I'm Baaaaack

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Kris and I must’ve been getting used to dashing down the stairs to prevent a catastrophe; we were both on the front porch before we realized we were in only our underwear. I paused, considering whether it was worth the time to put on actual pants, but I remembered the streak of red on Ryu’s cheek.

    “Just one night…just one night with no one threatening our friends’ lives…I ask for so little,” Kris muttered as he stalked past me. His bare feet slapped against the walkway, and I trailed after him with a small smile despite the situation.

    When we reached the driveway, I lifted my brows. Sure, Yoichi looked slightly put out, his lower lip sticking out and a scowl on his forehead, and Rouslan had a hand on the hilt of his sword, but they weren’t even talking to each other. My eyes snapped towards the puddle of red that spread over the driveway, and I realized the black fabric of Rouslan’s shirt was soaked through.

    “Are you hurt?” I exclaimed. Rouslan frowned, confused, and followed my gaze down to his shirt.

    “Mr. Coordinated over there dumped a snow cone on me,” Rouslan grumbled.

    “I already apologized for that!” Yoichi growled. He tossed his hands up, rolling his eyes, and crossed his arms over his chest. 

    “So…you’re not going to kill each other?” Kris finally asked.

    Rouslan raised one brow. “Well, that would be a tad overdramatic, no?”

    “Why are you in your underwear?” Yoichi broke in.     

    “Masamoto Ryu!” Kris thundered. Ryu and Snake blushed, offering helpless shrugs. 

    “We…we may have overreacted.”

    I pinched the bridge of my nose and heaved a sigh. “Where is Iris?”

    “I put her in her crib,” Snake said. 

    “Rouslan, come in and borrow one of our shirts.” Kris didn’t wait for the hunter’s reply; he spun on his heel and started marching back towards the open front door. Goosebumps shivered up over his back, and I wrapped a warm arm around his waist. 

    His arm came down across my shoulders and he gave me a small squeeze, a smile lifting one half of his expressive mouth. We leaned into each other on our way up the stairs.

    “I’ll be honest…I miss not having anyone else around,” Kris admitted. “It was much easier to just have a relaxing night in. We didn’t have to worry about babies and death matches and heartsick vampires…”

    “Come on, would you really give it all up?” I asked. “The love that we found with all of them?”

    “Well, of course not!” Kris said passionately. “You have all become such an important part of my life.” 

    “There you go.” I dropped a kiss on his cheek. “You get Iris, I’ll make dinner.”

    I passed Yoichi’s room and found a strange sight: Rouslan standing in the doorway, shirtless and slightly uncomfortable.

    “I’m really fine with the shirt I have,” Rouslan was protesting. 

    “Nonsense, it’s all wet. I’m the one who spilled your snow cone,” Yoichi called. I walked closer and Rouslan startled when he noticed me waiting beside him.

    Yoichi dug through the drawers of the dresser, tossing aside various glittery and bejeweled pieces of fabric. Rouslan looked more and more faintly terrified with each option Yoichi tossed aside, and I patted his shoulder reassuringly. 

    “Just how crazy is he?” Rouslan murmured.

    “I heard that.” Yoichi finally turned, a soft blue t-shirt clenched in one fist. “Here.” Yoichi’s heavy-lidded eyes dragged down Rouslan’s lean torso, catching on the various scars that marked the hunter’s skin. I wondered for the first time if the accidental spilling of the snow cone was not so accidental.

    “Thanks.” Rouslan tugged the shirt down over his head, and Yoichi shot me a self-satisfied look while the hunter was preoccupied. I rolled my eyes. Of course. 

    “Rouslan, why don’t you help yourself to something to drink. I have to talk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter