Risk It

Perfect Imperfection

RISK IT

"Save him please,"

- Park Jiah


As Jiah cried in her arms of Kyungsoo’s mum, Kyungsoo’s parents looked at each other and sighed and both shed a tear.

“It looks like it’s time…” his father said.


“Did Kyungsoo ever say that if he moves his legs too much, it could cost his life?” Kyungsoo’s father said.

“What do you mean, Mr. Do?” Jiah’s voice trembled as she tried to speak up.

“Before this, long ago when he had a car accident involving him and his parents and a big truck, he had both his legs under the truck and his bones almost shattered into pieces. Luckily, his bones were able to get treatment, but it doesn’t mean that it could be fully recovered. Ever since then, his bones are the most sensitive part of the body --,”

Mr. Do continued, “His parents died.”

Jiah’s head looked up straight to Mr. Do. “D-dead?” she cupped her hand to to stay calm upon hearing the news.

Mr. Do nodded his head.

“Then, --,”

“We’re his aunty and uncle. I’m his aunty and he’s my husband. We didn’t have any kids, maybe not yet, so we told him to call us ‘omma’ and ‘appa’ instead.” Mrs. Do said.

“But it was all fated. I really pitied him. How much he suffered. He thinks that I don’t know how much he suffered in school, but I know, I know how much pain he has to go through. I was really glad that he finally found you as a friend at first, I was really happy for him. And I was much happier when he started to keep talking to you; I know that he loves you.”

Jiah shed a tear. “I k-know, I should have taken better care of him. B-but everything really; it’s my fault.”

“No, you did well; you did perfectly fine taking care of him. Maybe; m-maybe it’s time.” Mrs. Do spoke.

“What?” Jiah wiped off her tear and looked towards the both of them.

“I don’t know this might be true, happening now, maybe now or not, that he could leave all of us soon. The doctor said to really take care of his bones, or not he could die. He could be paralysed, and then on coma or worse, dead.”

“What?” Jiah shook her head. “No, that can’t happen!”

“You need to accept the reality if that happens so please prepare yourself.” Mrs. Do said before tearing up herself.

 

Jiah stared at the ceiling, the conversation just now between her and his parents were insane. Her eyes were already red, mixture of wet tears and old tears and also sleepiness. Kyungsoo was still in ICU, and she had to go home because it was late. His parents would inform her if anything would happen.

As much as she wanted to stay there forever beside Kyungsoo, she has to go to school. Kyungsoo’s parents will directly call the school and told them about the incident and Jiah will be the witness. She has to go to school to get the report done.

Sleep, you need to sleep Jiah. You need energy for tomorrow and do justice for Kyungsoo. Jiah thought.

She listened to some music to gain calmness before she slowly, drooping her eyelids and fall asleep.

The next day Jiah was giving out the killer vibe on the way to school, having her agenda on her mind to give Kris and his gang a piece of her. But of course, not physically but mentally and emotionally. As she walked past the garden, she furrowed her brows and walked away.

Going into the class, Kris and his gang were there already. Looks like they don’t know the word ‘shame’ she guessed. Banging on someone like that yesterday, almost causing death, could still attend school the next day. No shame at all.

She walked tot her seat, giving laser glares at them, but Kris was just smirking. “Where’s your boyfriend? Is he dead or something?” he asked laughing after that.

Jiah just give a glare before settling into her seat. Her phone beeped around 11.23noon, receiving a text message from Kyungsoo’s ‘parents’ saying that they’ve met the principal and told them the whole story and right now they are still in the principle office. Jiah smirked and replied ‘ok’ before putting her phone back into her skirt.

A few seconds later, a beep from the speaker of the announcement system and everyone in the class stopped to hear. A low, angry voice of the principle spoke.

“Wu Yifan Kris and gang of class 3-1 please come to my office now! Park Jiah also of class 3-1 please come to my office for your report. Kris and gang don’t try to run away and come this instant! I have sent a few teachers so you don’t try to fool around, understand?!”

The class was shocked to hear the principle sounded so furious as if he planning to burn the school down. They were all whispering to one another and keep glancing towards Kris and his gang and also Jiah. They would understand if Kris and his gang were to get called to the principal’s office if he did anything wrong, but this time, it was as if it is going to be the last day everyone will see Kris and his gang.

“And Kris and gang, bring your bags, too.” The principal said again before leaving a beep. Everyone was dazed after what happened.

The teacher in front shook her head and asked them to get out to the principal office. By then, three teachers were outside the classroom. Kris and his gang gave out a give up sigh and packed their bags.

.

.

.

“All of you are expelled from this school, understand?!” the principal roared and slammed his hand on his table.

Jiah smirked in victory.

The gang’s parents were there also and they had their most disappointed faces.

“And because of their doings, Student Do Kyungsoo had the most serious injuries and it almost killed him. Or not, he might be dying right now.”

Jiah shed a tear upon hearing the principal’s words. She didn’t want Kyungsoo to leave.

How much Kris and his gang’s parents begged, the decision is confirmed.

Jiah was standing beside Kyungsoo’s ‘parents’ and suddenly Kyungsoo’s father phone rang. He picked up the call and a worried face appeared.

“Kyungsoo’s in critical condition… the doctor needs explain us something.” Mr. Do’s voice echoed in the room.

“We need to go to the hospital now. Excuse us,” Mr. Do said.

Jiah walked up to Kris and spoke with her tears in her eyes, “If – if, he dies, it’s your entire fault! I’ll call you a murderer!” she walks away with her tears, catching up with Kyungsoo’s parents.

The doctor’s explanation made Jiah’s feet wobbly and she felt as if she want to faint. She sat on a chair outside the doctor’s office waiting for Kyungsoo’s parents to come out, with a blank face.

“His feet are making him in critical condition. He won’t last long. But, there is one way. The only last way for us to save him, if you agree.”

“W-what other way?” Ms. Do sniffed.

“We need to send him over to the U.S for a surgery. The surgery is very risky, only a few did this surgery, 90% of them died even if the surgery is successful. Do you want to risk this?”

“I—I don’t know… Kyungsoo’s parents please decide…” Jiah sobbed.

“We’ll take that offer.”

Jiah waited for them to come out and let them sign some papers.

 

As soon they comes out, Jiah hugged Ms. Do tightly.

“Everything will be alright,” she patted her hear. “Cry it out, Jiah.”