For 1002: Skip a Beat

PROMPT 03: Secret Santa Fic Exchange

For: Jicandy
By: Anon
Word Count: ~2.5k
Summary: Baekhyun never expected to attend the Soccer Team celebration party, neither did he expected to leave the party with a certain somebody on his mind.
Author’s Note: I attempted to fulfil a prompt and this was the result. I apologize for any grammar mistake and if this didn’t fulfill all your expectations. I did my best describing dances, if it’s a fail, then I am sorry for that too. Hope you all enjoy.

 


 

 

Being a college student was hard; that’s what he would answer if you ever asked him, and it was harder when you were obligated to keep your grades up or else the possibility of you losing your scholarship would be hot on your heels, so living off of coffee and cheap ramen was the only choice he had to make the most out of the studying days.

Baekhyun was the typical book-worm kind of you guy, you’d always see him first-row in classrooms attending more lectures than necessary, “for extra credits” he’d say. Or he’d be in his shared dorm sitting on his desk and humpbacked with a book under his eyes; If not there then he’d be at the cozy coffee shop near campus, when things became too though and unbearable. He considered himself aual, he’s never been attracted to anyone, and he was scared of getting in too deep with people, so he did what he knew best. He avoided any form of interactions with any breathing being.

He never set time for himself. Social life? What was that? He’s never heard of it. Nope, definitely he hasn’t. Well, he knew people, yes, the classmates and acquaintances he has collected throughout his life and also those with whom he interacted every day whether on the street or places he uses to hang around. There was just one person he called friend, and that was Kyungsoo.

They’ve known each other for so long that he barely remembers a little boy with big round eyes and jet black hair approaching his weak figure sitting in front of his new house’s porch.

“Hello, my name is Do Kyungsoo. My mother told me to be a good kid and invite you to play with me today, since we are now neighbors. And after we’re done kicking this ball,” He raised a big soccer ball to make his point. “We can come back to my house and eat the cookies she makes.” He grinned.

“I don’t think I can’t. My mom doesn’t like me playing soccer; she’s afraid I will scrap my knees or break a leg.” He sighed.

“What’s your name?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Baekhyun.”

“Baekhyun? Nice to meet you, Baek. Can I talk to your mama so she can allow you to play with me?”

Baekhyun nodded excitedly. He led him inside his house and took him to the kitchen where his mother was already cooking dinner.

And so they did. They play all evening, until the sky turned a dark shade of blue and their families called them up for dinner and bed time. He holds that memory very close to his heart and, at this point in his life, he was thankful to the heavens above he hadn’t run away from him yet.

He lacked so much in the social department, he was clumsy, awkward and it was a miracle if he could hold a conversation with somebody new for more than five minutes without embarrassing himself in the process, but who was to blame? It was he who had chosen to stay from any human interaction and instead found refuge in the pages of all his textbooks within the confines of his bedroom. But he had his character and he knew his place well.

“Hi, Baek.” Kyungsoo greeted from the door of their shared room. He slumped down on his bed, hugging a pillow to his chest. “I just got back from the school’s last season game and guess what? They won the championship!! They were up against the dudes from Western College! The rival university across town.”

“Oh, really? Cool.” Baekhyun replied, the uninterested tone on his voice revealing how he exactly fell about that information.

“I know you don’t care about it a bit-”

“Good to know you know.” Baekhyun interrupted, his eyes were still fixated on the book on the desk.

Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes. Typical. “-But you’ll see, the team’s captain, Lu Han, is close friends with Jongin-”

“And?”

“And after the game finished, he invited us to his house tomorrow night, the frat is throwing a small party to celebrate the triumph.”

“Don’t count me in.” “And I was wondering if you wanted to come with us.” Both said at the same time.

“Oh, come on! You’ve got to be kidding me Baek.” Kyungsoo groaned, siting cross-legged on his bed.

“I don’t have anything to do there and you know it.” Baekhyun retorted.

“Baekhyun, you have to stop thinking like that. Please, see this as an opportunity to let loose and have a good time for once. I can’t even remember when was the last time I saw you enjoying yourself.” Kyungsoo stood up and made his way “When you’re older and want to look back in time, I don’t want you regretting the chances you didn’t take.”

Baekhyun blinked his tears away, and stood up from his desk. “Soo, wait!” He screamed. “Okay. I will.”

“Are you kidding me, right?”

Baekhyun snorted. “No, I’m not. I’m going. Tomorrow night, you said?”

“Hey, I want you to join us not because you feel forced to, but because you want it.” He said, taking in the spot in the bed he had already occupied.

“Yes, Kyungsoo, I will go to this party with you. I want it. Also, I don’t want my only friend thinking I’m such a party wrecker chicken.” He took in the sight of his best friend’s smile and he smiled too, feeling relieved to see he was not mad at him, yet somehow he couldn’t stop the feeling inside of him telling him that he was going to regret it.

“Who are you and where’s my best friend?” He said in an affectionate tone.

The party, from the outside, didn’t seem to be that special at all. There was no one around, not at least in a 4kms radius. There were parked cars in front of the houses aligning the street, just like any typical neighborhood. Either were wasted teenagers sprawled on the grass, as you would expect to find in any wild fraternity party. However, the music coming from one particular big house was loud and disturbing in his ears, almost to the point of making him dizzy. Lights of all colors came out through the front windows making the whole place glow in a too bright light.

“Let’s go in, Jongin is waiting for us.” Kyungsoo pull him in, guiding the way to the open door.

“O- Okay.” Baekhyun stuttered.

And as they got in through the main entrance, a guy with doe-like eyes and a mope of honey brown hair welcomed them with two cups of beer.

Now inside, the music got even louder. Bass drumming in his chest, making him feel uneasy. The lights were so bright, they made him blind.

“Kyungsoo,” He started. “I feel so uncomfortable. I want to leave. Now.” They had made their way through the mass of dancing people, the strong smell of cheap alcohol hitting his nostril; making him want to puke.

“Look, Baekhyun, we just got here, ok? We can’t leave. Please, you promised me you’d try and enjoy yourself.”

“I ain’t promised you . I want to leave Kyungsoo. Those sweaty bodies are disgusting.”

“Why are you being like this?” Kyungsoo sighed. It was his fault Baekhyun was acting this way after all. “Okay. Look.” He rubbed his temple. “Just give me five minutes okay? Five minutes. I need to find Jongin and tell him that I’m leaving with you.

“But I can easily take a taxi, you don’t need to take me home.”

“I dragged you here, okay? It’s my responsibility, so I’m taking you back.”

“But you have a-”

“Shut up and wait for me here, okay? Just don’t move.” He left and Baekhyun was left watching his body disappear in the crowd.

Without Kyungsoo by his side, he was lost. He started looking at his surroundings, taking in the sight of broken china, empty cups, and young bodies moving along to the beat. Without noticing, his eyes started wandering to the dance floor where people were dancing animatedly along the beat. Couples making out, strangers grinding on each other, lonely people moving like they had no care in the world.

But something different seemed to catch his attention. There, in the middle of the dance floor was a guy. Not any ordinary guy. The iest guy Baekhyun’s ever seen in his short life. Not like he’s many, but that doesn’t count.

He never took his eyes from him; each movement was so sharp and precise, it looked surreal. He was dancing so in sync with the song, as if he owned the stage. Which it seemed he did. A small circle of people gathered around him to watch him dance. He felt breathless. The soft tunes of DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love by Usher were playing in the background, making the scenery in front of him even more . But Baekhyun didn’t listen; he was captivated by the moves.

He was handsome. He had a baby face but his features seemed as if they were shaped by Michelangelo himself. No, he wasn’t exaggerating. He had never seen somebody like him. He was tall and lean, muscles adorning his arms. Long legs that seemed to have no end. He was wearing black skinny jeans, a colorful wife beater, a jacket and a snapback.

He’s sure he’s been staring for too long, but the guy’s body rolls were making it hard for him to breathe. And as the song was reaching its , he lifted up his shirt in the span of a second. “Were those abs?! Oh, my- Jesus Christ hold me.” He thought.

Just when the song ended, the dancer looked up at him with a pleased smile on his face and a fire burning hot in his eyes; their gazes locked and his heart might have skipped a beat… or two.

Little did Baekhyun know that the other felt the exact same way.

He didn’t know how it happened, or when, but they were dancing. He was dancing with this stranger. Sehun was his name. That’s what the crowd started shouting when the song ended. But they were not just dancing, dirty dancing. They were so close; he could almost feel the other’s breathing burning in his neck. The sway of their hips sending shivers through his body. He was hyperaware and hypersensitive, Sehun’s hand burning on his skin. He felt hot all over. Has it been hours or just minutes?

“How comes I’ve never seen you around campus before?” Sehun whispered in Baekhyun’s ear with a husky voice that put him on the edge. “I would’ve recognized this pretty face of yours anywhere.”

“Maybe you’ve never entered a library in your life before. Taking in your looks, it seems like I am right.” He shrugged but kept dancing as if nothing had happened.

Baekhyun’s definition of dance was to move his feet from side to side no matter if he stepped on Sehun. He didn’t know how to dance and he warned him though, but the other didn’t care, insisting that he’d teach him, and he himself was too tipsy to even give it a second thought.

“Woah, wow, calm down beauty.” He turned Baekhyun around and raised his hands in surrendering sign. “But you know what? You’re right. I’m always busy at our dance studio. The last time I stepped on our library was in my first semester.” He pulled him closer by the hips, and started swaying them both from to the rhythm.

“Don’t call me that.” He frowned. “I know hapkido, I can punch you.” As if he could mean any harm. He could never punch Sehun even if he wanted to.

“Okay, I will stop, but with one condition.” Sehun smirked at him.

“And what would that be?” Baekhyun replied. He wanted nothing more than to kiss those lips.

“What’s your name? I want to know your name.” He stopped dancing and tilted his head up just to see Sehun looking straight at him. Why did he make him feel nervous? “Get your together, Baek.” He shook his head, believing that could help him recover his senses.

“My name? My name is B-” He stopped. I can’t tell him my name. I need to forget. “Jungsoo.” He whispered, hoping Sehun wouldn’t hear. But he did.

“Come with me, Jungsoo.” Sehun pulled Baekhyun to the side where a minibar could be seen with the only intention of getting to know the smaller male better. Baekhyun didn’t protest.

Many drinks later, and Baekhyun could not remember a time in his life when he had not known Sehun. With his back turned and his eyes closed, he could remember every stray hair that fell in Sehun's face as he spoke. By the time midnight came around, he had fallen hard. But he couldn’t.

“And so… what’s your number, pretty thing?” He asked Baekhyun, a cocky smile never leaving his handsome face. The question brought him back to his senses and made him realize of his surroundings. He couldn’t let this go on. He needed to leave and forget about Sehun.

Baekhyun sighed and rolled his eyes at him. He stood up and turned away; leaving Sehun standing dumbfounded in the middle of the now almost empty room. How dared him.

“Hey, stop. Where are you going?” Sehun grabbed his arms a little tightly yet it didn’t hurt.

“I need to go.” He said, eyes not meeting Sehun’s afraid he’d get lost in those warm brown orbs that made him feel alive tonight.

“But tell me what did I do?” Sehun asked, almost in a desperate voice. He pulled Baekhyun closer to him. “I just asked for your number. We’ve been talked all night. I thought we got alone just fine!”

“I told you not to call me things like that.” He replied in a voice dry from any emotion. He got free from his grasp and left the house. Not daring to look back at Sehun or else he wouldn’t be responsible from what he’d do.

“That’s what you didn’t like? Okay, I’d call you by your name. No more nicknames. But don’t leave. The night is still young.”

“I’m sorry, Sehun.” Baekhyun ran away, like the chicken he was. Kyungsoo long forgotten. The only thing on his mind was the chance he lost with Sehun, and the fact that he lied to him.

Sehun, on the other hand, was left looking at the retreating figure of the petit fiery; “Damn he got curves, just how I like.” He whispered to himself, music still blasting on his ears. “I’ll find you, little one. Even if that’s the last thing I’d do.”

The first notes of Wild Ones by Flo Rida stared blasting through the speakers. “How appropriate.” He grabbed the half-empty bottle of beer and drank it in one go.