Sketch

The Violets

When they were much younger, Ricky threw a tantrum that got him hospitalized. He didn’t eat for the whole day and when the hunger was too much for him, he screamed and screamed and thrashed around. Minsoo was 7 by then, Niel was 5, and Ricky was 4. Imagine, at 4 years old, Ricky has already become a brat that he is.

 

Back then, Ricky used to play with this little girl. She was their neighbor and they’re a little well-off. Well, more well-off than them. Ricky used to play with her everyday. So when their neighbors decided to move to Jeju to join their relatives there, Ricky wanted to go with them. Of course this isn’t permissible. When Ricky learned that he can’t be with his friend, he threw a tantrum - a huge one!

 

Of the three brothers, Ricky is the one with the biggest appetite so when he suddenly stopped eating, they immediately knew that it was because of his friend leaving. It was nighttime when, possibly, the hunger has been too much for him so he went berserk. He threw anything he gets his little hands on, even hitting their mom with the remote control. And yes, this is all because of his hunger.

 

That night, he was rushed to the hospital because he suddenly collapsed amid the chaos the he caused in their house. From then on, the family kept in mind not to allow Ricky to starve himself.

 

Minsoo shook his head as he recalled what happened that day. It was funny, if he thinks about it. But it’s also scary for Ricky’s health. Well at least they discovered a way to make him do what he doesn’t want to. Minsoo smiled at the silliness of it all. He shook his head and again reposition himself in front of his study table.

 

“I have work to do.” He said determined. “I just hope Ricky would stay put until Mom and Dad are back. Oh god! What a nuisance for a dongsaeng!” Minsoo whined but with a half smile playing on his lips.

 

He flipped the book open and re-read the first page of the book. He plans to draw the scenes and create a comic book for himself.

 

He was on the third page when the bookworm in him overpowered his artisic side and decided to just continue reading the book. He decided to start drawing Agent M later. He’ll just finish one chapter and get on with in. For now, he laid back down on his bed. He piled his two pillows and put his head on top of it.


 

When the plague started turning people into flesh-eating monsters, the whole world was sent into chaos. Those that were caught off guard by the next person to them suddenly attacking them and gnawing their flesh were the first ones that fell victim to the savagery. People were confused. People were scared. But most of all, people were lost.

 

They don’t know what to do. They don’t know how to react. Should they go and find their loved ones? Too late, they’ve already turned and are attacking them. Some were lucky enough to get away when the first batch of flesh eaters went on a rampage. But for most people, that wasn’t the case. One by one, people started turning into something else that resembles their former self although it’s easy to see that they’re not the same person anymore.


 

I’m one of the few who were lucky. I was cramped inside my room when the world received the blow. With my earphones plugged deep into my ear, I am oblivious to the world. My parents are in the office and, being the only child of two successful professional, I have my own room that I know, although I’m not guilty about it, that can house one humble family. I have my own entertainment system, mini ref filled with all of my favorite snacks, own bathroom, own veranda, and a king size bed.


 

We’re rich. Oh yes we are. We own a private plane which my parents use for their overseas business trips, or, in some occasions, we used for those rare family trips. I plan to buy my very own yacht but mom hasn’t approved my request for an allowance increase yet so I think that will have to wait.


 

Although now, as the situation turned for the most unimaginable turn, I don’t think that yacht is going to happen anymore. Well, who knows, right? There’s still hope.


 

Getting back to the first day, the first day of the end of the world, wait, that sounds funny saying it like that, no? But it’s the truth. First day of the end of the world. Although the world didn’t really end. It’s the civilization that did. So anyway, I was inside my room, playing computer games when the plague hit.


 

As oblivious as I was, I didn’t know what’s happening outside or what has become of my neighbors, my classmates, teachers, everyone else I know until it’s almost midnight and I noticed that my parents hasn’t called to eat yet. I gotta give it to them. No matter how busy they could become with work, they make sure to come home in time for dinner where we would talk about our day. Yes, it’s always like that. So when my stomach grumble and noticed that no one called me down to eat, I started to wonder. I removed my headset and was greeted with something I haven’t experienced in a long time: Silence.


 

Living at the center of the city, although our house is sitting in the middle of a vast land, we can still hear the life of the road - cars honking, engines revving up, and the constant rattle of the crown from the nearby business district. But that night, it was eerily quiet. I like it but it immediately told me that something is weird.


 

I walked out of my room and was greeted with total darkness. We don’t employ stay-in household help. My mom doesn’t like the idea of strangers living in our house. They come in by day to prepare food, clean, then be gone on their way. I like that setup too.


 

I walked through the darkness. We’ve had this house from our grandparents. This is the house were I was born so I know my way around the house even with eyes closed. And with the darkness that stretches all across the vast mansion, that’s just how it seems to me. I felt for the light switch on the corridor and was thankful when the light bathe the stretch of the family hall. I’m not scared of the dark. On the contrary, I like it. But I have to understand what’s happening and switching on the light seems like a good start.


 

I walked to my parents’ bedroom and saw that it was as they left it that morning. I went to the kitchen and wasn’t really surprised to see it deserted as well. I opened the refrigerator and drank fresh orange juice from the carton. My mom is going to frown on that but what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her, right? I replaced the carton, grabbed an apple, and continue switching on lights.


 

I settled on the living room before fishing my phone from my pocket and dialled mom’s number. When she didn’t pick up, I tried dad’s next. Same. What’s happening? Where are they? It’s highly unlikely for them to miss dinner and when they do, which is very rare, they would phone me to say that I should eat and not wait for them. So why?


 

Still confused, I powered the TV on and switched from channel to channel until I settled on CNN. That’s when I first learned about the plague. I can’t believe it at first. I even thought that it could be some Halloween prank because well, it’s almost Halloween during that time. But when the camera panned at the chaos with which the world has become, the reality sunk in. Hard! I tried making sense of what I’m seeing but no logical explanation comes to mind.


 

I didn’t know I would need first hand experience for reality to really sink in.


 

I heard erratic pounding on the front door that caused me to jolt up and stare at it while willing my heart to calm down. The pounding was followed by my dad’s voice muffled by the thick wooden door that now divides us. I ran towards the door and was greeted by the scene that will forever be etched in my memory.

 

I saw my dad standing right outside the door, his face a perfect mask of horror. He was sweating and his eyes are boring into me. In his arms is my mom. She was unconscious and the crimson blood on her neck that has then drenched her clothes made every hair in my body stand on end. I screamed at my dad. Why didn’t he bring mom to the hospital. He cried and said that no hospital will admit her. That there are no hospitals at all. Period. What are you saying, dad? You’re not making any sense. But so is this situation. What happened to mom? What my dad said next made my world turn upside down: She was bitten by a flesh-eating monster!


 

I didn’t know what I did next I just found the three of us sprawled on the living room with my mom resting on the large sofa. We did what we could to clean her wounds but her heart is slowing down. It would’ve been great if we have a doctor to nurse her but we only have one another. My dad is crying nonstop so I’m left to become the strong one. To be the one to say that mom will be alright and things will be normal again. Who was I kidding?


 

It was when a gurgling sound came from my mom’s mouth, her hands clawing upwards and grabbing my still crying dad. We looked at her, relieved that she’s okay. But it didn’t take a genius to know what has become of her when she  made towards my dad’s neck. My dad was frozen in place but I was quick to pull him away. I screamed at my dad and as though awaken from a trance, he screamed and screamed while his tears continue to flow.


 

My mom continue to claw at us, causing us to move away from her, a combination of horror and worry in our eyes.


 

“This is just what happened to one of our colleagues before he attacked your mom. If she bit us, we will become just like her.” He explained in quivering voice. This is the first time I saw my dad lose his appearance and I can’t blame him. Not one inch. I feel like I will soil my pants anytime soon too. I looked at my mom and I can’t stop the pain and confusion from flooding my frontal lobe.


 

“You mean, if she bit us, we will become just like her now?” I braved to ask although I have an inkling of the answer. My dad nodded and I swallowed the lump on my throat. I started to cry. What caused this?  What’s happening? They can be healed, right? Of course! If it’s an airborne disease, all we have to do is put them in quarantine then cure them when the medicine arrive. That’s right. But my mom is attacking us once again. I heard my dad shriek when mom grab his shoulder and I did what I would never imagine of doing.







 

I killed my mom.


 

 

_______________________________________________________________

A/N: Thankfully, this is fiction. My heart would break to know that a son will be pushed in a situation where he will need to kill his own mother. Oh no. That’s just horrible!

 

P.S. I decided to write the book on Agent M’s perspective to create the distinction between the book and the real world aka Minsoo’s world. Hehe. But I won’t be editing the first chapters and turning it into Agent M’s POV. You know I’m lazy, right? Keke. What do you think of this story so far? I get really few comments although I’m really thankful to those sweet angels for making me feel good. :)) I wish to receive more feedback from you guys so I really hope you could give me that. Jebalyo.. *hands you cookies* ^0^