ten

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

!! »

Word Count: 1918

 

 

The night was cold and freezing as it was late in the evening, the streets almost empty. His legs ached, his head ached, his arms ached, and he was exhausted.

 

Along the usual buzzing café of Mondays, Baekhyun had to rush to places back and forth as well as carry back home a large canvas half his height and other several things. Today was just a busy day.

 

On one of his art classes, they were tasked to work on a painting that applied the different principles of design, which led to Baekhyun and his entire class having to carry a huge canvas all around school. It got him feeling frustrated, don’t get him wrong though he loved what they were doing and it got Baekhyun feeling all excited for working on a canvas.. but, that did not mean he liked carrying it around.

 

The other students were privileged enough to have their drivers or tagging along maids to carry their things for them, or students who were still privileged enough to carry it at least half the campus to their respective art rooms. Unfortunately for Baekhyun, he wasn’t one of them.

 

He had to drag it with lots of effort from campus all the way to his apartment because he had no means of transportation, no money for it as well. And that explains why he left the school late into the night and has been walking for the past fifteen minutes; this is to avoid questioning stares from fellow students because he had no ride of his own and why he did not even consider taking a taxi like the others.

 

 

A distance away the university gates were three familiar cars parked in front of one of the restaurants across the road he was currently walking on. A rush of cold blood went through his body and he froze. It was Minho, Jongdae and Chanyeol’s car.

 

From the window of the restaurant, Baekhyun spotted the group, and it seems that they were all done as they all stood up consecutively to leave their table. To which added to Baekhyun’s already risen panic.

 

In his frozen state of mind, he barely snapped out of it and nearly dropped the canvas he already barely held on to. It was the sound of Minho's car beeping alerting him of the smart key’s functions that snapped him back to extreme panic and alert level.

 

With a hell lot of struggle, he rushed his way behind the nearest object he can hide behind with—which was unfortunately a large dirty old green dumpster with a used diaper sticking out just above his head where he’s crouched at.

 

Ignoring the foul smell and surroundings, he took a cautious peek from behind to see if they were still there or the coast was clear—obviously they were still there since he hadn’t heard the cars start their engines yet. The sounds of Jongdae’s obnoxious laughter, Jongin’s shrill shouts due to Jongdae’s pissing him off, Tao’s over enthusiastic squeal goodbyes, and Junmyeon’s motherly voice reminding them to get home safely filled the otherwise peaceful air.

 

As Baekhyun watched them from behind, trying to be hidden as possible; he felt a sense of loneliness. They were all happy and the mood seemed celebratory but he wasn’t there to bask on the same happy air as them. The thought sent a pang of pain to his chest.

 

 

His once panicked demeanor now turned into a slouch of defeat as he continued to watch, feelings of envy at the scene unfolding in front of him. But before he felt tears of pain come out of his eyes, he heard his name being mentioned.

 

“Wish Baekhyun was here, it feels incomplete without him.” Tao says with a sigh. Junmyeon pats his shoulder comfortingly and nods his head in agreement.

 

“We should have invited him I swear.. I just got an A+ for my midterm’s debate and Minho hyung was even praised in front of the audience!!! I want to see his puppy smiling face.” Jongdae says.

 

“As much as I agree with you guys, you also have to remember that openly inviting him out would cause unnecessary attention on his part. We don’t want him troubling himself due to our carelessness.” Minho states.

 

“Minho's right. The last time we openly invited a friend caused him a ton of our fans openly opposing of his addition to the ‘team’. We don’t want that happening to Baekhyun now do we?” Junmyeon laughs lightly but a protective tone evident on his voice.

 

“Isn’t it amusing though? Over two years into university we’ve spent it only with the six of us, but then Baekhyun comes into the picture and it’s barely a year and his absence is already affecting us.” Jongin says with a fond smile while the rest agrees fondly.

 

Standing beside Junmyeon, Minho eyes Chanyeol who was leaning back against his car, a faraway look on his face.

 

 

Streaks of tears streamed down Baekhyun’s face as he overheard the conversation—a rush of warmth, joy, happiness but also mixe

Please log in to read the full chapter