Painful Tales Shines in the Midnight Sky

Seventh Heaven (Indefinite Hiatus. Sorry.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They arrived at a small diner. It wasn’t anything flashy and Seulmi was kind of thankful it wasn’t. She was never a fan of over the top restaurant designs, over-priced meals and unsatisfying food. The place only had five tables, each with 4 chairs and there are no annoying waiters who stand beside the table. It was nice.

All of it, including Kai.

She followed Kai to the table he preferred to sit on. She pulled her own chair and reached for the menu after she settled down on the seat. Typical Korean foods were listed along with few pictures beside it probably hoping to catch some attention.

“You should try their bibimbap.” Kai suggested without looking at Seulmi. His eyes travelling back and forth over his own menu.

“Ah… should I?” She paused; assessing the other dishes offered and when she couldn’t pick which ones she would like, “I guess I’ll should then.”

Kai replied with a brief nod. He stood up to go over and order.

When Kai finally had his back turned from Seulmi’s direction, the girl took the time to nervously check what time was it through her scratchy watch. If she got home later than 9pm, she would most probably get a good beating. She sighed and thought whatever, I’d get it anyway. She could use some company and Kai’s company was never bad.

A few more minutes and Kai was back with their order in a tray. He carefully placed it down their table, not wanting to create a mess. “Hyung’s bibimbap is the best.” He said.

“I know. You already told me.” Was Seulmi’s biting answer.

“Sassy.” Kai hummed as he took everything off the tray.

“I-“ Seulmi was about to defend herself. She didn’t want to sound sassy. “I was-“

Then, she heard a chuckle. It was Kai, “It’s all cool. I like sass.”

“Okay then…” Was all Seulmi could say. She stared at the bibimbap that looked really appetizing when what Kai said sank to her consciousness.

“Your hyung?” She prompts.

“Well, not my real brother… but almost like one.” He nodded. “He said he’ll meet you right after he finishes whatever he’s doing.” He informed, shrugging his shoulders and blew on his hot soup. Seulmi swore Kai looked so beautiful trying to cool down his soup. Plus, those beads of sweat slowly trailing down his temples were very much distracting; she almost didn’t react to Kai’s hyung going over to greet her.

“What? Why would he meet me?” There was a clear sound of alarm on her tone. She was not ready for this. She was not very coherent when she was flustered and that’s what she was right then.

“Calm down.” Kai gazed at Seulmi which made Seulmi wish she combed her hair even a little. “He’s nice. A lot nicer than me if you ever consider me nice.” He said, clearly trying to soothe Seulmi’s petty worries.

As if on cue, a petite man came out from the kitchen doors. His hands had some powdery substance on it and a heart shaped smile was on his lips.

“So who do we have here Jongin? Oh this is interesting.” He brazenly said as he stood beside the two’s table. “Hello, I’m Kyungsoo the head chef here. You must be Jong’s girlfriend?”

After realizing that the guy named Kyungsoo was pertaining to Kai as ‘Jong’, it had Seulmi tomato red. “Oh uhm… no. Actually, we are just-“ She stopped there not sure what she and Jongin were. Were they friends? Seulmi didn’t know.

“She’s a friend hyung. And stop calling me Jongin.” He rolled his eyes.

There was a flash of sadness that showed in Kyungsoo’s eyes as he looked at Kai. Seulmi didn’t fail to notice that look. It prompted her curiosity as to why Kai wanted to be called Kai and not by his real name Jongin. She never really wondered before because it just seemed like a simple nickname but with the way the Kyungsoo guy looked at Kai, there must be more to it than what she initially thought.

“I call you however I want. I’m the hyung.” The Kyungsoo guy attempted to lighten the mood. He didn’t even allow Kai to retort anymore when he turned his attention to Seulmi.

“So, care to tell me you name, Ms. Beautiful?”

It didn’t take much for Seulmi to blush. In the last two years, she never received much compliments. It was nice and flattering and she wasn’t used to it.

“I-I’m Park Seulmi. It’s nice to meet you Kyungsoo-shii.” She attempted to bow down which resulted to her almost smacking her forehead against the table. Almost. Because Kyungsoo was fast, apparently.

“Careful.” He reprimands like a big brother and Seulmi wanted to jump on a black hole and disappear forever. Leave it to her to embarrass herself any given chance. “It’s nice to meet you as well Seulmi and please, just call me Kyungsoo or oppa. I’m not very fond of honorifics. Jongin knows that as well.” And Kai gave a small affirmative nod.

Seulmi gulped and nodded, “If you say so Kyungsoo…”

“Dang.” Kyungsoo snapped his fingers, feigning disappointment. “I was hoping you’d call me oppa.” His little act had Seulmi slightly chuckling. Seulmi only knew a handful of nice people and she thought Kyungsoo might be one of them.

Kai just rolled his eyes. “Such an embarrassment.” He mumbled.

“Someone’s jelly.” Kyungsoo teased and Kai just want to kick his shin to make him shut his maw.

Kai looked up and graciously gave his hyung another glare, “Shut up hyung.”

“So grumpy.” He smiled and Seulmi swear he looked so young. Just how old was this guy even? “Anyways,” Kyungsoo said while he checked his watch. “I have hand-pulled noodles in my kitchen that require my devotion.” Seulmi nodded. That explained the weird white powder on his hands.

“I have to go. It is really wonderful knowing you Seulmi, I wish we have more time to talk but yeah.” He raised his hands up.

“It’s alright uh… oppa.” She answered bashfully.

“Oh you cute creature.” If there was no powder on his hands, Kyungsoo would’ve pinched Seulmi’s face. “Enjoy my cooking!”

“Go away hyung.” Kai grouchily said.

“You are more adorable when you are jealous.” Kyungsoo teased and before Kai could even retaliate, Kyungsoo already had his back turned away as he headed toward the kitchen.

“I’m sorry about him.” Kai shook his head, “He’s a hopeless case.”

“It’s alright. He seems nice.”

“He is.” He agreed. “Let’s eat then?”

“Mhm. I have yet to taste this bibimbap you’re so proud of.”

For fifteen minutes or so, the two of them ate in almost complete silence. Seulmi was too chicken to start a conversation and everytime Kai would attempt to initiate one, Seulmi’s nervousness would get the best of her and would end awkwardly.

“You really don’t talk much, do you?” Kai tried to start again.

A deep breath, a silent pep talk and Seulmi barely managed to answer, “Yeah… I’m not very good with holding a conversation.”

“I see.” Kai nodded understandingly. “Have you always been like this? I mean silent and all that?”

Seulmi knew the exact answer to Kai’s question and it was a clear no. She was never like this before. She never even thought she would be like this. A stuttering mess, barely able to make friends.

“I don’t know. I’m not sure myself.” Was the answer she opted to give Kai.

“That’s impossible.” Kai looked at her skeptically. “We all know ourselves. We are just too influenced by other forces and that’s why our perception is often clouded.”

“Deep.” She commented with a half-smile. “But hey, each to their own, right?” She defensively answered with a rhetorical question.

Kai only gave a small shrug as he took the last of what’s left of his soup into his spoon and took it between his mouth. He savored the richness of the taste. Kyungsoo never failed to amaze him with his kitchen skills.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how did all the bullying started?” It was a careful question. His eyes were searching for any sign of annoyance but found nothing except shock. He guessed that Seulmi didn’t expect him to ask about it.

“I-I don’t remember.” She lied.

“I can always tell when people lie.” Kai pointed out.

There was an audible sigh and Seulmi ate a spoonful of bibimbap, chewed it ever so slowly, taking her time to think if the amount of trust she had given Kai was enough for him to know. She thought maybe it was, she hadn’t really have people to trust now. All those she trusted, failed her. One more failure won’t make such a difference. Right?

“You can always ask people in school, you know. On how the bullying started. I’m sure there’s someone out there who knows.” She said as a matter of factly.

Kai bit his lower lip and nodded in agreement, “True. But I don’t want that. It’s your story and it’s your right to share it or not, I’m not gonna snoop around. Except if you are my enemy which you are not.”

“Kai…” Seulmi called his name and Kai hummed in question, “You’re really nice.” She opted the part where she was about to say: You’re the only nice in my life right now.

It was enough to make Kai smile. Seulmi knew in that moment that she would never get tired of that smile. Not in a million years.

“So, are you gonna tell me how it started or should we jump to Chanyeol and why is he bullying yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter