Clumsily Falling

Creating Worlds [ONE SHOT SHOP | CLOSED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Requsted by: galacticnik

Characters: Jongdae/Chen [EXO] & Kwon Yejin [OC]

Premise: Awkward first date

Author: Admin K, DivinestSense

 

Clumsily Falling

 

Yejin’s head was going to explode.

What originally started as her friends trying to help her get ready for a date quickly morphed into them lecturing her on what not to do.  She appreciated their concern, she really did, but only for the first five minutes.  Groaning, she cracked her back as her friends rummaged through her closet—they had been here for over an hour, accomplishing nothing but forcing an annoyed smile on her face.

She had been on dates before and they had never been this obsessive about it, what was so special about her date?  It’s not like they did not know each other, if anything, this was going to theoretically be one of the least awkward first dates she had ever been on—the blind dates they had set her up on before were the epitome of uncomfortable.  Cringing, she remembered that one guy took her to a noreabang.  It was fun and cute, but when he sang a ballad, he began crying—how does someone comfort another person in that situation!?  She spent the following fifteen minutes patting his back and giving him tissues.

Nothing could top that.

Yet here they were, telling her thing after thing to not say or to not do—she was ready to throw them out.  Yejin’s date was in half an hour and she could only watch in exhaustion as they held up article after article of clothing before dismissing it and throwing it—she was content to wear what she was currently sporting.  Plus, by keeping her long brown hair in a bun, she didn't have to worry about smacking him in the face with it should the wind blow.  Shorts and a light sweater: comfy, convenient and versatile which was absolutely perfect given that she had no clue was the date was going to be. 

Part of her wished she knew what they were doing—she always felt better when she was mentally prepared—but he was the type that liked surprises.  In high school he had been the class clown.  He would say the most absurd things just for the sake of the reaction and he would pull the most intricate pranks (only to get caught, because he hung around, wanting to see what people thought).  Fiddling with what hair had escaped her bun—a nervous habit of hers—she hoped they were not doing something too crazy.

She was not cut out for that.

But he knew she liked to play on the safe side and as insane as he was, he wasn’t the type to force others to do things against their will.  

He was handsome (well, gorgeous, to be accurate), hilarious, intelligent, talented and considerate (in his own weird way)—he was perfect. 

And he was her date.

“Oh, don’t mention the fact that you sleep with a stuffed animal.”

“Good point, Soyoung!” Hana remarked as she examined one of Yejin’s shirts.  “Oh, Jin, avoid eating pasta—you know how your stomach gets—”

“I know, Hana.” 

“Don’t talk about your obsession for idols either, he might find that to be a turn off,” stated Soyoung.

“I’m not really concerned about turning him on,” Yejin muttered.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, guys, absolutely nothing.  I obviously have a lot to keep in mind—don’t play with your hair, don’t talk about classes, don’t instigate hand holding, don’t talk about my sleeping habits, don’t eat pasta, don’t mention idols—and I’m confident I missed a few.”

“Don’t be forgetful,” Soyoung deadpanned.

Glaring at her older friend, Yejin drawled, “Right, that one."

“Hey, no need to get snippy, we’re just trying to help," Hana said.  Yejin gave her a pointed look that clearly read she was not in the mood but did not move away when Hana moved to sit next to her on the bed. “I’m sorry, but this date is a big deal, you know?  Jongdae’s great and you’re fantastic and Soyoung and I just want everything to go perfectly for you.”

“Plus we’ve been waiting for this moment since, like, ever," Soyoung commented as she walked out of the closet holding a romper.  “Don’t ruin it for us.”

“Soyoung!”

“Oh please, like you’re not thinking it.”

“But I would never say it out loud!”

“You basically just did.”

“Guys,” Yejin pleaded, taking the romper from Soyoung, “I appreciate your concern, however selfish it may be, but he and I are going to be fine.  There’s no possible way that this could be awkward or bad or whatever else you’re imagining.”

Moving to change into the romper, Yejin almost face planted as she slid on a discarded shirt.  Catching herself after a few ungraceful poses, she slowly met her friends’ eyes.  Soyoung was snickering while Hana amused herself with jewelry.

Hana made a note to herself to watch where she was walking tonight.

“You say it won’t be awkward, but the moment even an awkward pause beats, all of your nervous antics come to play, do you not remember the school play, Kwon Yejin?”

“No, Soyoung, I don’t—I mean, it’s not like it was me who suffered through stage fright or anything.”

“Oh, and don’t be sarcastic either,” Hana chimed.

“I hate you.”

 

 

 

“Stop pacing, Dae, my mom is going to kill me if you burn a hole through her carpet.” 

“That’s what’s bothering you, Baekhyun? Not that Jongdae over here is becoming clinically insane, but what your mom will say?”

“He was clinically inane when I met him in kindergarden, Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun stated from his spot on the floor, glaring up at his pacing friend.  “My mother’s carpet, on the other hand, did not have a hole in it when I was that age—Hell, it was perfect until Hurricane Jongdae showed up.”

Ignoring his friends, Jongdae continued to walk back and forth.  They didn’t understand how big of a deal this was for him—this was the most monumental date he had ever been on.  On the outside, he was panicking, on the inside, he was sobbing.  He wanted nothing more than for this date to be absolutely perfect—why couldn’t they understand that?  Oh yeah, that’s right, because Baekhyun was concerned about getting yelled at and Kyungsoo didn’t even want to be here.  Despite their lack of interest in his despair, he really needed their advice and support—they were his best friends.

Nervously cracking his knuckles, Jongdae halted and faced the two of them, who were laying on the floor trying to sleep.

“Any advice?”

“Yeah, if you visit her place, don’t pace.  Carpet is expensive—”

“ you.”

“But on a serious note, don’t crack your knuckles.  It sounds like two skeletons having ,” Baekhyun stated, not once opening his eyes.  

“Can I go home?” Kyungsoo asked, opening one eye to look at his worried friend.

“No.”

“Then here’s my advice—if she wants out on this date, let her leave.”

“You guys as friends.”

“And you as a human," replied Baekhyun.

Once again commencing his pacing, Jongdae forced himself calm down.  He had been planning this since he asked on her out last week, yet it felt so unorganized that it was killing him.  He was Kim Jongdae—prank master and king of the universe, superior to other beings—so why did he feel like he was going to pass out at any moment.  The plan was simple; they were going to go to a park, eat dinner at a restaurant, then go to his vocal room and he would steal her heart with a song.  It was all so basic that it seemed like nothing could go wrong.

But what if things got awkward at the park because they don’t have anything to talk about?  Jongdae prided himself in being good at making conversation (or insulting people and brushing it off as sarcasm) but this was different.

This was Yejin.

So maybe they should eat first?  No, that would be weird—it would only be four thirty at that point.  But then again, if they were eating there could not be awkwa

Please log in to read the full chapter