Bold Move

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 56

Bold Move

 

The second day of the summer-end children’s festival had begun. Today, yet again, the little boy was just as hyped as he was yesterday, when you had dropped him off at the park.

“Yongguk is picking you up today, again? Are the two of you getting any far?” Jangmi asked as she wiggled her brows with a coy smile, and you rushed out of the office.

“Not now, Jangmi!” You exclaimed as you ran away from her.

“We will have to talk at some point!” She yelled back.

Once your work had finished, Yongguk came to pick you up from your workplace. He leaned against his car, waiting for you as you walked down the stairs and headed towards him.

You got a sudden déjà vu of yesterday, when he had come to pick you up so you could go to Ki Joon together.

He stood in the same pose, exuding charisma, and handsomeness, but today he wore a blue blouse that was buttoned down and denim jeans.

Dressed in blue from head to toe, that color did him justice. But he could look good in a sack too, indeed.

“Hi you.” He said in his deep tone as his eyes bored in yours.

“Hi there.” You smiled, and he opened the door for you.

The pair of you drove off to the park. When you made it to the place, you opened your door and stepped out, greeting the sun rays and cool breeze. You sighed softly.

“Let’s go.” He broke out from beside you and you almost jumped, when you saw him next to you.

Just like yesterday, he grabbed your arm and walked along the sidewalk, keeping you on the safe side as you crossed the pedestrian to the park.

When you made it to the park, you had expected him to let go of your arm, but he didn’t, he kept on holding onto you securely. ‘Watch out, kwon.’ He would say.

You wondered why, but a lot of people passed by you and you nearly bumped into someone, but Yongguk was so quick. He pulled you away and made you dodge away from the men that walked past you.

As you reached the blue tent, the kids came in sight and Ki Joon was running around playing catch with some of his friends, and you could even hear his laughter from afar.

Unknowingly, you let out a little giggle, but when you felt his eyes on you, you stopped laughing and pulled off a serious look.

“Ki Joon?” You called out, when you made it to his tent.

“You are here!” He chimed and rushed towards the pair of you.

You lowered, opened your arms wide, prepared yourself. He jumped into your embrace within a second and with such a strong force that made you stagger back.

But someone suddenly stopped behind you. You held onto Ki Joon securely, if you were to fall, he’d fall on top of you and not get hurt.

However, Yongguk reacted fast, his hands reached out with quick reflexes, he gripped your arms firmly keeping you steady, and on your feet, you gasped.

You looked up, your eyes locked for a moment before you got distracted by the kid, who planted a soft smooch on your cheek, surprising you with his warm greeting.

“Can we play?” Ki Joon asked not aware of the fact that you nearly stumbled.

“Kwon.”

Yongguk breathed harshly into your ear, you knew he warned you, but his hot breath tickled down your ear to your neck, and you tensed up. His arms still held you firmly.

You realized that your back was pressed against his solid chest that was incredibly firm and so warm.

“Ki Joon, you have to be careful.” Yongguk warned, his voice was deep and yet sugary sweet, and the kid nodded.

“Sorry.” He chimed.

“It’s okay.” You cooed.

Suddenly, the sound of a phone ringing made you look around confusedly. You put Ki Joon down and searched through your bag.

“It’s my phone.” Yongguk broke out.

You froze with your hand in your bag, you stopped searching for your phone, spun around, and looked at him. He had his phone in his hand and it was still ringing. He stared at the screen.

“It’s my sister. I’ll be back.” He said and strode off after picking up his call.

You stared at his back image till he disappeared out of your sight. Then Ki Joon tugged at your dress, making you avert your attention to him.

“Can we go to my friends, I want to play a game with them.” He asked, and you nodded.

The two of you headed to the tent which was right in front of you. You entered the tent and looked around you.

There were tables, chairs, carpets on the grass where the kids could sit and play, and toys placed around.

“Welcome.” Teacher Choi smiled and you greeted her.

“Ki Joon, let’s play outside.” A bright-sweet voice broke out.

You looked towards the voice. A little beaming girl in a pink flowery dress rushed towards Ki Joon. It was sweet little Bora.

Her almond round eyes shone with hearts and her cheeks flushed, reddish, when Ki Joon ran up to her with his little arms spread, and the two hugged each other.

You pursed your lips, giggling at this cute sight of the two little innocent love birds. You let out a sigh, when they ran out of the tent. You followed them out to the open and green field.

Soon, you realized what kind of game they had in mind. They wanted to play- ‘The kissing and chasing’ game.

Ki Joon ran fast, and poor little Bora couldn’t keep up with him, and it reminded you of someone special.

“Ki Joon, you are too fast!” Bora whined and made a pout.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Ki Joon burst out.

“How will I kiss you if you run so fast?” She sighed deeply, stopped, and folded her arms over her front, sulking at him.

Their actions were too adorable, you held in your squeals, kept back your comments, and watched them silently, not wanting to disturb them.  

Ki Joon stopped amid the game, his big eyes turned big like saucers, when he saw Bora’s sulky look. He stood frozen with a hard look. Just like his daddy, he seemed lost at this unexpected situation.

“What’s going on?” A deep voice broke out from behind you, causing you to jump and nearly scream.

“Don’t sneak up on me.” You hissed at him as he stepped beside you with a bashful smile on his face.

“Didn’t know I would startle you.” He said and turned his gaze to the two love birds.

Ki Joon walked up to Bora, and he suddenly hugged her. Yongguk scooted closer to you, his arm brushed your side as he got closer and you felt an electricity shoot through you.

It was getting absurd day by day. This feeling of constipation in your heart. You breathed in deeply as your heart picked up pace.

“I’m sorry, Bora, can we play again. I promise I won’t run fast this time.” Ki Joon said as he patted Bora’s head lightly.

The little girl lowered her head, not looking at Ki Joon, she nodded with a small but hopeful smile on her cute face, when she looked up at him.

Ki Joon smiled widely, counted to three and ran. This time, he purposely ran slower, and Bora could finally keep up with him.

Then she jumped onto him when he was in close range. Your eyes widened. The two fell on the ground and you smiled.

She cupped his cheeks, he screamed for his dear life, but Bora wouldn’t spare him. She pressed an innocent kiss to his cheek whilst Ki Joon laid on the grass.

Ki Joon’s scream could be heard all over the park. Your boy had just lost his ‘innocence’. You laughed at the two kids.

Although, Ki Joon screamed, and seemed startled, he was clearly amused by this newfound innocent feeling- this ‘puppy love’.

“Is this the kind of game you used to play? Were you just as bold as Bora?”

Your eyes drifted to the man, who asked you these questions. His eyes bored in yours, you fluttered your long and dark lashes, not speaking.

Bold? You couldn’t imagine being bold. It was unlike you. But you would let him think that.

His face seemed to become harder at your silence. He finally broke off the gaze, stared out and clenched his jaw.

“My sister is at the park with her family, she wants to meet us, is that alright with you?”

“Should that even be a question?” You asked.

He frowned, staring at you.

“Let’s go see her now.” You stated and headed towards Ki Joon.

“Ki Joon, aunt Natasha is here, lets meet up with her and Min Jun.”  You chimed. The kid’s eyes widened upon hearing Min Jun’s name.

“See you soon Bora.” He chimed. He hugged Bora a last time and rushed up to you.

You hadn’t seen Yongguk’s older sister in a while. You weren’t aware of the fact that you were walking fast. But you couldn’t wait to see her.

As soon as you saw her in front of you, your steps increased and then, you were in her arms, holding onto her tightly.

“Sera, I’ve missed you.” She squeezed you tightly. You let out a soft giggle and hugged her tighter, making laughter spill out of .

“Ahem.” Yongguk cleared his throat, making his forgotten presence aware for the two of you.

You pulled apart from one another and with smiles on your faces. Natasha smiled so brightly that her dimple appeared.

“Hey little brother.” She chimed as she reached her arm around her younger brother’s shoulder.

Yongguk moved closer and hugged his sister, such a warming sight to see. You froze, wondering about where your thoughts were drifting off to again. It seemed like your brain had its own agenda recently.

You looked to your side and a smile formed on your face. Ki Joon and Min Jun had seen each other. They were hugging and jumping on their little feet, squealing, happy upon seeing getting reunited after so long. You let out a soft laughter.

“Min Jun has been talking about Ki Joon for so long.” Natasha said.

“They should meet up more often.” You told, and she agreed with a simple nod.

“Should we grab something to eat at this place?” Yongguk asked.

“I am kind of hungry.” Natasha said.

Then she turned around and headed over to her husband, who held their baby daughter Areum. Their baby girl had gotten so big. She was still squishy and adorable.

Natasha carried her daughter and spoke some words with her husband. He nodded and then he walked up to the both of you.

“Areum just fell asleep, do you want to hold her?” Natasha asked as she stopped in front of you and your eyes widened of joy.

You reached your hands out without answering her question. She laughed quietly and handed you the sleeping baby.

You held in your squeal, when you got Areum in your arms. You held the baby into you securely and sighed of bliss, gazing at her sleeping face.

“She’s got bigger.” You whispered, and Natasha nodded.

“I want her to stay as a baby.” She sulked as she her child’s cheek tenderly, and lovingly. You smiled at her reply.

“I understand you, who would want such a precious baby to grow up.” You whispered as you stared at the baby, and Natasha couldn’t take her eyes off her child.

I want a little one too for myself. You sighed with a downcast look as your gaze drifted off. What the hell am I thinking now.

You stiffened at your own thoughts. How would you possibly get a child? You shuddered at the thought. Your eyes flickered to Yongguk, and you froze, when you caught him gazing at you. 

Your eyes met, but he quickly averted his eyes and walked over to his brother-in-law. You furrowed your brows for a second, wondering about why he had been looking at you. You didn’t know why.

Your eyes drifted back to the sleeping tiny but fluffy angel in your arms. You felt another tug in your chest and let out a deep sigh as you looked at baby Areum.

The little one took in almost soundless breaths, her dark lashes looked so soft, and her little apple cheeks were so squishy.

You had always wanted a child of your own. You love Ki Joon, but he isn’t the last child you intend on having.

Somehow, your eyes happened to fall upon Yongguk. His back faced you and a smile was on his brother-in-law Charu’s face.

“Should we get churros for the boys?” Natasha asked with a gleam in her eyes.

“You mean that you want churros?” You asked, and she laughed aloud.

“I think, you’ve already figured me out.” She giggled.

She had the same dimples as her brothers. Yongguk and Yongnam also have contagious smiles and laughs. They should be called for ‘the dimple siblings’.

A smile played on your lips as you looked at the baby. She moved her lips, puckering them, and she looked too adorable. Your heart melted away.

~❋~

The employees at the restaurant at the park were busy, they took orders from many people, and there were multiple benches aligned in front of the restaurant. Some benches and tables were placed under tents.  

You had taken a seat at a bench together with baby Areum, who was still sleeping in your arms. Yongguk’s brother-in-law had seated in front of you.

He had asked if he should carry his child, but you refused to give Areum back. You wanted to hold her for a little longer.

“When will the two of you get a baby?”

The unexpected question caught you off guard. You had imagined that you would get this question someday, but from your parents or friends and not Yongguk’s brother-in-law.

Upon seeing your startled look, and the flushed cheeks that you couldn’t hide, he laughed to himself.

“I guess, you aren’t there yet.” He said, and you simply nodded, not knowing what to do of yourself.

You had to keep in mind that you were pretending to be Yongguk’s woman. So, you couldn’t say the truth. You pursed your lips. This act had to end at one point.

You placed your hands on the table and idly played with your fingers as you looked the other way. You could feel Charu’s gaze on you.

However, you didn’t speak as your face was flushing up, turning hot and red like peppers. You took in a deep breath to calm down.

Then your eyes fell upon the sleeping baby in your arms. Just at the sight of Areum, you calmed down.

“It will happen, when the time is right.” He said.

“Yes.” You cooed and stole a quick glance at him.

“What will happen, when the time is right?”

The deep voice came from behind you, startling you and making you turn to look up. You had a secure hold of Areum in your arms as you looked at Yongguk.

You blinked your eyes. His piercing eyes bored in yours for a second, before they drifted to his brother-in-law.

“Nothing, did you order the snacks?” Charu asked with a smile.

You looked away from Yongguk and to Charu, thankful that he didn’t bring up the ‘baby card’ in front of Yongguk.

You wouldn’t know what to do if Yongguk heard that, but you also wondered about his reaction. He would probably get mad.

“Yes, I’m waiting for it.” Yongguk replied.

You looked the other way and down to the baby in your arms, when Yongguk seated beside you on the bench.

The moment he sat down, you felt his closeness, his warmth that radiated from him, and his strong and manly scent that filled your nostrils. You breathed in deeply.

From the corner of your eye, you could tell that he was watching you, but he wasn’t saying anything.

Your body tensed, you held the baby safely, close to you, you gazed out, avoiding Yongguk’s eyes as seconds passed by, but he kept on looking at you.

Your face turned hotter and redder by the second. You gulped hard and breathed out. You felt warm all over you. The warm rays of the sun lingered on your back, but you were heating up.

“Why is your face so red?” The silence ended by his question.

“Hh-huh?” You stammered.

You averted your eyes to Yongguk, who had suddenly scooted closer to you, so close that the tip of your nose brushed against his, when you turned around to look at him.

Your body stiffened, your neck was stiff, your eyes widened of horror as you didn’t know he sat so close to you, but for a split second, his eyes bore in yours, and he didn’t move.

When realization finally dawned upon him, he quickly retrieved, cleared his throat loud and clear. You fluttered your lashes, staring at him confusedly.

“Sera, let me hold Areum. You’ll get tired.” Charu said and he was suddenly beside you.

Before you could turn to look up at him, process his words, he grabbed the baby from your arms and walked away.

But your eyes remained glued to Yongguk, who was observing you intently. His eyes wandered down your body and back to your face.

“I asked you why your face is red.” He repeated as his eyes locked with yours.

“I’m feeling warm.” You said in a small voice.

“You are not getting sick, are you?” He asked as his brows furrowed.

Before you could respond, he reached his arm out, placed his palm on your forehead, and you gazed into his eyes.

He slightly tipped his head to the side, his brows furrowed further, and a crease formed on his forehead as he pondered. He hummed deeply.

Just when he pulled his hand back, you thought he’d move away from you, give you some space, but he didn’t. He placed his palm on your cheek gently.

His palm felt cool against your warm skin, it felt soothing, somehow it calmed you, but made your head spin, and it made you feel all sorts of odd things.

“Why are you heating up?” He asked as he your cheek carefully and his deep eyes bore in yours with worry.

Because you are touching me, you dimwit toad!

Your heart began to hammer hard against your ribcage, threatening you to burst, but you couldn’t take your eyes off his. His gaze was different. He seemed to be worried for you.

That was an absurd thought to have about him, you quickly figured. Why would he be worried for you? You blinked your eyes, staring at him.

Instinctively, you reached your hand out and grasped his wrist before you even thought of what you were doing. Your lips parted, you wanted to say something, but couldn’t form the words somehow.  

The crease he had on his forehead disappeared, his expression relaxed as his eyes remained locked with yours.

“Kwon?” He said in a husky voice.

“I’m not sick.” You assured him.

“Are you sure?” He asked and clenched his jaw. You gave him a single but assuring nod. He breathed out deeply.

“I am not sick.” You said in a clear tone.

“Alright, maybe we should sit in the shade.” He suggested as his eyes drifted over to where the restaurant tent was.

His eyes flickered down, and your eyes followed suit. You froze. He stared back at you after looking at your hand. His hand still rested on your cheek, and you still held onto his wrist.

You flushed up once again and quickly let go of him. He pulled his back. He clenched his jaw and looked the other way.

Then he got up from the bench. Your eyes followed his movements, following his tall height, he reached his hand out for you, grabbed your wrist, and pulled you up.

Without a word, he marched forward, and you followed suit. You gazed at his side view, but he looked straight out with that hard-unreadable expression of his.

“Good idea to sit in the shade, the kids will get too warm under the sunlight.” Natasha said, who was now walking beside you.

“Exactly.” Yongguk said nonchalantly, but his eyes fell upon you and you frowned at him, knowing what he was hinting.

Yongguk stopped at the bench and table. He guided you, and you took a seat. Then he left the table.

Natasha seated beside you with a beaming smile and a gleam in her eyes. She stole a quick glance at her brother.

You smiled in return, but she kept on looking at you as though she had something in mind but couldn’t say it aloud.

“What is it?” You asked.

“Thought you’d never ask.” She said.

She threw a glance around her, at the boys who chased each other, and the two men who went to get the snacks and food.

Oh God, you wondered about what she would say, would she also ask about the ‘baby card’ or something possibly worse ‘love’? You tensed but kept a calm look, although your body was firm like a board.

“Relax, I won’t eat you up.” She giggled and patted your shoulder lightly making you relax a bit. You let out a small-awkward laugh.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter