Chapter 1

The Penpal

Dear XiaoLu,

I'm writing to you from class right now. There's a substitute teacher in History, who apparently dozed off during his lecture. Right now, students surround him, phones in hand, taking pictures of him. Apparently he has now reached the snoring and drooling stage. I'm curious, what would you have done in this situation? 

a) sit back and do your own thing (as I am doing right now)

b) take out your phone, take pics of him, and post them all over social media

c) wake up the teacher

d) something other than a, b, or c

To answer you questions from your previous letter: Yes, I am now working on a new song. No, I am not done with the song yet. Yes, you will be the first person to hear it. You must be patient little deer. *rubs your head* hehe..

- Melody

 

I finished the letter to my penpal and sealed it in an envelope. I walked to the teacher's desk and added it to the stack of letters. I realized that there was a huge smile present on my face. To make matters worse, I also realized that I was blushing. Curse you XiaoLu for making me feel this way! Lately whenever I sent a letter to him or received a letter from him, I can't help getting all happy inside. I got to be honest with myself, I'm in love with that guy. Even though he could be lying about his whole personality, a huge part of me truly believes that he is who he writes about. I walked back to my seat and finished work from another class.

"Someone looks happy," Hyunseung said. 

I looked up from my work to see Hyunseung standing next to my desk. Hyunseung and I have been friends ever since, well probably ever since we were still in our mother's stomachs. His mom and my mom were best friends ever since they were in Kindergarten and apparently, inseperable. Hyunseung and I practically grew up with each other. Pretty soon we became inseperable as well. But we've always been just friends and that was as far as our relationship went.

"Or should I say, someone looks happy again." Hyunseung said.

"Shut up oppa."

I stuck my tongue out at him. He smiled and pulled up a chair. Hyunseung was a year older than me. But despite our age difference, we're in the same grade. This just shows how much our mothers were besties, since they wanted their children to start school at the same time.

"I can't believe you fell in love with a guy and you don't even know what he looks like." he said.

"I didn't fall in love with him," I said. "I just have a little crush on him, that's all."

But as I said this, I knew that it was a huge lie. Whenever my teacher passed out the letters from our penpals, I would always shoot out of my seat when my name was called. Plus, I've realized that I've never been this inspired to compose songs. Before when I composed songs, I'd always have some difficulty coming up with lyrics. But ever since this whole penpal thing, lyrics are constantly spewing out of my head. 

"You don't even know how he looks like," Hyunseung said. "What if he's some fat guy who does nothing but eat junkfood and play video games in his mother's basement all day?"

"Yah! He is not!" I yelled. I laughed and pushed Hyunseung playfully.

"Yah, I'm just saying." he said. He smiled at me and returned to his seat.

I turned my attention to the front of the classroom where students surrounded the substitute teacher. They were giggling even louder than usual, so I went to go check what the commotion was about this time. When I approached the scene, I couldn't help bursting out in laughter. Apparently someone found some laundry clips. They tied some string to the ends of the clips and clipped them to various places on his face. 

Ahh, so this was how they were gonna wake him up. After a while of looking at his face, I went back to my seat to watch this event take place. There were seven laundry clips attached to his face. Hyunseung volunteered to count to three.

"1...2...3!" Hyunseung counted. 

On three, the seven students yanked the laundry clips off the teacher's face. The students quickly ran back to their seats so they wouldn't get caught. They quickly hid the laundry clips while they were at it. The teacher shot up from his desk and screamed out in pain. His eyes radiated complete shock. There were parts of his face that started to turn red.

The class tried their best to hold in their laughter. But ultimately, someone couldn't take it anymore. Laughter is like dominoes. For each person that laughs, they trigger another person to laugh as well. The teacher had no idea what happened. He cleared his throat as if nothing happened and continued his lecture, only for it to be interrupted by the bell. We all rushed out of class, eager to escape the school grounds. Luckily, it was the last class of the day. Otherwise, the events that took place in class a minute ago would spread like wildfire. Then by the end of the day, the story would've already reached other teachers. 

I walked home with Hyunseung, as usual. A thought crossed my mind and I decided to share it with him.

"Oppa, what if one day I met him in real life?" I wondered aloud.

"Who?" he asked. I thumped his forehead. He yelled out in pain and rubbed his forehead.

"You know who I'm talking about," I said. "My penpal."

"Ahh," Hyunseung said. "Well if you did meet him one day, then he'll have to meet me too."

"Why?" I asked.

"So I can decide if he's right for you or not." Hyunseung said. He smirked at me and took off running. He was smart to run. 

"Yah!" I yelled and ran after him. You do not decide if a guy is right for me Jang Hyunseung!