There is No Middle Ground

Seventh Heaven (Indefinite Hiatus. Sorry.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

warning: 4.3k words 

If the other students heard or saw what happened yesterday after school, they did good hiding that fact. No on acted weird nor said anything about or connected to it and Seulmi thought it was better that way. As much as she’s happy Kai saved her, she didn’t want to drag the young man into her miserable senior life. She didn’t desire for anyone to suffer her same fate. The thought that amongst all senior students, she was the only one not ever respected by her juniors really saddened her. Such an unfair life.

When Seulmi arrived at the room, her eyes trailed to Kai’s disinterested face and Taehyung’s fail attempt to befriend him or even strike a something that’s acceptable to be termed as a conversation. Seulmi could hear something about love letters and high heels but she shoved off the idea of eavesdropping more. It’s not a good habit to develop.

Silently, she sat down on her seat and carefully placed her worn out duffel bag in front of her chair, down on the floor. Mr. Wu arrived shortly after the bell rang. He introduced himself, explained thoroughly the reason for Ms. Jung’s absence and set out his class rules for until Ms. Jung’s return. The classroom was eerily quiet most of Mr. Wu’s lectures because he’s a very intimidating man and he has an air of authority no one would dare challenge.

The rest of the morning went by fast and soon, its lunch time. The young girl pulled out her a lunch box from her bag and took a deep breath. She had a little pep talk with herself in her mind before she finally turned around slightly and called Kai’s attention.

“Uhm… hey.” She awkwardly started.

Kai was busy stuffing his notebook and pen back inside his bag but when he heard Seulmi’s voice, he quickly shot his head up.

“Oh hey.” He nonchalantly answered the greeting.

With a gulp, Seulmi raised up the stainless lunch box for Kai to see.

“I uh… brought you lunch. I made it myself so it’s not much. I wanted to say thank you for helping me yesterday so I thought I… I’d cook for you as a sign of gratitude.” She smiled softly as she rested the lunch box on Kai’s desk. She silently hoped that the male would as much as accept it. “So, yeah. Thanks again.”

The gesture of gratitude was only acknowledged with a small nod from Kai and nothing more as he took the lunch box closer to him. He clicked his tongue while opening the lunch box. A small glint of appreciation crossed his facial features as he saw the contents. He had always loved chicken and he got lucky that this girl decided to cook him a sweet and sour chicken dish which was coincidentally, his favorite of all the dishes he’s had.

Taehyung was at his chair, a look of skepticism painted over his face. He waited for Seulmi to turn her back before he scooted closer to Kai and whispered, “The heck. Didn’t know you were dating that crap.” He jutted his chin over to Seulmi.

“We’re not dating and please, either you talk about something worthwhile or just don’t talk at all.” Kai muttered before starting to eat his lunch. “At least not to me.” He added without interest.

When he took a small piece of chickencoated with thick orange colored sauce in his mouth, Kai could swear that it tasted so identical to what his mother used to cook for him.

Slowly, the memories of his loving mother, cooking for him flooded his mind and within minutes, he had finished the prepared lunch. The taste was so much alike there was a moment when he forgot that it was Seulmi who cooked it and not his mom.

It had been a long time since Kai was given a chance to remember his mom. It stunned him, how much the taste of the sweet and sour chicken was the same. He had not yet forgotten how his mother prepared this dish especially for him and he had not yet forgotten how unique it tasted no matter how long he hadn’t tasted it. The memory of how delicious it was still lingered in the young boy’s head.

He lightly tapped Seulmi’s shoulder, as soon as the girl turned to face him, “How did you learn how to cook?” He asked. He didn’t care about how his seatmate, Taehyung was watching the both of them like an interested mouse. Still, he liked the fact that he’s keeping his too loud of a mouth shut.

Seulmi inadvertently blinked before answering, “I took cooking classes. When I was only 16. Why?”Seulmi wanted to ask if he did not like the dish. It was such a fail, she thought.

“Nothing.” Kai shrugged not wanting to press the matter.

He tapped the chopsticks in the stainless lunch box before he started once more, “I have a deal for you.” He hummed.

“A deal?” Seulmi dumbly repeated as Kai shot her a ‘that’s-what-I-just-said’ look.

“Uhm, what is it?”

“Now you’re asking the correct questions.” Kai chuckled lightly.

“You see, I enjoyed your cooking. Very much. So, if you’re willing to cook and pack lunch for me every day, I’d be sure to accompany you everywhere you go and protect you from bullies.” Kai offered as he scrutinized Seulmi’s face to look for signs of rejection. He really wanted to taste the cooking again because he missed the taste. The taste of his mother’s cooking and Seulmi’s cooking reminded him of what he might soon forget. So although the tanned male didn’t want to use this tactic, how else was he going to get the girl cook for him?

There was an evident hesitance in Seulmi’s face. She deliberated for a short moment then shook her head, “I don’t want to drag you into the drama of my senior life any more than you already are. I’m sorry.”

Kai raised his arm and ruffled his own hair, “I could give you money for the ingredients. C’mon,” he pursued, “Let’s not deny the fact that I’m already involved. That tall disrespectful man yesterday is probably planning his revenge right at this very moment.”

“So, I don’t see any problem with lunch in exchange for making sure you’re safe.” He quickly turned to Taehyung, “Plus, this poor excuse of a human here told me that you’re the quote school’s toy unquote and as you already know, I hate bullies if not more so in the end, I’ll still protect you from those trouble-seeking students. If I’m going to do it either way, might as well take some commissions, right?” He argued and Seulmi pondered over his words. Taehyung looked offended but he didn’t say a word. He just listened with overflowing interest in his glass.

If this guy was going to end up saving her weak from those bullies, she would most probably ran out of ideas on how to thank Kai. She also thought that this was the best option she could get. The preliminary exams were slowly approaching and she couldn’t afford to fail it. The bullies were surely not helping with her studies especially when they try to rip her notes (and most of the times, succeed). It’s not like she had friends to borrow them from.

In the end, she succumbed to the temptation of saying yes and agreed.

 

It was evident, how much the bullying decreased in a span of four days that Kai hanged around Seulmi. At first, they were still harsh; they didn’t mind Kai. He’s just a new student after all. But after a few days, they stopped or at least, laid low.

Kai proved to be very good with threatening and he had certainly proven how much of a hero he was; at least in Seulmi’s perspective. He knew how to fight as well. Seulmi assumed that maybe he took martial arts classes or self-defense classes of some sort. It was evident on how he fights. He knew his thing.

The first thing Kai made sure to stop was the shoulder bumps. Seulmi was a petite girl, probably just a few more inches above 5 feet. She was also skinny which was a pretty good explanation to why she fell down on the ground when someone ‘accidentally’ bumped unto her; again. It was ridiculous and Kai endured the sight of it for four times that day before he finally cracked. That time, it was a girl who bumped her and said, “Oops. Didn’t mean to bump on you.” With an annoying expression Kai had labeled, the face.

Seulmi told the girl it was alright which resulted to Kai letting out an audible cuss and an exasperated expression. The faced girl went on her merry way without even bothering to help Seulmi up. Kai also didn’t offer a helping hand; he’s still confused and pissed as to why Seulmi always say it’s okay when someone bumps onto her or in a more accurate definition, pushes her down on the floor.

They were almost at the school gym for their physical fitness classes, when Kai spotted someone smirking towards Seulmi’s direction. From what Kai could see, the man was well-built and he held his shoulder, most probably showing off his biceps with his buddies before heading over to Seulmi. Kai knew what would happen and before the dreaded and to be honest, a distasteful shoulder bump could happen for the umpteenth time, the tanned male stepped in front of Seulmi and looked at the other male with an unreadable expression.

“Can’t you guys think of something new to do?” He hummed.

“If you’re going to be a bully, at least be a bully with variety. Plan something else. These shoulder bumps is getting old.” Seulmi stood at Kai’s back. She was silently praying in her mind that this won’t end badly like it did with Chanyeol. She started thinking that maybe her decision of letting Kai protect her in exchange for home cooked lunch is a bad idea after all.

Fortunately, the man didn’t seem to be looking for a fight. He just grunted before he made his way back to his peers. Kai turned his head over to Seulmi and raised thumbs up. The girl only shook her head; she had a sure feeling in her gut that something was bound to happen if all this protect Seulmi project Kai planned continue.

 

It was not a secret to everyone how good looking Kai was and the whole of Seoul High School was getting crazy over him in light speed. That being said, Kai was starting to slowly gain his way towards popularity. Being popular, meant that people would also start talking about Kai. Gossips started and rumors flourished.

One of the rumors that circulated throughout the school was the headline ‘Handsome Infatuating Transferee Dating Clown Seulmi’. Kai never said anything about it but Seulmi knew he found it ridiculous. She judged by the way Kai would roll his eyes, grimace or even scoff at the school’s Ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter