You've Changed So Much...

Your Dream

I couldn’t believe it. After all of these years of not seeing him and having absolutely no contact with him, here he is, more different than ever, yet still very similar. We held eye contact and my heartbeat raced in a way I didn’t think possible.

 

However, my surprised expression was quickly replaced with one of disbelief. His deep voice asked me, “How do you know me? Are you a fan?”

 

He didn’t remember me…

 

“I’m _________. I was technically a friend of yours when we were younger,” I said, a hint of desperation coating my voice. He furrowed his eyebrows and held his chin, shaking his head after a few seconds of thinking. He said, “I don’t know anyone by the name of ___________. However, Himchan talks about you quite a lot.” His deep voice resonated within me, reminding me of his cruel words only seconds after he said them. Himchan and Daehyun stood there awkwardly, not sure of what to do.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry, I must’ve confused you with someone else,” I said, biting my lip in pure embarrassment, lowering my gaze to the floor. Himchan held my hand, tugging me a bit towards him, “Is everything alright?” he whispered. Daehyun patted Yongguk’s arm, signaling he was going to take a break.

 

“I’m fine. I’m just embarrassed. I’m going to go home alright?” I said, looking up at him. Himchan nodded and smiled, “Alright. I’ll introduce you to Zelo some other time. It was his day off today and he didn’t come in.” “Of course. It was nice meeting you Yongguk. Goodbye Himchan,” I said bowing slightly, making my way out of the building. I couldn’t believe it…

 

I had just returned to Korea after visiting Taiwan for a month over the summer break during my grade school years. The taxi had left us in front of our house. While my mom paid, I noticed someone sitting on our doorstep, hugging their knees with their head buried in them.

 

“Mommy, I’m going to go see who is outside our home,” I told her. She nodded and calculated the money, then opened the door for me to get out. I hopped out of the car onto the street. Our street wasn’t very busy during the summertime and we didn’t question why.

 

“Hey! Are you lost?” I asked, not wanting to approach a random kid. His head quickly shot up and his eyes brightened immediately. It was Yongguk! He quickly darted over to me and hugged me tightly, “Don’t ever leave me alone again ________!” he exclaimed, burying his head into my shoulder.

 

I laughed a bit, “You didn’t forget me!” He pulled away from the hug, holding my tiny shoulders, as he was a bit taller than me. His brown orbs looked into mine and he frowned, “I would never forget my best friend. Ever! Even when I’m all wrinkly and old!” I laughed brightly, “Gross!” He joined me in laughter.

 

Once I arrived at my home, my phone went off, signaling a new text. I frowned and opened up the text:

 

“Hey, I hope you’re feeling alright. Do you want to meet me tomorrow at your coffee shop?”

 

I closed my phone and removed my coat and went to my bed, laying there and staring at my ceiling. I know my eyes weren’t deceiving me, that male in the studio was Yongguk. It had to be, I had seen him countless times on the television and he looked just like the kid I spent everyday with when I was younger. Why didn’t he remember me? Had training distracted him enough to forget me? People just don’t forget their best friends. At least I didn’t.  

 

~ Bang Yongguk’s P.O.V~

 

I couldn’t believe it. After all of these years, there she was, standing there looking at me, wanting me to remember all of those good times we spent as kids. But I just couldn’t. Himchan talked about this girl he had met in a coffee shop and of course, as leader, I mentioned the dangers of meeting outside of the Entertainment, but he continued texting her and wanting to meet her often. I was curious about who she was, and it just so happened to be __________.

 

I put a dagger in my own heart as my words left my mouth, telling her I didn’t remember her. How could I not remember her? She was the person who would always make me smile. However, she wasn’t mine anymore. She was never mine to begin with, but I wanted her to be. It seemed that now, we couldn’t go back to the way we were. Himchan had somewhat of an interest in her and now it was impossible. I just wanted to hold her and tell her everything that had happened from the day I pushed her away to today and how I regretted it.

 

“Yongguk…” Himchan said, putting a hand on my shoulder. I turned and looked up at him from my seat at the mixing station. I hadn’t moved from my position since she’d left. “Do you really not know her?” he asked, pursing his lips together. I chuckled a bit and ruffled my hair, shaking my head, “No. I don’t. Just don’t play with her, she seems nice.” That hurt more to say than I’d ever imagine. I couldn’t bear it anymore.

 

“Nah, I wouldn’t do that to her. She seems so closed off and awkward. It gives her an odd charm. She looks like she’s been hurt before. I just want to be there for her, y’know?” he explained. My heart started beating fast. I became angry, but I didn’t let that show, and put on a stoic expression, “Of course, just don’t let the CEO know. I’m going out for a walk, I need inspiration for this new song.”

 

I quickly grabbed my coat and my beanie and white surgical mask, throwing everything on and heading out. The cold air welcomed me once I stepped outside.

 

“You’ve changed so much ___________...”