Chapter 2

l'âme sœur

"Are you alright?" Jaemi helped a lady who dropped her things.

"Yes, thank you dear." The lady smiled lovingly.

A man suddenly appeared locking her hands with the woman.

"What's your name dear?" The man patted her head.

"It's Jaemi sir!" She beamed.

"Thanks for helping my wife Jaemi! My name is Lee Byunghun, this is my wife Dahae." 

They looked very young to be a couple. Maybe newlyweds? Jaemi reasoned in her mind.

"Are you here to visit the orphans?" She smiled.

It was one of the activities of the Orphanage. A week before Christmas, different people would visit and play with the orphans. After days, weeks or even months some of those would come back and adopt those children that sticked to their hearts at a short period of time. Those orphans were the lucky ones. 
Minseok and Jaemi never dreamed of being adopted though. They were contented with what they have. They dreamed that when they both reach the legal age of 18, they'll leave the orphanage and look for jobs. They will finish college and live their dreams.

They were both genuinely optimistic. 
 
"Yes, we're actually here to meet with Mrs. Choi first" Mister Byunghun smiled.

"Jaemi-ah come on! We have to decorate the Christmas Tree!" Minseok shouted from afar.

"Mrs. Choi's office is just around that corner, turn left and you'll see the first door. Thats her office. I have to go now, have fun here Mr & Mrs. Lee!!!" She beamed running off.

 


 

"What took you so long? I've already assembled the Christmas Tree"

"Guests just needed help to find Mrs. Choi's office" Jaemi helped Minseok put on the decorations.

"Before I forget, I have something for you." Minseok searched his pocket.

"An early Christmas present?" Jaemi smiled eagerly. 

"Here!" Minseok smiled.

"Wow!!! A rock???" She questioned. 

"Idiot! Thats a jaw breaker."

"What's a jaw breaker? It sounds dangerous." Jaemi was confused.

"Its a candy pabo, here see." Minseok brought another "rock" out and ate it. He looked like a chipmunk with the big candy in his cheeks.

"You look ridiculous!!!" Jaemi laughed.

"Eat it too!"

"Fine! Fine!" Jaemi ate the candy.

"Doesn't taste that delicious, thanks anyway. You da best Baozi!!!" Jaemi hugged Minseok too tight for the male too handle.

Unlike the other orphans, Jaemi and Minseok weren't that eager to catch the attention of the guest, and hoped to be adopted. The chances to be adopted were very minimal. They just continued to decorate the Christmas Tree, hoping that this Christmas would be a blast. They were contented witn their own little world.