What The Camera Didn't See

Creating Worlds [ONE SHOT SHOP | CLOSED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Requested by: Unicorn900201

Characters: Lay/Yixing [EXO] & Yang Lin [OC]

Premise: Two idol friends have to film a kiss scene, but Lin continues to have NGs on purpose.

Author: Admin K, DivinestSense

 

What The Camera Didn't See

 

Humming along with the radio, Lin watched the buildings pass as she made her way to the awards ceremony.  Anticipation was building inside of her as the limo turned street corner after corner—she couldn’t wait to be sitting at her table next to him.  Sure, it was exciting to know that she was nominated for a three awards and sure, she loved greeting fans on the red carpet, but nothing compared to the happiness she felt simply being around her former drama costar, Yixing.

The two of them met for the first time on the set of a drama.  She had already established herself as an actress and had several skin care endorsements and best-actress awards under her belt.  He, on the other hand, was an idol (stage name: Lay) who was at the peak of his career when offered the lead male role in the drama.  They had of course heard about each other, but since they occupied different realms of the entertainment industry, their paths never really crossed.  If anything, it must have been an act of fate that they did—she had only accepted the role because her manager told her it would be a good chance to branch out to the small screen instead of the big screen.  Plus, she was friendly with the director and the broadcasting station—it could only mean good things for her.

The plot for the drama itself was nothing special; it was a typical romantic comedy that would have girls wishing they were the main character—Jia.  Jia and Hei—who was to be played by Yixing—were childhood best friends.  In a twist of fate, Hei is swept up into the life of fame and fortune after his dancing goes viral.  His looks and popularity catch the attention of model-actress extraordinaire, Mei—the character Lin played—who is always searching for ways to stay in the limelight.  As the typical course of this type of drama went, Mei’s true nature comes to light and Hei and Jia are reunited and live happily ever after.

The drama did well for it’s uncomplicated, cliché plot and it shot Yixing into the spotlight.  Critics and production members praised his professionalism and his ability to transform from Lay the idol to Zhang Yixing the actor—even she would speak highly of him in interviews. 

But even more important than an award for best supporting actress, Lin gained a best friend.  She had heard rumors of the dancing boy’s personality and when she learned she would be working with him, she did her usual web search and learned what the fans and antis were saying.  Even if they could not agree on his talent, they all mentioned his kindness and selfless nature.  Of course, she took their compliments with a grain of salt—all entertainers put up that image if they wanted to be liked in the eyes of the public.  Lin had been to plenty of fundraisers and charity events herself that she was not necessarily dying to attend.  That didn’t make her a bad person, simply human.  The way Lay’s fans described him painted the image that he was an angel or something sent from Heaven above.

She was skeptical.

But all her doubts subsided when she met him that first day on set.  Years of being around actors and actresses made her very talented in perceiving how genuine a person was—Zhang Yixing, put simply, had a beautiful heart.  Everyone who worked on the drama became his fan and she was lucky enough to become his friend.  Even though the characters they played became enemies, even though Mei abused Hei, Lin and Yixing were friends.  What started at simple “hellos” became shared meals and cute pictures on social media of each other.  She loved being around him and at one point, she even thought she could fall in love with him, but once the drama concluded, it became clear that it was not an option.

The demographic that was targeted was teenage girls and because it starred Yixing, his fan club—known fondly by him as “Unicorns”—watched adamantly and closely.  To say they were protective of the star was an understatement—they were fiercely loyal almost to a fault.  Many of them dreamed that he would fall in love with them (something that Lin understood well, for she, too, was once one of those girls hoping her favorite star would fall for her) and many of them could not differentiate characters from the actors that played them.

Also a rising star, Yin played Jia.  Her performance was, objectively, all right, nothing too spectacular.  Jia was a likeable character—she was the typical girl next door who just so happened to be best friends with Hei.  Many fans shipped Hei and Jia, hence Yin and Yixing.  Lin had nothing against that (plus, surely just because she didn’t play the love interest in the drama didn’t mean she was going to like Yixing any less) it was the fans distaste for her that halted any feelings she may have harbored.

Lay’s fans hated Lin’s character, Mei, and that would have been fine with Lin if they didn’t start blurring the line between fantasy and reality.  Suddenly, Mei became Lin and she had masses of Unicorn’s at her door, spamming her social media about how she should stay away from Lay—about how they would never allow a like her to come near him.  Mei’s background gave reason to her attention-seeking personality and her vicious antics towards other actresses—Lin would never have chosen to participate if her character was one dimensional—but that didn’t make them like her any more.  She had played the role of many other likeable characters, but none of that mattered to them.

Lin would never admit it, but their words broke her heart.  Deep down, she knew that they didn’t mean anything because they did not even know her, but it crushed her that strangers could say such crude and horrible things to her.  Because of the fan’s reaction, she and Yixing stopped posting pictures with each other until they stopped hanging out in general.  They still texted and called each other, but neither of them were willing to risk her getting hurt in the off chance that a fan saw them.  She was just thankful that he did not write her off completely—that their friendship mean that much to him.

Yin wasn’t half as affected by it all as the rest of them.  She was already dating someone, so the fan’s pleas for her and Yixing to get together were cute to her—she enjoyed laughing about it on reality shows.

At the end of it all, when it was time for the awards show, Lin did not sit at the table with the rest of the cast for that drama—her manger and agency thought it safer if she sat with the cast of the movie she had starred in.  She had watched from afar as he accepted his award for best actor and she just smiled their (his) way when she accepted her award, only to return to a table on the opposite end of the room. 

But tonight she got to sit next to him.  It had been a year since their drama and he had refocused back on his music while she moved on to her next project.  As fate would have it, he sang the main OST and would be performing tonight at the ceremony.  Because he sang for her film, he sat with the cast.  Even though the hype of the drama had long died down, she was informed to be very careful about being too friendly with Yixing—they had to act like acquaintances.

So she would do what they told her, and sit properly in her uncomfortable dress and he in his suit.  She would dr

Please log in to read the full chapter