Chapter 6

The ELF-Challenge

It was suspiciously quiet in the dorm. All the members were crammed into the living room. They’d ordered food, but over half of it hadn’t even been touched. There was no music, no tv playing. No one spoke a single word. All of them were glued to their handphone, tablet or laptop.

“Damn, these are good,” Kangin suddenly huffed.

“How do they come up with this stuff?”

Ryeowook scrolled down again, still raptured in the story. Siwon nodded in awe.

“I might even be tempted to read the rest of those sites.”

“Don’t,” warned Sungmin. “You’ll never be able to stop.”

Yesung eyed him suspiciously.

“That time when you had trouble sleeping and walked around like a zombie…”

Sungmin blushed, but cleared his throat.

“What about it?”

“That wasn’t because you were reading fanfics, right?”

“No…”

Yesung gasped.

“You were!”

“Fine, I was,” Sungmin quickly defended himself. “I got curious.”

“What kind did you read, Minnie?” Heechul smirked. “Did you find the ty ones? Or maybe even tried the ?”

Sungmin shuddered.

“I am not going near . That stuff is a bridge too far for me.”

“Really? That bad?” Donghae asked.

“The first one I came across…”

Sungmin turned pale.

“Some things can never be unseen.”

“Poor Minnie. You stumbled across a hardcore one, didn’t you?”

He nodded.

“Yeah. But you sound like you read those all the time, hyung.”

Heechul chuckled.

“So what if I do?”

They backed away from him. Heechul shrugged.

“Just because I’m open minded, doesn’t mean I’m going to attack you all.”

“Hyung… we’ve been on stage together. We know what you’re capable of.”

“That’s fan service,” Heechul protested. “That’s harmless.”

“For who?” Kyuhyun muttered.

Eunhyuk jumped up and grabbed Siwon by the arm.

“Siwon-ah, don’t go!”

Siwon chuckled as he recognized the lines from the story he just read.

“Why should I stay?” he grumbled dramatically. “No one cares for me here.”

“I care!”

Eunhyuk threw himself in Siwon’s lap. They all laughed at the silly performance, but Leeteuk suddenly got a very strange glint in his eyes.

“Now that would be a surprise.”

“What, hyung?” Donghae asked while he scrolled further down on his tablet.

“We should act those out.”

“Huh?”

They stared at him.

“I’m serious. These are good. You said it yourself.”

They continued to stare in shock. They couldn’t have heard that right…

“Oh, come on. Don’t you think our fans would get a kick out of seeing the movie version of those stories they wrote?”

“They’d probably melt.”

“Exactly!”

“Who are you? And what have you done to our leader?” Heechul gawked.

“Hyung, I thought you didn’t like fan fiction?” Kangin asked in surprise.

“I never really tried it before. But I kind of grew to like it…”

Leeteuk shrugged and looked at the others expectantly.

“What do you guys think?”

“Hell, I’m voting yes,” Heechul immediately agreed.

“I like it,” Eunhyuk said. “It would be like our Mini-Drama from a few years back.”

“But with stories the fans wrote instead of us,” Sungmin added.

It quickly turned into chaos as everyone got enthusiastic about it.

“We can write our own OST’s for it,” Yesung suggested.

Ryeowook’s eyes lit up at the idea. He nodded fiercely.

“So are we doing this?” Donghae asked excitedly.

He and Eunhyuk grinned at each other in enthusiasm.

“But how are we going to get permission for this whole thing? The company may have been supportive of the writing contest, but I doubt they’ll be so willing for the movie versions,” Ryeowook asked in worry.

“We just need someone to butter up Lee Soo Man for it,” Heechul answered.

They all turned to Siwon who blinked in surprise.

“What are you all looking at me for?!”

“Oh come on, the director loves you. Everyone loves you,” Heechul grinned. “We’ll send in Teukie to discuss the details, but we need you for the persuading. Work some of your irresistible charm.”

The compliment obviously pleased Siwon and he almost nodded, but then frowned.

“What about our schedules? They’re packed solid as it is.”

Everything stilled at that. Sungmin leaned back with a thoughtful look on his face.

“We can ask the company to keep our schedules open for next year. That way we should be able to work around it.”

“Right. It’s not like we need to get this finished by our next anniversary,” Leeteuk stated. “We’ll take it one step at a time.”

“You’ll send all our managers into a depression.”

Eunhyuk snorted.

“It wouldn’t be the first time.”

“We’ll need to get that permission first,” Yesung warned. “Not to mention the funding. I doubt they’ll be very willing to pay up for something so risky.”

Another silence fell, but Siwon smiled fully now.

“That I can fix though. I’ll pay for half.”

“Woah, dude, how much money do you have?” Kyuhyun asked in amazement.

Siwon grinned. Shindong leaned forward in interest.

“It could prove a good deal to produce this,” he agreed. “I’ll handle the other half then.”

“What?!”

He shrugged.

“I already have some ideas on how to earn the costs back.”

Sungmin raised his brow.

“We only just came up with the idea, hyung. How can you already know how to make money out of this?”

“A good business instinct, Min.”

“Woah,” Kangin gestured. “Aren’t we getting a bit ahead of ourselves?”

“Aren’t we always?” Heechul snickered. “I’m just looking forward to seeing our fans’ faces if we can pull this off.”

That got everybody smiling.