5. Investigations & Intruders

The Mechanicians [Read Chapter 6]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 5:[/CONTENTID1]​

 [CONTENTID2]
In light of the recent incident, more and more questions about the security measures arose. It can be said for sure that it definitely has nothing to do with a lack of it. The stolen item itself was protected by the latest laser system and guarded by two security cameras which were constantly watched by a team of three security guards. Not forgetting to mention the general alarm system, which goes off with the opening of the doors and the countless other cameras dispersed around the exhibition hall, one placed in front of the room of the hairpin. So how was it possible to sneak into that room undetected?

Everything is still quite a big mystery, even for the police who haven’t disclosed any information regarding the theft except for: ‘We are currently still looking into that case. We’ll inform you soon about the progress of our investigation with hopefully more concrete information and evidence.’ But added later on: ‘The only thing we can confirm right now is that this crime is committed by a group of specialists who had planned this thoroughly.’

Instead, complains against the security company whose guards were present at that time are growing louder. The three-member team in charge of that night was composed of only one experienced guard and two rookies. They are heavily criticised for their slow reaction and sloppy management of the situation last night. Insiders say that the chances of having caught at least one of the thieves could have been possible if the team would have been better prepared for such cases of emergency.

The security company has yet to make a statement about this matter.

 

 

It was a cloudy and grey day, little rain droplets fell from the sky. The traffic was slow, the car stopped in front of a red light.

The young man in the front passenger's seat furrowed his eyebrows and stared intensely at the tablet he was holding.

"You shouldn't read in cars, Mino." A girl's voice cut through the silence-filled vehicle. "It's bad for your eyesight."

"How can so much information already be published??", the said boy exclaimed, ignoring his teammate's warning. "I mean WE, in charge of this case, haven't even arrived at the crime scene yet..."

"Which news outlet is it?", the girl asked with a sigh, giving up on a lecture about reading in cars and the importance of good eyesight.

"Which one do you think it is, Yubi?". Mino turned around with raised eyebrows and looked at the girl sitting behind the driver.

"The infamous one for their spy-like information search?", the driver chuckled with a side glance at the news article, confirming his suspicions, even before the girl could open to answer.

"Dispatch", she rolled her eyes, "Of course, it's them... How much did they reveal?"
"A lot. And quite interesting stuff... It might even help us to solve the case faster!", excited Mino grabbed the tablet again, "Look! I mean listen!".

Before even one word came out of his mouth, he got interrupted by a loud yawn. The forth passenger, who kept quiet until now, slowly opened his eyes. He stretched to shake off his sleepiness and removed his headphones with another yawn.

"The cat got your tongue or why aren't you reading that article?". He lightly tapped the back of his team member's seat and grinned.

“So funny”. Mino rolled his eyes with a scoff.
"It's nice that you're also turning in, Bobby." Siwan let out a small laugh as he eyed the youngest in his team through the rear mirror.

At that moment, the light turned green and the car engine sprang to life again as the vehicle drove away.

 

 

Prior to the theft, the item made headlines as ‘the controversial hair pin’. Rumours about the legality of the acquisition of that hairpin arose since it has been said for years that it has been stolen from the former owner of that treasure, Mr. Zhou, a Chinese billionaire.

Mr. Do, who is famous for his goings-on in the underworld, is said to have used his connections to obtain the treasure from the old Chinese Empire. Do denied the reports and even published his proof: The certificate of authenticity of the hairpin, proven real by experts, which can only be obtained by the purchase of the said item. Do also claimed to have obtained the hairpin from a private deal with Mr. Yang, who himself hasn’t given any statements on this matter.

Some critics are doubting the authenticity of Mr. Do’s claims because of the long time span the item has been seen before disappearing three years ago until the reappearance these weeks.

 


A man in his forties stood at the entrance of the building, waiting. He wore a simple black suit, perfectly dressed up, but the wrinkles on his shirt proved otherwise. The man was in a clearly agitated state, pacing back and forth, from the door to the drive away. Every now and then, he took out his purple handkerchief, wiping the sweat droplets, which were forming on his forehead, away before stuffing it back into the front pocket of his suit again.
He was nervous. Impatient. Angry. But above all of that, he was desperate.
He stopped in his tracks in front of the automatic glass doors, which opened immediately to let him enter. But the man didn't have such plans, he was waiting for them to arrive.
"Seriously! How long does it take them to arrive??"

Frustrated, he ruffled his hair and kicked the dust on the floor.
The receptionists on the inside gave their boss a weird look. Who wouldn't? Hearing snippets of his monologue along with curses to no one peculiar except for himself through the open door, was ... well weird. Everybody would think he was crazy. All the employees in the main hall were nervous as well, ducking away from the door, to avoid any possible confrontation with their not-so-happy boss.

Right at that moment, a black car pulled up in the drive away. Immediately, the man scurried over to the stopping vehicle with a small relieved smile. The engine died and four doors opened. Three men and one woman, all in their early twenties, stepped out.
The driver, a quite baby-faced young man, came forward. The rest trailed behind him, obvious showing the leader of the group.
"Good morning. We're sorry for the delay, it was the traffic again", he smiled apologetic and offered his hand, "I'm lieutenant Im Siwan from the Metropolitan Crime Investigation department and my team will take care of your case. It's very nice to meet you, Mr. Do I suppose?".
The man's smile faltered but he quickly replaced it with a fake one. "You are Im Siwan? As in THE Im Siwan?! The leader of Seoul's best Crime Investigation team? The team with the highest rate of solved cases in Seoul's history? That's YOU??", he examined the frail-looking boy in front of him with a distasteful look. "You don't look like what I've expected you to look like. I mean ... You are so young...".
Siwan laughed and dropped his raised hand after seeing no intention of reciprocation from his counterpart. "Yes, I hear it a lot. These are the junior officers of my team: Bobby, Yubi and Mino."
The man glanced past the young boy at the three remaining members of the team who bowed slightly. He was immediately captured by the girl's doll-like features. She looked so delicate yet so chic in just a simple pair of dark jeans and a cream-coloured trench coat.

Yubi shifted uncomfortably under the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter