For 1211: It's Freezing (But You Keep Me Warm)

PROMPT 03: Secret Santa Fic Exchange

For: kitty_min

By: Anon

Rating: PG13

Word count: ~3.8k

Warning(s): Massive Huang Zitao hate (jk)

Summary: Baekhyun never believed in love at the first sight till he met Sehun.

Author's Note: I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense and is rushed and ty. sobs. (I don't hate Zitao at all)

 

 

", it's freezing." Baekhyun cursed aloud, teeth chattering as he turned up the heater and hugged his arms around himself. It's just another Friday night alone in his apartment and the snow had just begun to fall, so Baekhyun doesn't really understand how it could be so cold already. He really should have gotten used to it by now, being born and growing up here after all. Even with the heater at its maximum, he could still feel his fingers trembling.

 

Baekhyun and cold had never gotten along well. He much prefers the summer, the time of the year he could dress in a simple tee and ripped jeans yet still look trendy at the same time, enjoying the burn of the sun on his skin. He wished summer didn't have to go. There's not one reason he could find to love winter; it gets terribly cold and Christmas would come as a reminder of how lonely he is. Sure, there are his closest friends Kyungsoo and Jongdae, but they spend Christmas with their families every year and Christmas eve with their respective boyfriends, Chanyeol and Jongin. Baekhyun, on the other hand, has no family left alive, let alone a special someone he could spend his entire life with. It's a pretty sad thing, now that he thought about it.

 

It is not that he doesn't believe in love but he gets nauseous whenever Jongdae or Kyungsoo would gloat about how amazing love at first sight is. Now that? That he doesn't believe in. Baekhyun believes love develops in time. How could one fall in love with another without knowing them first? It's a pretty ridiculous thing to him. He's hopelessly romantic and at times he imagines a day spent in the arms of his lover but he isn't sure when that time would come, if it will at all.

 

Now as he snuggled with layers and layers of blanket on his couch, a cup of hot chocolate in hand, Baekhyun shivered at the cold, pissed off and more than ready for winter to be over. Christmas is a month away but neither Kyungsoo nor Jongdae are free to spend the night with him. Shopping for Christmas, they said. More like making out with their boyfriends. Baekhyun groaned at the image he's put into his head, having seen the view of his gay best friends locking lips with their partners. Those weren't a pleasant sight, to be very honest.

 

Sighing, Baekhyun turned off the TV and got off the couch to get ready for bed. He's not certain if he'd be able to sleep, considering the decreasing temperature. Checking that the doors are locked, Baekhyun turned off all the lights and retreated to his bedroom, where he soon flopped down onto the bed. He was so, so close to falling asleep when his cell phone rang, and he whined to see that Jongdae had called. He answered it at the sixth ring, knowing his best pal won't stop until he does. With a groggy voice, Baekhyun frowned. "Hello?"

 

"BYUN BAEKHYUN, MY LOVE!" The shriek coming from the other end of the line startled Baekhyun, causing him to pull the phone slightly away from his ear. Jongdae continued, as always. "I see you're off to bed. It's Friday night, baby. And the holidays just began! What are you doing home?!"

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, not even slightly bothered by the names Jongdae was calling him; he'd gotten used to it after about fourteen years. "How the hell do you even know I was going to bed? And don't call me those names."

 

"I know because you always answer my calls at like, the sixth or seventh ring whenever you're off to sleep." Jongdae's amused voice placed an image of a smirking Jongdae in Baekhyun's head and he tries to shake it off by shaking his head.

 

"I don't care if it's too early to go to bed." Baekhyun whined into the phone.

 

There was a slight huffing and sounds of movement where Jongdae is, and when the line became clear again it was Kyungsoo's voice that pierced Baekhyun's eardrums. "Byun, you best get here because it's Zitao's birthday party and we never miss Zitao's birthday parties for the past eight years so I don't care if it's past midnight and you need your beauty sleep or whatever it is that you call it. Get your here before I drag you here myself."

 

Baekhyun let out another groan, "I never said I like Zitao. In fact, I do wonder why we kept going to parties we weren't invited to. Zitao is our mortal enemy, Do Kyungsoo, so please. Let me sleep."

 

"HELL NO!" Kyungsoo shrieked into the phone, making Baekhyun cringe. He frowned when Kyungsoo's voice suddenly changed into a softer one, almost nice. "Please, Baekkie? I heard Kris is gonna dump him right here at the party in front of everyone and I just thought you'd want to see."

 

It was rather tempting. Nothing could be better than to witness the boy who torments you for a living get dumped by the one person he thought loved him. In a way, Baekhyun feels a little bad for finding joy in another's pending heartbreak, but then again he's pretty sure Zitao didn't feel bad at all when he made Baekhyun fall on his way up the stage, or when he "accidentally" spilled his strawberry milkshake all over Baekhyun's perfectly styled hair (it took him forever to make it look the way it did before Zitao came along). So it isn't really terrible for him to want to see the look on Zitao's face when his boyfriend of one year dumps him at his own birthday party.

 

Baekhyun sighed, chewed at his bottom lip before telling Kyungsoo to wait and that he'd be there in less than an hour. It's funny because suddenly he wasn't sleepy anymore.

 

The first thing he saw when he crossed the threshold of the Huang property was Jongdae making out with his precious little squishy, Kim Jongin. You could mistake them for brothers if you read their names on a piece of paper (but no way in looks. definitely not, Baekhyun can confirm that; Jongin is actually pretty hot but then he wasn't really Baekhyun's type). He scrunched up his nose in actual disgust, not appreciating the sight of saliva getting involved. He avoided them and made a beeline to where he saw Kyungsoo standing, a red party cup in hand. Baekhyun groaned, it's never good when alcohol is involved. In about three, two, one... There! A drunk giant clings onto his midget best friend (not that he was much taller, but taller still). A drunk Chanyeol is a Kyungsoo so it was never good a sight for Baekhyun. He considered going home but Kyungsoo already spotted him. Damn.

 

He beamed at the shorter male and finally reached, quickly engulfed in the arms of an alcohol-reeked Park Chanyeol. If he wasn't Kyungsoo's future husband, Baekhyun would put him on the list of people he'd never waste a second on. But Chanyeol's actually a nice guy, just not when he's drunk. He pulled away from the embrace with a fake smile, patting Chanyeol on the shoulder before turning to face Kyungsoo. This time, his grin is genuine, because even though Kyungsoo could be such a devil sometimes, they'd been best friends since he could remember and it was always good to see each other. Kyungsoo pecked him on the cheek, gesturing at something behind Baekhyun with his eyes. Baekhyun followed his gaze.

 

"They say Kris found himself another Chinese guy, Luhan or something, and that they'd been cheating on Zitao. It's sad but then it's Zitao and no one likes Zitao." Kyungsoo explained.

 

Baekhyun cringed. "Cliché. How does he not know this when everyone else does?"

 

"Love is blind, Baekhyun. He's been blinded."

 

"Not true," Baekhyun shook his head. "Love opens our eyes to the world, not shield us from reality. Look at you, scoring straight A's because Chanyeol made you realize education is actually important." Baekhyun beamed, reaching out to ruffle Kyungsoo's hair.

 

There's a faint blush on Kyungsoo's cheeks, and he glanced at his boyfriend who had passed out on the couch. "You're right. But anyway, if you happen to be in the presence of Huang Zitao and he's bawling his eyes out, would you lend a shoulder?"

 

Baekhyun frowned. "Now why on earth would I do that? I know the difference between an enemy and a friend. Huang Zitao is definitely an enemy and I would never be in any acquaintance with the enemy's friends or anyone involved with the ene - "

 

He was interrupted when his eyes caught a glimpse of something, someone, tall; broad shoulders, milky skin, dark brown hair and jawline and collarbones. Baekhyun's lips were parted in mid-sentence. Why in the world would someone show so much skin in winter? It's freezing even though he's covered in layers of sweaters. Not that he doesn't appreciate the show of collarbones - and arms, definitely not - but he'd rather die in heat than wear a freaking tank top in this weather. That aside, Baekhyun's gaze trailed up to carefully study the man's features - prominent jawline, pink lips, crescent eyes (because he's laughing and oh my god his voice when he laughs).

 

He swallowed at the sight of the said boy's Adam's apple bobbing up and down as he spoke, cold fingers suddenly warm beneath his gloves. The feeling is weird - he had never seen someone so... attractive before. So dazzling and glowing and handsome and.. glowing. Baekhyun was having difficulties breathing and it's infuriating because he had never felt this way before. There was a nagging feeling that tugged at his chest, an urge to step forward and ask for a name, get to know the boy - what he likes and what absolutely irks him, make him smile and make him laugh, be the reason why he wakes up every day. He had to shake his head so the thoughts would stop.

 

It's crazy but it feels like he had fallen the moment his eyes fell onto his object of admiration.

 

"Oh my god," Kyungsoo interrupted his crazy thoughts, tugging at his arm. "Oh my god, Byun. I know that look on your face. I know it!"

 

Baekhyun's frown deepened, finally tearing his gaze away from the boy. "Soo, what are you talking about?"

 

Kyungsoo's eyes are so big Baekhyun's afraid for a second that they would pop out of their eyes sockets. His best friend is grinning, though. "I saw it on Jongdae's face the first time he saw Jongin. It's absolutely beautiful to witness this and I'm so touched and emotional and oh my god, my heart." Kyungsoo faked a melodramatic sob, clutching at his chest.

 

Still genuinely confused, Baekhyun shook Kyungsoo's shoulder. "You're freaking me out, asshat."

 

"LOVE. It's love, Byun Baek. You've fallen in love!"

 

He speaks as if he's an expert, but the funny part was that Baekhyun believed and Kyungsoo knew that because there was a smile that sits prettily on Baekhyun's lips.

 

His name is Oh Sehun, and he's Baekhyun's mortal enemy's best friend. Best friend. Baekhyun couldn't believe that he had no idea. Shouldn't best friends be seen with each other a lot? Like Kyungsoo and Jongdae and himself? Everyone in school knows how inseparable the trio are. Isn't that how best friends should be? Perhaps Baekhyun had been wrong. It was disappointing to know that Sehun, the male that had caught his eyes while he was busy reassuring Kyungsoo that he would never make acquaintance with anyone that has got anything to do with Zitao, is the closest person Zitao ever had. It's frustrating and Baekhyun almost cried.

 

He hates Zitao that much.

 

Word got around that Sehun had just gotten back from Japan so that explained why Baekhyun had never seen him around. He spent about a half an hour just gazing at Sehun, wishing that it wasn't the way it is and whining silently to himself that there is no way Sehun could ever be his. The urge is strong, and suddenly he feels like one of those cliché movies on TV, something about never being able to be together with your soulmate. He didn't realize he had occasionally pouted until he noticed Sehun staring back at him, wearing a similar pout to imitate his.

 

It was still freezing but heat spread at his cheeks like wild fire. He quickly stopped pouting, clamping his lips together as Sehun lets out a chuckle. The much taller boy had pulled on a sweater, looking rather classy with just a simple outfit. It must be the way he styled his hair, Baekhyun made a quick agreement with himself, unable to bite back the smile that curled at his lips. It must have looked like an invitation, because Sehun winked right at him.

 

Baekhyun's about to pass out because he had never been so out of breath.

 

Sehun winking at him is a sight forever engraved to his mind.

 

He tried to look steady, despite his racing heartbeat, but it didn't slow down because now Sehun is getting up from his seat, ignoring Zitao's calls, and Sehun is walking towards him. Baekhyun forgot how to breathe. He's surprised he still had the smile on when Sehun finally reached; he had taken forever to get to Baekhyun. The latter flashed the taller a beam, eye smile and all.

 

Sehun reached a hand out, voice smoother than Baekhyun had expected. "Oh Sehun. May I have the pleasure of knowing your name?"

 

He's so smooth, so formal but the small smile that played at his lips wasn't helping. It wasn't helping at all. Baekhyun had strain to keep his grin from faltering. "I'm Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun." Shucks, now what do I say?

 

Baekhyun made a mistake by letting his eyes fall onto the pink of Sehun's lips, noticing a tiny dimple right at the corner that would go easily unnoticed if one wasn't looking. But Baekhyun was definitely looking and he knew he shouldn't have because now he couldn't look away.

 

"Are you a friend of Tao's?" Sehun asked, smiling still.

 

Tricky question. Baekhyun almost lied. "Your best friend hates me, to be honest."

Sehun laughed at this, eyes crinkling into crescents. "Uninvited guests. I don't blame you. Tao only likes certain people, and he has a knack on tormenting people he doesn't like."

 

On point. Baekhyun laughed as well, "Well, you're speaking to the exact person. High school had been really hard for some of us, thanks to him." Baekhyun realized he shouldn't have said what he did when he saw Sehun's face falls; he would feel offended on behalf of Kyungsoo and Jongdae if someone was to speak ill of them. He bit at his lip, not knowing what to say next.

 

"He can be a ," Sehun broke the silence, voice as light as ever and Baekhyun breathed a sigh of relief. "I can name only three people that he actually cares about; me, Kris and himself. That's only because I gave him my lunch when we were in elementary school and he was 'starving to death'. He's dramatic, too, and I hate the fact that his birthday is when winter is around. It's freezing at this time of month. I'm not exactly a fan of the cold weather. "

 

Baekhyun blinked, lips parted as he registered every single thing that Sehun was already telling him. They have met barely five minutes ago but Baekhyun already learned that Sehun hates the cold, much like he does. Perfect. "Yeah? I'm not a fan, either. I prefer the summer, really."

 

Sehun looked impressed, "Funny because I do too. Are we meant to be or something?" He had said it in a teasing manner, of course, but it didn't stop Baekhyun from blushing even more.

 

He's only glad he's good at playing along. "Maybe we are," He smirked playfully, and Sehun returned it with a genuine grin. For a second or two, they stared into each other's eyes and knew that they really are. It's a gut feeling, an instinct, that small voice in your head that never lied.

 

Baekhyun has found the one, and so did Sehun.

 

Baekhyun forgot what lonely felt like.

He finally understood that joyous feeling Kyungsoo and Jongdae go through every Christmas Eve, spent in the warm arms of the one you love more than life. There was nothing more beautiful than walking hand in hand with someone who looks at you as if you're their very own miracle, kissed under the moonlight in the falling snow, held at night with promises of never letting go. Sehun looks at Baekhyun the way he'd seen Jongin stared after Jongdae, and the way Chanyeol gazes at Kyungsoo. Baekhyun thinks it's perfect and he never want this to change.

 

The first Christmas he spent with Sehun was forever imprinted in his head. He learnt that Sehun doesn't traditionally celebrate Christmas, although he never missed parties he was invited to. With no breathing family left, Baekhyun invited Sehun for a Christmas dinner at his place, a week after their very first date (dinner at Baekhyun's favourite diner and a stolen kiss at midnight). It was at that time that Baekhyun realised that Kyungsoo was right; he was in love.

 

And he was glad to know that Sehun was too.

 

It wasn't always rainbows and happy things when it comes to commitment. Sehun could be such a pain in the neck and sometimes he complains about how childish Baekhyun could get (which he totally denied). They meant it when they say the three words to each other and they show it witj actions - a forehead kiss for Baekhyun every morning, a soft one on the lips for Sehun when he returns from his classes. Or at night when they're in each other's arms, making love at the top of their lungs. It's pretty much perfect, to Baekhyun, and no matter how difficult it could be, he would never change anything.

 

There are times, however, when Baekhyun wants to rip out his own hair and strangle Sehun.

 

He hadn't won the big competition that was going on in his college, losing to Huang Zitao (again and again and again - why the hell are they in the same college even?) and he had sulked right through the ride home. Sehun was being difficult as well, staying silent instead of providing some encouraging words to make Baekhyun feel better. In his plummeting mood, Baekhyun hadn't bothered to make dinner for the both of them, seeking peace in the haven of their balcony.

 

Night had fallen when Sehun finally emerged from inside the apartment, smiling sheepishly at Baekhyun as if it was even allowed. It was too adorable, though, and Baekhyun had to chew at his lower lip to keep himself from smiling and falling prey to Sehun's lack of attempt to make him smile. He let Sehun take his hand though and bring him up from the chair he'd been sitting on for the last two hours, moving him in front so Sehun could backhug him as they stared off at the horizon. Baekhyun couldn't bite back the smile this time, leaning back against Sehun and placing his on Sehun's that was wrapped around him. He sighed, letting Sehun kiss his temple.

 

"I lost to Zitao again." He broke the silence, earning himself another kiss.

 

Sehun only hummed, leaning even further down to place a kiss on Baekhyun's neck. "It's alright."

 

Whining a little, Baekhyun fluttered his eyes close for a second, opening his eyes to turn back a little and peer up at Sehun. "Now everyone's going to think I'm a loser."

 

It's soothing the way Sehun rubbed circles on the skin of his torso that peeked from underneath his shirt. Everything Sehun is soothing, after all. The taller boy tightened his arms around Baekhyun. "Does it matter what other people think?"

Baekhyun frowned, shaking his head."Not really, no."

 

"Does it matter what I think?"

 

"Definitely. "

 

Sehun smiled at this and Baekhyun could feel it more than he could see it. "Well, I think you're lame and noisy." Baekhyun gasped, offended at the words but before he could say anything, Sehun was laughing. "But you're mine so nothing else matters."

 

He groaned, turning around in Sehun's arms to playfully hit his chest. "You cheesy . I guess you're right. If I can't win this time, there's always a next time, right?"

 

With a nod, Sehun's grin widened as he leaned to peck Baekhyun's lips. "Oh, but you've already won a long time ago, baby."

 

Sehun is constantly making Baekhyun confused, but he was also always there to make things clear and maybe that's one of the many reasons why Baekhyun stayed in love with Sehun. His frown had disappeared although he was still slightly confused, looking at Sehun for an explanation. Sehun pecked his nose, "You've won my heart the moment we met."

 

Pink colored Baekhyun's cheeks as quick as it had the moment he realized that Sehun noticed his not so discreet staring. He circled his arms around Sehun's neck, getting on his tiptoes to place an open-mouthed kiss on Sehun's lips. Christmas is in a week, and it's getting really, really cold, but there is only warmth that spread at Baekhyun's chest. He's oh so in love, even though it had been a couple of years now, and when people asked, now he could say that he fell in love at first sight.

 

"Do you still hate winter?" Sehun spoke after they broke the kiss, his breath visible in the cold air.

 

Baekhyun grinned, kissing his boyfriend's jawline. "Not when you're here with me. It's freezing, but you've kept me warm all this time."

 

"I could say the same," Sehun's grin was even more precious as he nuzzled their noses together.

 

The shorter male laughed, kissing Sehun again. And again and again. "I still hate Zitao, though."

 

Sehun's laugh, when it cracked through the December night and showered Baekhyun, sounded much like the bells of Christmas, soft as snow. Baekhyun has a feeling he will stay in love for a very, very long time.

 

Because now he doesn't know how to let go if he had to.

 

As if Sehun could read his mind, the taller whispered into his ear, "Don't ever let go, because I love you so much and I'm always going to hold on to you."

 

Baekhyun had only grinned wider, kissed Sehun deeper. "I can't even if I had to. I love you so much too, Sehun. Always."

 

Sehun's smile, like his laugh, only pulled Baekhyun deeper under water.

 

But he's breathing just fine.