Mom

The Violets

Minsoo closed the book without removing his index finger to mark the page where he stopped reading. The moment he remove himself from the book, he was greeted with silence. Silence that is not really normal given that his two brothers are the rowdiest of young adults he has ever met. So what’s keeping the two of them quiet?


 

Minsoo left a dog’s ear on the page of the book and headed outside of his room to check on his brothers. As he do so, he felt his stomach growl. Now that he think about it, it’s three hours passed lunch time. He needed to eat something or else the monster inside his belly won’t let him sit still.


 

He went straight to the kitchen with the thought lingering at the back of his mind that his brothers would most probably be there too. Despite their many differences - Minsoo being the quiet and reserved one while his brothers are talkative and outgoing, there is one thing they share most in common. That is, their love for food. The fact that their mom cooks the best Korean dishes in town is one factor to blame for it.


 

“Niel? Ricky? Where are you two?” He called out as he turned towards the kitchen but still heard not a hint of movement.


 

He made it into the kitchen without catching a glimpse of the two. He proceeded to open the refrigerator in search for food. He smiled upon seeing that the cake from last night which their father bought as an anniversary gift for their mom is still there. Now this is even weirder. Niel and Ricky are notorious about sweets. They will devour every last bit of any sweets they can get their hands on. So how did this cake survived?


 

Allowing himself to stop analyzing things deeper, Minsoo took a spoon and dived into the cake. He took a carton of milk and took a huge gulp after choking on a big slice of cake. He almost laughed at his own silliness. Had he been that hungry? He shook his head and continue eating.


 

Once he’s done eating, he went back to search for his brothers. He walked out of the house to see if they’re in the garden. Wait, has Ricky went back to lying down beneath the tree? I will choke him lifeless if I found him there! Minsoo thought as he walk through the pebbled stone patches strategically placed around their garden. But there are no signs of them there too.


 

He went back inside and decided to check their rooms. Now as he realize it, why didn’t he start looking for them there? He arrived at the room shared by Niel and Ricky and found the door ajar. Again, no signs of his brothers.


 

“Niel! Ricky Where are you two?” He called once again but still received that same silence.


 

Finally, as he walk to the entertainment room, he found them. With their backs against the door, Minsoo could only see the two of them sitting straight on the sofa in front of the flat screen TV. The light from the appliance drawing a shade of light blue flicker around their form. The light in the room was turned off but Minsoo didn’t bother turning it on as he walk towards his brothers.


 

“I was calling you two, why aren’t you answering me?” He asked calmly as he walk in front of them.


 

“Wait, are you crying?” Minsoo asked with huge disbelief written across his face.


 

Ricky sniffed and Niel sniffed in chorus with him.


 

“Hey! What’s happening?” Minsoo asked, getting concerned but also felt like laughing at the puffiness of his dongsaengs’ faces. Both their eyes are rimmed red from crying. Their noses are also red but what stood out the most are Niel’s lips. Originally, they are really thick as compared to normal Koreans’ lips but whenever he cry or eat anything that’s spicy, Niel’s lips double or even triple their size. This time, Minsoo allowed himself to laugh.


 

“Ya! Quiet yourself! Can’t you see we’re watching?” Ricky said in a strained voice.


 

As if on cue, Minsoo whirled around and stared at the screen to see what his brothers are watching. It was Miracle in Cell No. 7. Minsoo has heard talks of how people cried over that movie but he’s yet to watch it.


 

“You’re crying over a movie?” Minsoo asked wide-eyed but with a tug of smile playing on the corner of his lips.


 

Instead of answering him, the two remained staring at the screen, tissues in hand as they dab their eyes and blow their noses.


 

Minsoo walked out of the room shaking his head. He fished his phone from his pocket and dialled their mom’s number. He knows this is going to be an international call and will cost some amount but their mom instructed him to give them updates. And so, he’s doing just that.


 

On the third ring, the line was picked up.


 

“Hey mom!” He greeted with a smile on his face that transcended to his voice and through the line that connects him to his mother.


 

“Oh hi, Minsoo-ya! How are things there? All good, I assume?” His mom’s voice sounded so kind and pleasant to Minsoo’s ears. His smile widened.


 

“Yeah. Just wanted to know how you and dad are. Did you arrive safely?”


 

“Yes, we did. We’re planning to have dinner at a restaurant by the beach later. I heard they serve really great seafood here.” She’s exhilarated, that’s evident.


 

“Good. As for us here, maybe we can order pizza for dinner.”


 

“I prepared lasagna, dear. It’s on the top shelf in the ref. Just heat it in the oven.”


 

“Of course you did! Thanks mom!”


 

“So, what are your brothers doing? It’s weird, it sounds quiet there. What are they up to?”


 

Minsoo laughed at that remark. Both at the fact that even their mom know just how loud the two can be and at the story he will shortly tell her.


 

“They’re watching a movie and they’re crying! They look funny!” Minsoo let out a fit of laughter that was intensified by his deep baritone voice. It sounded so crisp through the line. His mother laughed with him.


 

“Oh boy, but that’s mean. Why are you laughing at your brothers? Maybe the story was really sad.”


 

“It’s Miracle in Cell No. 7.”


 

“Oh, I heard that movie is really sad but we’re yet to watch it.”


 

“Yeah. Let’s watch it together when you get back.”


 

“That’s a date.”


 

“Say hi to dad for us, mom!”


 

“Of course! He’s in the bathroom right now but I’ll tell him. Take care of your brothers until we get back, okay?”


 

“Got that!” Minsoo smiled.


 

“I know you would. I love you, my son. Send my love to your brothers as well.”


 

“I will. And I love you too, mom! You take care and enjoy there, okay? Don’t worry about us.”


 

“I can’t possibly do that. I worry about you three a lot.”


 

“No need to be. We’re adults now. Just enjoy, okay?”


 

“Okay. I love you. I’ll see you three soon! Bye!”


 

“I love you too, mom! And dad too! Enjoy and see you soonest!”


 

Minsoo replaced his phone in his pocket and made his way back to his room. It’s one humid afternoon. He needed a shower. And after that, maybe he can start working on his sketch.



_______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I don’t think I’ll ever write a Minsoo fanfic where C.A.P doesn’t act all sweet to his mom. That’s one characteristic of him that I really really find adorable. I love him more for that. :)

 
P.S. Someone wonderful might be making a poster for this story. Weee... I'm greatly excited for that!! Thank you! ^0^