part 2

Because Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        When they arrive at Macau, it was freezing cold. All of them checked in to the hotel, deciding to take a rest before exploring Macau. As Ling had said, it was not a right time for vacation because everything is frozen and you can’t see anything in the snow. But Mei again laughed her off, saying that she missed the snow so much she didn’t mind seeing the snow even when they take a walk to the beach.
               Luhan shared a room with Yifan, of course. But the first night at Macau, after they went to the souvenir shop and had seafood for dinner, Luhan didn’t come back to the room. He didn’t see Luhan the next day either. Even when they were taking the tour to Senado Square, or to the casinos, or the beaches despite the weather, Luhan was nowhere to be seen. Where did he go? What’s the point of taking this trip together if Luhan keeps disappearing like this? What’s the point of Yifan making the younger potentially getting fired if it feels like he’s not here with them? Yifan wanted to call him, but he realized he didn’t have Luhan’s number. Yifan asked his parents and Luhan’s parents where he went, he also asked Qian and her father, but none of them knew. Ling told Yifan he didn’t have to worry about Luhan, he likes to disappear a lot. He’ll come back eventually, he just needed to clear his mind from the stress eating him out.
               After the exhausting tour, all of the family member decide to go back to their room to take a rest. Room service is their choice for tonight’s dinner. Yifan, who was bored being all alone in his room, thought he could go out to the souvenir shop they went yesterday to buy something he had saw for Qian. He didn’t buy it yesterday because he knew their parents will all get noisy, teasing him until he couldn’t face the world anymore, so he thought it would be better to come back later alone.
               “Good evening, Sir. Welcome,” Yifan heard the girl behind the cashier welcomed him. He was about to greet back when he saw the man standing not far from the girl, examining some colorful stones placed near the cashier desk.
               “LUHAN??”
               Said man whipped his head to Yifan’s direction, his eyes widened at the sight. “Yifan?”
               “What the hell?? Why are you here?” the older man stormed towards Luhan, approaching him in three big steps he didn’t even know he could take.
               “Why am I here?” Luhan chuckled. “Weren’t you the one who forced me coming here with you guys, even insulting my boss who probably would kick my out of the office by the time we get back?”
               “You know I didn’t mean it like that,” Yifan didn’t laugh. It wasn’t funny for him. he spent last night and this day worrying about Luhan—that probably he got lost in the forest while hiking or got carried away by the wave while playing in the beach. “You disappeared, Luhan! You worried all of us!” it was a lie, only Yifan was worried about him. The others seem to know that Luhan is doing fine and him disappearing is apparently something they are all used to.
               “Did I, now?” the pink haired man smiled. He moved around the room, leaving Yifan standing on his spot while following Luhan’s movement with his eyes. “I thought you guys came here already yesterday?”
               “How did you—you saw us?”
               “Hmmm..” he nod, looking at a wood carved to a dolphin statue, trying to read what’s written on it. “Why are you here again, then?”
               “Oh!” Yifan suddenly remember why he was there. He asked for something to the seller, something Luhan couldn’t hear. When she handed the item to Yifan, Yifan turned to find Luhan was looking at him. “Come here, Lu.”
               Luhan obeyed. He walked towards the taller man, who grabbed his shoulders to turn Luhan to the right. Just then Luhan realized they were staring at their reflection in the mirror. Luhan’s heart beats crazily, he was sure it would leave a bruise in the morning. He saw how perfect they were, standing like this with Yifan behind him, holding his narrow shoulders. Their height difference was just perfect. Luhan wanted so much to turn around and hug him, but it was impossible,
               “Pretty, isn’t it?”
               Just then Luhan felt Yifan was putting something across his neck. A beautiful silver necklace with a heart pendant. Is Yifan..
               “Yifan, this is—“
               “It looks perfect on you.”
               “Yifan..” it was like a dream for Luhan. He wanted to pinch himself so hard to see if this was real. But Yifan’s breath tickling his ear, the warm chest pressing his back, it’s all real. It’s not a dream. But good dreams never last long, because then Yifan said something that crush Luhan’s heart into pieces.
               “Imagine how beautiful this would look on Qian.”
                Luhan could hear his heart fall and crash when he heard what the low, deep, and seductive voice whispered into his ear. His smile was gone in a second, as Yifan retreated his arm that was circling Luhan’s neck. He walked to the cashier, while Luhan turned around to look at him.
               “Do you know what’s best? This necklace is..” Yifan took the pendant between his thumb and index finger, and twisted it. The silver pendant split into two parts, they were two different pendants, joint because it had magnetic material in it. “I will give Qian this part,” he raised the one he held on his right hand. “Symbolizing that she has my heart. While I’m going to keep the other one, meaning.. I hold her heart.”
               Luhan didn’t say a word. He only looked at Yifan. it seems so impossible for him to break the love Yifan had for Qian, regardless it was him who wrote Qian’s letter to Yifan all this time. Yifan loved her then, he loves her now, and he will always love her. Now Luhan understand that. It was time for him to give up, it was time for him to let go of Yifan.
               “Luhan?” Luhan could see the worried look forming in Yifan’s eyes.”Are you okay? Did I say something wrong?”
               Luhan let out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding, then forced a smile as he looked up to Yifan. “It’s.. it’s beautiful, Yifan. I’m sure Song Qian will love it.”
               “I hope so,” not realizing the sad tone in Luhan’s shaking voice, Yifan gave the necklace to be packed. He stole a glance at Luhan who was just standing there, smiling at Yifan. “Actually,” he suddenly said to the lady behind the counter, “you know what, I’ll take two of this.”
               Yifan looked to his right, seeing Luhan’s smile has changed into a confused expression. “For you. If ever you find your other half, you should give this necklace to them.”
               It crushed Luhan, the words that Yifan said. Feeling the hot sensation in the corner of his eyes, Luhan closed it. He wasn’t gonna breakdown now. Luhan has made a desicion. He’s gonna let his best friends happy. He can deal with this broken heart. Hell, he’s been dealing with it for 15 years. Luhan gave Yifan a small smile, not trusting his voice even for a thanks. When Yifan mirrored his smile and pulled out his wallet to pay, Luhan turned around, trying to suppress the tears threatening to fall down.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
             “It tasted weiiiiii~rd!” Yifan whined. The two males are now sitting facing each other in a small kungpao restaurant near the souvenir shop they just visited. Yifan hasn’t eat dinner, he was starving. Luhan insists he already had dinner and didn’t want to eat out, but when Yifan asked Luhan with a puppy eyes, saying that he wanted to eat kungpao with his childhood best friend, Luhan gave up. Agreeing to the older man’s request, here they are now sharing a large plate of kungpao with beers on the side.
             Luhan laughed seeing Yifan like that. The child Yifan from 15 years ago was still there. Luhan was glad nothing much has changed from his friend. Of course not, he thought to himself, not even his love for Qian.
              Yifan saw Luhan’s expression darkened. He actually looked cute now with his lips jutting out, the chopsticks he’s holding still stuck between his mouth, a frown slowly formed on his forehead.
              “Yah!” the older hit Luhan’s forehead gently with his spoon. “What’s with the expression?”
              Luhan shook his head, not wanting to ruin their rare alone time – couchwithoutQiancough. “Nothing.”
            Yifan wasn’t sure, but he decide to let it go this time. After a minute of silence, Yifan cleared his throat. “So.. ,” he broke the silence. “.. what’s with this.. scholarship thing in Bali.. that I don’t know?”
               Luhan looked surprised at Yifan’s question. His eyes grew so big Yifan was sure it almost fell of its socket. “I.. how did you—I never—Qian, is it?”
               “Yeah,” Yifan answered casually. “I heard your conversation with your mother at the airport yesterday. You said you were tired and stressed out because you study too much. I asked Qian what that was about. She told me.. you were going to take a scholarship in Indonesia?”
               Luhan was contemplating if he should lie, telling Yifan that Qian was just joking. But in the end, he decide to tell Yifan the truth.
               “I’ve been in love with music my whole life. If you remember, Hyung, we used to compose together every day, just the two of us.”
               “Yeah. Qian was more of a singer, but the both of us made the song. Well, I was just filling the rap actually.”
               The younger laughed out a small chuckle as he look down and shook his head. Yifan thought his pink hair looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter