[Sestal] Things You Found In a Book

100 Chances At Romance

 

Soojung/Sehun, pg-13, 2.7k, romance, supernatural, from prompt no. 82 Things you find in a book

For everyone who mentioned sestal

 


 

 

Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely, walking through the woods around her mansion at dusk, when she found him, the young Oh Sehun, all by himself, one breath away from his last. It appeared that he had fallen from the hill. Soojung knew there’s an orphanage up there.

 

He was as pale as the deceased, boney figure lying motionless on the ground saved from the very small intakes of breath that grew thinner as the time went by. And Soojung stared, hovering above him, taking the details of the young boy’s face. He was a scrawny kid, with sunken cheeks and small lips, arms and legs nothing but bones. Blood was there on his face, from the wound on his head, there were scratches all along his body, and he appeared had broken his leg too.

 

It wouldn’t be a problem at all if Soojung left him there; tomorrow people would find him, already crossing to the other world.

 

But Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely – so she saved him.

 

***

 

Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely, walking through the woods around her mansion at dusk, when she saw him again, the young Oh Sehun, a couple inches taller now, sitting under a tree. He was very healthy, his breathing was stable – a little bit panting as if he had been running, and his clothes were dirty. It appeared that this time, he had run down the hill by choice.

 

He was still pale even without the Death’s kiss, his complexion, apparently, and he was still as thin as Soojung remembered. But the lips were no longer blue, it’s a soft shade of rose, and without the blood tainting his face, he looked pleasant to the eyes.

 

He didn’t notice her, too focused in his own little mind, and it would be effortless on Soojung’s part if she left.

 

But Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely – so she made her presence known to the boy.

 

“Who’s there?!” Sehun turned his head in a snap, looking alarmed with the sudden appearance of Soojung. His eyes widened when they caught sight of her; there in the dark of the woods. Trembling, Sehun stood straight. “… A-Angel Noonim…,” was the words that escaped his lips.

 

He remembered her.

 

That was not in the plan.

 

***

 

There’s a cliff near the orphanage, and Mother Yein always reminded the kids not to go past the fence. It’s dangerous, you’d break your neck, there were snakes and wolves in the woods below, there were spirits there.

 

Sehun was five and he’s scared of ghost, but he’s more scared of the bigger boys in the orphanage, who always pushed him around, and he didn’t mean to disobey Mother Yein – it just happened. One second he was running away from the bullies, the next one he’s falling down the hill.

 

It hurt, it hurt everywhere, and it’s cold, and Sehun was so tired he just wanted to sleep. He had a brief thought that it would be for eternity, if he closed his eyes now. But then there’s something being pressed onto his mouth, and he then tasted skin, he tasted blood. And he also saw an angel, with long dark hair and snow-like skin, and suddenly it didn’t hurt so bad.

 

When Sehun woke up two days later, everything hurt again, but it’s no longer cold, and he’s in the town’s hospital with Mother Yein crying beside his bed. She told him that he was so lucky, that the God loved him, most people would die, that he almost died.

 

But he didn’t, and Mother Yein said he’s all alone when they found him.

 

No angel, no one.

 

But Sehun was so sure that the beautiful girl he saw when he’s dying was not a part of his hallucination.

 

She saved him.

 

Sehun called her Angel Noonim.

 

***

 

There’s a cliff near the orphanage, and Mother Yein always reminded the kids not to go past the fence. It’s dangerous, you’d break your neck, there were snakes and wolves in the woods below, there were spirits there.

 

The older kids knew that those were just make-up stories, though, to keep away the children from the wild.

 

Sehun was twelve and he’s no longer scared of ghosts. He’s not scared of the bigger boys at the orphanage either, but when there were five of them and there’s only one of him, the wisest thing to do was to run away. So run away he did, crossing the fence and down the hill, into the woods.

 

He knew the other boys were afraid of the forest, even if they said they didn’t. Even the grownups were reluctant to enter it – there’s something about the place that seemed determined to keep one away.

 

Sehun never entered the woods again ever since he fell, but there’s a certain longing feeling in his chest whenever he looked down to the woods. As if there’s something waited for him there. As if he belonged there. Besides, he knew there’s Angel Noonim there, who would protect him. Sehun was not afraid of the woods.

 

He was resting under a tree, steadying his breath, when Sehun saw a shadow from his peripheral vision. Alarmed, he turned his head in a snap. “Who’s there?!” Initially he thought one of the bullies found him, or maybe townspeople; he wasn’t prepared to see a beautiful young woman in front of him, standing under the shade of the trees. And Sehun knew her. “… A-Angel Noonim…”

 

Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely; but she was not stupid. Human feared things they didn’t understand, things that overpowered them, and being recognized by a human was not a good thing, even if that human was still a boy.

 

So Soojung fled, ignoring the cry of, “Please wait! Angel Noonim!” that followed her after.

 

***

 

Soojung was nineteen and Sehun was thirteen, and it’s been five months since their last encounter, yet Sehun was still trying to find her in the woods. He came during the weekends, he came after the lights went out, he came when he had the time.  

 

She often followed him secretly, directing him away from her mansion, protecting him from the wild animals and the creatures that lurked in the dark, making sure he would never find her.

 

But alas, he found her, and when he did, he found her at her weakest time.

 

In the middle of the day, in the middle of her chamber.

 

Somehow the curious Oh Sehun managed to sneak inside her mansion through a broken window - scraping his elbow in the process – and he walked from room to room, finding them unoccupied, until he reached the door at the end of the hallway.

 

Sehun went in and drew the curtains open to let some of the lights in.

 

He awakened Soojung.

 

The smell of blood from his cut when she just wake up, on the day she’s supposed to eat, made Soojung hissed hungrily, flying out of her coffin, and the sun rays landed on her arm, burning her.

 

She was screaming, retreating to the farthest corner of the room where the light couldn’t touch her, and that’s when she noticed the frozen boy at her door; pale, paler, as pale as the undead.

 

“LEAVE!” Soojung roared, fangs showing. It startled Sehun and his back hit the door behind him. “I SAID LEAVE!”

 

Sehun was thirteen and he’s not afraid of the ghost; but he’s not stupid. His angel had no wings, she had fangs. He read a lot and he read about the things people said could only be found in the books. He knew what his angel was.

 

So Sehun ran away.

 

***

 

Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely.

 

Her sire, her long-time companion, had decided that he could no longer walk on earth as a breathless man, and so he made his last walk, under the sun when Soojung was nineteen, eight years ago. Eight years ago, Soojung was nineteen and she was lonely, and she found a boy, Death ready to take him. She gave him her blood, and she gave him enough to survive. Her kind’s blood was extremely powerful for human.

 

Undeniably, Soojung felt a certain fondness of the boy who lived, and perhaps it’s her blood inside him that made him felt a certain pull toward her.

 

But he was human, and she was not.

 

She shouldn’t let him close, yet when the dusk came and he’s no longer roaming around the woods, Soojung felt lonelier that ever.

 

***

 

There’s a cliff near the orphanage, and Mother Yein always reminded the kids not to go past the fence. It’s dangerous, you’d break your neck, there were snakes and wolves in the woods below, there were spirits there.

 

Sehun was fifteen, he’s no longer afraid of ghosts, and he grew taller than his bullies, and he learnt to defend himself, and he had read all kind of books about his angel. He’s ready to face her again, but what he’s not ready to face was a wolf.

 

There were snakes and wolves in the woods below, Mother Yein always said. All this time, the kids only cared about the last part of her warning about the spirits, including Sehun.

 

His back hit a tree and he almost tripped on its roots, the wolf in front of him letting out a growl that eerily sounded like a chortle. Was he being laughed at by a wolf? But maybe it’s not just a normal wolf after all, Sehun read about them too in the books. If his angel existed outside the books, it was very possible that they did, too.

 

The wolf growled and stepped back, about to launch itself on Sehun, and Sehun thought about a particular dusk ten years ago, about cold and hurt everywhere and he thought of snow-like skin and fangs. But before Sehun could think of anything else, he saw something came to the wolf from the side, so fast it came out as a blur, and the next moment the wolf were already crashed onto a tree, breaking the tree into two.

 

And in front of Sehun, shielding him from the wolf, was his angel.

 

Angels don’t have fangs and sharp, pointy fingernails, Sehun absent-mindedly thought, but he never saw one so he shouldn’t be so sure.

 

“Leave him alone,” Soojung snarled to the wolf, her eyes were as red as blood, veins popping all around them and along her arms, the snow-like skin tainted. “He is mine.”

 

Sehun’s heart pounded so fast he could hear them loud in his ears.

 

The wolf stood up, shaking its head, and to Sehun’s horror, it shifted into a young man with tanned skin and dark hair. He laughed, and it sounded exactly like the chortle the wolf let out earlier. “Is he not too young to serve you, Soojung? Should have marked him if he belongs to you, then.”

 

Soojung just bared her teeth, and the man smirked, shaking his head. He stared past Soojung to Sehun, and this time Sehun’s heart stopped beating for a few beats – it felt like forever and more. The wolf-man shifted back to his wolf form and disappeared into the depth of the woods.

 

Sehun breathed again.

 

But then, in a speed that his eyes couldn’t catch, his angel whirled around, pushed him back to the tree, fingers curled around his neck, and she’s lifting him up.

 

“You!” Soojung was nothing but furious. “Did I not tell you to leave?!” Sehun’s pulse picked up after the adrenaline rush, it’s like a melody to her ear. She shook the feeling off, pressing harder on Sehun’s tiny neck. “Did I not make myself clear?!”

 

“P-Please,” choking up, Sehun tried to speak. “… I j-just… want… s-say… thank you…”

 

The red on her eyes faded, but the fingers stayed where they were. After a moment, Soojung threw him to the ground, leaving the boy coughing out, gasping for air. “You do not have the slightest knowledge of what I am capable to do to you,” she hissed, turning on her heels.

 

“You said—,” the rasped words stopped her, and he took a deep breath before he continued, “… You said I am yours. And I am. Yours.”

 

There’s a moment of silence, and Sehun dreaded that he was unwanted yet again, that he would be abandoned for the second time, until he heard the reply, so soft but clear at the same time.

 

Soojung was nineteen and Sehun was fifteen, and she was not stupid, but she was lonely.

 

***

 

“Do not walk in the woods after the dark without me.”

 

***

 

Soojung was nineteen. She had been nineteen for too long.

 

But as if he didn’t remember the fact, seventeen years old Oh Sehun brought her flowers and stories, sang her serenades, and he insisted to take her to the town at night, and Soojung would pretend the taste of the dinner he bought her satisfied her appetite.

 

But he did remember, because then after dinner he would take her to the empty alleys to find a homeless man, waiting patiently while Soojung drank the man’s blood, reminding her not to drink too much to kill, cleaning up after her, asking whether Soojung had already erased the man’s memory.

 

But as if he didn’t care, he took Soojung’s cold hand and intertwined their fingers together, and he would start another story about his day, and he would ask about the times before him, before this civilization.

 

Soojung was nineteen, and she was afraid that one day she would walk through the woods around her mansion at dusk all by herself again.

 

***

 

Sehun was twenty-three, and he’s been living with Soojung for years now – ever since he graduated from his school and had to move out from the orphanage. He worked as a private tutor for rich people, and his specialty was History and Biology.

 

Sometimes, between the stories of wars and castles and knights, between the stories of poisonous mushrooms and edible leaves and dangerous wolves, sometimes Sehun told them about myths and folklores and fairy tales.

 

The kids loved them, the adults thought he just telling them bedtime stories.

 

At night, he would be by Soojung’s side when she woke up, and that night was no different.

 

“Good night, my lady,” Sehun smiled to his angel, who just opened her eyes from her slumber. She had learnt to sleep on the bed after Sehun.

 

Soojung’s lips might not form a smile, but her eyes did, and she Sehun’s face tenderly. “… Your heart is beating rapidly. There is something that worries you. What is it?”

 

He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it, never breaking eye-contact. “Soojung-ah.”

 

Her blood couldn’t rush to her cheeks, and her heart had stop hammering against her ribcage years ago.

 

“I wish for you to turn me,” Sehun told her, calmly, and as much as Soojung had thought about it a thousand times, she also couldn’t do that to him.

 

“I can not take your life.”

 

“You are the one who gives it back to me, and I am yours, you know that,” Sehun shifted closer, taking both of her hands into his, and it’s been long since he’s taller than her, bigger than her. It’s been long since he looked like a helpless young boy beside her.

 

But Soojung had been nineteen for much, much longer.

 

“What about the people that you love…”

 

“I do not have a family, nor do I have friends. Mother Yein had passed away three years ago.”

 

Her voice grew quieter. “You still have the chance to fall in love, to have a family on your own.”

 

“Soojung-ah… I have fallen in love eighteen years ago, and I have been in love ever since. My only wish, is to be with you, and if death is the only way for us to be together, I will embrace it. You gave me life. Now I am asking you to take it back.”

 

And then he kissed her, softly, carefully, as if she was the fragile one, as if she didn’t have the power to break him, as if he loved her.

 

Soojung was nineteen.

 

Sehun was twenty-three.

 

***

 

There’s a cliff near the orphanage, and Mother Yewon always reminded the kids not to go past the fence. It’s dangerous, you’d break your neck, there were snakes and wolves in the woods below, there were spirits there, and there were things; things you thought could only be found in a book.

 


 

 

 

 

 

yes Sehun called Soojung 'noonim' is intentional *wriggle eyebrows greasily at you K*

At first I was like crap this wont even reach 1k but then I was like crap I need to stop before it reaches 3k

It's not much but I'm quite excited for this because vampires! I've been wanting to write a vampire!au for months, and well I did say I need to improve my writing from this collection, so I really should try different genres and AUs. Thank you for reading, drop comment? c: