the party - one

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Thank you to everyone who stayed and are still here reading this mess. I read all your messages. You're all so sweet I teared, huhu. Seriously, I know I say this a lot but really, do know I'm always immensely grateful ♥️

 

Now, moving on~

 

These are all summaries? Yes. I write too much? Yes. Is it ending soon? We're getting closer... but not yet. Will I ever write shorter to end this quicker? Absolutely not. Am I sorry? Not really? ㅋㅋㅋ *hides behind a dumpster*

I hope you enjoy though! ♥️

 

 

 

meeting the parents


 

The party finally takes place and Baekhyun is hit by a tsunami of inferiority and a landslide of the reality of his vast difference from the elites. In a span of just one night, his lies grow to a tremendous amount he never wanted nor intended, as he pulls out every made up story he can of his fake identity after all the questions from strangers attempting small talk.

 

Baekhyun’s next and final breakdown.



 

The party starts off and Baekhyun - fully conscious and a walking zombie of massive insecurity - tails around his friends. He did not know where to place himself in the midst of the actual elites: the elders, the adults - the very founders, owners, the prominent figures behind the surnames his friends carry. It was a social gathering of various socialites where their status is not only seen but aggressively felt.

 

“Do I look like I belong?” Baekhyun talks to himself looking towards the grand entrance of the hotel; the venue already swarming with people dressed like kings and queens of the modern era.

 

No one was paying attention to him, but Baekhyun felt like they knew he wasn't one of them.

 

“What are you talking about?” Chanyeol, who heard him, pulls Baekhyun closer to his side. “You look amazing. Don't compare yourself to other people. You're the most beautiful in my eyes. Always.” He kisses Baekhyun's forehead and squeezes his hand tight.

 

Baekhyun instantly mirrors the taller's smile and for at least just a few seconds forgets the unsettling feeling in his chest.


 

♠️


 

In the party, Baekhyun experiences a far more desire of regret and to simply shrink behind the walls from everyone at the times he was introduced by the boys to different people. “It's a social gathering” they told him. “You're one of us, why pretend we don't know you?” Junmyeon argued. “You'll get used to it” Chanyeol said with meaning.

 

When Baekhyun gave in and said yes to going to the party, it barely occurred to him that he would be asked to mingle around. How could he have known anything when the “grandest” party he had ever attended in his whole life was a wedding reception of a couple he only knew by face held in his little poor neighborhood back when he was a teenager that not only gathered relatives but also neighbors who mostly came for the free food. He was one of them dragged by a friend. Networking and expanding his social circle was the last thing in his mind; it wasn't even part of his vocabulary.

 

Baekhyun stares at the man standing before him. He resembled Minho but decades older. He emitted respect, with his blue velvet tux matched with a burgundy tie and a lapel pin of glistening silver and crystals that he guessed are authentic gems; his hair pushed back and glasses a wise choice accentuating his features. He was not only handsome despite his age but he looked wise and powerful and Baekhyun just wanted to dissolve away from his presence. It was similar to Minho's; just a lot more frightening.

 

“Father Choi, this is Baekhyun, a close friend.” Junmyeon introduced him with pride.

 

Clearly the old man was fond of Junmyeon, with the way his hard eyes softened and even patted him on the head.

 

“G-Good evening, Mr. Choi.” Baekhyun bows like he was in front of a royal. He didn't know if he should bring his hand out for a shake like what's been happening with the other people he was introduced to or wait for the old man to do anything, can he even touch him or-- how is he supposed to act exactly? He was never taught.

 

But Father Choi simply nods his way for pleasantries. “Friend. I see.” He says rather thoughtful; but the returning cold eyes that looked at Baekhyun from head to toe with silent ridicule spoke what he was thinking.

 

Did Baekhyun look poor? Act poor? Out of place? Not belonging? Was he obvious? Was his status obvious? Baekhyun couldn't help but think anxiously. His self-esteem was just that rock bottom.

 

Junmyeon, who noticed the demeaning way the elder stared at Baekhyun, frowned deeply. He highly respected Father Choi, but he also knew he was no open-minded man.

 

Baekhyun felt the judgement through his bones.

 

“Father,” Minho joins in, “Please leave Baekhyun alone”.

 

A smile immediately appears on the elder's face. His eyes were still cold but at least… he stopped looking at Baekhyun and focused on his son and Junmyeon instead.

 

Although just a short while later, before Baekhyun was dragged away from Minho and his father by a clearly displeased Junmyeon, the last words he heard Father Choi utter slammed his dignity to the ground.

 

“The last time you introduced me to a friend of yours, he ended up betraying you and shaming our family name.”

 

“Ignore him.” Junmyeon heard it too, but told Baekhyun to just brush it off - as if it was such an easy thing to do. “It's very hard to find someone genuine these days and Father Choi has just been unfortunate to meet the unpleasant ones,” the older explained unaffected, unaware of how much it actually affected Baekhyun.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter