Gentleman Behaviour And Motherly Instincts

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 54

Gentleman Behaviour And Motherly Instincts

 

It was Sunday. It was past ten pm. You had tucked Ki Joon to bed two hours ago. The kitchen was quiet.

You were alone in the place. There were multiple lunch boxes on the island, and you were preparing Ki Joon’s lunch box for tomorrow.

The children’s summer-end festival would kickstart on Monday morning. Hence, you were making the little boy’s lunch box. You wanted to make sure you had prepared some of his favorite dishes.

It took time, and it was becoming late, but you had to finish this.

Yongguk had for once gone to bed early. You hadn’t told him that you would prepare Ki Joon’s lunch box now, and not in the morning.

You wiped your forehead and finished off the final things. Then you placed the lunch box in the fridge.

You turned off the lighting in the room and rushed up the stairs. Though you had been living in this house for months, you hadn’t gotten used to how big it was, how scary it could look at nighttime, when you were alone.

You needed a shower before sleeping, so you carefully opened the door to the room, stuck your head in and peeked into the room. Your eyes fell upon the bed.

Yongguk laid there with a blanket over his body, he laid on his side, with his arm over his eyes. he seemed to be asleep.

You tiptoed into the room, opened the closet carefully, made sure you didn’t make any loud and sudden noise. You grabbed your pajama, left the room, and went to take a quick shower.

By the time you came back to the room, Yongguk was still laying there, but in a different position. He had somehow moved over a bit to your side.

You tugged the towel on your hair, pulled it off and let your wet hair fall down your back. You took careful steps to the bed.

Pulled your duvet down, slipped into the bed, and glanced out at him. His eyes were closed. It was past elven pm by now.

You gazed at his face for a moment as you started to become sleepy. You closed your eyes and it became dark and quiet.

Monday arrived quickly. The morning was a rush, having breakfast and getting ready to leave. After getting dressed, you packed Ki Joon’s lunchbox in his backpack. You loaded some extra clothes in his bag, shoes, and a water bottle.

“It should all be ready now.” You said aloud.

“Have you got everything?” Yongguk asked as he strode past you and to the fridge.

“Yes, I think so.” You said.

“Good.” He said.

You hurried out of the room, leaving him alone. In your mind you went through all the things you had prepared for Ki Joon. You walked into the living room and found him on the couch, playing with Tigger.

“Come and get ready.” You said, and he jumped off the couch.

The summer-end festivities had finally begun. Ki Joon’s kindergarten had posters hung on the walls everywhere for weeks that had all the information on regarding the three-day festival at a park in Seoul.

The kindergarten would be closed for the three days in which the festival is on, and the parents must drop their child off at the camping lot and pick them up there as well.

Ki Joon was assigned in group that was coordinated in his colors, his group was ‘blue’, his camping tent was blue, and he would be wearing a blue t-shirt with his name on the back.

There were precautions made by the teachers, which made it easier to find your child at the open field.

On the backside of Ki Joon’s t-shirt was his kindergartens number and his full name ‘Park Ki Joon’. And it said ‘If I can’t find my camp, contact my teachers’.

Ki Joon was excited for the festival. It would be his first time participating the annual summer-end festival.

On the other hand, you couldn’t help but to be slightly anxious about your kid. He would be in an open park, although his teachers would be with him.

You knew that he wouldn’t be alone, but that thought didn’t prevent you from overthinking about dramatic situations. It might just be your motherly instincts that were kicking in.

The festival takes place in an open park, there would be multiple amusement rides, games, and food stalls at the park. You were also told that Ki Joon was in a group with five kids and with his teacher Choi Soo Jin.

So, you shouldn’t stress too much about him getting lost in the park as he would be with his teacher all day, until, when you will come to join Ki Joon, of course.

You had prepared a big lunch box for Ki Joon, but you doubted that he would finish half of the food, which you had made.

But you had to make sure that he would have enough food for the day. You knew that you were acting out, that you should relax, but you just couldn’t.

There would be food stalls at the park, and he would probably eat the street food and snacks from there with his teachers and friends, but that would be great too. You wanted him to get this new experience.

For safety measurements, there would be a firetruck, a police car, and a first aid stall. Hence, you didn’t need to be too anxious, right?

You needed to calm down. The place would be safe, although it was in an open park. You told yourself.

“Are you guys ready?” Yongguk asked, making you pull out of your tangle of thoughts of multiple motherly worries.

You had just helped Ki Joon put his backpack on. The little boy nodded. He wore shorts, his blue t-shirt which he got from the kindergarten, and he wore an avenger’s cap on his head.

“Yes, I am so ready, I am so excited!” He burst out, flew off to the car and you stared out at him, stunned and he was gone from your sight in the blink of an eye. His small legs were so fast.

“This boy.” Yongguk laughed and followed suit.

On your way to the park, you looked back at Ki Joon in the back seat. He had some of his avengers’ figurines with him, which he played with and entertained himself at the back.

“Hulk smash!” He exclaimed, in his own little carefree world. You turned around and stared out at the road.

It was past eight am, and you would arrive at the place within thirty minutes. You let out a small sigh and looked behind you at the boy again.

“Ki Joon?” You called out.

“Yes?” He answered as he looked up from his toys. His eyes were beaming of excitement, and you cleared your throat.

“Repeat all the things you must remember.” You said in a clear tone.

There was a moment of silence as you looked at the boy, waiting for him to list all the things he should not forget.

“If I can’t find my kindergartens camping tent, I should ask the other teachers for help at the park. I’m not allowed to take my blue t-shirt off, be-because kindergartens phone number in on my shirt. Hmm.. And I won’t run away from my teacher Miss Choi. I will listen to what my teachers say. I will stay in sight.” He said and shook his head.

“Good.” You breathed out. 

This was perhaps the longest sentence you had heard him say, but at least, he knew what to do if something where to happened, God forbid it. You sighed of relief.

“Kwon?” A deep voice broke out.

“Uh?” You tipped your head to the side, stared straight out with a blank look, and you met his deep and dark eyes.

“Calm down.” He said in his clear, deep, manly, empowering voice.

You scrunched your eyes, staring intensely back at him. He broke off the stare, his teeth, and stared on the road in front of him.

“I can’t, its his first time doing this. He will be outside in an open park, and the roads are nearby, there are cars.” You breathed out.

“He will be with his teacher.” Yongguk stated.

“I know that. But I still worry.” You said.

“Must be your motherly-instincts.” He said underneath his breath, but you heard him clearly, and you scowled at him.

As you got closer to the park, you could see some of the high tents. Some of the tents looked like the ones in a circus. You had to admit, it looked quite fun and interesting. It made you want to be a kid again.

“Woooaaaah.” Ki Joon gasped aloud as he looked out of the window from his side.

Yongguk drove around the parking lot for a while, looking for an empty parking lot. There were so many cars and people, because this festival was for multiple other kindergartens.

Finally, you spotted an empty space and pointed at it. “There Yongguk, hurry take that spot.”

“I got it.” He said.

Yongguk hurriedly took the empty parking lot. Then he turned off the ignition and looked at the back seat at the excited little boy.

“We’re here, kiddo.” Yongguk smiled.

“Yay!” Ki Joon exclaimed.

You got out of the car, opened Ki Joon’s door, unfastened his seatbelt and helped him get out of the car.

Yongguk walked over and grabbed Ki Joon’s backpack and slung it over his shoulder. You stared off at the road that led to the park.

Multiple families walked down the road with their kids. Your eyes drifted down, when you felt Ki Joon tug your hand and a smile formed on your face.

Then you looked to your other side and discovered that Ki Joon stood in between you and Yongguk. The little boy had grabbed your hands and then he strode off, leading the way.

“Come- come, hurry-hurry.” He piped out eagerly.  

The pair of you began to laugh as Ki Joon dragged you with him to his kindergartens camping tent. Each kindergarten had their own colors and logos, so that you could differentiate between the kids and kindergartens, which was quite smart. It would be easier to find your own kid in this place that is filled with kids.

Ki Joon was in search for a blue tent, when he broke out. “I see a blue tent over there.” And he ran faster, dragging the both of you along. 

You laughed harder at the little boy’s outburst. Ki Joon was running fast on his short legs, full of energy and fuel. You rushed off, keeping up with his pace.

Then the tent came in sight the closer you got, and you spotted teacher Soo Jin and a group of kids.

“Ki Joon!” The kids exclaimed, when they saw him- his little friends. Seeing the four sweet little angels made your heart heat up. Just knowing that your boy had made friends made you happy.

“I am here!” Ki Joon broke out and ran towards his friends.

You somehow let go of his hand, and he rushed off to them. Even Yongguk had let go of Ki Joon’s hand. In the blink of an eye, he hugged his friends and jumped with them.

One particular friend, a cute and pretty little girl with long curls and big deer-like eyes, peach-red cheeks, small and pouty lips caught your attention.

You stared wide eyed at two little love birds. Ki Joon looked at that cute girl with a blush on his cheeks.

“Oh my God.” You gasped to yourself, when you saw them together for the first time.

“Bora.” Ki Joon giggled as he jumped on his feet with her in his little arms.

“Ki Joon.” She giggled coyly with peach- red colored cheeks and a bright smile on her cute face. She looked so angelic, no wonder Ki Joon was infatuated by her.

“Bora?” Yongguk repeated with a frown as he looked at the little love birdies.

“So that is Bora.” You said.

“Since when did my boy get a girlfriend?” Yongguk said in a deep and serious tone.

“I met Bora’s mother a while back and she told me that her daughter likes Ki Joon. Maybe Ki Joon fancies her.” You whispered.

“Why are you whispering?” Yongguk asked with a frown as he looked into your eyes.

You grabbed onto Yongguk’s arm firmly. You felt the muscle in his bicep flex for a second, and his body tensed up as you stared deeply into his eyes. You drew him closer and down to you.

“What if Ki Joon gets embarrassed? We shouldn’t say it aloud in front of him.” You whispered.

His dark brown eyes bore in yours, a gleam showed in his eyes, the corner of his lip curved up, and you narrowed your eyes.

“Ah-ha!” He raised a brow.

You stared at him intently. He stared back, and then he looked at the two cute kids in front of him. Gazed at them for a moment, then he shook his head.

“They start so early.” He said.

“It’s normal? Didn’t you fancy a cute little girl, when you were a little boy?” You asked with a quirky smile on your lips.

Yongguk’s dark eyes drifted from the kids and to you upon hearing your question. He frowned, became quiet for a few seconds. He seemed to drift off in his own thoughts. You blinked your eyes.  

“No.” He said with a determined tone after a moment of silence. You raised your brows in disbelief, but he didn’t speak, and he looked out.

“Did you?” He suddenly asked as he returned his gaze to you, and you nodded.

“Yes.” You smiled, when you reminisced those innocent days, and his eyes pierced in yours. “I had my first crush, when I was four.” You broke out, and he froze, staring at you.

“I can’t believe you didn’t have a crush on someone, when you were a kid.” You added and looked the other way.

“I didn’t speak much until I was five.” He broke out getting your attention.  “I was introverted. I used to stay at my grandparents a lot, didn’t go to the nursery much. Didn’t have any friends, only had Yongnam. It was mostly us, because my parents had to work a lot.”

After those words had been uttered in the open, his silence descended upon you, and you felt a sudden chilling shudder rush down your back. You froze this time, looking at Yongguk with a silent gaze.

He must have stayed at lot at his grandparents, and he must have been raised by his grandparents, because his parents worked.

He had no friends. Somehow, you felt something within you tug. You blinked your eyes and looked the other way.

“So, are you still in touch with your first- ever crush?” He asked.

“No, he moved out of town, when we turned five.” You sighed as you stared off.

Then you glanced back at Yongguk and noticed that his gaze had turned harder and darker. He cleared his throat, broke off the gaze and looked back at the kids.

“Do you want to know what we used to play?” You asked with a gleeful smile, getting his attention back on you. His head tipped to the side and his eyes bore in yours.

“Wh-what?” His pupils dilated, his eyes flashes to you, his spine straightened, and he stood straighter than before, looking harder and more intimidating.

Something about his body language and the way his dark eyes narrowed of interest made you want to carry on and see how he would react.

“We used to play a ‘kiss and chase’ game. The boys had to run from the girls, and I remembered how I tried to chase the boy I liked in school.” You chimed with a smile, when you remembered those days and your crush.

His face turned possibly harder than granite. His body tensed.

“School? You had another crush?” He asked with a hard look.

You pursed your lips and nodded. You didn’t need to mention how many crushes you had as a kid. You had only had three crushes, which was normal, right? You wondered.

But you never told him that the shy eleven-year-old you had mustered all your courage. That you had ran as fast as you could, trying to catch your crush during that kiss and chase game.

Just so that you could get your first kiss, but you never managed to catch your crush and kiss him. You left that piece of information for Yongguk’s imagination to handle.

He didn’t need to know all the details. There really wasn’t anything interesting, but it was fun to see him wonder.

His eyes remained fixated on you, they turned icy cold, his dark brows were knitted in a frown, his face was harder than granite, and his jaw was clenched.

You looked the other way, smiling to yourself, you suppressed your laughter. This was beyond amusing.

He looked so taken back, and he couldn’t hide it, though he tried to, by pulling off his hard and unwavering look.

“I used to call him Mickey, and he would call me Minnie. It was so cute.” You said, gazing into his eyes with a sweet smile.

A muscle in his face tightened and he clenched his teeth, making his jaw tighten more. You looked the other way again, breathed in quietly and deeply. You wanted to laugh aloud so badly.

“How many boys have you kissed? how many crushes have you had?”

The questions caught you off guard, your head shot to the side, your eyes flew towards him, nearly fell out of your skull.

Your body temperature rose, your cheeks stared to prickle as your face slowly began to heat up, turn crimson red, and you flushed.

You didn’t ever want to tell him that- that you have only kissed one guy before him- that he is your second kiss, your actual kiss.

“That. Is. None. Of. Your. Business.” You said.

His dark eyes bored in yours. His brooding silence reigned upon you, his intense eyes said that he wanted the answer from you, but you remained collected.

Why does he want to know that, that is so embarrassing? I can’t tell him that. Nor that I’ve only dated one guy, and that was in elementary school! I’ve been single ever since. No, he must never know that!’

Then his gaze drifted from yours, he breathed in harshly and looked at Ki Joon, who was still hugging and fooling around with his friends. He cleared his throat loud and clear.

“Ki Joon. We have to say bye now, we are leave.” Yongguk broke out in a deep tone. Ki Joon cooed.

Yongguk stormed up to the boy and your eyes followed him.

“Have fun with your teacher and friends.” Yongguk said as he hugged the boy.

For a second, you solely looked at his back image. You let out a small sigh, shook your head, and cleared your thoughts. You walked up to the little boy.

“Give mom a hug.” You said.

Yongguk stepped aside, giving you some space and you didn’t look at him. Your eyes were on the kid.

Ki Joon opened his short arms for you and hugged you tightly. “Stay beside your teacher.” You added, and he nodded. You drew back a bit to look into his eyes.  

“And if someone, whom you don’t know comes up to you and talks to you, you leave, you don’t talk to them, you don’t accept anything from strangers, you go back to your tent to your teachers, okay?” You continued.

“Yes.” He said in a firm voice with a nod.

“That’s good.” Yongguk said, reach

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter