`01

Nostalgia
 
It was a hectic and sunny day, but that did not stop people from going about their usual daily activities. The youthful energy in the streets of Hongdae was flowing endlessly. There were buskers playing music, street dancers busting off their moves, and various kinds of performance that entertained the crowd.
 
I looked out of the tinted car window, smiling. I used to spend my teenage days like the people out there. I often hung out with my clique of friends, laughing while we did crazy things together and and eating as much as we could. Oh, how I missed the freedom from those days. I couldn’t even remember the last time I was free and had a good time roaming around the streets like normal people.
 
Suddenly nervousness crept over me. There were too many people to my surprise. I thought we would film at a more manageable place but looking at the previous episodes of the show, it was foolish of me to hope for something that was certain. I grabbed a bottle of water next to me and gulped it down.
 
I was not alone in the car. My stylist was beside me, arranging her make up and accessories. Meanwhile, my manager was in the driver’s seat, currently answering a call.
 
“Yui.” He said.
 
“Yes.” I jerked up from screwing the bottle. He motioned for me to take the phone from his hand.
 
“CEO-nim wants to speak to you.”
 
I looked at the phone screen. My eyes widen. Oh oh, this better be good. “Annyeonghaseyo, CEO-nim. This is Yui speaking. What? No, it’s okay I have a free slot after this. Is there something wrong, CEO-nim? Okay, I’ll meet you back at the company.”
 
“What did he say, Yui?” He asked.
 
I sighed in relieve and replied with an assuring smile. I handed back the phone to my tall good looking manager. He was good looking, I admitted it. I was rather bored once and took it upon myself to Google my name, just to see what I'd come across. Strangely enough I came across an article titled 'Kwon Yui's handome manager', there was quite a number of questions about him and I doubt he has his own fanbase like mine, or maybe I'm exaggerating.
 
My phone suddenly beeped, signaling a new message. ‘Good luck, our little diamond! Don’t be nervous and just be yourself. See you tonight, You have to come! XOXO, So Eun.’
 
I smiled at the text. So Eun is my senior in the company but I always thought of her as my own sister. We were close ever since I got into the company, from day one at the cafe when our CEO randomly grabbed a passing So Eun to give me a tour of the company. That was the start of our friendship and we bonded well.
 
I quickly replied, ‘Thank you, eonni! Can’t wait for tonight! Take care. Lots of love, Yui.”
 
I locked my phone and shut my eyes. My schedule was packed for weeks and I had never been as exhausted as before. After my breakthrough performance in my recent drama, 'Shoot', my acting career changed overnight. It has been three years since I debuted as an actress but I regain a new-found popularity just recently.
 
I was grateful for the recognition and praises I get for my acting. My character as the second female lead, a shooter who worked with the female lead to avenge her boyfriend's death drew attention from critics and netizens.
 
I have never regretted choosing this career path, but I never imagined myself where I was now. I gained my own fans, more acting offers flooded in and even variety shows were itching to get me.
 
But there was something missing in between. I felt it, but I didn’t know what it was.
 
“Yui-shi, it’s time for Geurilla Date.”
 
//////////
 
Geurilla Date ended successfully. The crowd was supportive and I had fun with the fans. A fan, a male university student managed to pass the security barricade and kissed me on the cheek. It took me by surprise. I blushed red and bent down on my knees, laughing like crazy.
 
We reached the company around 6:30 p.m. I went up straight to the CEO’s office located at the highest level south wing of the building. Cubic has been my company for more than 6 years now including trainee years. Cubic was Cube Entertainment subsidiary company specially founded for actors and actresses, replacing Cube DC. It became my second family, whom without them I couldn't imagined how life would be.
 
Cubic's CEO was Rain, the one and only Rain. He was appointed as CEO the year I got cast. I was the first badge of trainee and was the second to debut after an actor name Park Sung Jin, debuted a year before me.
 
“CEO-nim. It’s me, Kwon Yui.”
 
“Come in.” He shouted behind the door.
 
I went inside with hands neatly folded in front of me and a smile on my face. Rain had his charming flirtatious grin plastered on his face, waving at me and gestured for a seat. “You look fantastic today, how was work?”
 
I avoided looking directly at my own boss. His smile was distracting despite knowing that was how he appeared to be. His actions oozed the playboy vibe but deep within he was the opposite, a loyal husband to a 5 year wedded wife, Kim Tae Hee.
 
“Tiring but spectacular. I got to spend time with my fans today, it was really great. Thank you, for pushing me into accepting the offer."
 
"My pleasure, Yui. Let’s get straight to the point, shall we? Now..." He passed a bundle of papers over. I took it with both hands and flipped through the pages slowly. “Take a look at this. It’s a movie my friend would be directing and they had you in consideration. I have read it at glance and I think it you're the right person for it.”
 
I read the synopsis and some scenes in silent. The story line captured my attention. I raised my eyes back up again, filled with a sense of admiration and excitement.
 
“The director is Kang Hyeong Cheol? The Hyeong Cheol? Oh my god, he wants me in his movie? You’re lying!”
 
Rain laughed and nodded. “Why? Too good to be true?” He raised a brow. He linked his fingers together and put it under his chin. “Well, he personally wants you as the second lead actress. All I’m waiting for is your answer and I’ll immediately call him. So?”
 
I gripped the script. I want this. I’ve been wanting this since forever. His work for Sunny really made me looked up to him. “Yes! Yes, I would accept the offer.”
 
I nearly squealed and jumped out her chair. Luckily, I regained composure before my emotions exploded.
 
“Calm down, Yui. Now, will you be okay working alongside Jo In Sung and Han Hyo Joo?” Rain wiggled his eyebrow, knowing that I had a celeb crush on Jo In Sung. He knew that was one of my acting goals besides working with Hyeong Cheol.
 
“You’re not joking, right? Oh my god, what is life, what is life? Thank you, CEO-nim! I love you! ” I could not contained the feels anymore. I jumped off my seat and hugged my handsome boss. Rain was taken aback but he just laughed it off. Girls and their feels.
 
“I owe it to you, CEO-nim!! I promise I’ll do my very best to make this movie a box-office!”
 
Rain crossed his arms as he watched me literally skipped out of his office as if I was in the clouds. You deserved it, Yui. You’ve grown a lot. It’s about time for you to shine.
 
//////////
 
I rushed back to my apartment after buying a new dress. My last scheduled ended an hour late due to technical issue. It prevented me from going shopping the way I had planned earlier. Disappointed and in a hurry, I shopped at a nearby boutique instead. And it cost me more than I ought to be spending.
 
I bought a black full skirt dress that hung above the knee, suited for the party So Eun would be throwing. It was to celebrate her engagement with her boyfriend for 3 years. Although I felt exhausted, I had promised her. Promises are not meant to be broken, they are meant to be kept. Besides, how could I miss my best friend engagement party? I have been shipping them both since forever.
 
It was a semi-formal party, knowing So Eun was not fond of boring parties. All her closest friend will be attending, including Idols. Not that I care much anyway.
 
I groomed myself to look as natural as possible, I added a soft touch of red lipstick and black eyeliner. I let my wavy hair loose, with just a few tweaks here and there to perfect it. My outfit was complete with a white sparkly pump and a red clutch given by a fan.
 
I drove my neighbor’s car to one of Cube’s family member cafe located half an hour from my apartment. Thank God my neighbor was willing to let me borrow. He was a guy, also a fan so that explained why because cars are like girlfriend to men.
 
The cafe was closed to public that night, making way for the party. It was located at a rooftop of a shop lot. It unexpectedly was breezy that night, my knees and shoulders shivered with each step I took. Just great, Yui. So much for looking good, you forgot your comfort. You didn’t even bring a shawl or jacket to cover up. I climbed up the stairs, groaning and complaining about how stupid I am.
 
“Yui!”
 
A sweet voice greeted as soon as I stepped into the open air cafe. For a moment, the crowd shifted their attention to my way. Despite being a little bit embarrassed and exhausted from the climbing, I flashed a smile. Awkward much.
 
So Eun, all dolled up in a white shift dress strutted over with a glass of wine in hand. Her other hand held her fiance's arm, dragging him from behind.
 
“Eonni, congratulations on your engagement! I’m so happy for both of you.” I hugged So Eun and her fiance who was devastating good looking with an ocean blue button down that showcased his well built body.
 
“You came. Thanks for coming, we’re happy you’re here. Right, darling?” Jaerim said. He wrapped an arm around So Eun’s shoulder and planted a kiss on her forehead.
 
She giggled shyly and brushed him off out of embarrassment. “Stop it, oppa. You’re making Yui jealous.”
 
“Aww, don’t mind me. You two look so adorable. You should have just get married instead of being engaged.” I chuckled.
 
“Look who’s talking. It's time for you to find yourself a man,Yui-ah. You're lonely these days.” So Eun patted my arm. She handed me a glass of wine as we made way to the center of the crowd.
 
I smiled meekly and shrugged it off. That was what I normally do whenever we got into the relationship kind of conversations. It affected me since I was single for quite a time. Not that long but still, those kind of talks were ones I avoided most since I was halfway through 50.
 
“Yui, want me to introduce you to someone? This time you won't regret it, I promise." Jaerim wiggled his brow. I laughed. The last time they tried playing cupid, it was a disaster. The guy didn’t showed up for the date and left me waiting alone at an area I was not familiar of.
 
"No thank you, I'll manage on my own."
 
The three of us stood at the center of the crowd. Jaerim signaled for everyone's attention by clapping his hands out loud. "Thank you everyone for coming to our party. It's a pleasure having everyone. Thanks for all your support. We have a special announcement to make-" Jaerim eyed So Eun and winked. "-we're getting married next month!"
 
Everyone cheered for them, clapping their hands and whistling. He cupped So Eun’s face and kissed her on the lips making us went crazy. Sheesh, these two. Their skin ship are just over the top.
 
I let them had their space as I admired the cafe’s decoration . I was jealous, but not in a bad way. So Eun’s life was about to be perfect. She was gorgeous, had a successful career, wealth and soon she would be marrying her ideal man! Every single women out there would felt the same way as I did if they were in my shoes.
 
I headed over to the drink counter and grabbed a cocktail. I saw Kang Joon a moment ago and wanted to approach when my eyes spotted someone I knew so well emerging from the stairs.
 
My breath suddenly caught up. My body turned rigid and I watched him, I could not help not to. His every single move, the way he strutted over to Jaerim, the smile he wore on his face and the details of him from head to toe. I was drawn to him. Every second seemed to pass slower. The moment I had eyes on him, the name kept echoing in my mind and nothing else.
 
Yoon Doojoon...
 
"Oh my god, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."
 
My body suddenly lurked forward by collision. The glass from my hand slipped and shattered into pieces on the floor. I snapped back to reality, dumbfounded. A guy apologized repeatedly but I assured him it was okay. A waiter came running.
 
Confounded, I bent down to pick the shards of glasses together with the waiter. I knew people stared and whispered when they heard the glass shattered. I didn't want to look at them, especially when I caught a glimpse of him noticing just now. Damn it, Yui. What's gotten into you? Get your head straight!
 
The waiter insisted to let him do his job. I didn't said much and rose ,only to be greeted by a figure standing beside me. A figure dressed in a black button down, looked at me with shining black eyes filled with nostalgia.
 
"Yui..."
 

 

Author's note: Hello, readers! The first chapter is up! For your info, Kang Hyeong Cheol is the director of the movie 'Sunny'(my favourite k-movie!) and 'Tazza'. The setting of this story is 3 years ahead.

I hope you like this chapter! Do subscribe and leave some comments! Thanks for reading, love you xoxo