chapter

Pet Me

Yugyeom slumped down on his couch, exhausted after moving all his things into his new apartment. His first year out of college and he's already made a name for himself out in the world.  Well not exactly, but he did have a good job, one that paid for his one bedroom one bath apartment equipped with an averge sized living room with a tiny kitchen attached. He had friends, the best of which actually helped him move in (but mostly because he might have told Jackson that his neighbor was smoking hot without actually seeing the person). Yep,  Yugyeom pretty much had it made. But he couldn't hell but feel lonely in this new adult-world. 

 

"You should just get a dog or something," Jackson advised Yugyeom after the younger had confessed to his sentiments. 

 

"But aren't dogs loud?" Yugyeom whined as he plopped down on his couch next to Jackson, "I don't want to get in trouble with the neighbors. "

 

"Oh, you mean that-and I quote- 'smoking hot' eighty year old next door," Jackson raised an acusing eyebrow at the other.

 

"Mrs.Choi is not eighty. And I never said whiche neighbor, " Yugyeom quickly defended.

 

"Yeah well until I see the other, I'm not letting you live this down. Man, I got a hyped up for a prune..." Jackson muttered the last part somewhat begrudgingly. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*whispers page break*

 

Coincidentally, it seemed right as Jackson was leaving Yugyeom's apartment that his not-a-prune neighbor was getting home.

"Oh, hey. You're my new neighbor, right?"

 

Yugyeom looked up to see dyed red hair and a sparkling smile, "Uh, yeah."  was all he could say, blinded by the handsome male in front of him.

 

"I'm Mark Tuan, " the red head introduced, holding out a hand for the other to shake.

 

"Kim Yugyeom, " Yugyeom replied and shook Mark's hand," and this is my friend Jackson. "

 

""Nice to meet you guys." Mark nodded at them before entering his own apartment. 

 

"Dude," Jackson smacked Yugyeom's arm.

 

"Ow!Hyung!"

 

"Your neighbor is totally hot."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yugyeom had officially given up on Jackson.  He tried to expelled his loneliness but inviting the other over when he was off work, bit was instead plagued by a gross, spacey Jackson who had only one thing on his mind: Mark, his redad headed (hot) neighbor. Eventually, Yugyeom caved in and decided to at leat try Jackson's suguesting on getting a dog. He already checked with the landlord and his neighbors and ab out half the people on his floor: dogs are OK,  as long as they're not noisy and are sufficiently potty trained. Which left Yugyeom on a bus to the closest animal shelter.

As soon as Yugyeom walked into the small shelter,  he was overpowered by the smell of wet dog and lysol. Dogs could be heard barking from some backroom and there were kids whining to their parents. 

'Oh my god. What have I got myself into,' Yugyeom grimaced at the thought. 

 

"Wow. You look really out of your element." Yugyeom turned to see a black haired boy holding dog treats in one hand and a dog leash in the other (no dog attached thankfully).

 

"Uh, yeah. I guess," Yugyeom rubbed the back of his neck bashfully. 

 

"I'm Choi Young jae, " the boy hung the leash over his shoulder and wrapped his now free hand across Yugyeom's shoulders, despite the obvious heighat difference, "And I shall be your guide to at most 20 years of fur filled fun."

 

"Uh-huh..." Yugyeom nodded wordlessly and a little creeper out.

 

"So my friend,  what is it that you're looking for?" Youngjae asked as he guiDE the taller to the backroom.

 

Yugyeom flinched at the echoing noise of dogs barking," A dog, I guess."

 

"Mkay,  well we have those." Youngjae rolled his eyes,"You need to be a bit more specific."

 

"Honestly,  I have no clue. I've never had a dog before," Yugyeom confessed as Youngjae pulled the other in front of a random dog cage.

 

"OK.  So is there amy thing you know you want? Like a curly dog, big, small?" Youngjae asked over the noise.

 

"A small dog,  probably. I mean. I live in a small apartment so..." Yugyeom trailed off.

 

"Now there's a start! This room mostly has the big dgod,  let's go across the hall to see the smaller ones." Youngjae gestured to the door and the two walked to the next room.

 

"So here's the small dogs. Some are puppies so don't get your hopes up," Youngjae warned as they entered the quieter room (a be it the barks were muchosen higher pitched and more annoying).

Yugyeom walked around and looked at the dogs, occasionally sticking a finger on the cage to pet one.

" Are they all so loud? I don't really want to bother my neighbors..." Yugyeom lasked looking up from a rather excited pomeranian. 

 

"You know, you don't really seem like a dog person to me." Youngjae frowned, "Every thought about getting a cat?"

 

"A cat?" Yugyeom repeated, blinking innocently at the suggestion. 

 

"Yeah, and for a first time pet owner they're pretty good. You don't have bathe them or comb them. Some cats can be vocal, but most are pretty quite. Plus you won't have worry about taking it outside ten tmies a day to go to the bathroom."Youngjae informed with a smile.

 

"But aren't cats mean? My aunt's cat pretty much ignores my existence and hisses at me anytime I try to pet it," Yugyeom cringed at the thought of the angry brown cat.

 

"Well it all depends on the cat. Some can be really friendly and cuddly," Youngjae smiled, " Come on. Let's at least have a look at some."

Youngjae led the other out of the dog room and into the hallway. They turn left and entered another room. 

Opening the door, Youngjae said, " Welcome to the cat room, filled with the perfect resolution two lonely days in a one bedroom apartment."

 

Yugyeom grimaced at the truth of Youngjae's statement.

 

"Go ahead. Take a look around,I will be over here if you need anything," Youngjae smiled and ushered the boy forwards.

 

Yugyeom follow the other's directions and walked into the room.Laying on the floor in a big E shape were  cages stacked three a top each other, all filled with cats. He was surprised by the silence in the room. Though, there were a few cats meowing from their cages, most seemed rather quiet. It was music to his ears. Yugyeom bent down to look at the bottom row of cages on the wall closest to him. There were a few cute cats,some more excited to be seen than others,but one seemed to catch his eye.It was a small white blonde cat, who sat in the very back of his cage, sleeping soundly. Looking at the clipboard attached to the front of his cage, Yugyeom read the short bio and information about the cat.

"Why is his name BamBam?" Yugyeom asked quietly, not wanting to wake the cat.

"Eh, maybe you should look around more. Hey, here's a cute kitty who's perfect for apartment life and look: she likes to cuddle,"

Youngjae lifted the clipboard off the cage as if Yugyeom could read it a criss the room.

 

"OK," Yugyeom quirk ed an eyebrow at the other before shuffling away from BamBam's cage and looking through some others.

 

When he had looked at all the cats in the room, he turned to Youngjae and asked," Is BamBam up for adoption?"

 

"Well yes but-"

 

"But what?" Yugyeom interrupted, returning to the blond cat's cage and poking a finger through the bars in an attempt to touch the cat.

 

"Well, you see-uh..." Youngjae shifted on his feet nervously. 

 

"What is it?" Yugyeom turned away from the cat to give Youngjae an indignant look.

 

"OK.  Truth be told, he's been returned often. No one seems to know why, but apparently he's very... Destructive. Hence, the name BamBam. "Youngjae sighed and stooped down next to Yugyeom, only to yelp when the cat jumped up at smacked the cage.

 

"Bam bam," Yugyeom chuckled as the cat his the door twice," I like him."

 

"OK then..." Youngjae gave Yugyeom a pensive look before motioning to the door," Adoption papers are at the front. I'll get the cat...eep, " Youngjae winced as he tried grab BamBam from his cage.

 

"See you at the front..."

 

Author's notes:

 

Just a bit I guess...I have no idea what I just wrote...dont kill me plz