Her Past

The Inmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I didn’t want to hear it like this. I wanted to hear it when she wanted to tell me. She clearly didn’t and was just doing this out of spite because I betrayed her, making me feel ing awful for even saying that girl’s name. I tried to leave before she started to talk, wanting nothing more than to get a breath of fresh air because in this tense atmosphere I was pretty much suffocating. However, even before I could get to the door, Taeyeon blocked it with her body and looked my way as if to dare me to attempt to leave.

 

"Taeyeon…" I said as softly as I could, my tone full of regret and sorrow for whatever she had been through. It had to be devastating because of her reaction. 

“Don’t leave officer, we have much to discuss and you have a lot to learn about me. Would you like to get a pad and pen to write down every detail just in case you forget?” She smiled, it was more sickly than sweet.

“Stop it” I replied, feeling the anger build up within me again. I wanted her to let me go, i'd leave and just stay away if that’s what she wanted even though it would hurt me like crazy. But I’d do it, I’d understand why she’d want nothing more to do with me.

“Imagine this” she said, before holding her arms together outstretched in front of her, then moving them from the middle outwards as if setting out the scene that I was to ‘react to’. “Two girls do everything together, they shop, they go out, they sleep….everything they do together. They are so in love that it hurts, it hurts when they are separated and almost like a conjoined twin sharing only one heart…without the other person, they would die. If this is too hard for you, imagine it as a man and a woman” She smirked.

“I'm leaving” I replied, attempting to move past her but each time she stopped my efforts. I warned her with my eyes but she shot just as much warning back so reluctantly, I reached for my radio…only to have it plucked from my hands and down Taeyeon’s top.

“You aren’t leaving until I give you what you want Tiffany. Now listen up. These two girls, they are also partners at work. They are both police officers and almost always get put together on a job because of how well they work with one another. They are Kim Taeyeon and Jung Jessica and they have known each other for seven years and had been a couple for four. So anyway one day, they're sent out on a job to investigate a warehouse after having a tip off that it was being used for drug trafficking, bringing drugs through the building and then transporting and selling all over Asia.”


I released the breath I was holding, I hated the way she was telling me her life through a story as if it was unimportant, something to laugh at or cry to.


“Are you imagining it Tiffany? I bet you're curious now right? To know the last thing in my life that I had wished to keep private from the likes of people like you? Well here you go!"

"Stop" I said through my clenched teeth, I didn’t want to be here with her. Something about the way she was speaking was scaring me, it was icy and cold. 

"Stop? But you want to know the best part right? Why I'm in this place? Only then you can go back to your colleagues and say 'I know all about Kim Taeyeon, I won the bet and I get your money'"

"It's not a bet Taeyeon!" I raised my voice, she needed to listen to me or God forbid I’d use that pepper spray and make her listen.

"Well let's get on with it, I wouldn’t want you to lose out on anything. This is the part where it gets a little more exciting by the way... The two girls approach a HUGE fenced-in area with concrete flooring and a rather large building right at the end of the pen. It was a fair while away but that didn’t mean the two girls could let their guard down, no sir. So they crouch and almost comically swish their guns from side to side to check for any movement or anything that could be a threat to them, they also have officers on standby only a few blocks away in case they get into any trouble but those girls had been trained well.
They are convinced that this job, if executed perfectly could change their lives. It could up their rank amongst the other officers and also get them a raise, something they really need at that point. So with adrenaline pumping through their veins, they walk further and further into what we will call the drug pen. Can you feel the adrenaline Tiffany?”

"....."

"Nothing to say? That’s okay, I wanted you to keep quiet anyway remember. Once the two girls scope the outside area and deem it safe, they go into the warehouse and find…. absolutely nothing! Zilch. If there had been drugs there, they had been cleared out or hidden effortlessly since the floors and the walls coated with dust and cobwebs made the place look as if it hadn’t been used recently…or ever. So now the girls are slightly dejected, they had wanted to at least find SOME evidence. With sullen looks on their faces, they walk back outside but this time go to the back of the warehouse where it has some garages. Imagine their excitement when they see an extremely suspicious looking white van with out windows and a subtly tinted windscreen!”


I bowed my head, feeling awful because I wanted to know more. My curiosity was something I needed to get rid of somehow since it always gets me into trouble.


“Jessica says to Taeyeon ‘Cover me, I’m gonna go check it out’. She gives Taeyeon a peck on the lips that wasn’t ing long enough before crouching down and going over to the van while her girlfriend watches on with pride. ‘I can’t believe I get to call her mine’ Taeyeon thinks to herself’ Lesbianism at its best huh?”

"I never-"

"Anyway, while Taeyeon watches to make sure her girlfriend has nothing to worry about, she can’t deny the fact she feels slightly cold, slightly on edge so she decides to check out the area again, she also glances back at Jessica to make sure she’s okay from time to time. Just as she was crossing behind the warehouse, she sees something like movement and she automatically raises her gun and takes out her radio. ‘Jess I think there’s someone here’ Taeyeon says but there is interference and it can’t be heard properly. Seeing as Taeyeon is quite far away from Jessica now, she instead decides to check it out herself. Plus her girlfriend was busy, looking through the windows of the van. Are you enjoying it so far Tiffany?”

"Taeyeon stop, I don't want-" tears poured down my face as I tried to get her to stop talking but she didn't listen. I was finally going to hear what I had wanted to know for all this time but now I didn't. I wanted her to keep it private, I didn't deserve to know.

"Of course you do! You want a story to tell your friends right? So let's continue. Taeyeon passes behind the wall and now out of sight of Jessica, she is attacked. A twist! How exciting!” She smiled, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “It is a man the size of a gorilla, he’s huge and right then, Taeyeon feels afraid for her life because he has her hand that holds her gun in a vice-like grip. The force Taeyeon feels on her arm was enough to snap her skinny wrist in two but she doesn’t show pain, she was trained not to.
Knowing that she and her girlfriend are in danger, Taeyeon tries to scream for Jessica to call for backup but her cries are quickly muffled by his large hand that covers half her face. She can smell the cocktail of different drugs on his palm and it’s so strong that she opts to hold her breath or she’d be high in minutes. In his other hand…he holds a little device used to get rid of evidence quickly. Taeyeon frowns and tries to figure out what it is because his hand is covering half of it. Only when he shows her properly does Taeyeon finally realise what it is. Take a guess, what is it?”

“ing stop, let me leave” I ordered.

“It’s a square shaped remote and on the top there is a timer, on the bottom is a big red button. Taeyeon’s eyes grow wide and she screams and screams, not caring anymore that her flaring nostrils are breathing all of those fumes from his hand. With a sadistic smile, the man who is wearing a balaclava to hide his identity presses the button and the timer starts to count down.”

"...." I couldn't even speak now, she really believed that I was happy to hear all of this, that it was part of some bet so I could tell the other officers that I'd been the first to get through her seemingly impenetrable wall. That I'd do that for money as if selling her out.

"I bet you're enthralled now huh? He leads Taeyeon kicking and screaming over to the edge of the wall and peeks around the corner where Taeyeon is shown the worst thing she had ever seen in her lifetime... or if you look into the future, the second worst thing but that’s coming, be patient. What does she see you ask? She sees a matching timer right on the underside of the van. The van that her girlfriend had since gotten in and she was sitting right above it. Just in case Taeyeon missed what he said the first time, he points it out again except this time, he pairs his action with a word. Wanna know what he said?”

 

I shook my head and looked away from her, wanting nothing more than to have a hole just open up beneath me and swallow me up. Taeyeon then leaned close to me and placed her lips near my ear, her breath sending shivers down my spine and causing me to close my eyes to concentrate more on the feeling.

 

"Boom. That’s right Tiffany, it was a bomb." She said as she retreated back into her own personal space leaving me to open my eyes from the sudden emptiness I felt.

"Tae-"

"So imagine the horror poor Taeyeon feels as she realises that her girlfriend is sitting there whilst looking through the glove box for evidence she can gather to make this job successful for the both of them. Taeyeon feels desperation, she feels the overwhelming need to get away and to pull her girlfriend from that van and far away. Taeyeon punches, kicks and scratches while trying to grab at that remote that holds Jessica’s life but every time the man blocks her attacks while laughing at how feeble she is compared to his gargantuan size. Here it comes Tiffany, are you ready for the main event?” she asked.


I felt like the most despicable person living. I had led her to this, to relive the horror of what had happened and tell like a mere story even though the outcome was still unknown to me. 


"He lets Taeyeon’s mouth go and she wastes no time in screaming both through her radio and over to Jessica herself that there’s a bomb and she needs to get out but Jess is simply too far away. The next thing Taeyeon hears is Jessica’s voice, though the radio is crackling, Taeyeon hears ‘What did you say babe?’
With tears clouding Taeyeon’s eyes and the desperation continuing to cause her heart severe pain, she answers but again, there is no reply. Jess can see Taeyeon barely through squinted eyes flailing around and trying to sign for her to get out of the van with only her wrist hidden behind the wall where the man holds it firmly. Then….Taeyeon is let go”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter