Chapter 13

Let It Go

"Hi, are you alone? Can I buy you a drink?"

 

Hae Yeon was looking for a seat in the crowded club when she felt a tug on her hand. 

Standing beside was a stranger who was leaning to close for her comfort, and she carefully removed 
her hand while distancing herself.


"Sorry, I'm with a friend"

 


Hae Yeon's POV
Ye Won ah... where did you disappear to?
I really don't like such places...

 

"Come on, you're looking for a seat aren't you? Why don't you bring along your friend too?"

"No it's really ok, I'm sorry but please excuse me, I need to find my friend"

"Don't be shy!"

 

The pushy man showed no signs of relenting and instead placed his hands over her shoulder. 

As Hae Yeon was trying to wriggle out of his grasp, the hand was suddenly lifted and she found
another man holding on to the persistent stranger, with a smirk on his face.

 

"You heard her. Why don't you let go of my friend now?"

"Who are you?"

"Didn't I tell you? You're bothering my friend? Do I need to call the cops in?"

"Did you call for me? What's the matter?"

 

Another voice sounded from behind and Hae Yeon saw an id card being flashed to the man who left immediately after that.

 

"Thank you… Hyung Jun-ssi?"

 

Much to her astonishment, she found Hyung Jun beside the other man who had stepped in to help her.

 

"Oh? Hae Yeon-ssi! What are you doing here alone?"

"I'm actually with a friend but she kind of went missing. Is this gentleman your friend?"

"The horse a gentleman? Pfft… this is Jung Min"

"Jung Min-ssi, sorry to have troubled you, and thank you for your help"

 

Hae Yeon turned to the man named Jung Min and bowed slightly to show her appreciation. 
She wouldn't have known what to do if they hadn't appeared on time.

 

"Let's head to our table, you can keep a look out for your friend too"

"Are you sure it's ok?"

"Of course. You know the rest too"

 

She felt a sense of uneasiness at Hyung Jun's words, but he was already pulling her towards his table.
True enough, Kyu Jong and Young Saeng were seated at the table with another unknown man.

 

"Kyu Oppa…Young Saeng-ssi…"

"This is strange… Hae Yeon ah, what are you doing here?"

"Ye Won wanted to come"

"Ye Won… she's back?"

"Yes, but I lost her in the crowd"

 

Kyu Jong's POV
I thought we were still friends… Why didn't she let me know?

 

"She was with the horse when I found her"

"Yah! Did you try to hit on my cousin?!"

"What? I was just trying to help! Why don't you ask your cousin?"

 

Kyu Jong's attention was diverted upon hearing Hyung Jun, and Hae Yeon couldn't help but laugh at
the exchange of words between the guys.

 

"Oppa stop it! He really did come to my rescue earlier on"

"That's ok then. By the way, this is Hyun Joong hyung.
He just returned from England, and he's also a doctor"

"Hi..."

"Hae Yeon-ssi? Nice to meet you"

 

Young Saeng, who had been quietly watching all along, reached out for a his glass of whisky while
Hyun Joong chatted with Hae Yeon.

Even though he had suggested for them to meet, it still didn't feel too good to witness it happening.

 

Young Saeng's POV
Maybe it'll better this way. Hyun Joong will be perfect for her.

 

"Here you are… Hae Yeonnie!"

"Oh… Ye Won ah..."

 

Kyu Jong stood up as soon as he saw the familiar figure arrive at their table. 

It had been some time since they met, and his ex-girlfriend was looking more stunning than ever.

 

"Oppa..."

"Yah… you didn't tell me you were coming back"

"I just returned a few days ago"

"Ye Won ah, since Kyu oppa is here, I'm gonna go home already"

 

Upon seeing the reunion, Hae Yeon took the chance to excuse herself.

Even though she was in good company, the place was too noisy and crowded for her comfort.

 

"What? It's still so early"

"Sorry, I'm on the morning shift tomorrow… I'll see you all again some other time"

 

Seeing that her cousin was about to offer to send her home, she made a subtle gesture for him to keep Ye Won company.

Though Kyu Jong rarely asked about her, she knew that he missed Ye Won and she really hoped for them
to get back together again.

 

"I'll send you home"

 

---

 

Hae Won glanced around the surrounding restlessly as she sat in the once familiar passenger seat of Young Saeng's car.

He had suddenly offered to send her home just as she was leaving and insisted to do so despite her refusal, 
so she didn't have much of a choice.

 

"You seem to have lost some weight"

"M-me?"

"Is there anyone else here?"

"..."

 

From the corner of his eye, Young Saeng caught Hae Yeon pouting and tried to hide his smile as he drove.

It had been ages since they spent time together like this, and he was secretly glad that he had lost his self-restraint 
and offered to send her home.

Kyu Jong seemed to want to spend time with Ye Won and Hyung Jun was too drunk to be entrusted with her safety.

 

"Is there… some misunderstanding between us?"

 

The sudden question thrown by Hae Yeon caught him by surprise, but he quickly decided he couldn't give her any more false hopes.

 

"What misunderstanding?"

"You seem… different"

"Sorry, you may have had a misconception of how I really am… this is the real me"

 

Hae Yeon's POV
The real you? Have I really misunderstood?

 

"The you who bought treats for Cookie?"

"it was thanks to him that you found and saved me"

"The you who brought me out?"

"I promised to show you around"

"The you who saved me and kept me company until I got better?"

"It was out of responsibility as an officer"

 

Young Saeng's POV
Hae Yeon ah, please stop…
I don't want to hurt you any more...

 

"The you who was worried about me?"

"It's only natural to be worried about a friend, you're like a little sister"

"I see… Thank you"

 

Unable to find any more words to continue with the conversation, Hae Yeon turned towards
the window and blinked several times as she stared at the passing scenery.

 

Hae Yeon's POV
No, you're not allowed to cry. It'll just make things more awkward...

 

"Hae Yeon ah, my job involves dealing with a lot of dangerous people.
And there might be times that people around me get harmed"

"But that doesn't happen often, doesn't it?"

"You shouldn't get too close to me"

 

.........................................................................................................................................

Kyu Jong's ex appears! Along with the other boys keke :D