At Work

The Violets

Minsoo straightened his back and stared at his creation. He has finished sketching Agent M and was really pleased with the outcome. He’s never the conceited or boastful one but he will be a hypocrite if he say that he doesn’t think he draw well. He did! His mother and father says so. Even his rowdy brothers who never did anything but to of his laziness would say that he really did have a talent in drawing.


 

And of the three, he’s the only one with the talent. He inherited it from his dad who also used to draw great images when he was younger. Now that he’s older, he focuses more on their business. It was years since Minsoo last saw his dad draw anything. If he remembered correctly, it was during Ricky’s seventh birthday celebration. He drew the background of the huge banner for Ricky’s birthday. By that time, Ricky was really obsessed with Power Rangers that the three of them were even wearing the costumes! It’s ridiculous but it’s fun.


 

Minsoo stared at the digital wall clock and saw that it was twenty minutes past midnight. Woah! I took that much time drawing one character? Minsoo thought as he stretch and yawn. After finishing the lasagna their mother left for them, Minsoo locked himself inside his room to start on his personal project.


 

Well, that was after giving a strict command to his brothers to lock the doors. The two of them have this habit of going out at night to go to the nearby convenience store to buy midnight snacks. And since Minsoo is in charge of them until their parents get back, Minsoo feared that the two will run into an incident, given that Ricky is a very accident-prone child. Minsoo wished for things to go smoothly. Ordinary and bland is better for him than problem-filled weekend without their parents.


 

Now as he stare at his creation, he didn’t stop himself from smiling. He drew Agent M as a man in his early twenties, short cropped black hair, small eyes that shows authority and strength, small shapely lips, and tall nose. He also drew a fine angular jaw for added masculinity.  Agent M was wearing a black cover all that shows off his broad shoulders, well-defined pectorals, abs as well as toned, lean, and well-sculpted arms and legs.


 

“Woah! Did I overdo it? He looks like a perfect action figure.” Minsoo said as he examine the character scribbled on the paper.


 

He hasn’t read the part yet where Agent M described his physical appearance but Minsoo thinks that if ever, Agent M would look like this. Although the thought that the character might be white, Minsoo liked the idea that Agent M is Asian, or better yet, Korean.


 

He collected his drawing tools, compiled all the papers, and started for his bed. It’s a few hours past his usual bedtime and he’s really sleepy. He succumbed to the sweet thought of sleep and was soon drifting off to dreamland.


 

The talk with my dad has been quiet. Does that make sense? A talk that’s quiet? Well, that’s how it rolled when I entered his room. Although I’ve been really busy with the mission, I still make it a point to meet with my dad and share stories with him. He’s always fascinated at the fact that I am now a superhuman. He said that he’d want to be made into one too if he’s younger. That’s another thing about us - they only select young adults to inject the serum in.


 

I am yet to tell everything about the transformation but for now, let me share the story about my short recent visit with my dad.


 

As I entered his suite which was relatively larger than other suites given that he’s the father of an agent, I saw him sitting on his study table with an open book in hand. He wasn’t reading it though. He was staring off somewhere. Since HQ is built underground, we don’t have the luxury to gaze off at the fields of greens. We’re enclosed in nothing but metal walls, metal floors, and metal ceilings. But who’s complaining? At least we’re safe from flesh-eating monsters.


 

I greeted my dad and he beckoned me to sit across him. With one look, I know that he already know what’s bothering me. He lowered his gaze and inhaled a lung-full of air.


 

“Stop being guilty, son. It’s not your fault.”

 

That was all that was said and already, I was willing my tears to stop from falling. I miss my mom so much!


 

My dad pulled me inside his arms and there, I sobbed like a child. Been a long time since I had a good cry. When was the last? I wonder.


 

I asked him how he was when I regained my composure and remember that I am no longer the little boy I have been. He smiled and said that he’s never been better. I was glad to hear that. I told him where my next mission will be at and he bid me good luck. After that, we hugged and I was out of his suite and on my way to the fly pad where my odds are waiting.


 

The flight was delightful as it has always been. I love flying. When I was younger, I was scared of heights - afraid of falling and getting hurt, afraid of the fall killing me. But with the serum, I gained a newfound courage. The thought that nothing can hurt you or kill you gives off the notion that there’s nothing you can’t do. I like it. No, I love it.


 

Let me tell you now how else the serum changed me and my life.


 

After that fateful night at the house, my dad and I stayed at home with doors bolted tight from the inside. We never made any unnecessary noise, afraid that it will attract more zombies. We learned ways to avoid them and was well on our own for a couple more days.


 

What we haven’t realized, or even thought of, is that the living are more dangerous than the zombies waiting to eat you alive.


 

It was almost dark then. My dad and I are silently sitting across each other on the dining area, eating little as we’re saving our food supplies. We have no idea how long this whole craziness will go on so we’ve decided to be smart and only eat what we need. Well, we haven’t been smart enough.


 

The silence was broken by the sound of our back door being broken down. My dad quickly went to see what it was and I walked behind him, the iron coat rack in my hands. That’s when we saw men strutting inside our home. They’re as startled as us but they’re quicker to get their bearings. The next second, they have a gun pointed at my dad’s head. I was frozen on my tracks. I just lost my mom, for crying out loud! Not my dad too!


 

My dad quickly put his hands up and said that we’re not going to fight them. The intruders declared that they’re rummaging our house for food and essentials. I wanted to object because then, we will have nothing. I don’t what went on inside my head. Instead, I told them to get what they want and leave us unharmed. I told them about my mom, although I hid the gruesome details behind, and they seem to understand that we’ve had it harder than they thought. They nodded without saying another word before robbing us off our food supply. They kept their word - they didn’t hurt us. For that, we’re still lucky, right? I’d like to think so. I mean, we have our lives. What’s there not to be thankful for, right?


 

But we’re out of food.


 

Good thing though, they didn’t rummaged every room in the house and the mini ref on my room has been spared. Dad and I survived the following week with my snacks as supplement.


 

Maybe we really did had it better than the others who needed to threaten good people into giving them their food supply or simply rummaging one’s home just because the inhabitants have fallen victim to the plague. For my dad and I, it was… quiet. How else could I describe it? Uneventful? Yeah, I think that’s it. After that food robbing incident, things have been quiet. If not for the constant growling noises at the other side of our walls and doors, I would say that things are normal.


 

That was until we received the broadcast of the government calling out to survivors to get to the Blue House - the official residence of the President of South Korea. The news both delighted and scared us. Delighted in the sense that in there, we can expect food and safety from any more burglars. Sure, we’ve been lucky from the first encounter. But what if the next group of people to barge in our home would be ruthless criminals who wouldn’t heed to our pleas of life? What then? At least in the Blue House, we can rest assured that there’d be guards to maintain peace as well as keep the zombies at bay.


 

But on the downside, we will have to travel all the way to the Blue House which is at the center of the capital city. Our house is in the outskirts of Seoul. My parents liked the tranquility of the town. Although our town has grown more industrialized than it has been decades before, it’s still more serene than Seoul.


 

The distance wouldn’t have been an issue since we have cars. But is it safe to travel outside with all these zombies lurking around? How sure are we that we can get to the Blue House unbitten and alive?


 

Minsoo flipped the page and smiled at his discovery.


 

“So, Agent M is Korean. I like that.” He smiled and visualize the next set of drawings he’s going to do.




_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Of course he’s Korean! Kekeke!

 

P.S. I’ve decided to Italize the text when it’s Agent M talking to make a clear distinction that the text was from the book that Minsoo is reading. I hope this helps you differentiate the two characters. Comments please! Thank you! ^0^