sixty-two

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

3.5k

 

 

Time flies fast and you are not even aware. Soon, the meeting between what used to be a lovely couple, at a quaint café where it all started, ends. An ending that meant deeper than simply a time shortly spent. Both Chanyeol and Yejin part ways in a way they have never expected but thankful of, peacefully.

 

 

Outside the café, they stand facing each other with a distance in between; a distance that admittedly pains Yejin for it used to not exist.

 

“Thank you, Chanyeol.. for agreeing to meet me today. For listening to me and giving me a chance to at least explain myself.” Yejin graces him the same ever lovely smile; genuine and undeniably beautiful.

“I thought I would never be able to.”

 

With the same handsome smile Yejin recognizes that flutters her heart, all the more at the sincerity that she continues to find hard to believe, Chanyeol answers.

 

“Thanks too. I know it wasn’t easy…”

 

 

 

Although it had only been a short time, it was enough to give Chanyeol the peace of mind he had been desperately searching for. It was painful, as expected of the truth. But Chanyeol does not doubt Yejin’s sincerity. He would like to hold dear her solemn apology. To willingly do so, to admit and say the truth out loud – he knew was not easy and makes her at least a tad bit admirable.

Although it had only been a short time, it was enough to give Yejin the peace of mind she had been slowly working on. To finally be able to apologize to the very person she hurt the most, to the person she still loves and values, a big weight has been lifted off her shoulders. The road that led to this day was not easy, going through rough patches and continuously giving in to the great feeling of cowardice. But then again, with the courage she had slowly built up, especially when she thought it was all too late, had all been truly worth it. One can only imagine for how immensely grateful she feels for the chance Chanyeol gave her today.

 

 

 

Before they finally part ways, Yejin brings up a topic she will not deny pains her, yet the need for assurance was far greater.

 

“Hey, Chanyeol?” She says. “I know it’s weird for me to say this, after everything, after all.. but…”

 

“Don’t leave Baekhyun. Promise me you won’t.

 

No matter what happens, don’t leave him.”

 

Yejin’s eyes do not leave his the whole time, searching for a silent promise. And a smile pulls its way up her lips from seeing the confused expression she receives.

 

“Baekhyun is a good friend.” She explains. “And I cherish the friendship we have, even if he is now your lover.”

 

“He deserves all the love he receives.” She adds, smile growing faint almost leaving.

 

 

The stern look she had caught Chanyeol off guard. It was an odd request, especially so coming from his ex-girlfriend, who he knew still harbored feelings for him. And he quite fails to understand, wondering to himself in silence: Why? How deep has their friendship been that he is not aware?

Chanyeol barely gives a nod in reply, confusion marring his features for her genuine words of obvious concern. But he questions nothing, and simply receives it as it is – a simple, earnest request for a dear friend.

 

 

 

 

“So this is it… I guess?” Yejin says regretfully, but with a wider smile to shift the solemn atmosphere.

Inside her, a wish to embrace him, at least for one last time, is desired. But she knew it would be too much of a wish. The smiles she had received, that all disappeared because of her, sincere and not faked, are already more than what she could have asked for.

“Goodbye then.”

 

Chanyeol merely gives her a nod and a short, simple “Next time.”

 

The sincerity in his voice cannot be mistaken, and it was enough to send Yejin a confusing kind of pain. Relief? Happiness? Regret? How the meaning of two simple words can leave such a strong impact, for she expected this to be their last and a next time would be too hopeful.

 

With one last flash of a smile, Chanyeol finally leaves.

 

 

Yejin watches as Chanyeol crosses the street, his figure moving further away like this is all a last. Even despite his surprising not-goodbye, it still felt.. final. It is probably because not once has Chanyeol looked back – not a glance, not a wave, nothing. Unlike the big wide grins, hearty waves, enthusiastic goodbyes and loud I love yous she received when they were still together back then.

 

Han Yejin may still love Park Chanyeol, just as much as she did before. But it is now time for her to equally let go. After years of living in guilt of a secret, a year of living carrying a heavy lie, another year living in the dark of great remorse, feeling pain all throughout – she can finally move forward.

She does not know if Chanyeol has forgiven her, nothing was said further on his end. But the smiles she received from the very beginning, the apparent sincerity reflecting in what she last saw were dark orbs of anger and regret, now with not even a hint of bitterness nor resentment, were all enough. That day will come, maybe it won’t. What matters the most is that she has finally apologized; she has finally said her side.

 

With one last look at the figure that once loved her dearly, she leaves with her chin held higher than before, and a genuine smile that reflected the lightness of her once heavy heart.

 

 

 

Standing by his car, Chanyeol watches as Yejin leaves – walking away with that familiar elegant grace she always exuded even from afar. And he muses in silence, with a heart weighing a ton lighter than yesterday. For today, he has finally gotten answers. Answers to the questions he had been desperately seeking for months on end. Now, he can finally love Baekhyun, for all the love he could give, with no longer the haunting questions of his past.

He may not have forgiven her yet, that is quite a hard thing to do after all the pain he had gone through, from the lies and deceit. The long sleepless nights, wondering what he had done wrong, what could have been, the what ifs. The state of simply existing, losing the will to live he was put through. But he hopes one day he will be able to. Only time will tell. However, if before he had decided to bury this part of his life, thrown away forgotten like it never happened, today, he decides differently.

Park Chanyeol once loved Han Yejin. Their memories together were undeniably memorable, genuine happiness that once existed. She is part of his past, his life. Their relationship may have ended abruptly, roughly, full of bitterness and resentment. But it was also a relationship that taught him many important lessons. It was a relationship that molded a far better Park Chanyeol of today.

For that, a goodbye was too final. Perhaps, indeed, a next time would come for the two of them. Besides, both Yejin and Baekhyun are friends. Chanyeol need not to further delve in to know that Yejin is genuine on their friendship. Who is Chanyeol to stop them? A past is past, after all. Maybe one day, if time permits, all three of them can meet comfortably with no ill-feelings or awkwardness. For Baekhyun, Chanyeol is willing to put the ugly past aside, anything for Baekhyun’s happiness.

 

With one last look at the figure that once lighted up his world, he enters his car. With one last look at the place where it all began, he drives out of the lot with a faint yet genuine smile that reflected the lightness of his once restless heart. And he drove with only one thought in mind, Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

Their relationship has finally come to a close; a chapter of their lives that they can finally end with a lighter heart and a peace of mind. Closure, they have both gained.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

»» ♠♠♠ ««

 

 

 

 

“Minho hyung?”

 

Bleary from just waking up from his slumber, Baekhyun calls out unconsciously to the last person he saw. But minutes pass and he receives no reply. Sleep then begins to drain out of him, an immediate change from a sleepy state to a growing panic.

 

“Hyung?” he calls out louder, sitting up from the bed as he looked around, ears trying to catch the littlest sound from anywhere in the penthouse. The slightest sign just to reassure himself he is not alone.. he is not left.

 

“Minho hyung!?” a louder call, this time with seeping desperation. But again, only silence greets him, a rather deafening one that is beginning to bring him to panicked frenzy. “Minho hyung!!”

 

In a desperate effort to find the older and with a struggling effort due to the wounds on his feet, Baekhyun leaves the bedroom. He was staggering in his walk. The pressure for every step he makes pains the still fresh wounds of yesterday. But at the same time, all was numb, because Baekhyun is currently clouded by panic and terror. That in his still bleary state of mind nothing matters at the moment but to find someone else’s presence in the penthouse.

Everything at the moment felt like a nightmare come true. The ultimate fear of being left abandoned by his friends after finding out the truth, takes over in seconds.

 

“Hyung! Please--” He continues to cry out, tears beginning to well up in his eyes as desperation and fear begins to catch up with him. But all he ever receives is silence.

 

“…don’t leave me.”

 

 

 

 

In the living room, Baekhyun’s legs give out, succumbing to the pain

Please log in to read the full chapter