Wings

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    I scrunched my nose and frowned, shaking off Kris when he shook my shoulders. He kept shaking me until I opened my eyes reluctantly, jumping when his face was centimeters from mine. He backed off a little but shook my shoulders again, making me groan and close my eyes. 
    "What?" I grumbled, rolling over to the other side. Kris rolled me back over and fidgeted, playing with his hands. 
    "I'm hungry." Kris whined, poking my mark gently. I groaned and he slid his hands under my side and knees, turning me so I was cradled against his chest.
    "Kris, put me down. I'm sleepy." I pouted, curling my fingers in the material of his shirt and nuzzling his chest. 
    "But I'm hungry." Kris pouted back, carrying me to the kitchen and setting me down gently on the counter. "Make me breakfast?"
    "I think we only have eggs." I mumbled, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. Kris nodded, setting cross-legged next to the stove and giving me an expectant look. 
    "Thank you." Kris smiled. I chuckled, sliding off the counter and opening the refrigerator. Kris watched me with wide puppy eyes and I smiled, leaning in to gently bite the tip of his nose. 
    "Anything for you, baby." I mumbled, turning to crack eggs and whisk them, pouring them smoothly into a pan while Kris grinned and fidgeted.
    When the eggs had cooked, I set the pan down and turned to grab plates. By the time I turned back around, Kris had grabbed a fork and eaten most of the eggs in the pan. He froze with the fork halfway to his mouth, his eyes widening when he met mine. 
    "Kris!" I scolded, reaching out to snatch the pan back and set it on the counter next to me. Kris gave me a sheepish grin and I grabbed another fork, eating straight from the pan. 
    "What?!" Kris cried, bumping me to the side gently with his hip and taking a big bite. I giggled and bumped him back, both of us scrambling for the pan. 
    "Move!" I cried, pushing him out of the way and shoving my fork into the pan. Kris reached out with his fork, trapping mine under his and using his hand to grab a fistful of food. 
    "Kris, that's gross!" I cried. Kris laughed and reached out, smearing the eggs across my cheek. I shrieked and pulled a face, wiping my cheek and glaring at him. "You did not just do that."
    "Whoa, Taozi, easy!" Kris cried, holding his hands up when I growled at him and scooped both hands full of eggs. 
    "You've got three seconds to run." I hissed, taking a threatening step towards Kris. He giggled nervously and backed up, holding his hands out appeasingly. 
    "Oh, come on, Peach—"
    "One!" I said, a mischievous smile curling my lips. Kris laughed and waited another second before turning and running upstairs as quickly as he could. I laughed and charged after him, thumping my way up the stairs and finding Kris in the bathroom. 
    "Peach, don't!" Kris laughed, backing up against the counter. I took three deliberate steps forward and tilted my head to the side, holding my hand poised to smear eggs across his cheek. 
    "Why shouldn't I?" I teased, smiling when I saw Kris desperately trying to think of a reason. 
    "Because you love me?" Kris tried finally. I nodded, pretending to think carefully before looking back at him. 
    "I do love you. But I feel like you would look so much better with eggs on your face." I smirked. Kris smirked back at me before knocking my hand so I hit my own face instead, making me yelp and shriek again. 
    "But they look so much better on you!" Kris laughed, yanking his shirt off and reaching out to start the shower quickly. I grumbled and wiped my face, just in time to see Kris hop into the steamy shower and close the door behind him. 
    "You're so mean!" I cried, pulling my own pajamas off and walking inside with him. Kris gave me a sympathetic look, turning me so I stood under the shower head. 
    "I know. I'm sorry." Kris smiled, not looking sorry at all and washing my face off. I finally smiled back at him, finishing the shower and getting out with the towel looped around my waist. 
    "What do you want to do today?" I asked, rubbing my hair dry and watching Kris brush his teeth. 
    "I'm going to go to that gym we saw at the lodge the other day. Do you want to come?" Kris asked, using his fingers to comb his hair back roughly. 
    "Sure, I'll check it out." I said, grabbing athletic shorts and a tank top, layering a heavy jacket over it. 
    "Good. I've got way too much energy to burn today." Kris smiled, dressing similarly and walking with me downstairs. 
    "Your wings?" I asked, remembering the way he fidgeted earlier. Kris nodded, lacing up his shoes and locking the door behind us. 
    "Yup. We should go to the store and get more food later, it's supposed to snow a lot more tonight." Kris said, jogging with me through the thin layer of snow on the ground. 
    "Okay." I mumbled, my teeth chattering as the cold air hit my legs. Kris linked his hand with mine, pulling me to the lodge faster and swinging through the doors happily.     
    "I'll race you!" Kris smiled, his eyes twinkling brightly as he thundered loudly up the wooden staircase. I laughed and followed him, moving much slower despite myself. 
    I reached the glass doorway to the gym, walking through and sighing at the wave of warmth that rolled towards me. I shucked off my jacket and hung it on a hook on the wall, looking around for Kris. 
    I found him on one of the treadmills, his legs an invisible blur as he pushed the machine as fast as it could go. My mouth dropped open as I watched him, looking at his relaxed face and even breaths even as the machine started smoking. 
    "Kris, the thing is smoking." I pointed out, glad we were alone in the room. Kris turned to look down and nearly fell, catching himself on the railing. 
    "Where?" Kris asked, dialing the machine up one level and beginning to pant. I inspected the front of the machine and pointed again, more smoke beginning to spiral up. 
    "It's not supposed to do that." I said, brushing my bangs out of my face as I straightened up. 
    "I'm sure it's fine." Kris panted, a thin sheen of sweat coating his skin. I frowned, shaking my head worriedly as the machine started beeping. 
    "Kris? It's really not supposed to do that!" I exclaimed. Kris turned to look back at me and tripped, flying back off the belt and into me. 
    The breath shot out of my chest and I flew back, landing on the floor with Kris on top of me. I groaned on impact and coughed, trying to more air back into my lungs without being crushed by Kris on top of me. His eyes opened after a few seconds and he looked down at me apologetically, spreading his arms next to my head to take pressure off my chest.
    "Sorry, Peach." Kris said sheepishly, still out of breath and looking down at me. His chest pressed into mine and I could feel the lean muscles of his stomach convulsing when he breathed out. 
    "You've got to stop knocking me over." I sighed, reaching up to rest my hands in the dip of his lower back. 
    "I really do." Kris smirked, shivering softly when I slipped my fingers under the hem of his tank top, running my fingers over the dimples at the bottom of his spine. 
    "Kris? You're crushing me a little." I admitted. Kris immediately moved to get up, my hands forced deeper under his shirt while he did it. The feeling of raised, hard skin slipping under my fingers made me frown, and I let Kris pull me up. 
    "Are you okay?" Kris asked. I nodded, walking behind him and pulling the back of his shirt up. I gasped when I looked at the skin of his back, reaching out to trail my fingers down his spine. 
    The outline of his wings was clear now, stretching from his shoulder blades to spread down to the line of his waist. The wings flexed under his skin every few seconds, shifting and settling and stretching. I rested my fingers against his spine, the wings rustling closer to my finger until I moved to touch one gently. The wing thrummed under my finger, unbelievably warm against my skin. 
    "They're coming along, aren't they?" Kris murmured, reaching his hand back to grasp mine. He turned, pulling his shirt down with his free hand and nestling my hand against his chest. 
    "It doesn't hurt, right?" I verified. Kris nodded and chuckled, bringing my hand to his lips and laying a gentle kiss on my knuckles. He hummed softly, his breath warming my fingers, and looked up at me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter