M- and M+

The Violets

The following day at school, Minsoo waited almost impatiently for lunch break to come. Not that it’s a surprise for anyone. Most of the time, he would even cut his classes just to be alone under the huge oak tree at the back of the university. He loves his lone time and he doesn’t make any effort to hide that from anybody. Before tossing his bag and books inside his locker, Minsoo grabbed the paperback he has grown so intrigued since yesterday.

 

Walking at an even pace, Minsoo reached his favorite spot in the university a little close to ten minutes. Normally, it would take a person to reach that place in five minutes tops when coming from the student quarters. But, with Minsoo’s face buried deep into the book, it took him twice the time needed. Some students following closely behind had to walk past him but he paid them no mind. When Minsoo is reading, he tunes out everything else. His focus is in the book and the story written in it alone.

 

He plopped down on the pebbled plant box that surrounds the huge tree and rested his back on the trunk. Now in the most comfortable position, he continues to read…

 

Agent M was inside his room inside the HQ. They have just come back from another trip in the city and he’s clearly exhausted. They were able to find two survivors this time: a man seemingly in his mid-forties with a buff built that Agent M took to be the reason why they managed to survive on their own and his daughter of thirteen. The girl has dark brown eyes and the same dark brown hair falling down her waist. His team saw them inside the convenience store housed inside a gasoline station while they were scouting the area for more undead to slay. By that time, they have already cleared the area assigned to them and are simply killing time until their vehicle gets back to fetch them.

 

Before finding the two newest survivors to join their number, they had to fight a mob of undead which, to Agent M’s calculation, piled up to over a hundred. For normal humans, that fete could’ve been nothing else but an impossible task. Thanks to the serum and what it transformed their bodies into, even through their small number of three – him as the team leader and two others as his subordinates, they managed to wipe the area clean off of the undead in less than an hour. The whole ordeal was tiring but they still managed to joke about how slow they’re becoming at “cleaning off” which led to a contest between the three of them. Who gets to kill more at the fastest time possible?

 

Agent M laughed when Agent M- (negative) almost got himself bitten on the arm while he was going triumphant after almost winning the bet. It’s a good thing that Agent M+ (positive) was standing at just ten feet away from them and easily throw his dagger that pierced the spot between the undead’s eyes.

 

“Hah! You owe me one for that!” M+ roared out a laughter before focusing back on the undead around him.

 

“We’re even. Have you forgotten that undead in the nurse uniform a couple of days ago?” M- shot back which made M+ frown. He doesn’t want to be reminded of that.

 

Agent M laughed an amused one at the memory. “Oh, that nurse surely got M+ good!”

 

“Stop it! I’m not amused!” M+ growled and Agents M and M- laughed at his expense.

 

Two days ago, their team was sent in a hospital just at the outskirt of the nearby town. They came in and finish off each undead that walks to them – stained teeth bared and foul breath assaulting their nostrils and adding to the already dank smell that reigns inside the abandoned hospital. M+ was busy reloading his gun while slashing the undead with his dagger when an undead in a nurse’s uniform came crawling from underneath and bit his foot.

 

It’s not the fact that he was bitten that’s humiliating. It’s how he screamed for dear life that got his companions almost rolling on the floor laughing at his reddened face.

 

“I was startled, okay?” M+ fumed after planting one bullet on the nurse’s head.

 

“We got startled a lot too, dude. But we never screamed like a little girl.” Agent M quipped while wiping the tears on the corner of his eyes with his bony finger leaving a smear of blood coming from his leather gloves.

 

“Whatever!” M+ snorts before walking passed the two.

 

“Can you two just get over that, please?” M+ screamed in annoyance as his two friends still continue to laugh all while expertly dodging the claws and teeth of the undead around them. The way their bodies move to avoid each assault and move their limbs to execute a counter attack almost look like they’re dancing through the music that only they can hear.

 

“Oh come on! We need some entertainment, you know!” Agent M let out another roll of laughter as he finished the remaining undead with a swift movement of his dagger.

 

“Whew! Now I’m hungry.” M- said as they look around the carnage around them.

 

Surrounding them is a huge and messy pile of dead creatures in the form of humans though they know that these creatures have already abandoned all sense of humanity. They couldn’t feel any pity as they kill thinking that these creatures have killed far more innocent people. The stench of rotting flesh could’ve made anyone vomit their intestines out but after dealing with this for years, none of that mattered to them anymore.

 

“Got your appetite by staring at these, huh?” Agent M joked although he knows what his subordinate meant. M- smiled as a response.

 

“The bird isn’t here yet, huh?” M+ observed, pertaining to the helicopter that will fetch them.

 

“Scour.” Agent M commanded and the two nodded their heads in understanding. Their leader just told them to look for survivors and other undead that might still be lurking around or are stuck somewhere.

 

That was when they found the two survivors. The man was fighting off an undead while his daughter stood a few feet away behind him, a baseball bat in her hands. By the look of things, the young girl has already been trained to fight off zombies. Although in her eyes, fear is still evident as she watches her father fight for his life.

 

One bullet escaped Agent M’s gun and the undead sprawled lifeless on the floor. Two sets of eyes bored on him before shifting to his two companions. Agent M nodded his head and introduced themselves. Relief flood in the man’s face as he march towards his daughter and gather her in his arms.

 

“Thank you.” He said to which Agent M nodded.

 

“Do you know who we are?” Agent M asked.

 

“I’ve heard of a group of humans killing off zombies and taking in survivors. We were kinda hoping you’re real and that you can take us with you.” The man explained, hope and happiness lighting up his dark brown eyes.

 

“Is that why you’re out here?” Agent M motioned around him. It’s unlikely to spot survivors in such an open space because that spells suicide with the undead possibly walking around to look for food.

 

The man nodded and walked towards the group with his daughter tightly kempt under his arms.

 

Without having to say anything, Agents M- and M+ moved to their feet and approached the two civilians.

 

“What are you doing?” The father tightens his grip around his daughter when M- pried his hands off of her.

 

“Relax, we just want to make sure you two weren’t bitten.” Agent M explained, understanding the fear that registered in the man’s face.

 

“W-we’re not!”

 

“Relax. We make the call.” Agent M said.

 

“They’re clear.” M- and M+ shouted almost at the same time after checking the two civilians.

 

“Good. Let’s go.” Agent M led them into the open and quickly looked up upon hearing the whirling sound of the helicopter hovering above them.

 

On the occasion that they don’t have survivors with them, the pilot wouldn’t bother landing to the ground because the agents can simply jump from the ground and into the helicopter at the maximum of a hundred feet up. But seeing the two civilians, the pilot gently maneuvered and landed at a safe distance from the group.

 

His subordinates guided the two civilians inside while Agent M stayed a few steps behind to make sure that no undead is following them.

 

“Let’s roll.” Agent M said as he jumped inside and made sure that the two have been strapped securely in their seats.

 

And now, as Agent M clean and reload his gun, his only thoughts are into finding more survivors and killing more undead.

 

“You’re ready?” M-‘s head poked in the small opening of his door. He nodded his head and followed suit.

 

From their position inside the helicopter which is currently hovering above ground, they can already see an ocean of flesh-eating creatures. If not for the loud sound of the engine and the propellers, he can almost hear the snarls of the undead below.

 

“Ready, boys?” At twenty feet up, Agent M asked his subordinates as they get ready to jump out and down the awaiting carnage.

 

“On three!”

 

“One!”

 

“Two!”

 

“Boo!” Minsoo quickly looked up from the origin of the voice and was confused to see Jonghyun in front of him.

 

“Why do you kids keep on startling me?” He asked annoyed while his hand rest on his chest.

 

“It’s as Niel hyung said. You always say you’re startled but your face never show any traces of it. I think you should drink some coffee to actually know how it’s like to be startled.” Jonghyun quipped.

 

Minsoo rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Why are you here, anyway?”

 

“This is the uni, hyung. Of course I’m here to study!” Jonghyun stated matter-of-factly.

 

Minsoo hit him on the head using the book he’s been reading a few moments ago. “Get the hell out of here, Jonghyun!”

 

“Ya! What was that for?” Jonghyun’s face show nothing but annoyance yet one look from Minsoo and he immediately backed down. This guy can really be scary at times. He gulped down what he plans to say more and simply decided to say what he really came here for.

 

“Your brothers are looking for you.”

 

“Where are they?”

 

“Hyung!” As if on cue, Niel and Ricky came running towards them.

 

“Mom called. She said that we should go to the supermarket to buy some stuff before coming home. Why aren’t you in your room or in the cafeteria? We’ve been running all around for you!” Ricky whined.

 

“Save it. I know you spent your lunch break pigging out in the cafeteria.”

 

“You’re mean.” Ricky pout and Niel pat him on the back.

 

Minsoo walked out of them and head back to class. His brothers are annoyingly annoying! Jonghyun is equally annoying!

 

“Wait for us, hyung!” He heard three annoying brats calling after him but he’s not allowing any of them to annoy him any further. He sprinted and was laughing silly to himself when the three tried to run after him but was completely left behind.

 

And they say I’m lazy? He shook his head while laughing before collecting his things from his locker and heading to his next class.

 

________________________________________________________________

A/N: Changjo has been introduced! How do you think ChunJoe will be introduced? What characters will they play? And how was this chapter? Tell me whatever you think about this, okay? And, if you like, you can suggest scenes both in Minsoo’s and Agent M’s worlds. That should be fun and will also help me update faster. Thank you! ^^