The First Letter

Because Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Qian,

 

I have arrived in Bali. We arrived last night, but I was too exhausted to write a letter, so only now I can write you. My computer is not yet unpacked, and our internet connection will not be installed until next week. So for the time being, I hope this letter is enough for you.

 

Bali is amazing!! I have never been to a place like this before. I don’t know about the rest of Indonesia yet, but Papa had promised me he will take me around Indonesia when we are settled. And when I’m in vacation of course. For now, there is this beautiful place I had to learn first. No wonder people call Bali as the Paradise Island. It really is a paradise. I love our hometown, of course. Beijing is much more.. sophisticated and modern and neat, but the difference between both places is what makes Bali more beautiful. The cultural atmosphere is very strong here. You can see people wear their traditional cloth on daily basis, there are ritual offerings all over the street, and I mean all over the street! It’s in front of every house, every building, on top of their vehicles, on every statue and big trees. It’s really amazing! I can’t wait to finally get to explore this whole island.

 

We live in a district called Ubud. This is actually a culture center of Bali, far from the beaches and the city light. It’s very quiet here at night, not a lot of people are around but foreign tourists who likes the silence and calmness this town offers usually come here to stay. ..               

 

“Blah blah blah..” Luhan saw Qian tossed the letter to her side, not even reading it until the end. He quickly got up from where he was sitting, in front of his computer desk on his favorite cozy red chair, to take the baby blue colored paper. He sat beside Qian who was sprawled across his bed, not even caring about the letter as she started playing with her brand new cellphone her father gave her this morning. “It’s boring. Yifan got so boooooo~ring!”              

 

Luhan chuckled at his friend’s attitude. Qian was the typical spoiled 12 year old girl that thinks of nothing but how she looks and how boys will look at her. It’s not a bad thing really, because besides that two irritating fact about her, she is a nice Daddy’s girl who get everything she wanted just because her dad feels guilty that her daughter is growing up without a mother. Qian’s mother died when she was still 3 years old, due to a complication she had after giving birth to Qian’s baby brother, who died 2 weeks after their mother’s because he was too weak. It was a terrible grieve for her father and her, also for Qian’s mother two best friend who lived in the same apartment building as she is: Ling—Luhan’s mother, and Mei—Yifan’s mother. Since then, Qian was always taken care by Ling and Mei, who took her as their own daughter since the both of them only had sons in their family. While being a spoiled girl she is, Qian cared about her new family a lot. She loves Luhan’s and Yifan’s parents dearly, and she grew especially close to Luhan because he and Qian had a mutual attraction in music and singing. Yifan does too, but his mother influence was just too strong and it made Yifan liked painting more than anything. Besides, Luhan knows Qian always befriend someone based on their looks first, maybe that was the main reason why Qian was closer to him more than Yifan, aside from music. Yifan was a bit on the heavy side, Luhan must admit. But Luhan can’t not admit that even with his heavy weight and chubby cheeks, the older male was so handsome and attractive. He had a low and deep voice, very uncommon for boys his age, a cute dimple which shows every time he pulls off a slightest smile, and thick eyebrows that Luhan was envy of. But nobody could deny the charm of Yifan’s eyes. It can make anyone forget their name, where they are, what they were supposed to do, just by looking into those dark onyx eyes. But Qian never saw that in him. Even though Yifan loved her to death, and share his little secret to Luhan that he will marry no other girl but Qian when they grew up, Qian just can’t get to like him that way.              

 

“Qian, you can’t say that. He is just telling you about his new home there,” Luhan said to his best friend, shoving the letter back under her nose so she can read it again, but Qian just shook her head and moved to her side, facing away from Luhan.          

    

“I don’t need to know about his new home, I don’t need to know anything about him,” she didn’t even looked at Luhan when she said that, still engrossed in texting whoever was on the phone with her.              

 

Luhan shook his head in defeat. While chuckling, he decide to read the continuation of the letter that Qian stopped reading out loud. Luhan missed Yif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter