The Battlefield

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 50

The Battlefield

 

There were talks in the room, the kids were laughing and having fun. They were so free spirited after classes ended. You had missed these moments with them.

Some of the kids had gathered around you and watched you as you cut the vegetables for the meat stew. 

“Aren’t you kids going to help me?” You asked.

They giggled, and you gave them a playful- judging look, making them laugh. Your student Boram grabbed onto your arm and smiled sweetly at you. Her big brown eyes beamed.  

“Of course, we will help you.” She said, and you patted her head gently.

“Get your apron.” You said, she nodded and hurried off to put an apron on.

The students and the teachers had gathered around the tables, when it was time to eat. You looked to your side and up, when Jooyoung seated in front of you. He grabbed a bowl and poured rice in it.

You lowered your eyes and took a bite of your food silently. It felt like Jooyoung was looking at you as you were eating. You could sense it somehow.

However, you really didn’t want to look up to confirm that, because if he was looking at you, what were you supposed to do?

“The food is good.” He said, cutting off the silence.

Now, you had to look up. Your eyes met. You blinked your eyes a few times with a blank look. He looked like himself. Jooyoung smiled as he looked into your eyes. He had a beam in his brown chocolate eyes.

You finally smiled in return. Maybe you should stop worrying about him, because he really seemed fine, but you knew that it could also just be a cover.

You never truly know what’s going on inside another person’s mind, even if you think you do. You tensed as you looked at him. But he continued to eat his food silently.

You glanced the other way and stiffened, when you caught Jangmi staring at you. Her eyes were big like teacups, piercing into yours. You averted your eyes and looked at the clock on the wall.

Suddenly, it hit you that Yongguk had said he would come to visit the kids, but you didn’t know if he would do that, when he picks you up, or if he would come earlier than that. You sighed deeply.

“What are you thinking?” Jooyoung broke out.

“About when Yongguk will come by.” You said aloud as you were staring on the clock on the wall, watching time tick.

But then reality dawned on you, and you quickly looked out and noticed that Jooyoung was staring at you now.

Jooyoung’s face was hard, his eyes drilled into yours, and your body stiffened, becoming stiff like a statue.

You gulped hard, fluttered your dark lashes, your lips parted, but you closed your mouth quickly. You didn’t know what to say.

The way Jooyoung looked at you made you feel uneasy. Had you possibly just added salt to the wound? You were afraid that you would hurt him more, but you also couldn’t do anything.

You pursed your lips and bit onto your bottom lip. Your subconsciousness failed you. You weren’t supposed to say that aloud, or even speak of Yongguk in front of Jooyoung.

“Is Yongguk coming over?” Jooyoung asked calmly.

You looked into his eyes for a moment but nodded. Jooyoung lowered his eyes and began to eat. You bit hard onto your bottom lip.

You wished that you hadn’t said those words aloud. Jooyoung would probably misunderstand you and think that you wanted someone else, and that someone else is Yongguk. You let out small sigh.

You didn’t want him to misunderstand you and believe that you have rejected him to only jump onto the next man.

“Don’t worry about me. I hope for the best for you and Yongguk.” He said with a calm look and a smile.  

You froze, stared at him blankly.

“I’m not with Yongguk.” You quickly said with a flabbergasted look, but Jooyoung just smiled. He lowered his eyes again and ate his food.

Did that mean he was really okay? He was over it?

Your eyes averted out and you noticed that from afar, Jangmi was staring at you again, her eyes were bigger than teacups now, they were big as plates, her eyes drilled into yours, and she was making signs with her hands.

You could tell that she wanted to know what Jooyoung was telling you, she wanted some secret clue.

You gave her a hard glare, to tell her off, but she made a saddened face, you shot her a harder look, and then she looked at you with a baffled expression.

You lowered your eyes, stole a glance at Jooyoung and saw that he was just eating his food. Then you looked back at Jangmi and shook your head firmly.

Her shoulders dropped in defeat, and she gave up. She sighed and rolled her eyes. You shrugged at her expression. That impatient woman would wait.

“I guess things are going well for you and Yongguk.”

Your eyes drifted to Jooyoung. He wasn’t looking at you but eating his food silently. You tightened your hold on your chopsticks and stared at his face. His look was unreadable.

“What do you mean?” You asked.

“I figure, since he’s coming by, things must be going well.” He said as his eyes lifted to yours.

Your eyebrows furred a bit, you stiffened in your seat as you looked into his eyes. Was that a sad look on his face? he had a little smile and then he looked down again. He finished his bowl quickly.

“Alright, everyone, clean up, when you are done eating.” Jooyoung broke out.

“Yes, teacher Choi.” The kids piped out.

Jooyoung grabbed his bowl, stood up without looking at you, and strode off to the kitchen. You lowered your head and sighed deeply.

You didn’t know what to do, there was really nothing you could possibly do, you couldn’t say anything to him to make him feel better.

He was feeling this way because of you. You lowered your hand and placed your chopsticks on the table. You didn’t feel like eating now.

“Teacher, Kwon, why aren’t you eating up?” Boram, who was seated beside you asked in a worried tone.

“I am full.” You said with a little smile, and the young girl nodded.

From across you, you could hear hard and fast sounds of approaching footsteps. You recognized the sounds of those footsteps and prepared yourself. You didn’t have to look up to know who it was.

In an instant, Jangmi seated in front of you, taking Jooyoung’s spot which he left just seconds ago.

Jangmi shot a gaze at Boram. But the student was talking with her friends as the table.

You observed Jangmi with narrowed eyes. Then she finally turned to look at you, she waved her hand discreetly, telling you to lean forward. You leaned over the table, getting closer to Jangmi.

“What did you and Jooyoung talk about? Why did he seem sad, when he left?” She asked in a small voice.

“I told him that Yongguk is coming later, it slipped out of my tongue, okay, and now he’s looking like a hurt puppy.” You groaned.

“Oh.” Jangmi gasped.

You lifted your spoon and took a mouthful of rice and chewed on it.

“Yah, slow down, you’ll choke. It’s not your fault.” Jangmi said and she breathed out loud and dramatically. 

You huffed out, mouth full of rice, and Jangmi scrunched her face. You closed your mouth and swallowed your food. You lowered your face, sighed, and took another mouthful of rice.

“Slow down.” She added firmly.

“You’ll choke if you eat fast.”

You stiffened, a cold-cool shudder traveled slowly down your spine and back up, upon hearing that deep, cave-like voice. The familiar thrill rushed throughout your body, making your body become momentarily numb.

You tipped your head to the side, your eyes slowly lifted, and you froze like a statue, when your gaze locked with his coal dark eyes. You swallowed your food.

Yongguk walked past Jangmi and seated next to her.

Your eyes traveled up his body and to his face. You blinked your eyes a couple of times. He was really there.

He hadn’t called you to tell you when he would come. He just showed up without a warning.

“Yongguk?” You voice was a small whisper.

“Teacher, your boyfriend is here.” Boram piped out, her eyes gleamed, she looked shy and giggled, when she looked at Yongguk.

That warning came too late.

Jangmi was somehow a statue too, you were like two peas in a pod. She eyed Yongguk intensely. You cleared your throat.

“You came.” You said, and he nodded.

Your eyes scanned the place, then they widened before you turned to look at Yongguk, when you noticed that someone very important wasn’t with him.

“Where’s Ki Joon?” You asked.

“Don’t panic. He’s home with Junhong.” Yongguk said, and you relaxed.

“Why is he with Junhong?” You asked.

“I sort of had an argument with Junhong, I brought him home to reconcile. And I had asked him to babysit.” He explained.

“But, why did you fight with your friend?” You asked as you stared into his eyes, wondering about why anyone could ever fight with Junhong.

“It was nothing big.” He told, his voice became lower, and you furrowed your brows.

You didn’t want to dig in it. Junhong is just such a nice guy. You didn’t understand how Yongguk would fight or argue with him.

After all, you had seen how he took care of Junhong and Jongup. He was always kind and gentle around the youngsters.

“How is Junhong now? you were probably really scary.” You said.

Yongguk’s face hardened. You smiled instead. It seemed like you caught him off guard.

“I wasn’t that bad.” He said with a hard look.

“Sure.” You said in a calm tone.

“Kwon.” His deep voice carried a warning, which you brushed off coolly.

“Did you apologize to him?” You asked.

“Yes.” He replied curtly.

“Good.” You replied nonchalantly.

He clenched his jaw, staring at you intently, and you smiled. He had better not hurt Junhong.

“I hope it was nothing big.” You said as you folded your arms over your chest.

“It was not, and since, when do you care so much about Junhong?” He asked.

“He’s like a little brother to me to too, and I won’t let you hurt him.” You said as your brows furrowed deeper.

Suddenly, Jangmi chose to clear in a very loud and clear way. You looked her way and she smiled at Yongguk.

“Do you two usually forget about those around you, when you are together.” Jangmi giggled, and you shot her a hard glare.

However, Yongguk simply laughed at her words, and Jangmi was smiling more than before now. You sighed deeply.

“Hello, Jangmi.”

Yongguk finally reached his hand out and gave her hand a light squeeze. A smile formed on his face, the little dimple in his cheek appeared and he had a sweet innocent look. Jangmi’s eyes were wide and she giggled coyly at his smile.

The cold glint in his eyes had vanished and a bright gleam took over, making you wonder how he could do that.

Just before, he was shooting daggers at you with his eyes, and now they beamed so bright like the shining stars on a warm summer midnight, when he looked at Jangmi. He looked so kind and gentle. You grimaced. He never looked at you that way.

“It’s been a while.” She said, and he nodded with a smile.

“I’ve been meaning to come and visit.” He told.

“Sera told me.” She replied.

Jangmi was suddenly smiling so widely, her eyes lit up as she looked at Yongguk, and you scrunched your face at her expression.

Why was everyone around you so infatuated with Yongguk?

You looked to your side and noticed that Boram was goggling at Yongguk as well, her eyes were glued on him. She seemed starstruck.

Then you looked around you, a lot of the young girls were staring at Yongguk, whispering together in the corners, in groups, and even some of the boys staring at Yongguk.

“Teacher, your boyfriend is so handsome and so manly.” Boram blurted out brazenly.

“Uh what?” You gasped.

Jangmi let out a loud and vibrating laugh, and you frowned at her. Your eyes shot towards Yongguk, and he had the biggest grin on his face.  

Don’t feed his ego, girl.

“Uhh, well.” You sighed and shrugged nonchalantly.

“Don’t you think, teacher?” Boram asked with wide eyes, looking surprised.

“Well, his personality isn’t all that.” You said with a deadpanned look.

Yongguk’s eyes drilled into you, with that hard stare, he could make a hole in your face, but you flashed him a sweet smile.

“Why?” Boram asked, seeming more surprised.

“He is quite cold, doesn’t talk much, just stays in his studio, works in silence. He is just a silent person.” You said.

“That does sound a bit like you too, you aren’t that social either, teacher.” Boram said.

“What?” You gasped, bewildered. Boram bowed her head and quickly apologized.

“Sera, don’t be like that.” Jangmi let out a laugh, that you knew was one of her awkward laughs, when she wanted you to shut your mouth and tape it.

“He’s a very quiet man, he’s short with words, doesn’t really speak much.” You said firmly as you shot him a glare, and he stiffened, staring deeply into your eyes.

“But that is charming.” Boram giggled.

“Thank you.” Yongguk smiled in her way.

Why is Boram so smart?

You huffed out, reached your hand out and took your glass to your lips. You took a big sip of your water and calmed down.

Then your brows furrowed, when you saw a group of kids and mostly young boys’ approach Yongguk from behind.

“Hyung!” They shouted. 

Yongguk turned around in his seat and looked up. The boys gathered around him and looked at him with bright and beaming eyes, like he was some idol. Yongguk instantly got up.

“Hey, Heechan, Suho, Jinwon.” He smiled as he looked at the three youngsters.

“Do you know them?” You asked.

“We played soccer last I came.” Yongguk explained.

“Hyung, you remember our names.” Heechan broke out. They were all so starstruck.

You had a dumbfounded look, and your eyes drifted to Jangmi, who seemed just as dumbstruck as you were.

You exchanged clueless looks with Jangmi and looked back at Yongguk, who hugged the teenage boys. You didn’t expect this from him.

“Hyung, can we play a game?” Heechan asked.

“Sure, but have you guys cleaned up?” Yongguk asked.

The three boys stared at the older man with blank looks, and you knew these little troublemakers well enough, to know that those looks on their faces meant no.

“We will clean up now.” Suho exclaimed.

“Good.” Yongguk said, and the three ran off and began to clean up the tables.

Your jaw dropped. Heechan, Suho and Jinwon usually hate cleaning up, and doing the chores in the house, but they listened to Yongguk at his first order.

“Wow, Yongguk, you are quite amazing, maybe you should work here, and make the kids do their work.” Jangmi broke out.

“I actually do some volunteering, but that’s in a nursery for disabled kids.” Yongguk told as he looked at Jangmi.

“Wow, that’s amazing!” Jangmi exclaimed and Yongguk shrugged.  

Your eyes widened of shock, you had no idea about this. You closed your mouth quickly and tensed up in your seat. You really didn’t know Yongguk.

“Wow, Sera, why haven’t you told me about this?” Jangmi asked.

“I didn’t know.” You admitted.

“Why not?” Jangmi asked with a confused look.

“You never asked me.” Yongguk said.

“You never speak about yourself.” You said in a quiet voice.

You got up from you seat and grabbed your bowl. You headed to the kitchen, and your student Boram somehow followed you.

“So, I take it that you haven’t really taken my advice.” Jangmi said as soon as you were out of their sight.

Yongguk tipped his head to the side, and his eyes drifted to Jangmi, but then quickly back to you, and you were already washing the dishes with that young student.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“She went on a date with Jooyoung.” Jangmi said.

“I know that.” He said. “But where is that guy anyway?” He asked as he scanned the place.

“He should be somewhere, why are you jealous?” Jangmi giggled as she looked at Yongguk’s hard face.

“No. I don’t get jealous.” He stated in a thick and firm tone as his eyes drifted to her. Jangmi smiled coyly, shook her head, and he furrowed his brows.

“Alright.” She smiled.

“Can I ask why you set her up on that date?” He asked as his eyes were on you. He tensed up, when you were laughing.

Then his eyes drifted from you and back to Jangmi.

“Truthfully, Jooyoung likes her.. he asked me to do it.. and I thought he deserved a chance.. and as a matter of fact, I do want to see my friend happy with someone.” Jangmi told with a firm look.

Yongguk’s eyes somehow drifted back to you. You were talking with your student and smiling with her. He furrowed his brows.

“Can I ask you of another thing?”

“Sure?” Jangmi piped.

“Don’t set her up on any more dates.” He let out a deep sigh.

“Uh-oh-okay.” Jangmi couldn’t finish her sentence as he headed towards you.

“Teacher, I showed my painting to my best friend. I had a talk with her, and we resolved our issue. It’s all thanks to you. I am so happy you gave us this project. It made it easier for me to approach my friend and talk about my feeling through the painting.” Boram explained.

“I’m glad to hear this, Boram.” You said, and she smiled

There was a moment of silence.  

“Sometimes it is hard to express your feelings with words, and if you can find a way that is easier to express yourself, then I think you should try it. I think that expressing yourself through art is one way to do it.” You said with a smile.

Instantly, Boram reached her hands out and wrapped them around your waist. She leaned into you closely, holding you tightly.

For a moment, you froze up at her sudden hug, but a smile spread on your face, and you felt your heart become warm.

“I really look up to you teacher.” She said in a little voice.

These little moments made your job the best job for you in this planet. You wrapped your arms around her and patted her back gently.

“You know, you can reach out to me, if there is anything.” You said in a soft tone. Boram glanced up and nodded. You laughed with her and patted her back.

Your eyes happened to fall upon Yongguk, who stood near you, looking at you intensely. The smile you had vanished. You stiffened, when you saw a smile on his face.

Boram pulled back with a bright smile.

“I will go to my friend now.” She said, you nodded, still looking at Yongguk, and she took off.

You eyed were on Yongguk as he strode up to you.

“Do you need help?” He asked as his eyes drifted to the dirty dishes in the sink.

“Since you are so good with words, why don’t you order the kids to wash up?” You asked.

“Is that a compliment from you?” He asked as he stepped closer.

Instinctively, you took a step back and your back hit the counter behind you. In the blink of an eye, Yongguk was in front of you.

Then he placed his hands on the counter at either your sides. He lowered down to you. Your heart thudded hard against your chest.

“What you said to that student was very sweet.” He said.

“You heard that?” You asked, and he nodded. “Those were deep words, Kwon.” He stated.

“I know.” You said.

“Just a moment ago, you said I was short with my words.” He said.

He stood close to you, too close to you, and your body became numb. There were kids around. Your breathing turned deeper and faster.

“What are you doing, mister?” You asked.

“Nothing.” He pulled back with a calm, unfazed look, and a cool glint in his dark eyes.

“The kids are going crazy, because you are here.” You broke out.

Your eyes shot out and towards Jooyoung, who was looking at Yongguk. Yongguk who stood in front of you pulled away and turned to look at your colleague.

“They are so fond of Yongguk.” Jangmi countered with her bright laugh as she looked at Jooyoung.

“Aha.” Jooyoung hummed.  

Yongguk headed towards Jooyoung.

What was he doing?

Then he stopped in front of Jooyoung.

Jangmi and you stared at the two men with clueless looks.

“I am going out to the field to play soccer with the kids, why don’t you join the game?” Yongguk asked calmly.

His voice was smooth as silk, it sent a chill down your spine and then he strode off to the boys who were waiting for him, before getting an answer from Jooyoung.

Jooyoung stood still for a bit, looking at Yongguk’s back image.

You stared at Jooyoung.

Jangmi’s eyes drifted from Jooyoung and to Yongguk, who was headed out. Then she followed Yongguk.

Then Jooyoung followed suit.

You let out a sigh and went out.

~❋~

You were sated on the bench. It seemed like Jooyoung had taken up on Yongguk’s offer on playing in two teams against one another.

Of course, Heechan, Suho and Jinwon teamed up with Yongguk, and some of the other kids wanted to join Yongguk’s team.

Somehow, you were surprised to see that a lot of the kids wanted to be in Yongguk’s team, but they really liked to meet new people.

They managed to make teams with equal numbers, ten on ten. That was a good number. Yongguk’s team began.

You watched the game silently. It was only seven pm, and you had one hour left of work. It seemed like your shift would finish with a game of soccer with the kids. That was alright. All you had to do was sit and watch them play, right? you didn’t complain at all. This was easy.

But you guessed wrong. Not long after the game began, you had gotten dragged into Yongguk’s team by the boys.

They all said you couldn’t sit and watch, when you were Yongguk’s girlfriend, you were supposed to play with him.

You groaned and kicked to the ball fiercely and you made a goal. It was all because Yongguk let them believe you were a couple. Now you were dragged into this.

Yongguk stopped in front of you, his eyes slightly wide, and jaw dropped.

“Kwon.” He said, and you gave him a little grin.

“Teacher, Kwon, you should have joined us earlier.” Jinwon said, panting.

Sweat trickled down their foreheads, they were panting, but they were still so energetic. Your muscles already felt sore, twenty minutes into the game.

You were out of shape, but Yongguk, he on the other hand was somehow unstoppable, including Jooyoung.

It felt like a real soccer game, actually, it felt like a battlefield. With the gazes those two grown mean shot at one other, it seemed like a death battle. Why were they both so competitive? This game would never end.

It was just supposed to be a game. It was supposed to be fun, but they were so serious about it. You panted deeply and ran tiredly. Your limbs were about to fall off.

The ball was in Yongguk’s possession now, the kids from your team chanted loudly, and Jooyoung was running fast towards Yongguk.

You didn’t want to be a part of this battle. The two men were too much, too childish right now. They hyped up the boys on their teams. Jooyoung was sweating down his back. His shirt was glued to his skin.

Yongguk was running, aiming towards Jooyoung’s goal. Jooyoung looked panicked as he ran, tried to run faster.

You had never seen Yongguk run with such a speed before, faster than lightening, he kicked the ball, making it shoot right into the opposite team’s goal. Yongguk broke out in a loud yell.

“Victory!” His hands were in air.

Your team was leading by five-two. Yongguk’s eyes drifted to yours, but this sport didn’t speak to your soul.

However, his eyes beamed even more, when the boys swarmed around him and tackled him. The kids tried to carry Yongguk but failed. Yongguk laughed.

Ki Joon should see how his daddy is so cool.

“It isn’t over yet.” Jooyoung broke out with a grim look.

“Guys, please let’s just end the game.” You said.

There were twenty minutes left of your shift, but Yongguk gave you a hard gaze, and you rolled your eyes. Then he strode up to you.

He wasn’t even panting or breathing hard. He looked so calm. There were only a few drops of sweat that trickled down his forehead.

“Are you tired?” He asked in a husky tone, and you nodded.

Your eyes widened, and your body tensed up, when he your cheek so softly and carefully. Your eyes bore in his.

“Sit on the bench.” He said.

“Hyung, you are cool!” The boys screamed wildly.

“Don’t feed his ego, kids!” You exclaimed, but they chuckled bashfully, and you sighed deeply.

You looked out and noticed that Jooyoung was eyeing the pair of you. His eyes were different, he had a grim look on his face. You sighed and looked at Yongguk.

You took a step back from Yongguk. Jooyoung would misunderstand you and think that you were already on to the next one.

“Rest.”

Yongguk nodded at the bench. You strode off and noticed that Jangmi was sitting there and smiling like a goof at you.

“Your man isn’t even sweating.” She giggled, when you were in a close enough distance to hear her.

“My man?” You rolled your eyes. “Stop yourself.” You groaned as your legs gave away and your body collapsed on the bench.

“Here.” Jangmi handed you a water bottle.

“What about the other kids?” You asked.

“Hansol got the night shift, he’s inside with them with another teacher.” She told, and you nodded.

You took the lid off to the water bottle and took a sip. The cold water rushed down your throat. It was refreshing, and you sighed aloud. Your limbs were sore now.

“I wonder what the two are talking about?” Jangmi said, and you glanced out and saw that Yongguk and Jooyoung stood face to face suddenly.

What is going on?

“I might have given up on Sera, but I will win this game.” Jooyoung said.

“I never saw you as a competition.” Yongguk replied.

Jooyoung gasped as he stared at the other man, who had a hard-unbending look, and he shuddered. Yongguk turned his back to Jooyoung and sped off with the ball.

“Why is Jooyoung’s face like that?” You asked.

“I don’t know, but Yongguk looks mad, he looks very mad, why is he so handsome?” Jangmi sighed.

“Stop staring at Yongguk.” You fired and huffed out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter