The Unexpected Call

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 63

The Unexpected Call

 

“Ki Joon, hurry up.” You called out from the stairs in the hallway.

“I’m coming down.” He chimed from his room.

You strode off to the kitchen and put his lunch box into his backpack. Ki Joon was going on an outing with his kindergarten class today.

Currently, Ki Joon was in his room, trying out his blue uniform for his excursion day, and he was thrilled for it as he had spoken about it all day yesterday.

Yongguk was still in the shower. He always takes his time in the shower, in the mornings. You finished packing up Ki Joon backpack.

You had made sure to check everything throughout. He had a water bottle, juice bottle, lunchbox with food and fruits in his back, and extra clothes in case they would be playing with water.  

As soon as you had finished packing up his things, you heard his feet stomping off from the stairways. His steps could be heard as he was rushing to the kitchen.

The moment he entered the room, he stopped to stare at you with his big eyes that shone brightly causing a smile to form on your face.

He was dressed in his blue uniform with his name tag at the front. His eyes seemed to beam so much. He was so proud in that uniform. You grinned at his reaction.

“How do I look?” He chimed and made a little turn.

“You look cool.” You squealed and rushed towards him. He clapped his hands happily upon receiving your compliment.

Quickly, you reached to him, lifted him in your arms, hugged him tightly into you, and he giggled sweetly into your ear. His sweet little laugh made your heart melt and you squeezed him tighter. He laughed even more.

When you put him back down, you heard those familiar footsteps and looked out. Yongguk stood in front of you, dressed in a white bathrobe.

His wet silky black hair was pushed back, soaked, and dripping down his face. You blinked your eyes, but lowered them quickly, and you felt a heat surge to your cheeks.

“Are you setting him off today?” He asked in that deep tone.

“Y-yeah.” You said.

“Perfect. I got a meeting, so I have to rush and get ready.” He told.

“Alright.” You chimed without looking at him.

He strode off to the kitchen and began to make himself a sandwich. You stood still. Your eyes somehow traveled to his direction, watching his back view as he was cutting the salad for his sandwich.   

The little boy tugged at your shirt, trying to avert your attention from Yongguk and onto him. You quickly looked away before Yongguk would catch you ogling at him.

Thankfully, you were pulled out of our little reverie by the help of Ki Joon. Your eyes drifted down to him and you flashed him a big smile.

“Can we go now?” He asked.

You looked into his eyes and saw the eagerness and anticipation. You nodded. He just couldn’t wait to get to kindergarten today. He was more excited than any other day today.

It was his first outing in a while, and he was happy because Bora’s class would also join the trip, so he could hang out with her.

Ki Joon squealed, spun around, and rushed out of the kitchen, getting to your car. You shook your head at his antics.

In that moment, Tigger came rushing and it ran past you. You turned to look and saw the dog jump onto Yongguk’s leg, but Yongguk was amid making his breakfast. He had cut out the vegetables and was putting his sandwich together.

Tigger barked, tugged onto Yongguk’s bathrobe with his teeth. You stiffened, when some of his leg was revealed. You only saw his toned calves. You looked away.

“Uhh, Tigger, are you hungry?” He asked in a silky deep tone.

Tigger barked.

“I will feed you in a bit.” He said.

But Tigger barked louder.

“Calm down.” Yongguk laughed.

You stood still, somehow unable to move. Your eyes were stuck on him. He spoke in such a sweet tone to his dog. He showed Tigger so much affection.

Even his deep voice turned high-pitched. It was so alien to you that you were stunned, whenever he acted that way around Tigger.

The dog kept barking energetically and jumping onto Yongguk’s legs from behind, wanting his attention. Yongguk let out a deep- heartfelt laughter.

“Arh, Tigger, stop it. Don’t chew on my bathrobe. I hear you.” He said with laughter.

Then he stopped moving his hands. He seemed to be done with making his sandwich. He turned around, squatted in front of Tigger. He its back with a warm smile on his face.

Not having noticed your presence yet, he reached his arms out to the brown poodle, and the dog jumped onto his chest. Yongguk laughed harder.

The water from his wet hair trickled down his forehead. His bangs were wet and messy. The bathrobe was slightly apart at the front, revealing some of his chest, that warm complexion and his tattoo. You gulped hard, ogling at him.

But his dark eyes seemed to beam. He laughed so much as Tigger played with him, jumped on him, and he ruffled the dog’s fluffy fur, making it bark in joy.

Something within you began to jump, pound hard, clench, squeeze, turn and twist. You breathed deeply.

“Ahh wuuyuyuyuu.” He snuggled the dog into him as he let out some alien words that stunned you further.

You dropped your jaw, when he turned around and his eyes fell upon you. He froze. His facial muscles tensed. His smile vanished in the blink of an eye.

Suddenly, his eyes seemed so dark as coal, when he looked at you. You blinked your eyes. Quickly gathered yourself, but you felt your cheeks heat and flush up.

“You are still here?” He asked nonchalantly.

“Uh ehmm.. See you later.” You breathed out.

Your eyes fell onto the counter where your keys were. Hurriedly, you grabbed your car key from the kitchen island. You spun around and rushed out of the room. You had to get out and get some fresh air.

“Oh my god, how can he be so adorable with Tigger?”

You gasped aloud and covered your mouth, when you stepped out to the yard, wondering about how Yongguk could be that cute with Tigger, and yet look so hot. You shook your head.

Is he usually that cute? And what kind of noises did he make, like he was talking in baby language with Tigger. You shook your head and laughed to yourself.

“What’s funny?” Ki Joon asked as he looked up at you with a clueless look. He caught you laughing. You stopped in front of him and giggled.

“Your dad.” You laughed, reached your hand down and ruffled his hair.

Ki Joon smiled at your respond as if he understood you. “Have you seen how he talks to Tigger?” You asked, and he nodded.

“He is so cute, when he does that baby-voice.” You said, and stiffened at your own words, but Ki Joon looked at you with a huge smile, and his big eyes beamed at your words.

If you weren’t mistaken, it clearly looked like he was happy to hear you compliment and talk this sweetly of Yongguk, his dad.

He nodded feverishly, seeming to agree with your words, and you smiled in return. You helped Ki Joon get into the car and fastened his seatbelt.

“He is so cute.” You went on.

Sighed hopelessly, when you closed the door for Ki Joon, headed to the driver’s seat and stopped up.

For a while, you let out incoherent words and sounds, not making any sense at all. Then you gave up, leaned onto the car, hid your face into your arms, and groaned aloud.

“I like him too much now. Arg!”

Suddenly the window rolled down to the backseats, and Ki Joon stuck his head out of the window with a clearly concerned look on his face. His brows were furrowed, and he stared at you intently out of concern.

“What’s wrong?” He asked in a sweet little soft tone.

Your heart melted at the spot, seeing him genuinely worried and curious regarding your odd sudden antics.

“Nothing, baby.” You sighed.

He blinked his eyes. He genuinely looked so clueless. It seemed like he wanted to help you with that deer-like innocent stare that made your heart tighten. You smiled.

“I think daddy is really cute.” You said, and he nodded quickly.

He hugged onto his stuffed Tigger.  His round apple cheeks turned red, making you want to squeal, but you held it in.

You tipped your head back and looked up at the clear blue skies. Further away, the clouds had turned grey. You pursed your lips.

You pulled back and walked around the car. You got into the driver’s seat and stared off. For the millionth time, you sighed.

“What now?” He asked, worried for the second time.

“Your dad is too sweet.” You said.

“Yes, he really is, and he is so cool too.” Ki Joon gushed. You nodded, completely agreeing. Ki Joon let out a little giggle.

“Yes, isn’t he? He is also very handsome, right?” You asked as you grabbed onto the steering wheel, and Ki Joon nodded.

“Yes, and he is also very kind. He buys me a lot of sweets. And he tucks me to bed, and he sings to me sometimes, and he is the best.” Ki Joon said.

“Yes, daddy is kind too. He is really the best out there. Does he sing to you?” You sighed deeply, leaned against your seat, stared out.

“Yes, sometimes.” Ki Joon smiled.

“I wonder how his voice sounds, when he sings.” You said aloud.

What am I doing? I’m telling things to Ki Joon, I’ve not told anyone.

You shook your head and laughed at yourself. Then you looked out at the clouds that were becoming gray.

“I think it will rain later, honey.” You said.

“Will it rain today?” Ki Joon asked, sounding upset.

You looked at him through the rear-view mirror. You didn’t want his trip to get cancelled because of bad weather.

It seemed like he was thinking the same, as his lips curved down. He already looked upset. You cleared your throat.

“The weather forecast didn’t mention about rain.” You assured in a calm tone. He looked at you and nodded.

“Then it won’t rain.” He said to himself with a little smile, seeming calm, and you smiled brightly.

“I did pack your raincoat, in case it does rain, put it on, and your rainboots are in your kindergarten.” You mentioned, and he sighed with a pout.

“I don’t want rain today.” He huffed out.

“Me neither sweetheart, but we are stepping into autumn season, so it will rain a lot.” You said, and he sighed once again.

Even when he was frustrated, he looked adorable. He snuggled onto his stuffed Tigger and stared out the window with a look of dismay.

“Maybe if we sing a little song to the skies, the angels will hear us and make the sun shine.” You suggested with a smile.

Instantly, his eyes lit up at your idea, and he nodded. He began to hum to the tune right away and you hummed along.

“Are you ready on the count of three?” You asked, and he nodded.

“1.2.3” You counted together and began to sing.

“Mr. Sun, Sun, mister golden sun. Please shine down on me. Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, mister golden sun. Hiding behind a tree. Little children are asking you. Please come out so we can play with you. Oh, Mr. Sun Sun, Mister Golden Sun. Please shine down on me. Oh, Mr. Sun Sun, Mister Golden Sun.”

The both of you stopped. You looked at the boy through the rear-view mirror. You laughed aloud together.

“I think the sun is coming out now. Look up.” You said.

Ki Joon looked out the window. He cooed, when he saw the sun beginning to peek out through a big cloud in the skies.

“The sun is really shining. Maybe I should sing again.” He said, and you nodded.

“Great idea.” You smiled.

Just as you were about to step onto the speeder to drive off, you heard a knock on your side of the window. You tipped your head to the side and looked out.

You froze, when you saw Yongguk standing outside your car, staring into your window and at you. You furrowed your brows, and quickly rolled your window down.

“Yongguk, what are you doing outside? It’s cold. You are only wearing a bathrobe. You’ll get sick.” You said firmly.

“You forgot your purse.” He interrupted and reached his hand in, giving you your purse. You stiffened for a second.

“Oh my God, I didn’t notice that. Thank you.” You said as you grabbed your black purse and placed it on the passenger seat.

“Yeah, no problem.” He said in a low tone.

Yongguk looked away from you and onto the backseat at Ki Joon. He stiffened, but the corner of his lip curved up, when he heard Ki Joon singing.

“He’s singing so the sun will shine again.” You told.

His bare skin was revealed. It caught your attention and you blinked your eyes, quickly looked away from his exposed skin and tattoo.

He leaned in close, so close that the scent of his aftershave entered your car. Somehow, you gripped onto the steering wheel.

He was looking at Ki Joon with a warm smile, the same kind of sweet smile that he gave Tigger earlier.

Get it together, don’t look down, don’t look at his chest. Your eyes wavered. You tightened your grip on the steering wheel even more.

“Did you suggest singing? I heard the two of you singing so loudly.” He asked as his eyes returned to you.

His face was a few inches away from you and your eyes locked. You gulped hard but nodded quietly. A smile formed on his face. You stiffened at that little unexpected smile.

“How did you know that?” You asked.

He shrugged, stepped back, and your eyes widened, but he just walked back to the house without another word.

“Ki Joon, we are leaving now.” You said.

“Okay.” He cooed and continued to sing.

“Mr. Sun sun, golden sun…”

You looked at the rearview mirror and saw Yongguk walking to the front door. Tigger was waiting for him at the door, jumping on its feet. 

You pursed your lips, smiling, when you saw him carry the dog in his arms, and it snuggled into him. You waited till you saw him walk into the house and close the door. Then you drove off.

~❋~

The office couple were awfully a lot clingy today, because it was apparently Mina and Hansol’s third month anniversary, so they were excited to celebrate it later. And they couldn’t contain themselves today.

But they clung onto each other like how koalas hang onto tree branches, or like slots. It was sweet, though, for now.

You cleared your throat, when Mina giggled aloud, because Hansol grabbed onto the armrest of her chair and pulled her to his side. They were being a bit naughty.

The two shared a long and deep gaze. They were just so in love. But then they laughed. Their love just overflowed the office.

You cleared your throat once more. Their heads shot in your direction, and they stiffened, when they saw your deadpanned look.

Finally, they quieted down, when you gave them a discreet warning and a firm look. Hansol mouthed a ‘sorry’. You gave him a nod, and he turned around to face his desk again.

Afterwards, they stayed quiet, and the office became almost still. You sighed of relief at the nice silence that now filled the place and continued to plan your next class.

It was past twelve pm and lunch time. You left your class to head upstairs to the office, when on your way, Jangmi appeared, and leaped her arm around your shoulder, she drew you close to her.

She was quite tall, so the side of your face was pressed against her, making you laugh, and she simply giggled.

“How was your class? I can see you got paint on your fingers, did you have a painting session with the kids today?” She asked, and you nodded.

“Yeah, I’ve begun the next session, which will be about nature.” You told, and she cooed.

“So, will you be painting oceans and landscapes with the kids?” She asked.

“Yes, and I’ve been thinking about taking some of the sessions outside.” You said with a smile, when Jangmi’s eyes widened.

“Great idea.” She said, and you smiled widely. The two of you headed up stairs and spoke about your plans for the evening.

“I’m picking up Ki Joon today, because Yongguk’s got a meeting in the evening.” You said in a small voice.

“Aha, then you and Ki Joon are alone?” She said, and you nodded with your eyes lowered to the ground.

“Why do you sound so sad about that?” She asked.

Your steps came to a halt just when you made it to the floor and your eyes drifted up to her. She gazed at you with a grin smeared on her face. Her brows lifted suggestively, and you shook your head, laughing at her absurd look.

“No.no. no.” You said firmly and stormed past her, but she rushed up to you and grabbed onto your arm.

“You don’t want him to come home late, right?” She wiggled her brows.

You ignored her and went straight for the office. Your stomach roared and you felt so hungry. You had been so busy this morning, preparing for Ki Joon’s lunch that you hadn’t eaten anything.

“Sera, tell me.” She said eagerly.

You stopped, spun around, and faced her.

“He’s got work, which I understand.” You said as you looked at her.

“Are you getting mad at me?” She lifted a finger and pointed at herself with a shocked look.

“No, no, not at all.” You blurted out.

You hated conflicts, hated getting into uncomfortable situations with anyone. It was never a nice feeling.

Jangmi looked the other way, looking somewhat disappointed, and you were taken back upon seeing her sudden change of mood. You hadn’t spoken in a harsh or annoyed tone at her.

“Jangmi?” You said softly, but she looked the other way.

You reached your arm out and grabbed onto her.

“Don’t you consider me as your friend? Is that why you don’t share anything deep about yourself to me?” Her voice wavered.

You felt your chest tighten, and your heart clenched inside your ribcage, when curved down and her lips quivered.

You hadn’t heard her voice sound so small before nor seen her look sad. She always looked so bright and outgoing.

Momentarily, you felt stiff and didn’t know what to do of yourself. You parted your lips and let out a sound at the back of your throat but closed your mouth afterwards.

“Jangmi.” You began and paused. She didn’t avert her eyes. “I believe and know that you are a good and close friend of mine, and not just a work colleague. I do want to share more things about myself, just like how you share pretty much everything about yourself to me.” You said, but she didn’t budge. Her eyes blinked.

“This morning, uh-hmm.. Yongguk looked eh.” You stiffened as your eyes wandered around the room.

Your face slowly began to heat up, when you remembered Yongguk dressed in a bathrobe and his wet hair that was pushed back.

“What-what? Did he look hot, y, handsome? What?” Her eyes widened.

“Is that what you wanted to know?” You gasped.

“Uhm-no.” She fixed her posture.

“You are silly. I don’t only care about his good looks.” You rolled your eyes and began to move your feet, but she followed along, behind your heels.

“You were about to say something.” She said eagerly, batting her lashes. She grabbed onto your arm, making you stop in front of the door to your office.

You stared out at the blank white wooden door for a second too long as though you could walk through it and enter the other room.   

“I can’t explain it with words, what I feel for him, because he is so unlike anyone else, so otherworldly.”

“Otherworldly, huh? That’s a big compliment.” Jangmi said coyly.

You pulled the door handle down and entered the office, before Jangmi could say something that may expose you in the presence of the others.  

Jangmi side eyed you, when you walked over to your desk, but you didn’t react to her continuous curious looks. But soon enough, she stopped as she had to get to work.

After work hours, you headed out to do some grocery shopping. It was Monday and you had to shop for the week, and you needed a lot of vegetables and fruits.

Hence, you drove off to the market. You could shop a bit before picking up Ki Joon from kindergarten. You wondered about how he was doing on his trip.

On your way to the market, it began to pour down. You quickly the window shield wipers.

Cursed aloud, because Ki Joon would be out in this weather. Though, you had packed his raincoat, he was prepared for this weather, but the both of you had hoped for a sunny weather today.

Nevertheless, he had been so ecstatic this morning. This bad weather wouldn’t ruin his trip. He would probably have a lot to say when he gets home. Lately he had been chatting a lot more. 

There were a lot of people in the market. You filled up your basket with lots of sweet and fresh fruits. You got the ones that Ki Joon loves, bananas, watermelon and strawberries were his favorite fruits.

Although you knew that Ki Joon wouldn’t need more coco pops, you still got a package for him. You could just picture the excitement on his face, when he sees the coco pops.

He loved eating cereal in the morning, and you had to be careful with his diet. So, you got a varies of healthy yoghurts that he would like.

You strode down the isle of the store, when you felt your phone buzz in your bag, and you stopped to take your phone out.

You rummaged through your bag and your phone kept on vibrating. You found it and stared at the screen.

‘Ki Joon’s kindergarten’ 

Why are they calling me?

Instantly, your heart began to thud hard against your chest as you picked up the call, thinking to yourself that it probably is nothing.

But they had never called you before, so something must have happened. You took in a deep breath, preparing yourself.

Maybe he hit his toe, or maybe he was having a really had day, and missing you. But that hasn’t happened before, so it couldn’t be that. You frowned with the phone to your ear.

“Hello.” You said softly.

“Is this Kwon Sera, the mother of Park Ki Joon?” A female voice asked.

“Y-yes this is she.” You replied as you pressed the phone closer to your ear.

“Hello, Sera. It’s me, Ki Joon’s teacher, Choi Soo Jin.” She introduced in a rather shake voice.

Abruptly, you stopped up and clutched onto your phone tightly. You noticed how her voice wavered. You stiffened, holding onto the basket with your items.

“What’s wrong with Ki Joon.” You asked.

“Y-you have to c-come now.” Her voice began to tremble.

You clutched to your phone to your ear with trembling hands. Your brows furrowed in confusion. Heart picked up pace of fear.

“Why-w-what happened?” You stuttered.

“I’m at the ER with Ki Joon, he’s had an accident.” Teacher Soo Jin’s voice broke at the latter part. “I’m here with him, and I’ve called his dad, Yongguk, and he’s on his way.” She said.

“What- what is happening? What kind of accident, where is he, which hospital is he at?” You looked around you panicked.

People were passing by you, like everything was normal as your legs began to tremble, your hands shook more.

“I-I’ll explain once you get here.” She said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter