Chapter 4

The Penpal
Dear XiaoLu, 
 
Hai hai! Great news! The song is almost finished! Hehe, you must be very glad to hear this. I'm actually getting a lot of help from a friend of mine. He's quite the lyricist if you ask me. I can't wait for you to hear it. I think it's the best song I've ever written. I hope you like it as much as I do. 
 
Hey, can I ask you for some advice? I seem to be the one giving you advice through these letters. Mind if you can give me some too? Ok, here it goes...
 
Lately I've been feeling so conflicted. Like there's a battle going on inside of me. One thing I've come to realize, our hearts are pretty indecisive. One moment my heart longs for the one person. While another moment my hearts longs for another person. 
 
Lately I've been thinking about two people. Sometimes even at the same time. When I'm happy. When I'm sad. When I'm lonely. I think of those two people. The problem is, I don't know which one I long for the most. I don't know which one my heart wants. Hehe, I sound pretty sappy and pathetic right now huh. Welp, that's all. I hope you can give me some advice. Till the next letter! XD
 
~ Melody
 
I finished writing my letter to XiaoLu. I reread it to see if it made sense. I didn't usually ask XiaoLu for advice. He was the one who usually came to me for advice. It didn't make sense for him to only receive advice. He should be able to give advice too.
 
I sealed the letter in an envelope and placed the letter in my backpack. I sat at my desk and thought about what I just wrote. It was true. What I wrote. Lately I've been feeling as if I'm in constant battle with my feelings. My heart longs for two people and sometimes at the same time. Those two people. XiaoLu... and Luhan...
 
I was sitting at my desk when I heard a knock on my window. I pulled the curtains aside and opened the blinds. It was Luhan. How in the world did he get up here? I pulled up the blinds and opened the window. He smiled at me and waved.
 
"What's up?" he said. 
 
"You are," I said. "What are you doing here? How did you even get up here?" Many questions were swimming around in my head. You better start talking Luhan.
 
"I climbed up here," he said. "You shouldn't come out on the terrace a lot. Someone could just climb up here."
 
"Someone like you?" I asked. 
 
"No," he replied. "I meant weird, erted people."
 
"Like you're not weird and erted yourself," I said with a laugh.
 
"Shut up," he said. "Can I come in?" I nodded and made room for him to step into my room.
 
"Why couldn't you just step through the front door?" I asked.
 
"That's boring," he replied. He looked at me, a smirk on his face. "You know I don't really like boring." I laughed.
 
"That's true," I said. Luhan sat at my desk.
 
"Can we play today?" he asked.
 
"Not today," I said. "I'm gonna work on my song."
 
"Ok," he said, throwing himself onto my bed. "I'll help you then."
 
"Cool," I said. I reached for my backpack to retrieve my notebook. I took a seat on my bed. 
 
"I just need a few more lyrics for the ending of the song," I said. "Ugh, I can't think of anything." 
 
I sighed and laid back. I my side. I forgot that Luhan was on my bed as well. He was his side as well and he was facing me. Our faces were only spaces apart. I could feel his breath on my face. I stared at him, studying him. Not a flaw on his face. Everything, every feature, was perfect. 
 
The corner of his mouth turned up into a smile. Before I could stop him, he lifted his hand up to my face. His fingers went up to my face. He brushed strands of hair away from my face. I all of sudden moved forward, decreasing the space between us, but still keeping a little space. His eyes widened at my sudden movement. He wasn't expecting me to move closer. I wasn't either. 
 
Suddenly, we heard a knock on the door. Out of instinct, I threw myself off my bed and landed on the floor, hitting my head on the way. I flinched and reached for my head. I cursed under my breath. Luhan got off my bed and went to help me up.
 
"Are you okay?" he whispered. I nodded vigorously.
 
"Hide! Hide! Hide!" I whispered urgently. I pushed Luhan into my closet and shut the door after him.
 
"Min Jae," my mom called from outside my room. "In a few hours, I'm gonna go to the store. Do you need anything there?"
 
"No," I called after her. "I don't need anything." I prayed she wouldn't come in. I heard the sound of the doorknob turning. Darn it. Did I jinx it? Stop jinxing things Min Jae!
 
"While I'm here, I might as well collect your dirty laundry," my mom said. She made her way towards my closet where I put my dirty laundry basket. Shoot... I quickly made my way towards the closet before she could even open it.
 
"Erm, it's ok. I can do my own laundry mom," I said. I smiled the brightest smile I could muster up. She smiled and patted my head. 
 
"I raised you well, didn't I." She exited my room and made her way downstairs. I closed my door after her. I sighed in relief.
 
I went to the closet and opened it for Luhan to come out. He stumbled out, breathing heavily. I helped him to his feet.
 
"I'm so sorry," I said. "Are you okay?" He smiled and nodded yes.
 
"How about you?" he asked. "Are you okay?" His hand went up to my head. He checked for any injuries. I felt my cheeks heat up at his touch and care for me. I took his hand off my head and smiled at him. 
 
"I'm fine," I said. "Let's just work on my song." He nodded and smiled at me.
 
As we worked on my song, I looked at Luhan a lot and at the same time, I thought of XiaoLu. Here it goes again... Why am I always feeling this way...