Chapter 6-Figment of Imagination

Undying Love

My wife looked very angry, and I can't blame her for feeling that way to me either. I left her for at least two whole days, that reason being because of my need to be with Taemin. Her brows were knitted, and her arms also happened to be folded on top of her chest. She was probably, very angry. "Minho." She harshly said. "You said you were going to come back home last night."

I remained quiet. Not because I didn't want to reply, but I didn't exactly know how to respond to her. "Sorry."

A scoff left her dry lips-probably from sobbing over me or something-her eyes doing that roll that I found so rude at times. However I knew this time I kind of deserved it. "That's it? Sorry? No explanation-"

I leaned down and kissed her forehead, able to see her cheeks become a warm color of red. "Even if I explained it, it doesn't really matter since I'm here now right?" It was a mean thing for me to do, but I didn't want to talk about anything. I didn't want to bring up anything that happened today or else I might just end up bawling my eyes out again. Everything would become a mess if I don't stand my ground now. It's just not the right time to reveal anything yet. At least not to her. So me distracting her with my sweet talk was pretty much the only thing I was able to come up with at the moment.

"I guess.." She quietly mumbled. I was glad she didn't push the subject any further. If she had done so I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

"Okay, so I'm just going to go eat. After that I'll meet you upstairs in bed." I had said, taking off my sweater and about to head to the kitchen. But just then, without any warning she had pulled my arm and tip toed to kiss me. Instinctively, I had pushed her back, not able to stop the words that weren't supposed to come from her husband's mouth. "What do you think you're doing?" 

Surprised, her eyes were wide. "W-What do you mean? You're my husband-I'm supposed to have the right to kiss you." I couldn't reply, so our mouths remained shut. There was no sound to fill the sudden silence in our conversation. However after a few minutes passed by us, she spoke again. "Did you forget we were married?"

"N-No. It's just that..I've just been stressed. And that kiss just shocked me."

"Shocked? If anything.." She averted her eyes to the floor, clearly because she didn't want me to see her incoming tears. "If anything my kiss should make you feel better.."

I frowned. I really do fail to fulfill my duty as a husband to her. "Mianhae..I didn't mean to say that." So with that in mind, I held her cheek and pecked her lips. I didn't enjoy it, or even like it since it felt like I was giving a kiss to a baby sister of mine. But I couldn't not do it, I didn't have much of a choice to hold on to. "I'll meet you upstairs okay?"

Yuri was blushing at me and nodded quietly. I was relieved she finally went away, because I was just this close to rubbing off her kiss from my lips. It didn't feel right. It couldn't compare to the kisses Taemin gave me, or the feelings he was able to stirr in my stomach when he would just smile at me.

I went to kitchen as I had said and prepared myself a meal. I wasn't sure how long it had taken, but I knew it was probably more than an hour because my wife had fallen asleep. I had gone to the room to tell her I was going to take a quick shower when I saw that she was already in dream land. So I simply shut the door and cleaned myself up. I couldn't help thinking about Taemin and the house. I was just so worried and still very much confused. Everything right now didn't make sense. It was as if I were watching a science fiction series or something. Quietly, I shut off the water and wiped my body with a towel. I dressed up in a shirt and gray sweats before wiping my hair dry. Then, I made my way to the bedroom, laying down on my bed and turning away from my wife. I really didn't feel the need to see her face when I woke up, because she wasn't the one I wanted to see first thing in the morning.

I wanted to see Taemin.

And so, I dreamt of him that night.

-

My wife had woken me up, probably not intentionally since she was still asleep when I had opened my eyes. She had probably moved just hard enough to wake me. Groaning, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Today was Saturday, so that meant I was free. "Free huh.." I whispered after a yawn. I looked down to my left and looked to see that my wife was indeed sound asleep. As quietly as I could, I brought myself out of bed. The rain outside didn't hide itself as it gently tapped on my windows and painted it with droplets. I usually don't like rainy days, but for some reason I just felt the need to stay outside in the cold today. But I knew exactly where my body wanted me to go. I knew truthfully why I wanted to stay outside. And if I were to answer it with one word, it would be Taemin. That was all that needed to be said for me to have a reason to even live on in this world. His name was the answer to everything for me, especially for pain and love. "Taemin-ah..do you miss me?" The question quietly left my lips and filled the silence.

My eyes trailed on the floor when I found myself walking to my closet. I slid my arms through the sleeves of my sweater as thoughts filled my head. My brain had been so occupied that I didn't realize I was already on my way out the door by the time I slipped on a pair of shoes and socks. Quickly, I put up my hood to protect my head from the rain when shutting the door behind me. I didn't bring anything with me but my keys, there really was nothing else needed for me to bring. I was alone when walking on the sidewalk, it seemed that it was pretty early. There was surprisingly no one outside right now, but I guess that was probably because other people were probably cherishing these extra hours of sleep they got in the weekends. I should have cherished them, but I'd rather loose sleep than not see the house.

So as soon as I could see the house from a distance, I started to jog. I could feel all of my clothes becoming damped by the rain. I couldn't care less whether or not I got sick, I just wanted to get there. For some reason, I felt as if someone were watching me again. This feeling has been here for quite a while now, and I never really paid much attention to it, but today I just felt the need to know. My instincts were telling me to turn around and get a look at whoever could possible have interest in me, so I followed them. I turned around hurriedly, seeing that same familiar boy who held my heart. I choked. My whole body was just tempted to run to him. I was tempted to go to Taemin, but I frowned realizing that it was probably just another hallucination again. "Stop it Minho." I scolded myself. "He's not real, Taemin is in the hospital."

Suddenly, the figure before me had his eyes widen as if he heard my words. "Hospital?" When this imagination of mine spoke up, lumps of knots formed in my throat. It was Taemin's voice, but there was something strange about it. His voice echoed softly and seemed to be almost like he was speaking from inside a glass case. It was very faint, but also very clear. It was as if he was speaking right next to my ears. "What are you talking about?" He asked me.

I blinked frequently before shaking my head. I chose to ignore this hallucination which only got worse before jogging to the house. I was confused.
Why does he seem so real to me?

The keys from my pocket were fished out before I opened the door. I had gone inside quickly and came to see that the house wasn't as much of a mess as before. The things I had put together by hand were on the floor but as expected, were not shattered. The walls were left untouched, and the couch which I had sewn last night wasn't ripped like before. I was just about to make my way to the bathroom to get the canned paint and other tools I would use to continue to repair the house until I saw that same figure from before. He was inside the house, standing in the living room and staring at me. "Hospital.." His soft voice repeated again. I rubbed my eyes to rid of his image but that didn't do anything. Instead, it made me see how Taemin's figure was sort of translucent and how he also seemed like he was glowing. "I'm at the hospital?.."

"W-Who are you.." My voice cracked when I finally got out my choked words. I shouldn't have spoken a word, but I just couldn't keep quiet seeing this thing take the face and body of my love.

"Taemin.." He whispered. "Lee Taemin. They told me that was my name."

I gulped. "They?"

"This little girl.." He lifted up his thin arm and showed a red silk of string that was tied losely around his wrist. "She was there when I opened my eyes. And she told me this string was tied to the object I'm supposed to find. She said the only one who would be able to see me should be here."

He sounded crazy, but I for one couldn't not believe him since I could see the long piece of red silk that seemed to be tied to something. It seemed to become even more invisible the longer the piece was stretched. "You mean..me?"

A nod took place in the movement of his head. I was about to speak again, but remained silent knowing I was talking to probably nothing but a figure of my imagination. What the hell am I doing? This is crazy. I can't be talking to Taemin..it's just not possible. Looking up, the one who looked like my Taemin was staring at me with eyes emptier than those of a fish. I couldn't help but feel my cheeks get warm at his stare. Despite knowing this was definitely against logic, I didn't stop myself from imagining him. Quietly, this person had moved to the kitchen. He walked normaly like a person, and seemed even more real when he got closer to me. When his body passed by mine, his own figure became less translucent and more solid. But that only lasted as long as it did having him near me. Once he had walked passed me and closer to the plates I had tried to break many times, his figure became that same translucent glow. Then, without a word, he held the plate with one hand and suddenly threw it on the floor. It didn't break. "Don't do that-" The words slipped from me, and came off louder than they should have, but they had no affect on the other.

The one who left me shocked simply looked at me with those empty eyes and blinked. "I don't know..why I did that." He said with that echoing voice of his.

Then, a thought came to me. "Have..Have you been the one doing this?" Was this figure a spirit who took Taemin's looks to mock me? "Have you been the one destroying the memories I try so hard to repair?" I couldn't sound angry. No matter what, I couldn't find it in myself to even come close to shouting at him.  There was no way I would yell at Taemin. So as of right now, my voice sounded in distress.

"I-..don't know." He said, and then dropped another plate.

"Stop it.." I pleaded. "Don't do that."

The other who I was starting to believe was a spirit blinked. He really looked like he didn't know what was happening. "My body..it keeps doing these things." He looked at me. "It's the same thing over and over again. A routine, and no matter how much I hold back, my body has a mind of it's own."

"Don't lie to me.." My voice became soft. "Please..whatever you are, don't take Taemin's look and use it against me. I'm already hurt enough with everything that reminds me of him. I don't need this to add on."

"Lee Taemin.." He whispered. "That's my name. I wouldn't take anyone's looks. They told me that I am Taemin."

"No, you're not. Taemin is in the hospital. He's alive and currently in a coma."

"Hospital..I woke up at the hospital."

My brows furrowed when the figure started to walked towards Taemin's bedroom. I followed him. "Where are you going-"

When I had reached him, I came to see that the figure was holding a teddybear in his hands and showing it to me. I could clearly see that the end of the red silk was tied to the arm of the teddybear. "They told me to follow the red silk and I came here." He pet the head of the stuffed plush with those hands I had held so many times before. "She said my name was Lee Taemin, and that this was where I was supposed to come."

I felt a little irritated. He was just repeating all the things he had been saying. "If you are really Taemin, then why don't you remember me?"

He stayed quiet and hugged the teddybear tightly onto his chest. "I don't know."

"Why? Why would you forget about me? The Taemin I knew would remember me in a split second."

He looked at the teddybear intently. "I don't..know." His head lifted up slowly. "But I do feel as if I've known you for a long time." I clenched my jaw. For some reason, with the way he looked like not recognizing me, I just felt like crying my eyes out again. He looked just like Taemin, with those eyes, those cheeks, and even sounded like him with that voice. Everything about him was Taemin, and I just couldn't keep these pitiful feelings from stirring up since all I saw was my one true love looking at me like a stranger. "Who am I..to you?" He suddenly asked.

My slight glare for him had disappeared slowly. How was I supposed to tell him? Should I be honest? My eyes locked with his again, my heart getting caught in my throat while it sped up. "To me..to me you were my best friend. The closest best friend I could have ever had in my whole life. We shared things no one could ever replace. Things no one else could ever make me feel. You gave me happiness.." My sentence slowly trailed off into silence.

"Is..there more?" He said softly.

I furrowed my brows. "Why do you want to know? For all I know you could be a figment of my imagination that's toying with my heart." 

His eyes widened very slightly, but after that they went back to the same size they were. He looked at his hand which still confused me greatly for being tralucent. Then, with a sincere look of confuseness on his face, he put that hand over his chest. Strangely, I could see his clothes through it. And now that I look at him, I didn't realize he was wearing a red knitted sweater that fit him loosely. Right now one of his sleeves were lifted up to reveal the silk cloth tied around his thin white wrist. For his pants, he simply wore black skinny jeans. I don't even remember if this was the outfit he had been wearing the night he was in my arms. "For me to be able to toy with your heart..that means I'm more than just a best friend to you..right?"

I blushed slightly and looked down on the floor. "What of it.."

"I need to know.." I looked back up when he said this. He needs to? Why would he need to? "Aniya..I said that wrong. I think..I think I want to know."

"What makes you think I would tell you?" For some reason, my brain wouldn't let the words from my heart to spill out. It was as if it trying to tell me I would only hurt myself. Like it said I needed to protect myself from anymore harm for the sake of staying sane when Taemin comes back to me for real.

Suddenly, the other had approached me. I felt my breathing stop while the pulse of my heart pounded loudly in my ears. Taemin-or whatever this figure was-grabbed my hand with his now solid hand before putting it on his chest. Why did he look solid every time he came closer to me? I thought to myself. "It's not like I don't have an idea of it." He said with that echoing voice. "I just want to confirm it. Maybe then, I'll be able to go away." I was too in shock to respond right away because what I felt beneathe my hand was nothing. There was no pulse whatsoever. It didn't even feel like there was a hand holding me or a chest against my palm. It was more like warm air that held my hand. That's not even what made me confused, it was the fact that I could hear his heartbeat. I didn't feel it so I knew for sure now this thing didn't have a heart, but my ears told me otherwise. "I can't feel anything either..but I could hear it beating loud and clear." He told me, as if reading my mind.

"W-What are you?"

"I don't know.." He walked closer to me so that the back of my own hand was touching my chest. "But I want to ask again..who am I to you?"

I gulped. Those eyes I missed oh so much looked right into my soul. Those beautiful eyes which I have seen so many emotions run through-were looking at me. They were pleading me to talk from the bottom of my heart. And so, my stupid self let go of the words which I held clenched so tightly in my grip. "Lee Taemin..he-"

"Me." He corrected.

I bit my lip and looked down. "You..you were..my first and my only true love."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/n: AND HERE IS THE NEXT CHAPTER. *Wipes sweat* Phew, my oh my aren't lots of things happening here? Gosh, how do you guys think of this? Sorry if there are any grammatical errors! I wanted you guys to read it as soon as I finished. I did look and read through this to fix them, but I'm sure like every author, I had missed one somewhere throughout this whole chapter. SO if you do find one, try to ignore it ^.^" Ehehe Mianhae for the inconvenience. And sorry for taking long! School had begun and some teachers actually had the balls to give us homeworks and tests the day we had gone back c: Those stupid little ers.

ANYWAYS. Please comment and subscribe! Love from you all is always bringing me happiness and inspiration to write (: Happy reading my lovelies!