The Dancing Prince

The Candies

Prince Jongin and Mermaid Princess Kyungsoo

"My dear, don't cry like you used to be - you're not going to be sea foams because I'll protect you."

*

The horizon was gracefully pretty that morning. The birds flew up to the north in flocks, the seagulls were happily enjoying the serene morning. Kyunghee swam up and peeked her sight to the rising sun. Her magenta tail shines when the sun rays kissed them. 

"It's about time."

****

Thousands of people were walking around the palace, all of them looked so busy in the morning. Palace girls were running back and forth, their plaits swung and bounced once they run with the baskets. While palace boys were busy with the preparation of the day. Some of them were lifting up the curtains and pole, arranging the chairs and tables in the open hall. The chief of the palace wouldn't leave their eyes off the servants.

The noisiest servant, Baekhee was running with her friends towards Prince's hall - it was already time but their Prince had been seen nowhere around the preparation hall. Even the youngest Prince had to run in the south wing to find his elder brother.

"Jongin-hyung! Where are you?" The obvious booming voice was loudly heard across the empty hall but there was no sign of people answering his question.

'Sea.' Sehun's heart had stopped beating and he turned himself to the horse stable.

"This is bad - he should have known that he was cursed by that sea witch! What was he thinking?!" Prince Sehun muttered until he met his second brother was attending their grandmother's horse.

"J-jongin-hyung is missing!" Prince Chanyeol was awfully quiet and kept brushing the horse. Sehun snapped and kicked the horse's legs before snatching one of the horses.

Today was the day Prince Jongin would get married to the Chinese Princess Luhan but he was nowhere to found. His brothers and sisters had no ideas of his whereabout except for Chanyeol and Sehun. Of course, Chanyeol would know but Sehun was so angry with his brother's silence.

The clouds grew darker once Sehun and Baram the horse had come nearer to the sound of the sea waves. Sehun was right - Jongin was wearing his white robes and straw hats; a symbol of purity and innocent. The sweet orange sun hid herself from shining out brightly, creating the dull atmosphere in the sea. Jongin had tied his horse to the tree while he was standing on the edge of the cliff, his eyes were on the wide horizon. Jongin smiled when Sehun grabbed him from the back - his eyes were wet from tears. Sehun was taken aback from the view but he was sure that he needs to bring his brother back to the palace.

"At least I would have a partner to watch me."

"Hyung, please. This is not right. Please come back with me."

"I wish to, but I can't do this. My heart belongs to the seakeeper - this is the right thing that I should do, at least."

Jongin pulled his hands from Sehun's grip and walked himself to the middle of the white sands. He crouched down and kneeled in front of the seawaves before he started the summoning ritual. Sehun was crying silently while he saw Jongin was reciting mantras of the sacred book from the palace. His eyes and Jongin's turned purple when Jongin started to read the mantra out loud.

 

"Oh my lady the seakeeper, the one with the blue eyes and the mother of the sea creatures."

 

The clouds started to gather and the wind started to blow the violent waves of the calming water. Black birds flew out from the bamboo jungle in the north heading to the south.

 

"The rose of the sea, the light of the water, the healer of the violent wave, oh my ladykeeper. This lowly servant had come to you, oh my ladykeeper - I beg you to come and take me with you."

 

Sehun wouldn't believe himself when he saw a red thing was climbing the rock slowly - he recognized the red hair was a human. A princess mermaid, to be sure - was sitting on the rock behind a tree that Jongin wouldn't able to see because of his view. Jongin headed to the water and started to chant the mantra - his hands were gracefully following the waves and his body started to move when he was so into the chanting ritual.

 

Jongin was dancing the Heartbroken dance, something that was understood by the sorcerers in the country. Only the artist can truly understand the art - Sehun can read the meaning of the Jongin's movement. Bell chimes were heard from behind, where Sehun saw his second brother was wearing black shaman robes.

"Chanyeol-hyung."

"We need to help Jongin. We can't let him die."

 

Sehun pointed his fingers towards the rock, showing Chanyeol the mermaid prince. Chanyeol nodded - he knew that fish girl. 

"So Kyunghee was here as well."

"Her name is Kyunghee?" Chanyeol smiled before shaking the chanting bells; he joined Jongin to live up the ritual, to let Jongin touch Kyunghee's heart and let him out from the curse.

The princes danced and danced until Sehun saw the princess had jumped into the sea - waves started to slow down and the sun was there to shine again. Sehun was sure the princess cried because he saw she wiped her eyes before jumping back into the sea.

Did Jongin make it?

Jongin was tired from the dance and he fell down into the waves - Sehun ans Chanyeol was all there to see their eldest brother cried while dancing for the crying mermaid princess. Royal guards had also found their way to the secluded side of the sea and had argued to bring back Prince Jongin. The princes fought for their brother before they saw big waves coming through the sea. Chanyeol and Sehun ran to save Jongin but he was pulled into the water and fell deeper into the sea.

 

"My love, you're here."