Solitary

The Inmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Today had been such a long day...I still had a few hours left though and next up was taking Kim to go and see Nichkhun to get her punishment for her aggressive behaviour. Personally I believed she deserved nothing but a pat on the back, she stuck up for herself and though that's not how things work in prison, it's what I felt. What was she supposed to do? Let that huge monster touch her? her? I couldn't think of anything more vile.

Once we arrived at his door, I was about to knock but instead something caught my eye, the bandage had come off of her knuckles. I looked around on the floor and back to where we had come from but saw no trace of it. With a frown I looked at her, silently asking with my expression where it was but she wasn't looking at me, instead looking slightly bored and wanting to get this over with as soon as possible. A quick glance downwards reassured me that her hand was okay and wasn't bleeding so with a slight hesitation, I knocked the door and pulled her inside once Nichkhun allowed our entry.

 

"Sit her down" he ordered almost as soon as we came in, not even looking up from the documents he was shuffling. He was expecting us.


I nudged her further into the room and she stood in front his desk, she couldn't have looked nervous if she tried. I kind of admired this girl a little. I mean, if I had just beat the out of four women I'd be petrified of the punishment that would await me. It would almost certainly be solitary but she could also have her visitation revoked, her recreation taken away...the list goes on and on. In this place, violence even when you are sticking up for yourself is just not allowed.


Nichkhun I saw was looking over that same file that had caused me such discomfort and stress earlier on. I still couldn't see the damn thing though. "Let's see… Kim Taeyeon isn't it?"


Kim Taeyeon...finally I knew her name. It's nice, pretty. It suited her too, I know the actual meaning of the name 'Taeyeon' which translates as 'calm' could be a word some people couldn't for the life of them imagine associating her with but I knew her, or I'd like to think I know her a little better than the other correctional officers in this facility. She was calm unless provoked.

She rolled her eyes in response to his question and shifted her weight slightly, finding the random stain on the floor far more interesting than the powerful man before her. He raised his head after not getting an answer and I noticed he looked pretty pissed. Maybe he'd had a long day too....


"I asked you a question. Is your name Kim Taeyeon or not?" He asked, his voice rising.

"Isn't that what my file says?" Taeyeon shot back with slight hostility before looking at me to confirm that that is the name that was on the file....I looked away immediately though had raised my eyebrows slightly at her attitude, she's certainly a little spitfire. She kept surprising me each day, what else was she hiding under those eyes and within that small and petite body?


Nichkhun let out an angry scoff and leaned back in his chair while he studied Taeyeon up and down. No surprises there from my erted boss, though I guess if you could see past her anger and her violence...she was pretty, in the sort of way you'd think of a child being cute. She had a babyish face that didn't belong in this prison but eyes that belonged to a woman twice her age. They were wise, knowing and gave her an aura that caused you to become filled with curiosity and the desire to find out who she is, what she knows.


"You better watch your tone Kim, you're in enough trouble as it is." He warned.


To me it looked like Taeyeon was not affected whatsoever by his comment nor his intimidating stare. Of course his had nothing over the glare she could give, in fact it looked like the face of an excited puppy in comparison. Due to me being behind her I couldn't really see her own expression though it was kind of funny just imagining what she stared back at him with, a perplexed look perhaps that said 'what the is that?' or 'Are you kidding me...that's it?'


He read over the document in his hand again before looking up at me and then back to her. "We all know why you're in here Taeyeon." Not true, I didn't but I would really like to. Someone enlighten me please! "What happened today... is history repeating itself?" History repeating itself? Did that mean whatever crime she committed to land herself in prison had something to do with violence?

"I don't see why it would. I think those es got the message" she replied, cheekily sporting her lone dimple on the side of her chin.


Although I felt like I wasn't too fond of the girl, I had a very hard time not smiling at her words but of course in Nichkhun's presence I could not do that. My eyes wanting to roam around instead travelled down her back until I was slightly alarmed to see her knuckles had started to bleed again, the droplets running between each of her fingers.


"Tiffany" Nichkhun's voice boomed. I tore my eyes from the injury and stepped further into the office, looking at my superior though couldn't help worrying that the girl was in pain. "Take Kim to solitary confinement. Give her some time to cool off."


With a nod and an urge to sigh at the outcome, I placed a hand between Taeyeon's handcuffed wrists and pulled her to walk out of the room where we proceeded down the corridor in silence, only the sound of our steps resonating through the halls. I couldn't help saying what was on my mind when I glanced back at her.


"You've got a mouth on you. You shouldn't talk to him that way" I wasn't expecting an answer, though was strangely pleased when I received one.

"What is he gonna do? Lock me up? Oh, wait… I'm already in prison" Taeyeon replied. I shook my head at her smart- comment but now found I couldn't suppress that damn smile that had hidden itself in the office.


After a short while longer, we finally arrived at the secure housing unit also known as the SHU. It was a terrifying place, awful. As we walked, I tried not to hear the screams of the inmates behind the windowless cell doors to be let out,msome even begging to die. A lot of them sounded completely psychotic...who wouldn't be? They were locked inside 23-7 with no contact from another person except being handed a tray of food through a slat in the door each day and being escorted to shower and recreation albeit with no communication. Humans are social creatures, they rely on company and contact, this was no place for a human being.

Recreation by the way, shouldn't even be called that in these parts. The prisoners are led with shackles around their wrists and ankles to a concrete room only around two feet wider or longer than the size of the one they spend mostly all of their time in. It's just them...maybe if they're lucky, a window that shows a view of the bricked wall of the building opposite and if they press their faces against the bars perhaps they could see the sky but that's it. No activities, no people to converse with, no balls or puzzles...nothing. These inmates didn't need to be removed from their cells except for their recreation each day (or maybe even each week depending on the prison) and showering which was usually two or three times a week. Their cells were equipped with toilets so they at least had that but the boredom and the claustrophobic feel of such a place must be...just awful. Even the thought of being in the room with Taeyeon soon and having the door shut, it was enough to make me slightly wheezy.

 

Sometimes, my job is hard. As I walked slightly in front of this girl, though rude and intense, I hate to admit she had made an impression on me. With her talent in art and her interest in books, the ability to stick up for herself...I pleased to discover that she wouldn't take from anybody. And even if she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter