08. Family Issues

If This is What You Want

I think this chapter is lame, but let's get the plot moving. Currently listening to zion T and crush - just, while writing this. 

 

 

______________

 

For the next three days, Hoseok has been keeping a very close eye on Taehyung. He had Yoongi hire a person to follow Taehyung everywhere he goes, and see everything he does. Since Hoseok's always so busy working, and he's rarely in one place for so long, there's no way he could do it himself. So every few hours or so, he'd receive a call from Jackson (the man that Yoongi hired) reporting about Kim Taehyung's activities at home. Hoseok could definitely trust Jackson, because he's been working for the company as Yoongi's PA for three years, and he knows everything there is to know about the social circle inside the whole building. Hoseok wouldn't have to tell him anything about Taehyung, since Jacksoon already found out from a colleague about the boss's new maid. Pretty sure that the whole company knows that by now.

 

"Boss, he went to the market today," Jackson tells him on the second day. It's still pretty early outside, around 10am. Hoseok left home with Minah three hours earlier, so he never got time to see Taehyung before he left. He suddenly misses that orange-haired alien.

 

"He went there with Jin hyung?"

 

"No, he went alone."

 

"Alone?" Jin must have been too busy to tag along then. "Where's Namjoon then?"

 

"He's gone down to the lawyer's office to settle some rent matters for the other properties. I think your father managed to rent off one of the property near Ulsan, and it happens to be under your sole proprietary."

 

"I have another house in Ulsan? Dad never told me that." One of these days he'll have to sit down with that old man and talk. There's a lot of things to ask. "So is he still at the market?"

 

"Yeah, he's getting... uh... let me go closer. I see squid, prawns, fish, a variety of vegetables, three kilos of fruits, a watermelon the size of my , a bag full of... wait, capsicum? Does he have a for it or something? Roundworms... deukbokki, dumplings, jalapenos peppers, more jalapenos peppers... I didn't think these ahjummahs would sell so much. Mustard! Oh my gosh, he just dip a jalapeno pepper into the mustard, what kind of combination is that?!"

 

Hoseok couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of this situation. Jackson sounds as if he's watching a football game and he's just commenting on every detail. For some reason, Hoseok's actually glad to hear those details, because it means that Taehyung is eating well, eventhough those cravings resulted in weird combinations. 

 

"Boss, I need your permission to let me step in and stop him before he kills himself from all those peppers he's stuffing into his mouth."

 

"Let him be, Jackson," Hoseok laughs. "I'll deal with him later. Anyway, keep on following him and I'll call you back in two hours. I have a meeting right now."

 

For the next couple of days, Hoseok has been showering Taehyung with undivided affection. He doesn't show it very often in front of Minah, though it doesn't stop him from giving the maid subtle touches on the thighs, or kissing him at the back of his neck when Minah isn't looking. Taehyung could only blush at his outward display of affection, loving the raspberry kisses on the tummy he receives in the morning after Hoseok quietly sneaks in to wake him up. He then pulls the younger male into a big warm hug, whispering promises into Taehyung's ears that he'll be back early that day.

 

Taehyung basks in the attention directed at him, not just from his boss, but also from Namjoon and Jin. Jimin and Jungkook have also dropped by very frequently much of late, usually at night because they're both so busy in the daytime, and they spend time playing with Taehyung after he's done with work.

 

Then there's Yoongi, who came by again on a Wednesday, with a lot of food and a lot more stories to tell about Hoseok. Taehyung enjoys all the simple, stress-free nights like this. It makes him feel warm and tingly inside, as if he finally found a place he could call 'home'. The last time he felt this way was when his mother was still alive, so he's grateful to Hoseok for taking him in. It's enough to make him burst out in tears on that Wednesday evening, when Hoseok pulls the boy into his lap in a cradle position so that Taehyung's head is resting on his shoulder. He starts to rub circles all over Taehyung's exposed milky white thighs, and when the maid thinks it couldn't possibly get better than this, Hoseok suddenly whispers into his ear, saying that he's the most beautiful person in the world.

 

Taehyung couldn't stop his eyes from getting all misty, so he starts ugly sobbing into Hoseok's shirt, while the older male panics over it. Yoongi blames his best friend for being an , and on the other end of the couch, Jin's trying to assure the younger ones that it's just Taehyung's hormones. The doctors did mention something about men being extra sensitive during pregnancy, as opposed to women. Namjoon's already passed out on the floor, his body leaning back against Jin's legs, using the older male's knees as a temporary makeshift pillow. The other younger two are just snickering at Hoseok, amused by his reaction when he couldn't calm Taehyung down no matter how much he coos and soothes.

 

"Oh, please stop crying, Taehyungie. I'm sorry if I'm hurting you. I mean, did I hurt you anywhere? Do you feel pain on your tummy?"

 

Taehyung couldn't even utter a single word without breaking out in more tears, so Hoseok ends up carrying him to the bedroom upstairs, guest room 5, where he plans to sleep with Taehyung that night. Maybe the younger male is just worried about the pregnancy. Or he hasn't been feeling well lately. The thought had Hoseok frowning out of concern. Or maybe... it's because of the lack of attention he's been receiving at home, since Hoseok's always working from as early as 7 to as late as 9, and is only around usually after 10. Namjoon and Jin have their own problems and lives to deal with, so he can't expect them to always be around Taehyung. Poor boy... he's been suffering alone so much.    

 

"Tae ah, please tell hyung what's wrong. DId I hurt you, sweetie?"

 

The tears have stopped by then, though his breathing is still hitched with sobbing hiccups. Hoseok combs back a few wild strands on his forehead with gentle fingers, a small smile gracing his lips when he sees how swollen Taehyung's eyes had become. He leans down to kiss away the remaining excess of tears collected around the boy's lashes. Taehyung immediately feels something grow inside his chest after Hoseok pulls away.

 

"Hyung... I-I just wanna say..." He stops for a moment, collecting his thoughts.

 

"What is it, Tae? You can tell me."

 

"I just want to thank you for everything. I mean... you gave me a home, and you welcomed me into your family. I know they're just your friends, but I'm still grateful for everything. Really. I'm sorry that I ended up causing you trouble, but I didn't think it's possible for a man to.. you know, this." He points to his stomach and Hoseok immediately understand. 

 

"There's no need to worry, Tae. Things usually happen for a reason you know. Maybe this might end up changing everything we used to believe. Look where it's gotten us so far. It's only one month since you came into my life, and already so many things have changed. You have a home, and because of you, I found my home too. I never really liked coming home before meeting you, since it's always so quiet and dull. But now I look forward to evenings spent with you, your food, your smile, your presence, your 'welcome home' greetings, even your weirdness. The only thing I regret is never being able to show you to the world, since I still have a duty to my family, but I promise that will change real soon."

 

A small lump is stuck in his throat soon after, and he realizes that something has been missing between them ever since they started... well, going out. Everything happened so fast and so suddenly that it never occured to Hoseok they've been doing things backwards. They've had their first kiss, first date and first within a span of one week. Yet, not once did he ever voice out his proper feelings to Taehyung by words. Ok, that's not completely true. He did mention it once when Taehyung asked him after the kiss, but even then the reply was a bit weak because he was afraid of how Taehyung would react. Now he's not afraid anymore. It doesn't take a genius to realize that both of them actually have feelings towards each other.

 

So he figures tonight should be the perfect time for him to express his emotion towards the younger male. 

 

"Tae ah, I want you to know something too. Remember last time you asked me if I like you?"

 

Taehyung simply nods his head, his eyes drooping a little now because all that crying made him sleepy. "Well, this time I'm 100% sure I like you with all my heart. You're different from a lot of people I know, Kim Taehyung. You're not afraid to show your true self, you have a kind heart and caring personality. You never fuss about silly things like what to wear or how to talk in front of others. You're just you, and I like that. I like you a lot."

 

"I like you too, boss." Taehyung chuckles, pulling Hoseok down once more for a kiss. Only this time, it's on the lips.  

   

________________

 

The former chairman is not what you would expect him to be. He's a plump man with a nearly bald head, with only a few strands of white hair left on the back of his head, while the top is mostly spotless. He's a man with a clean, cheerful face, very much like how his son is, and he has a pair of warm eyes that could make you feel at ease in his presence. 

 

But Hoseok knows better than everyone how his dad is, and he's no angel at home. He may not be the worst dad in the world, yet to Hoseok, he's basically the man calling the shots and weaving the strings. If he doesn't like you for whatever reasons he may have, then you're basically screwed for life. After all, having led one of the most powerful companies in Korea have made Mr Jung into a very powerful and influential man.

 

So when he decides to pay his son a visit over the weekend, you can rest assure how panicked Hoseok became. He hasn't seen the blasted old man for almost five months now, having been in America the whole time while Hoseok took over his job as a temporary chairman. Now that Hoseok has been officially made a new chairman, Mr Jung basically has a lot of time on his hands. It's just how he used to spend it. 

 

"Morning son." The former chairman's voice rings through the security screen when Hoseok answers it. He's still heavily laced with sleep since Minah and him had to stay up late last night for some last minute planning about the Gwangju project, and now he's trying to keep himself upright with only two hours of sleep on his body. Obviously he's tripping over furnitures and screaming bloody murder the next second as he tries to call out for Namjoon. Taehyung comes running in instead, with a confused look on his face. He's already wide awake by then, just about ready to start making breakfast. When he sees Hoseok in such a disheveled state, his first reaction is to remove the apron around his waist and attend to his employer's command. "What's wrong, boss? Is it serious? Do you want me to go wake Namjoon hyung up?"

 

"There's no time." Hoseok says in a panic. "Here, I'll open the gate and rush up to get a change of clothes. I want you to sit here and just... talk to him ok. Don't have to say more than ten words. I promise I won't take long."

 

"Uh, ok. Who are we talking about?"

 

"My dad." Hoseok voices out gravely, pressing the green button on the screen to open the gate. Then he's running up the stairs in lightning speed, taking it two steps at a time, while Taehyung takes the couch awkwardly. He doesn't know what to do in this situation, because a maid never attends to the guest directly. It's always through the owner of the house, and his job is only to serve refreshments and drinks. So when a nearly bald man with friendly eyes walks in a second later, looking around for his son, Taehyung immediately rises up from the couch to give him a low bow. "Good morning sir. My boss told me to greet you on his behalf. He's upstairs, getting ready."

 

"Ah... I see. No wonder he looks dreadful over the intercom just now. And who are you, young man? I've never seen you before."

 

"My name is Kim Taehyung, sir." He replies, wording out his name one syllable at a time. "I'm the new maid."

 

"The new maid? Ah, I see. The maids change so frequently around here that I never got the chance to greet one properly. It's nice meeting you, young man. Oh, do sit down. An old man like me can't stand for too long, and I don't feel comfortable having someone stand before me either."

 

Taehyung could see where his boss possessed his charming good looks and warm personality. Mr Jung is basically an older version of Jung Hoseok, or should it have been the other way? Jung Hoseok is the younger version of Mr Jung. They have an almost similar face structure, though Mr Jung's forehead is mostly dark wrinkles and untamed eyebrows now. They also have the same nose, bless the lord, and the same eye crinkle when they smile. 

 

"You look very young, Taehyung ssi. How old are you?"

 


"I'm 24 this year." He replies honestly, still feeling a little awkward.

 

"So very young. This is the first time I see a male maid to be honest. Don't they have another name for that? A butler, I think. Wouldn't that title be more appropriate for your position?"

 

"I've always been raised to be a maid since I was young. My mother was a housemaid too before she passed away, so I could only do what a maid does. It really doesn't bother me that I'd be called as one." He's already spoken more than ten words by then and Hoseok is still not down yet.

 

"I see. What about your father then?"

 

"Never had one, sir." He mutters softly, hoping that Mr Jung could take it as a sign to stop asking him about his past. He was born out of wedlock, so he never knew his father, but he somehow thinks that his biological father is still alive and living somewhere in Korea. He just never got around the urge to look for him. His life had been simple and memorable, so he prefers to keep it that way forever.

 

However, he soon realizes that Mr Jung is the type who noses his way around everybody's business, so he doesn't take the hint that Taehyung just gave him. "That's quite a shame for you. If you knew who your father is, you'd probably lead a different life by now. I was lucky that my father never gave me up for adoption a long time ago, or else I wouldn't be here today. I'd be living in a countryside somewhere, supporting a son and a wife, and things would have been tough. Whenever I think how different my life could have been, it makes me work harder in this life. I guess I'm a bad example, huh?" He laughs, eyes crinkling into a smile.

 

"This is why I tell my son: the path I lead you into, is the path that would save you and your future, as it had saved me when your grandfather kept me as his child. I don't want my son's children and his children's children to suffer one day, so I guess you could call it a favour from my part. I'd like to think that I've raised my son well over the years, giving him what he deserve. You should know by now that he's marrying the daughter of my best friend soon. I think the wedding is in another two more months, if I'm not mistaken."

 

Taehyung swallows the bitter lump in his throat, and he's suddenly feeling sick in the stomach. Mr Jung's words are like two weights bearing down on his shoulders, painfully reminding him that he would never find happiness with Hoseok. They're worlds apart; one is leading a strict life with too many rules and lack of freedom, while the other is as carefree as any. If both their worlds were to collide, then the one who'd be facing the worst consequences would be Hoseok. 

 

"That man, the one who agreed to give his daughter to my son, well... he's a fine man indeed. He's not someone you should cross. Well, I don't mean you, Taehyung ssi. I'm sure an innocent young maid like you could hardly cause him trouble," Mr Jung heartily laughs again, while Taehyung's slowly dying inside, remembering the words Hoseok told him nights before. Could those words ever come true? "Yet, I speak with utmost respect towards those who are close to me. Mr Do has always been there for me, thick and thin, good and bad. This marriage is my final gift to him. Of course, there is also his brother, Mr Min, whom I hold dear as a friend. The three of us are inseparable, to say the least. It's quite fortunate that Yoongi is good friends with my son, isn't it? I'm sure you've met Yoongi."

 

Taehyung croaks out a small yes, immediately pursing his lips after that because if he's forced to say another word, he might as well bawl his eyes out. He wonders when Mr Jung would just stop talking and why Hoseok's taking his sweet time. How much more hurt does he have to go through before he reaches his limit? Here he is, carrying the child belonging to a man whom he will never have, and Mr Jung had plainly just explained that he would probably never bless his son's marriage to any other but Do Minah.

 

It's quite fortunate that Namjoon and Hoseok enter the living room at the same time just as Taehyung is ready to get up and run; one appearing from the kitchen and the other coming down from the stairs. Since Taehyung is facing the stairs, Hoseok's the first to notice the slight quiver on the maid's lips when their eyes meet. Namjoon greets Mr Jung first before he faces Taehyung, and when he sees the pained look on Taehyung's face, he knew he didn't have to wait for Hoseok to give the order. He immediately tells Mr Jung that he needed the maid for something and then drags Taehyung out of the living room before any more damage could be done. 

 

"What did you tell him, dad?" Hoseok asks with a grave tone after Namjoon and Taehyung disappear from the living room.

 

"Oh, about your wedding and stuff. I was telling him how proud I am of you to have achieved so much in your life so far. Your new maid is a pleasant fellow, though I still think it's odd to address a male as a maid." 

 

"Why would you tell him all that, father?" Hoseok questions the old man coldly, venom is now clearly evident in his voice. He rarely shows his temper in front of his father, but he can't imagine how hurt Taehyung must have been after all that useless talk about the marriage. Especially when he's literally carrying Hoseok's child. Still angry with his father, Hoseok then remarks, "Taehyung is important to me, dad, like the air I breathe and the blood in my veins. I don't want you to bother him anymore."

 

"What are you telling me son? Why is he so important to you? He's just your new maid." His dad questions back, confused over his son's sudden change of demeanor.

 

"Dad, isn't it enough that I agree to marry Minah and do everything you want me to do? Do you need to mess up my happiness too?" Hoseok states, sighing heavily. This somehow causes Mr Jung to raise an eyebrow.

 

"What does Taehyung ssi have anything to do with your happiness? Aren't you happy enough just being with Minah?"

 

"I'm not happy around her, dad. She's just someone I'm marrying, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. With Taehyung though, I can be myself and not be afraid about what people would think of me. To be frank..." Here's where he decided he should be out with it. There's no point beating around the bush anymore. He just wants to live happily with Taehyung and forget about everything else. "I'd rather be with Taehyung even if it means losing everything I own."

 

Hoseok has honestly never seen his father so angry in the whole 25 years of his life. When the plump man suddenly pins him against the wall by the shoulders with such force and ferocity, Hoseok could see where his future ends. Technically, it already ended a long time ago, but this basically reminds him that no one ever defies anything his father demanded. It's either you go his way, or you die trying.

 

"How dare you disobey me, you worthless, irresponsible mutt! I raised you up for 25 years and this is how you repay me?! When have I ever given you less? You had everything, the riches, the cars, a roof over your head, a job that provides for your living. If it wasn't for me, your manager and gardener would be living in the streets."

 

Hoseok thinks the last part is a false impression. Namjoon and Jin are actually from well-to-do familes, but their families are living in the countryside. They wouldn't be living under the same roof if it wasn't for Hoseok who begged them to move in with him. Jin actually has enough money to buy a house for Namjoon and himself. It's not the end yet, though, because Mr Jung's hold on his son is still very strong. So strong until he could barely move his arms. This is the part where Hoseok could see that his life shall really end for good. There's a small smirk on his father's face before his mouth begins to move again.

 

For a split second, time seems to have stopped for Hoseok, because he could see his father's mouth move, and the words that came forth from that resemble an arrow piercing through his heart. He could see the final spark of hope inside him fading away into thin air, and a name crosses through his mind even long after his father had already departed from the house. He slumps down against the wall, pulling up his knee to rest his forehead against it. 

 

You wouldn't want anything to happen to Kim Taehyung, isn't it? Don't defy me again.

 

Kim Taehyung.