The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

The Inmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Looking back at what I had said yesterday...to a SENIOR Officer mind you, maybe I was wrong. Not wrong in the things I said, I believed them 100% but wrong that I spoke to him that way and in that tone. However, yes...I sort of stuck up for a prisoner who also yes...could be a cold-blooded murderer like he said but there was absolutely no reason for him to try to rile her up, to try to make her feel like the smallest person alive. And also, I wondered if it was just her he did that to.

Granted, most of the room's I saw as I went along the count looked like , mess everywhere, their shoes and socks strewn across the floor....but why would he create a mess if they had a clean room?

 I don't know why I was getting so worked up over this, it happened a lot in the prison back in America, but it happened to men who could take it and weren't in danger of getting their feelings hurt. These were women and some may be gross lesbians but other's... With her in mind I frowned, other's seem like they are just trying to do the best they can in here to get by, to stay out of trouble and to avoid confrontation from the officer's who give it to them anyway.


After what I said to him, he ignored me for the rest of my shift. I had to leave halfway through the contraband search due to mine being over and I couldn't help but wonder whether he took what I said on board or continued to be a once I left. It's not like I could ask the prisoner's today about what he did so in the end I just tried to forget it.

I was sitting in my car outside the prison just thinking because I was a little early. I'd managed to get up fine this morning, still going over yesterday's events in my head and wondered if that officer had reported me. For what...I don't know, for something anyway. As well as thinking, I was feeling nervously excited. It was my first proper day today as after my shift yesterday I had to go to see Nichkhun and he told me that he had seen me several times and liked my confidence and my way of communicating with the inmate's firmly.

I thanked God he hadn't seen what I had said to Park but yeah...he said that it was a waste of time easing me into something that I sort of knew already so gave me my first full shift. 
I would start at 7:30am and finish at 5:30pm. A long shift staying on your feet almost always but that's the job I signed up for. I also didn't know whether I'd have a buddy today or have to go off alone. I didn't mind either really, but I wasn't too fond on having Park again...


"Good morning Tiffany" one of the security guy's who patted me down greeted as I opened out my arms and legs.

"Morning" I smiled and immediately being curious about something, I asked him a question. "Do you get a lot of CO's here bringing in contraband?" 

"Not a lot no" he answered as he finished up the search. "The last time was a year or two ago, I don't really remember but it's happened only a few times"

"Ah" I nodded and grabbed my keys from the tray, going on my way to the staff room. I don't know why any officer would do that...risk their job for an inmate. Prisoner's get to buy everything they need as well as some treats from commissary, plus have dinner provided to them...what else do they need? I shook my head in frustration as I entered the room and clipped on my belt, making sure each item within it was easily reachable if I encountered a problem.

 

Next up was to enter the staff meeting to find out what I'd be doing today. Again when I sat down all I saw were male officer's. Apart from Yuri and myself, I had seen no other female workers here. Then again they could be on the other side of the prison but still, it was disconcerting to say the least.


"Hmmm Officer Hwang" 

"Yes sir." I bowed to my senior.

"You....will be performing the morning contraband search in half hour and then monitoring the line for the commissary."

Again with the contraband? "Yes sir" I repeated and waited to be excused. Actually, it wasn't fair to say I had to do it again. I had only basically watched Officer Park yesterday as he did it. He had been still pissed at me so instead of shadowing my work like he was supposed to, he just took over and did it himself. Now it was my turn.


I was assigned to the same area and wondered if this would be the main unit I would be working on. Usually CO's got moved around to different housing units within the prison which meant dealing with different prisoner's each time. But sometimes, if an officer was better in one unit and could handle the many inmate's within it, they would be assigned to only that one.

I didn't mind continuing to work there as apart from the lesbian's, the inmate's were okay. To my knowledge, there wasn't anybody dangerous so that would mean easier work for me and If I ended up getting bored I could just request to watch over another unit. I started making my way over there, winding through the many corridors as I tried to remember where to go.

Remembering I had some time left before I started, I took to wandering around looking for anybody misbehaving or any suspicious behaviour but there was none. This job was mostly keeping a visual on the premises to see basically nothing happen, if I was honest it was a little boring. In my old prison, at least I could joke around with my fellow officer's about who was the hottest guy in the room. I used to do that all the time, it was funny and kept me occupied but here....no men just women. I sighed, this would definitely take some getting used to.

Finally after some time of doing nothing, I went over to the first door which was already open from the count that was done before I arrived and entered inside. The room was clean again due to the expected cleanup the inmate's were to do each morning and I found it a shame to have to mess it up a little... until I remembered who lived here. Two gay girls who hadn't hesitated to on me when I had walked in yesterday, I wasn't going to emulate Park's move though, even though these girls were lesbian. 

I believed in treating everyone equally here just like I was trained. Yes, I may hate to be around them but I would try my best not to show it other than through a stern attitude. But thankfully, neither girl was here, they were probably showering so I could just get on with my work and do it undisturbed. What I had to look for was anything from drugs and weapons to luxuries such as extra pillows, extra uniform...that kind of thing.
Sadly about halfway through my search, one of them came back.


"Damn!" I heard her call out, a quick glance over my shoulder showed her walking inside, her eyes placed firmly on my rear while I was bent over looking under her mattress. "I'd be upset about someone ruining my hard work but since it's you...I'll forgive you. You can mess up my bed anytime babe" she said with a wink.

I turned back around and clenched my jaw. You have to get used to this Tiffany, don't let them see it bother's you.... "That's enough" I replied and stood up straight when I deemed her mattress free of contraband. One more place to look, under her bed. 


With a slight sigh, I got down on my knees ignoring the whistle she made as I did so and saw nothing, but then...

 

"What's this?" I asked, pointing at something I saw. She got down next to me and looked to where I was pointing. It looked to be a blanket, it's corner poking down from the far side of her bed. It was knitted, something that you couldn't buy at the commissary and something that wasn't deemed appropriate since she already had the allowed amount of sheets and blankets that had been given to her,

"They gave it me when I first came here" she said with a shrug of her shoulders but I noticed her biting her lip nervously. Gotcha. 

 "That's contraband" I said as I stood back up and leaned over her bed. "It's not allowed" I took up the other side of her mattress and saw it was tucked in tight hidden under the covers well except for that one corner hanging down in view beneath her bed. 


She bowed her head and then it was as if a light switch came on as her face lit up. She started to come towards me, her hips swaying and a smirk on her face. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter