09. Between Two Lives

If This is What You Want

For the whole of next week, Hoseok is whisked off to prepare for the wedding. He has to attend a seminary at the church, since it's compulsary, and he honestly thinks it's unneccessary to stretch a wedding seminar into three weeks. Namjoon has agreed to watch out for Taehyung, because right now, Hoseok is walking on thin ice. His father may actually hire someone to keep a close on him, and he really doesn't want anyone to hurt Taehyung. It'll be worse if someone accidentally finds out about the pregnancy.

 

Taehyung is somehow bedridden for three days because a fever came in a day after Hoseok's father's visit, and Jin's in full charge of his care now. Yet, the maid is not the type to accept a week just resting in bed. He still gets up his regular routine time, prepares breakfast for the household, throws up in the toilet until he's sure he won't need to throw up again for an hour or two, before proceeding to the market for groceries. He needs to walk around and feel like the world isn't going to end yet. Jung Hoseok may never belong to him and him alone, but at least the man is there. He's alive and well, and he's always around to make sure Taehyung's fine.

 

The only time of the day that Taehyung actually looks forward to is after midnight. It's when Hoseok comes in with another flower in his hand and the brightest smile on his face. "For you, my dear." He says, passing the small white flower he picked up from the garden outside. Jin might hate on him for doing this, but he can't exactly get real flowers elsewhere when his father's lackeys are watching him closely. 

 

"Jin hyung will kill you." Taehyung remarks, chuckling at his boss's 'I don't give a f***' face. "Thanks a lot, hyung. That makes four now. Anyway, how was your day?" He places the flower inside the vase along with the other similar ones which Hoseok had brought for him for the last three nights. All four looks so fresh inside his dull looking room.

 

"My day? A lot of useless activities that I don't even recall doing. I just remember being in the car the whole time, going through your pictures on my phone and wondering what's for dinner."

 

"You haven't eaten?" Taehyung asks worriedly.

 

"I always look forward to your cooking." Hoseok gives him a cheeky grin. 

 

The younger male simply frowns at his remark. It's already past midnight by then, and Hoseok had just gotten home, but dear gawd, he still hasn't eaten dinner yet?! "Wait here a sec. I'll go reheat the food." Taehyung says, immediately getting up from bed.

 

"This is why I like you, Taehyungie."

 

"Is this all you take me for, Jung Hoseok? You're just after the food, aren't you?" Taehyung playfully teases back and Hoseok pulls a pouty look. "You wound me, Kim Taehyung. You know you're more than that. Of course right now, it's all about the food. So what did you make earlier?"

 

"I made salmon chowder and some pasta. Jin hyung took care of me for the past three days so I owed him a proper western meal in exchange. My fever is going away slowly, though it's still a little warm today."

 

Hoseok places the back of his hand against Taehyung's forehead while the maid heats up the chowder, and sure enough, there's a slight temperature there. It's getting better, just as he said, yet his face still looks a bit paler and his eyes are still quite sunken. Hoseok misses the usual, energetic Kim Taehyung who appeared before him a month back; so full of vigor, constantly happy-go-lucky. This Taehyung has been looking sickly for the past few days, and the pregnancy looks like it's away a lot of energy from him, so he's constantly tired and nauseous. 

 

"Tae, let me heat up the food. Why don't you just sit down?"

 

Taehyung is more than glad to pass over said duty. His back is killing him for some reason, and he's feeling a tad drowsy. "Reduce the heat to a minimum, boss. You don't want to burn the pasta right?"

 

"I'd wish you'd stop calling me boss when we're alone." Hoseok says, kissing the boy on the nose, and Taehyung chuckles back adorably.

 

"I can't. It's a habit. If I make a habit of calling you Hoseok or hyung, then Minah's gonna find out. We'll both die dramatic deaths with really lame and sappy love songs, and I don't want my death to end that way."

 

Hoseok stares at him for a second before asking, "Tae, do you like to dye your hair?"

 

The question is so spontaneous that it caught Taehyung off guard. He couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. "Yeah, I guess. I've dyed it purple and blonde before. I think orange suits me more."

 

"Well, since you like to dye your hair, I'd be happy to die  for you. Get it? Die rhymes with dye."

 

"I think... I think I need to go puke." Taehyung deadpans, getting up from his seat.

 

"Wait, I haven't even started eating yet!"

 

"Hyung, do you still want my respect?" 

 

Hoseok could only laugh at this, because Taehyung looks so serious when he said that, yet there's still an air of playfulness in his voice. "What do you mean, sweetie?"

 

"If I have to hear another joke like that, I'll tell Yoongi hyung on you." He's only met Yoongi for a couple of times, but somehow they've gotten pretty close to contact each other daily. Yoongi's basically the excited teenage kid who has too many secrets to keep lately, so he needs someone to store those secrets for him. Taehyung just happened to be pretty laidback and accepting about all the stories and gossips Yoongi keeps telling him, so he's now the new time capsule for Min Yoongi's childhood memories.

 

"You guys never include me into your conversations." Hoseok says sadly. "It's like I'm not even worth the time."

 

"Oh, but we do include you, hyung. You're the reason we talk every single night. I think Yoongi hyung have told me eight years worth of your life so far. I didn't think you'd be the type to still on a pacifier at the age of 8." Taehyung grins at the older male. 

 

"Nooooooo.... he told you that?!"

 

"And also how you panicked about having a smaller ding dong than Yoongi hyung."

 

"I believe that role has long been switched." Hoseok snickers back, crossing his arm. "Food's getting cold, Taehyungie. Feed me."

 

"What are you? Five?!"

 

"I'm your boss, so you should feed me." Taehyung simply groans at this before plopping back down on his seat. and shoving a mouthful of pasta into Hoseok's mouth. "Ngh! Umph mmm hove it fin! (Don't just shove it in!)

 

"Need I remind you that the baby is making me all giddy and nauseous and I want to puke, so you better eat up fast, Jung Hoseok. Unless you want me to puke all over you."

 

Taehyung watches in amusement as Hoseok's eyes widen upon hearing his words before he takes the fork and quickly shoves in large portion of pasta into his mouth, drinking the chowder to wash it all down his throat. He finished in lightning fast record, even cleaning off the pasta sauce from his mouth, then he's going after Taehyung, who made a run for the bathroom a minute ago to get rid of his morning sickness. to be him right now. The doctor said that most women experience morning sickness at irregular intervals during the day, while some barely feel it at all. Some would experience it at night. Unfortunately, Taehyung has it after every meal. Since he's always hungry for food after he puke, he ends up eating more, and that in turn makes him throw up again. It's a vicious cycle of vomit, really.

 

"Tae ah, do you want something hot to ease your stomach?"

 

"Yes please. But not too hot." Taehyung says over the sink. Hoseok goes off to make hot chocolate.

 

__________________

 

Preparations for the wedding are 60% completed by the next week, because the places for the ceremony and the reception have been booked and confirmed, the caterers have agreed to prepare a feast for 1000 guests, most of the invitations have been sent out, the bridal dress is tailored to perfection, the cake has also been tested, and 300 bottles of champagne, red wine, white wine, and Jack Daniel's whisky are being shipped over. To be honest, Hoseok is feeling all kinds of nervousness inside him. On one hand, seeing Minah so happy somehow made his day brighter too, while on the other, he's constantly reminded that Taehyung is waiting for him at home. Given the choice, he would just jump ship on the wedding, and head home straight to Taehyung, but with his father stalking his every move now, he knows that his days to the wedding are numbered. 

 

It's like that old TV series he used to watch: 24. He's Jack Bauer, and the clock's always ticking, pushing him into deeper waters. How much longer could he balance his life before everything crumbles? Who would end up suffering more if that happens?

 

As long as Taehyung's fine, he's pretty sure he could plow through this. 

 

"Darling, do you think we should call Yoongi oppa over to try out the food?"

 

They're testing the menu that day so there's plenty of food to feed the whole table. The only problem is that Minah doesn't want to eat much because she plans to stay fit until after the wedding. Hoseok feels a little unwell, so his food is mostly untouched. It's a big waste if no one finishes off the leftovers. "Call him then, MInah." He says, forcing down another bite of the caviar.

 

Yoongi comes over an hour later, complaining about traffic for slowing him down but it's all gummy smiles and puffy cheeks on his face. He sees the amount of food on the table, and his stomach starts to grumble. "You guys have no idea how happy I am to be here today."

 

"Just shove it all in, Yoongi." Hoseok says, laughing. "I need to use the bathroom." Hoseok excuses himself from the two cousins, dialling up Namjoon's number on the way.

 

When the blonde-haired manager picks up after the third ring, the first thing he hears in the sound of someone heaving. "Is it Taehyung again, Namjoon?"

 

"At least it's not so bad today. He kept on asking me to bring him to the park. Says he needed to take a walk. Since I'm done with work for today, I think I'll be taking Jin and him to the amusement park. Do you want to tag along, boss?"

 

"I'll be there in an hour. See you. Oh, and don't tell Taehyung that I'm coming. I think I want to surprise him with something."

 

________________

 

About an hour later, still dressed in his crisp black suit and leathered Italian shoes, with the tie slightly loosened to seem more casual, Hseok drives down to the nearest amusement park in his favourite Audi, catching the attention of other visitors at the park. Minah's in the passenger seat, excited about spending time together that day, while Yoongi's groaning about too much food in his system at the backseat. 

 

"Yahhh... didn't you say we're going back to your place straight away? What on earth are we doing here?" He looks outside to see people staring in at them. It's no surprise, since the Audi is probably the most expensive car parked in the whole area right now. 

 

"I just wanted to walk around for a while. Chill a little. When's the last time any of us had some fun?" Hoseok tells his best friend.

 

"Oh oh oh, oppa! Look at that rollercoaster! I want to ride it!" Minah exclaims excitedly,quickly undoing her seatbelt to get out. She gives Hoseok a grateful kiss on the lips first, thanking him for taking her out on a date. 

 

"Hellooo... just in case you forgot, I'm here too." Yoongi teasingly cuts in, before planting a small kiss on his best friend's cheek for fun, and Jung Hoseok could only facepalm over their childish behaviour.

 

"Come on, let's just go. You guys are starting to get on my nerve." He leaves the car, not noticing the playful merong that Minah is giving her cousin.

 

It's a beautiful evening that day; the sun is just about to set so the sky has an orange glow with a cool breeze blowing in the air. Hoseok takes a deep breath, wondering where Namjoon and the others could be. Minah suddenly appears beside him, linking their arms together, and he lets her. Shoving her away would just be rude and unkind.

 

"We should get cotton candy while we're here." Yoongi says as they walk to the entrance. "I haven't had one of those for ages!"

 

"I'm actually hoping we could ride the ferris wheel. I guess I'm just feeling sentimental right now." Yeah, he's thinking about riding it with Taehyung.

 

"Oh darling, you're just so perfect, you know that. Handsome, smart, friendly, and even romantic. I thought the same thing too! Let's just ride the ferris wheel and never get down from that." Minah says, playfully resting her head on his shoulder as they walk hand in hand. 

 

Yoongi could only shake his head at this. "We came here as a group of three, so stop making me the third wheel. It's f**king awkward, you know. Anyway, it's not like I bother anymore..." He then gives Hoseok a knowing smirk. Min Yoongi is pretty sure the reason they're here today is not because Hoseok wanted to take a walk. Heck, it's not even because he wanted to date Minah. There's only one reason behind all this, and it's Taehyung. That cute 4D housemaid with an adorable rectangular smile  It doesn't take a genius to read Hoseok's mind, and the small blush on his face basically proves it. 

 

"I got her." Yoongi tells him, and Hoseok feels so grateful towards Yoongi for always taking his back. Minah, on the other hand, hasn't noticed anything odd about this outing yet. "Yah, Do Minah, come here with me for a sec. I want to get some ice cream." 

 

"W-what the hell are you doing, oppa?! Yah, where are you dragging me?" She yells out at her cousin, trying to squirm away, but Yoongi's grip on her arm is so strong that every attempt of making him release her failed miserably. "Hoseokkie, make him stop! Why is he pulling me away? Yah!" She doesn't realize that Hoseok has already ran the opposite direction, whipping out his phone to call Namjoon.

 

___________________

 

"Hey, Taetae, do you mind if I drag Jin-hyung to the bathroom with me for a sec? I need him to help me with something." Namjoon says, giving the younger male an apologetic look, while Jin's looking at Namjoon as if he's suspicious.

 

"Yah, what in the world do you need help with at a time like this? You're an adult now, so go take care of it yourself."

 

Namjoon ignores him and is waiting for Taehyung to reply. When the maid gives him a small nod, blushing a little because he's suddenly thinking about... well, let's just not go there... Namjoon then drags Jin away from the waiting line, leaving Taehyung to wait by himself. There's still a long way before he could ride the Ferris wheel so he takes out his new phone (which Namjoon and Jin bought for him earlier. The old one deserves to get flushed down the toilet for being so outdated) and decides to search up images of Hoseok in google.

 

Unbeknownst to him, Jung Hoseok is actually watching him from the side, a large grin spreading across his face.

 

About ten minutes into waiting, Taehyung starts wondering where his hyungs are. What's taking them so long? His turn to ride is almost reaching, and if they're not back anytime soon, he'll end up riding alone. There's no way he'll wait another line just to ride it. "Excuse me young man, it's your turn to ride now." Someone calls him from behind. The attendant.

 

"Oh, uh, I'm actually waiting for my friends. Do you think you could wait a sec?"

 

"Hey, a lot of people want to ride this too, so if your friends aren't back yet, then you should give way to those behind you."

 

Taehyung lets out a big sigh, eventually saying okay to the attendant. "Let me on, then."

 

"So, ride for one?"

 

"Yeah." The attendant gives way to let him in and he enters a red coach, followed by another figure suddenly, causing Taehyung to jolt back against his seat. "B-boss?!"

 

"Hey Taehyungie..." Hoseok says, closing the door behind him firmly before taking the seat opposite the maid. "Mind if I join you?"

 

Taehyung's too speechless to reply, because he's staring at Hoseok with his mouth wide open.

 

"Close you mouth unless you want me to kiss it shut." Taehyung immediately closes his mouth, still a little shocked to see Hoseok there.

 

"Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

 

"I was at work. Now, I'm out of work. Why? Don't you want me here?"

 

There's a restless look on Taehyung's face as he looks out to see if there are any suspicious men watching them. He's still a little edgy about Hoseok's father. "It's fine, Taehyung. I won't let him hurt you." Somehow Hoseok's words got him real deep, and he turns back to the older male, whose eyes are serious now. Hoseok's not kidding about what he said. "I won't let him get near you. Ever."

 

Taehyung believes him. Truly. A warm, tingly sensation spreads through his body soon after, and all he could of right now is to kiss this man. This charmingly dangerous man whom he may or may not have fallen for, and just forget about the rest of the world for a second. It's just the two of them in a small cramped space now, as it slowly ascends upward, and time seemed to have stopped during those few moments of silence. 

 

 It's not long before Hoseok reaches out to pull the younger male towards him. Pull him closer until their lips eventually meet. Nothing in the world matters more to him than Kim Taehyung right in this moment. 

 

________________

 

Yeah, today's chapter is little lovey dovey with a side note of shiawase (happiness). Thumbs up to Yoongi for being a good sport! And even Minah can't be hated, right? Jimin and Jungkook miss the spotlight, so I'll bring them in next. Oh, if you're wondering where Namjoon and Jin went... well, let's just say they found a spot somewhere to... uh, go at it like rabbits. Yeah. let's just pretend, people. 

 

*squeal* I can't with these two. Why sho cute?!