Book

The Violets

The smell of burning flesh and the never-ending snarls of the undead assault his nose and irritates his ears. Though he’s been wiping the earth from these flesh-eating monsters for years, he still couldn’t bring himself to “get used to it” as his subordinates often tell him. He still feels sick from the foul smell and the work that needs to be done. He still feels that none of these should be happening.

 

The outbreak of these flesh-eating monsters, or what others simply coin as zombies or undead, have started almost a decade ago. The brightest of scientists still hasn’t discovered the cure or even went remotely near the origin of the virus. For years, scientists from all over the world have worked together to determine the origin of the chaos. They’ve administered tests after tests, formulated solutions and cures, but still none have ever been successful.

 

When the situation started to get out of hand – civilization started to crumble one after the other, and people started to turn against each other just to survive, the government decided that they should intervene. They created a force to fight against the undead – The Violets.

 

Scientists specializing in bio-weaponry were sought and gathered to create human weapon under their command. Zombies are not really agile but they don’t need rest to keep going. They also don’t feel pain. Despite being shot multiple times, as long as their brain remain intact, they will continue to walk, hunt humans for food, and then move on to the next town. On and on. They can keep going on and on.

 

Keeping this in mind, the leaders of the organization voted and agreed to make their bio-weapons as relentless, if not more, than the undead. They should not require sleep, food, nor water. Their bodies should be quick to regenerate if and when they get wounded. Their cells and tissues should be made immune to the virus. Should they feel pain? No. That wouldn’t be necessary. How about emotions? Can we take that away from them? Not completely. These are still humans in origin. We’re simply modifying what they already have and making the most of what they’re made of.

 

When the idea of creating human weapons to fight against the undead has been formulated and agreed on, the government gathered all the able-bodied citizens to be tested. First, they need strong men and women both physically and mentally to get past the abrupt transformation. They have to be full-grown humans as the serum will stop their bodies from ageing. This means that no human child should be subject to the experiment. They can, however, join The Violets when they’re of the right age.

 

Those who were able to wake up after the serum have been injected lineup to form the army. Those who did not, well, continued to sleep.

 

Those that survived were given new identity, assigned their tasks, and deployed to different areas to clean it from zombies lurking and haunting them. Occasionally, they would find survivors. In these events, they would bring the survivors with them and take them to safety. The safest place would be the HQ. Buried 500 kilometers deep into the earth, and spans as large as half of America, the HQ is the only place left on earth that no zombie has ever step foot in. In here, a civilization of mixed race and nationalities coexist and help rebuild humanity.

 

The order is clear: Get to the assigned area, wipe it clean, look for survivors, check if they’re infected; if not, carry them to HQ, if they are, execute them. Since cure still hasn’t been found, they only resort to killing the infected person before it transformed into yet another flesh-eating monster and start attacking them.

 

“M!” Someone grabbed his shoulder from behind but he need not turn his head to know that it’s one of his subordinates.

 

“I know.” The man who was called M gritted his teeth as he once again eye the little girl in front of him. He would’ve saved her. Bring her to HQ. But she’s been bitten. He needed to end her life here.

 

“I can do it if you want.” His subordinate offered.

 

“Thank you. But I got it.” M said and with all the resolve he can muster, stuck his knife at the little girl’s temple. It’s a good thing that the girl is unconscious as she is already having difficulty in breathing because of her wound and the virus killing her cells inside. There are those god-forsaken instances that the bitten would plead to be spared, with some even kissing his leather boots just to be let alive. The human inside him aches at the sight but his orders are absolute. Plus, he knows the consequences once they let someone bitten inside HQ. It’s like putting a rotten tomato in a basket full of fresh tomatoes. That one rotten tomato can infest all the fresh ones and soon, all of them will be infested by worms from that sole rotten tomato.

 

 M doesn’t need to hear that analogy. He understood full well what’s at stake if he let his emotions get the better of him. During those times, he wished that they rid them of their emotions as well. After all, they don’t need those when all they were asked to do is kill.

 

“Are we clear?” M shouted and the two other agents nodded their heads. “We’re heading out!” The three of them kicked the ground and leaped ten feet up towards the hovering helicopter. They have no survivors today but they all wish to get lucky tomorrow.

 

Minsoo closed the book he was reading and stared at the cover with interest. He nods his head as he read the synopsis at the back cover of the book. For some reason, he found this book inside his locker. He’s a huge bookworm and books are his best friends. That’s why, he didn’t hesitate to open the book and read it when he found it inside his locker. Never mind that this isn’t his. He’s not even considering to understand how it ended up in his locker as long as he has a new book. Well, that could be a weakness on his part because this also means that someone have access to his locker. But to him, if that means getting new books then it’s fine.

 

He put the book inside his backpack before closing his locker door. His heart almost jumped out of his chest when he saw two faces painfully close to his own.

 

“You two startled me!” He said in an even tone.

 

The taller one wrinkled his nose. “Wow, you’re startled that way? I wanna see when you’re not.”

 

“What do you want, Niel? And Ricky?” This time eyeing the shorter one, the youngest of them three.

 

“Sometimes, I really wonder how you are our older brother. We’re here because we’re going home together! Have you forgotten that we live in the same house and that we will ride home in the same car?” The youngest, Ricky, said animatedly – large eyes and exaggeratedly wide mouth.

 

“You’re silly.” Minsoo shook his head as he went on ahead to the parking lot. His thoughts are back to the book he’s reading a couple of minutes ago. It seemed really interesting and he can’t wait to read the rest once he gets home. His two brothers, being the rowdy boys that they are, ran past him while screaming at each other on who’s going to sit in the passenger’s side this time. Minsoo shook his head in amusement. While he’s laid back and often keeps to himself, his brothers are loud and enjoy the company of huge crowds of people. Could they really be my brothers? Minsoo thought as he shakes his head with a smile before unlocking the car door for his impatient brothers.

 

________________________________________________________________

A/N: What do you think about this one? Too different from Killing Island is it? Hehehe. Please comment, subscribe, and upvote! Thank you and Happy new year everyone! Cheers!