Chapter 3

The Penpal

Dear XiaoLu,

 
Great news! The song is almost finished! I won't give any hints on what it's about, so you'll still have to wait, haha. *sticks tongue out at you* Can you believe it's been almost a year since we started writing to each other? Let's celebrate!
 
So how are things over there? I'm doing great and I hope you are too. I'm writing to you from the library at school. Ooh, I think it's time you learn a new fact about me. Fact #52: I am a huge book worm. Books are like my second life. When I read, I always dive right into the story. Sometimes I feel like I'm an actual character in the book myself. Is that weird? Hehe... Write back soon! And hopefully the song will be finished by the time your next letter comes.
 
~ Melody
 
I folded the letter and was about to place it in an envelope, when someone swiped the letter out of my hand. I turned around in my seat to see Luhan smiling mischievously.
 
"Yah! Give it back!" I yelled at Luhan. I knew he was just teasing me, but I really didn't want anyone reading the letters I write to XiaoLu. 
 
Luhan raised his hand way above his head. I got up from my seat and stood on tiptoes to try to get the letter back. I was shorter than him, so that brought me to a disadvantage. Standing on my tiptoes, brought me at eye level with him.
 
I then realized that we were extremely close to each other. In fact, we were almost touching. I stopped trying to get the letter back and took a huge step back. I cleared my throat and tried a different tactic. 
 
"Can I please have my letter back?" I asked cutely. I put my hands together and rested them on the side of my face. 
 
Aegyo. That's what I'm trying out this time. I never usually never played this card, but he has left me with no other choice. He looked at me with a surprised look on his face. Think you can hold it in Luhan?! After a while, he sighed deeply and handed the letter back to me. 
 
"Thank you," I said. I laid a finger on his chest. "And don't you ever think about doing that ever again." 
 
He smiled and pretended to act scared. I rolled my eyes and sat back down in my seat. Luhan took the seat right next to me, just as I knew he would. We both took a book that was on the table. I actually read the book, while Luhan pretended to read his.
 
He's been doing this a lot lately. I would read at the library and at some point, Luhan will come along and "read" beside me. There were many times when I'd look up from my book to see him staring at me. 
 
Even though it was kind of weird and stalker-like, I actually didn't mind it. He thinks that I know that he likes reading with me. But I know the truth. He just wants an excuse to look at me without me knowing it. 
 
I looked up from my book for a moment to see Hyunseung peeking through the window. He spotted me and waved. He walked in and made his way toward our table. Luhan saw Hyunseung and immediately frowned at the sight of him. 
 
I don't know why, but Luhan didn't really like Hyunseung. I don't see what makes Luhan hate him. Hyunseung is nice to him and when he's around, Hyunseung always includes him in our conversation. Hyunseung is leaning toward becoming friends with Luhan, but I don't know, Luhan seems to be pushing him away.
 
"Hey," Hyunseung said when he approached our table.
 
"Hey," I greeted him back. Luhan just nodded. Hyunseung looked at me, a gleam in his eye. 
 
"Dude, I have news," he said.
 
"Mm, spill it," I replied. 
 
"That sushi place you've been talking about is opening a week earlier than planned." he said.
 
"Wait, so that means it's opening today?!" I asked.
 
"Yesss!" Hyunseung yelled.
 
Students around us looked at us with annoyance. Hyunseung bowed in apologies. I couldn't believe it! It was finally gonna open! Hehe, I'm a huge sushi addict. That's why I'm this excited about it. But another thought crossed my mind. 
 
"Wait, I don't think I can go," I said. 
 
Hyunseung was drinking water when he heard this and unfortunately the water came spewing out of his mouth. A student from a nearby table went to go tell on us and the three of us were soon ushered out of the library. 
 
"What did you say?" Hyunseung asked as we exited the library.
 
"I don't think I can go," I repeated. I noticed Luhan smile. What's he happy about?
 
"Woahh," Hyunseung said. He stopped and put his hands on my shoulders. He stared deep into my eyes. 
 
"Are you Min Jae?" he asked. I hit his chest.
 
"Yah, of course it's me," I said. "It's just that I was thinking of finishing my song today."
 
"Wait, you mean the song for your penpal?" he said incredulously. I nodded yes. He sighed deeply.
 
"Well, then I guess I can't talk you out of it. I can't interfere with your love," he said. "Well, more sushi for me then." I laughed. Hyunseung turned to Luhan.
 
"So do you like sushi?" he asked.
 
"Nope, I'm not eating sushi with you. I barfed the last time I ate it." Luhan said. He made a move of laying his hand on his stomach, as if recalling the last time he ate sushi. 
 
"Aww that's too bad," Hyunseung said. "Hey, do you think that hot girl in math, Hyuna, likes sushi?"
 
"I don't know," I said. "Why don't you ask?"
 
"Good idea," he said. "Later. You better make up for this Jae." I waved goodbye and laughed. Luhan looked at me weirdly. 
 
"You're just gonna let him do that?" he asked. 
 
"Do what?" I asked. 
 
"Ask another girl out," he said. He was frowning at me.
 
"Wait, you think he and I are dating?" I asked. Has he been thinking that the whole time?
 
"Wait, so you guys were never dating?" he asked.
 
"Nope," I said. "Never have, never will. I only think of Hyunseung as a friend and that was as far as our relationship ever went." At my response, Luhan smiled as if he won the lottery. He picked me up and shook me hard. 
 
"Yah! Put me down!" I yelled. Although I was pretty upset, I felt my cheeks heat up. Luhan put me down. 
 
"Hehe sorry," he said. "Hey, can we go for a walk? I mean, if you don't have anything else to do. I mean, I'm not assuming that you have nothing else to do. It's just-" I agreed to his proposal before he could start sweating. 
 
"Sure, I can go for a walk," I said. He smiled and took my hand. He led me to a nearby park. He didn't let go of my hand yet. For a while, neither of us spoke yet. Luhan was the first to break the silence.
 
"What did Hyunseung mean earlier about how he shouldn't interfere with your love?" he asked. I was confused as to why he brought this up all of a sudden. Should I maybe tell Luhan about XiaoLu. No, I shouldn't.
 
"Oh, it's nothing," I said. "Hyunseung is just teasing me. He probably meant music when he said he shouldn't interfere with my love."
 
"Ohh," he said. "I know of someone who loves music as much as you do. He/she is actually a really great song writer. You two would probably get along pretty well."
 
"He/she?" I asked, a confused expression on my face.
 
"Yeah, I don't know if that person is a boy or girl. But I don't know, that person seems more like a girl than a boy. Hehe, I guess that's why I find that person cute." I noticed that Luhan was smiling. I wonder who this person is. Luhan looked to me, a smile on his face.
 
"But I find you cuter," he said.
 
I blushed and it felt like my face was on fire. Did Mr. Perfect, Mr. Popular. Mr. Adorable actually like me? I shook my head. It didn't seem possible. I don't know why, but I then thought of XiaoLu. I know it's more rational to fall for a guy at my school versus someone I write letters to. But why do I still feel so conflicted?
 
"Hehe, your face is red," Luhan said. Why did he have to point that out?! Do you realize that my face will get even more red?! I walked faster so he wouldn't be able to see me turn even more red. He quickly caught up to me.
 
"Do you have any plans for the rest of the day?" he asked. Wait, is he asking me out? Welp, it doesn't matter. I already have plans and I don't plan on changing them. 
 
"Yes," I said. "Why?"
 
"Oh," he said. "Well, I was wondering if you'd like to get sushi with me."
 
"Huh?" I said, taken aback. "I thought you said you didn't like sushi." Luhan smiled.
 
"Yeah," he said. "I lied, hehe." His face turned angry all of a sudden.
 
"I was gonna tell you that the sushi place opened," he admitted. "But Hyunseung told you before I could." I felt bad for Luhan. He wanted to surprise me, but apparently Hyunseung dropped the news on me first. I also felt really happy inside, knowing that Luhan wanted to surprise me.
 
"So," he said. "Wanna go?" He looked at me with hopeful eyes.
 
Sometimes he works aegyo on my without even trying. Hehe, and sometimes he works on aegyo on me without me even knowing it. I thought about his question. I was going to work on my song for XiaoLu, but I don't know. A huge part of me perceives this as a date and actually wants to be with Luhan right now. Hmm, I think it'll be alright if I skip working on my song. XiaoLu would understand.
 
"Ok," I said. "Let's get sushi together." 
 
Luhan stopped walking. Before I could walk any further, he put one hand on my shoulder and turned me around. He looked at me for a while. I was utterly confused and all I did was look back at him. Before I could say something, Luhan pulled me to him and locked me in a tight embrace. 
 
"Luhan," I said after a while. "I can't breathe." As innocent as he looks, he is actually really strong. He quickly let go of me to avoid suffocating me more. He smiled at me and laughed.
 
"Sorry, hehe," he said. "Let's go." I nodded as he took my hand in his.