| prologue pt.2 |

▌SOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That was the name Youngji noticed printed on the nametag across the boy's back. She studied the and wondered how to pronounce it. Her eyes trailed over to his face and again, she made out the worried expression he had on. Normally, Youngji would wave it off as the boy was probably just nervous for his turn. He would tap his feet after clamping his hands together for a while. But it was the expression he had on. Never once did this boy relax his face. And it bothered her. She wondered if it was possible to encourage him on. 

 

Suddenly, the host announced the next player to come up and the excited boy next to 王嘉爾 practially flew out of his seat, eager to meet his opponent.

 

If only that boy could do the same. 

 

Taking this chance, Youngji climbed one row down the bleachers and plopped herself onto the empty seat next to him. The twins didn't notice as they whistled on the new contestant. But 王嘉爾 did and jumped at the sight of a non uniformed girl before him. 

 

"Why aren't you changed?" He spoke in English. He stared at Youngji for a moment and wanted to take it back. She had her hair tied up in two pigtails, wearing only a striped blue shirt with jeans. She wasn't even wearing the proper shoes as he eyed her white sneakers that had turned dirty from years' use. Her skin was a milky white, as if she had been unaffected by the sun for years. But the main attraction was her eyes. They were round and big, with an indefinable sparkle to them. 

 

Was she even from around here?

 

Youngji caught Jackson studying him and smiled nervously. 

"I'm not a fencer!" Youngji quickly explained, waving her hands frantically in the air.

Now that she was sitting closer, she had a better view of the boy. His wavy dark hair swept across his face, just enough so it touched the tips of his scrunched up eyebrows. His cheeks were on the chubbier side and Youngji couldn't help but think he looked somewhat vulnerable among the other competitors. 

 

"Oh. Well then what are you doing here?" The boy wondered, relieved to be prying his eyes away from the match to talk to someone.

"I came to watch the tryouts and just wanted to wish you good luck!" Youngji uttered and hoped she didn't come off too strange for confronting a random boy in the bleachers. 

"Oh, uh, thanks." Jackson shyly smiled and started to scratch the top of his head. I definitely needed it...

 

There was a slight pause before he asked the question that had been on his mind since he saw her. "So, are you from around here?"

"No, I'm actually from Korea and my name is Youngji!" Youngji grinned. 

Jackson's eyes widened as his mouth broke off into a smile. It gave a different aura after seeing the concerned expression on his face for some time. He should smile more often...

 

 "Hi, my name's Jackson." He extended his arm for a handshake. 

Youngji didn't notice and bowed instead. 

Confused, Jackson quickly pulled his hand back and stared awkwardly at her. 

Youngji realized her action deemed unfamiliar to him and opened her wide mouth for a laugh. "It's part of our Korean culture!" 

He nodded his head in understanding, but he was more amused by her funny way of laughing.

"There's no sound coming out!" He remarked and pointed at . 

Youngji laughed even more, causing Jackson to follow suit at such a sight. 

 

Youngji stopped to note that Jackson was even laughing now. A warm feeling spread across her body, a reaction she had always gotten whenever she made someone happy. She felt content as she took note of Jackson's hyena laugh, his mouth stretched from ear to ear. 

 

"Are you here for a trip?" Jackson seemed to have forgotten about his match as he shifted his body so he could face Youngji better.

"Yes! I'm going to be here for two weeks to visit my aunt who lives here!" Youngji proclaimed.

"That is so cool! Do you listen to kpop?" Jackson raved, his hand landing on Youngji's due to his excitement.

At first Youngji was surprised. But she figured Jackson was into skinship and happily repli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter