Chapter 20

Let It Go

"Can we stay for a little longer?"

"Ok. Someone's like a baby today"

 

Young Saeng stole a quick kiss on Hae Yeon's cheek when she rested on his shoulder.
Though she rarely spoke about it, he knew that the reason was because it had been some time
since they spent time together like this. And he felt guilty for neglecting her.

 

"I'll be on the night shift again starting tomorrow, so we'll see less of each other"

"I'm sorry. I should be able to take some time off soon after this case, shall we go on a holiday?"

"Really?!"

 

He chuckled when his girl sat up immediately and looked at him eagerly.
A change of pace and scenery will be a good break from their hectic lifestyles.

 

"Is there any where you'd like to visit?"

"Kyoto. It'll be autumn soon and it's gonna be really beautiful with all the maple trees"

"But we have them here too"

"It's a different scenery. And there are the onsens…"

"Ah… I see… so you can't wait to get into one with me"

"What?!"

"Alright, let's go to Kyoto then"

"I can't wait to try out the women's bath!"

"You ..."

---

 

"Coffee for the sleepyhead"

 

A can of coffee was placed on Hae Yeon's desk right after she let out a yawn, and she looked up
to find Hyun Joong standing next to her.

After a well spent day off with Young Saeng, she returned to work on the night shift and was going
through some notes before going out for her rounds.

 

"Thank you, Hyun Joong-ssi"

"So cold, like a stranger. How's Young Saengie doing?"

 

Hyun Joong teased as he pulled a chair over to sit beside her. Ever since the incident, they had gotten
closer and would meet up for meals together with Young Saeng when their schedules permitted.

 

"Can't help it, we're at work and I don't want to get death glares from your admirers. He's still as busy as usual"

"That stubborn otter"

"Oppa, do you know of any way to talk him into changing his profession?"

"Have you spoken to him about it?"

"Not really, it's just a thought. It's too dangerous. I wouldn't stop him if it was something he loved to do,
but it seems like something else…"

"Has he told you anything?"

"About what?"

"I believe he'll tell you about it when the time is right"

 

Sensing that it was something she shouldn't pry on, she decided to change the topic instead.

 

"I never got to ask you this since he always warned me not to... How was he like back in school?"

"Similar to how he is now"

"Really? Was he popular with girls?"

"Why don't you ask him this yourself?"

"He wouldn't tell me"

"Is it that important?"

"Of course! I'm trying to find my comeback. He asked about my school days and got upset when
I told him about it, but he wouldn't tell me about his. 
Oh, and he refused to let me display photographs
at home except for those with him!"

"This guy…"

 

---

 

"Target has finished transaction. Now moving towards goods. All escape routes have been secured."

 

With a gun in his hands, Young Saeng stood pressed up against the wall by the back door of the abandoned factory.
After receiving an update over the receiver, he began giving his instructions.

 

"All units on standby. We'll all enter in exactly 5 minutes from now."

 

The team will be moving in to bust the major drug transaction that was taking place and confiscating the goods.
More importantly, Viper was the main target of this operation.
And Young Saeng was determined to go all out to make sure he doesn't escape.

 

"Hands up! We will not shoot if you cooperate"

 

His men proceeded to make arrests, and upon seeing Young Saeng, Viper smirked and began walking towards him slowly. 

 

"It's been some time, my friend"

"Stay where you are and raise your hands. You're not gonna get out this time"

"Such confidence. Oh well, you must have been very well prepared for this"

"Just give up and surrender"

"How hostile. Why don't you put down your gun and have a chat with your old friend?"

"There's nothing to talk about"

 

Seeing that his men were about to shoot as Viper came up right in front of him, Young Saeng raised a hand to stop them.
He pressed his gun against Viper's chest however, as he moved in close to whisper into his ears.

 

"You really protected your girl well. How about we make a deal? 5 million. 
Plus I'll leave you and your girl alone for good. Get your men to retreat now"

"You know that's not going to happen"

"Why are you so stubborn? Why do you always have to sabotage my biggest deals?"

 

Young Saeng pulled the trigger as Viper grabbed him by the collar and braced himself for the gun fight that
was about to happen. He had wished to avoid this by trying to take him on alone as much as possible.

 

"Why don't you just give up? You know you're surrounded. Let go of me, or my men will shoot any time"

"We'll see who gets out alive"

 

A shot was fired and Young Saeng swiftly caught hold of Viper while he was distracted.
He lost him however as one of Viper's men hit him on the head, but picked himself up immediately and 
began running after them as they headed towards the exit.

A scuffle ensued when he managed to catch up with them, and he pinned Viper onto the floor while
attempting to get hold of him. It was then when Young Saeng noticed that he was now holding a knife.

 

"Die!"

 

Within a split second, the knife was into his chest and the sharp pain that followed caused him
to lose his grip on the man he was holding.

 

"Young Saeng hyung!"

 

---

 

"We have an emergency, get the operating theatre ready!"

 

Hae Yeon put on her coat immediately when she heard Hyun Joong's instructions after he put down the phone.

 

"A cop in his 20s. Blood pressure is extremely low. Suspected to have a punctured lung from a knife stab"

 

Hae Yeon's POV
He was at home when I left for work. it can't be him.

 

Despite such situations being a norm for working on the night shift, she couldn't help but feel uneasy as part
of the team made their way to the lobby to await the arrival of the ambulance.

She thought she saw Hyun Joong glancing at her for a brief moment as he helped to lift the patient onto the
stretcher, and as she walked alongside to help to wheel him into the towards the operating theatre, her worst
fear was confirmed as she caught sight of the unconscious person lying on it.

 

"Oppa!"

"Hae Yeon-ssi…"

"How can this happen? I told you I don't wanna ever see you in the emergency room!"

"Hae Yeon ah, this is not the time to panic"

 

She was helped by Hyun Joong who saw her stumble, and he held her back just as they were entering the theatre.

 

"I'll save him!"

"Don't go in if you can't get yourself together. We can't afford any mistakes"

"…"

 

Hyun Joong's POV
She won't be able to work in this state, she's in a complete mess… 

 

"There's no time to waste. I'll call for someone else to take over"

"I'll do it!"

"Young Saeng won't want to see you like this. You're not in the state to -"

"1 minute. Please let me do it, I can do it!"

 

Hae Yeon bowed to her senior Hyun Joong and remained in that position until he gave in with a nod.
She leaned against the wall for support after he went ahead into the operating theatre and placed a
hand on her chest, taking slow deep breaths to calm herself down.

 

Hae Yeon's POV
You have to pick yourself up, Choi Hae Yeon.
He's going to be ok, you can do it…
Hyun Joong will save him too

"I'll save you, Oppa. You can't leave me now…"

.........................................................................................................................................................................

hope you all had a great week!
sorry i have to stop here cos i'm still not happy with the next chapter, but it should be ready soon ^^
hi sweetaselle! glad you're enjoying it & thanks for dropping a comment!