Chapter 3

The ELF-Challenge

“Linn!”

A loud overexcited voice rang out through the apartment. Amy threw the door closed and yanked her shoes off when she came in.

“Linn!”

She raced to the bedroom to see if her roommate was there. She frowned when she found it empty. A soft, much calmer voice called out to her.

“Kitchen.”

Amy ran over to the kitchen, skidding to a halt and spotted her roommate who was making herself something to snack.

“You’re not going to believe this!”

Linn winced at the loud volume and gestured to pipe it down a bit.

“Calm down. What am I not going to believe?”

“SuJu,” answered Amy breathless.

Linn chuckled. Obviously that would be the cause. There was nothing like a band of gorgeous men to get her friend so worked up.

“What’s going on this time?”

“They’re holding a contest!”

“A contest?”

“Fanfiction!”

Amy giddily threw her hands in the air. Linn’s face clouded. She could already see where this was going.

“No,” she spoke bluntly.

“What?!”

Amy looked at her like she’d been slapped in the face.

“I am not entering a contest, Amy.”

“Why not?!”

Linn sighed and finished putting her sandwich on a plate.

“I only started writing fan fics because you begged me to. Because you said my normal stories weren’t enough to spice up your day.”

“But you’re good! And you like writing.”

“Yes. But it’s a hobby, Amy. Nothing more. I don’t have any intention to let anyone else read those stories other than you.”

“But… But…”

Linn ignored the kicked puppy look on Amy’s face. It quickly faded when Amy noticed it didn’t hold any power.

“I can’t believe you,” she huffed. “You actually have the talent to win this contest. And you won’t even enter.”

“Why not enter yourself?”

“Like I have the patience to write a story. I’d probably faint trying to write a kiss scene.”

Linn chuckled. She could actually picture that. Amy watched in disbelief as her best friend kept ignoring her, reaching for a glass in the cupboard.

“But they’re giving out prices,” she whined. “Delivered by SuJu themselves! Aren’t you even the least bit tempted to try?”

“You’ve managed to talk me into a lot of things, Amy. But not this time.”

“You’re horrible.”

Amy crossed her arms in anger.

“Do I mean so little to you as a friend?”

“Yep. I only decided to live with you so I could pay less rent.”

Linn passed her by with a teasing smile, balancing her sandwich on a plate. Amy huffed in frustration.