01. A New Job

If This is What You Want

The rain isn't letting up soon, Taehyung thinks, dark clouds looming over the residential areas nearby Seoul as he makes his way over to his new employer's house. No dark clouds are going to dampen his mood, since it's been three months since he held a proper job. It's tiring to constantly jump from one job to another, each place paying him smaller amounts than the previous one, but Taehyung learns that nothing comes easy for a boy with no proper education and family background. He learns that people would rather hire a female maid to serve and live in their house, rather than an almost homeless kid with orange hair. 

 

This job is going to be his breakthrough for a better life. The maid agency who signed him up as one of their own gave him the good news yesterday. A man named...ugh, he couldn't remember the person's name, but his initial is J...or something....called earlier and he needs someone on a permanent basis. Your duty is to clean the house, cook three meals a day, watch over the place while the owner's at work, feed his pets and wash his car. Do you accept the job?

 

Hell yeah!

 

That's how he got the job. It's certainly good news to his ears, because he finally has a proper place to sleep now, rather than pitching at a random bus stop every night or working his off washing dishes at a restaurant just to earn his keep. This job requires his presence 24/7, and that's like hearing angels sing in his ears. He almost forgot that it's about to rain soon.

 

Now, you may ask, why did he choose to thread down this worthless path? Well, his mother had been a housemaid when she conceived him and she also died as one. He spent most of his childhood in her employer's house, helping her out with chores and errands, and whilst her employer treated him like his son, his kindness never went beyond playful remarks and secondhand clothes. Taehyung was never put into any local schools like the other kids, nor did he mingle with the kids in his neighbourhood. He was always at home; cleaning windows, brushing away cobwebs, and polishing shoes. He continued to live with his mother's employer even after she passed away, but then the old man kicked the bucket, too. And now Taehyung's just holding on to anything that could get him through the day.

 

He doesn't know how to do anything else but clean, cook, and polish. In fact, if he has to boast, his cooking skills could even surpass his mother's.

 

Just before the rain starts to pour, he ends up in front of a suburban three-storey terrace house and gapes at the amount of workload he'll have to deal with soon. Beyond the gold-plated main gate, he's looking at three expensive cars that he could only dream to own -- an Audi, a Mercedes, and a Porsche. Taehyung wonders how rich the owner is. If the house is not good enough to prove his wealth, his cars would certainly push away any doubts. He rings the bell beside the main gate to notify his arrival, and seconds later, a head pops out on the screen under the bell.

 

"Who goes there?" The voice booms, meant to scare him off, but instead he's laughing over the sudden enlargement of the man's nostrils when he gets too close to the camera.

 

"Kim Taehyung, new maid."

 

"Ah... I see. Are you transual perhaps? A manly woman with short boy-cut hair, or the opposite?"

 

Taehyung raises an eyebrow at him. "What's supposed to be the opposite?"

 

"A feminine man."

 

"Neither. I'm a man, and I'm manly. Come on, are you going to let me in or not? It's drizzling right now."

 

"Very well, very well, hold your horses. I'll open the gate." The screen turns black before Taehyung hears the heavy metal gate clicks, the weight of it straining to open slowly until a there's a small gap for him to slip through. He hurries to the front door, opting to get out from the rain first. 

 

"You certainly have a feminine physical feature." He turns to find the man on the screen standing a few feet away from him, grinning coyly. Said man is dressed in a handsome black suit with a crisp white shirt inside, and a black tie to complete the look, so Taehyung automatically assumes that he's the owner. But then at the same time, he has a deep sinking feeling that the man is also not the one in charge. It's probably the air around him, the way he acts and talks; as if he lacks certain authority that most employers do. It's not wrong to ask.  

 

"Are you the master of the house?"

 

"That depends, who's asking?"

 

"Seriously?" Taehyung has seen a lot of dumb people in his life, and he even dealt with a few in some of the jobs he had in the past. In fact, to put it frankly, he may have regarded himself as one once upon a time, but that's only because he lack good education when he was young, but the things about living and dealing with different people for many years have somehow imbedded enough street knowledge in him to know the difference between the good and the bad. Fortunately, that includes what's smart, and what's... well, not.

 

"Just kidding. I'm Kim Namjoon, the one who manages this estate and everything moving around and inside it. My boss is inside taking a shower. You'll have to wait for him. Come in and wait in the kitchen first. He'll attend to you shortly."

 

Taehyung follows after him, marveling at the sight of the living room the moment he steps in. Two words: cozy and expensive. The furnitures are economically arranged to make the house look bigger on the inside, a large brown rug in the middle with round couches placed on top in a big circle (sort of like a campfire picnic, except without the fire and the logs are made out of luxuriously expensive red couches with thick armrest.) Fluffy-looking pillows are arranged on each side of every couch, and there's one three-seaters, one two-seaters and two grand black armchairs on each side of the two-seater. A glass coffee table completes the look in the middle. The walls are adorned with abstract paintings, properly framed and hung, of different landmarks from different cities around the world. Taehyung only recognizes the Eiffel Tower and Tower of Pisa thanks to an old newspaper he found in the train once.

 

There's also a futon in one corner, with one large potted plant placed on the right side of it, and a small round table placed on the other. A magazine is lying on the table. They have to go up two small steps to enter the open dining area where a long mahogany table with fours chairs neatly arranged on each side is placed. Taehyung could not help but gawk at the simple but sophisticated setting of the dining area. A small empty vase sits on top in the middle of the table.

 

"We usually put flowers inside when the boss's parents come for a visi,." Namjoon suddenly states, startling Taehyung. "What? You were so amazed with it even though there's nothing inside, I had to say something."

 

"Uh... ok"

 

"This way to the kitchen. Follow me."

 

They enter the kitchen after that, and Taehyung jawdrops again. The kitchen is unlike any kitchen he has ever worked in. For one, everything is sparkly clean from the moment he steps inside, whereas a lot of houses (and restaurants) he used to work in do not even have basic hygiene. At least have a clean floor! He's not used to the way his socks just slide across the floor as he walks, almost as if he's ice-skating on marble. The walls are all painted white and most of the cooking utensils are hung up above the sink, so the sink looks amazingly spotless. Pots and pans are hung up on a different shelf above the counter beside the stove, and the stoves are... wow, completely spotless. In fact, the black surface is gleaming against the bright flourescent lights covering the whole kitchen. One look of the kitchen somehow indicates that the owner doesn't usually cook at home.

 

"He orders takeouts a lot. In fact, he only cooks once a week. The last maid we had was such a bad cook that he bans her from entering the kitchen."

 

"No one else in the house could cook?"

 

"Well, there's only me, the gardener, the boss and his fiancee. He could only make omelette and rice. I'd rather not enter the kitchen unless there's some instant food in the fridge. The gardener rarely steps into the house, except the adjoining room behind the garage. That's where we sleep; me and him. I'm not very fond of that room during the winter. It gets too cold to sleep in it, so we'll pitch the room beside the kitchen." He points to one of the two doors leading out of the kitchen. Taehyung wonders if that is where he'll sleep. The other door would bring him outside, where a large beautiful garden is growing. He vows to plant his feet in its lush green grass later. 

 

"The master should be down soon. I'll go check on him. Why don't you make yourself comfortable. Jin, that's the gardener, should be in the garden right now. I suggest you meet him another time. His mood is rather grouchy this morning. I'll be right back."

 

Namjoon then disappears from the kitchen, leaving Taehyung to stand awkwardly in the middle of it. He decides to take a seat on one of the high stools there, fidgeting nervously as he waits for the owner to appear. However, a woman with a black, long wavy hair dressed in a black chiffon dress appears instead, a little surprised to see him there. She raises a curious eyebrow, before approaching him slowly. "Who are you? And what are you doing in my kitchen?"

 

This must be the fiancee. "I'm the new maid, Kim Taehyung."

 

Her lips curl up into a small smirk. "A man? How odd. It's always women who do these kind of work. I'm Do Minah, the lady of the house. You know, the previous maid we had was not allowed to be in the kitchen." She stops in front of him, crossing her arms. But the smirk on her face is still there.

 

"Yes, Namjoon told me that earlier."

 

She raises her eyebrow at him again, but this time it's not a curious one. "Then why... are you here?"

 

He doesn't know how to answer her. How does one answer a question like that anyway? It's not his kitchen, yes, but at the same time, she's not the true owner either. She's only a fiancee. Fiancee. And why is she so rude? He would have understood her better if he's a woman, and women tend to be very predatorial when another woman enters her boyfriend's/fiancee's/husband's house, but he's a guy. A manly one, to boot. 

 

"I was not told that I'm not allowed to enter the kitchen, ma'am." He tells her politely. But she only scoffs at him. Another voice soon joins them and the scoff on Minah's face turns into a bright smile. She turns to greet the man now standing at the entrance of the kitchen. "Ah, Minah there you are. And you're Kim Taehyung, I presume." The man asks him, and Taehyung can't help but gawk for a second. The man is probably the definition of rich, powerful, and handsome. He has an easygoing personality, Taehyung notes, from the way he genuinely smiles the moment he enters the kitchen. His eye smile puts a tingle in Taehyung's chest, and his voice is deep. Not as deep as Taehyung, but enough to make his presence noticed. He wears a black suit like Namjoon, but unlike Namjoon, he actually makes it look like he's born in it. Like he's born to wear suits and leathered Italian shoes. His hair is styled back handsomely, his front bangs curling up to reveal a spotless fair forehead, and dark eyes. 

 

Taehyung gives him a formal 90 degrees bow before taking the hand extended to him for a shake. "I'm Jung Hoseok, the one who called your agency yesterday. Wow, they really did send a guy. I thought they were just joking about that. Your boss is actually a good friend of my mother's, that's how I got to know about it. Anyway, since you're here now, I might as well prep you about what you're supposed to do here. To keep it short, I want someone to clean and cook for me. I've recently been promoted to chairman of Kim and Jung Enterprise, so I rarely have enough time to come home and cook. The previous maid I hired wasn't so keen on cooking, so I had to fire her."

 

"She wasn't a good cleaner too." Namjoon cuts in suddenly, and Hoseok has to move out of the way to let him pass.

 

"Yes, that too. And this is why you're here, Kim Taehyung. They tell me that you could cook like a five-star chef. I'd like to try your dishes as soon as possible. Any other matters or questions you have, you can relay it to my manager. He takes care of everything else around here, but I'm hoping that you could take over grocery shopping from now on, Taehyung-ssi."

 

"A good cook always knows what ingredients he needs." Taehyung states cheerily, watching the scoff on Minah's face returning while Hoseok isn't looking. Seriously, what's her problem?

 

"I like your enthusiasm, Taehyung-ssi. I'm afraid that I have to leave immediately. Duty calls. Namjoon will take over from here."

 

He leaves the kitchen with Minah after that, and Taehyung can't help thinking, wow, with a guy like that, no wonder Minah's very possessive. 

 


 

This is how I imagine Hoseok's hair to look like.

 

TaeTae's hair is from Boy in Luv

 

Namjoon would look like this.

 

And Do Minah is an OC! Do you hear me? AN O.C!

Hahaha. Don't go looking for her. Such person does not exist. I didn't want anyone to hate on any female idols, so I don't plan on using a real person. 

But this is how I imagine she'd look like.

Anyway, the other BTS members will appear soon. I'll introduce Jin next.