You're Not Going To Ask Who I Am?

Your Dream

“Are you busy today?”

“Yeah. I’m a trainee, I need to practice my singing and dancing if I’m ever going to get to the big stage y’know.”

 

I remember that conversation as if it was yesterday and I was 16 all over again with that horrible bowl haircut I called stylish. My lanky body was still in development and I was there in a giant pink overcoat on a cold afternoon afterschool.

 

It was wintertime and it had snowed earlier in the morning. The white snow covered the streets and rarely any cars were out at the moment, due to the snow and that the workers weren’t out yet. My brown eyes watched as the young male had left me to go practice just like every other day. His body walked away from me quickly, taking brisk steps to make it to the TS Entertainment building in time for his daily practice. I frowned and decided to walk home. I didn’t know what would make that day any different from any other now that I think about it. He always went to practice, not that he should skip, but I felt like I didn’t know him anymore.

 

I was lucky I got to see him in school and we sometimes ate together. But I didn’t understand when I was younger; I thought he was just pushing me away to spend time with his other trainees. They were going to debut soon, but not as soon as we both thought.

 

After that, I decided never to bother to ask him to do anything with me, nor did I contact him the way I used to. We used to be best friends when we were younger, before he became a trainee under TS Entertainment. We hung out in each other’s homes, playing some video games and even did homework, that’s how often we saw each other. However, I respected that this was his dream, and in order to achieve it, he had to train.

 

It’s been about 5 years and B.A.P has debuted. I couldn’t be more proud of him as I watched him from the comfort of my home on my television. I saw his gummy smile and immediately went down memory lane, but shook my head to somehow ‘shake’ the memory away. Yet, I couldn’t help but stare at the TV screen and wallow in melancholy. I won’t lie and say I’m not proud of my old best friend, but I missed him greatly. His appearance was a bit different; he was obviously manlier, his hair was blonde now and his clothing style had also changed. He even wore guy liner, which I could never imagine years ago, but there he is, on a variety show, with guy liner.

 

“You did it Gukkie,” I said to no one, smiling a bit as he talked about the debut song ‘Warrior’.

 

As much as I wanted to stay inside and just go down memory lane, I wanted some coffee. So I shut off the TV and decided to brace myself to meet the cold snowy weather outside to get a latte in a small coffee shop.

 

I threw on a scarf and a heavy coat, locking the door behind me. I adjusted my headsets and listened to the local radio station and made my way to the small and modest coffee shop, the bell on the door jingled as I entered.

 

“Hello ________~” the cashier waved at me once I entered. I smiled and bowed my head a bit, “Hi Min Jongi.” I come to this shop often since it’s almost never full, but today, business seems to be a bit livelier, but not overbearing. “The regular?” Min Jong asked, his bubbly personality making me smile a bit. “Yes please,” I said, claiming my regular seat, the last booth in the corner of the store. I removed my headsets and put them on the table, waiting for my order.

 

I looked outside as it started snowing again. I frowned and sighed, putting my chin in my hand as I waited for my order.

 

“Don’t you look sad,” Min Jong said, sitting across from me and giving me my vanilla latte hinted with some cinnamon. I shook my head, assuring him I didn’t feel any sort of sadness, “I’m not sad, I just hate the winter time.” “Aw! Why? Its super pretty outside, you just can’t feel it. It kind of resembles you ________” he said, grinning widely at me.

 

Min Jong was about my age, but still had innocence to his personality. I told him almost all the time to let no one change him because he’s literally precious. He had dark hair that was always styled in a messy ponytail, although his hair wasn’t too long as it barely touched his shoulders. He was super tall compared to me. I was merely 161.5 cm, he was about 180 cm tall. His smile was very bright, resembling his personality. I could never imagine him angry to be honest.

 

“Don’t be silly, I don’t resemble the winter time,” I chuckled softly, sipping my latte when the drink was a bit cooler, I didn’t want to give myself third degree burns on the roof of my mouth. “You do!” he whined, pouting his lips a bit. “You’re very pretty on the outside, but you’re also very cold so no one wants to go and enjoy you, so we all admire you from afar,” he nodded. I huffed and pushed my brown waist length hair behind my ear, attempting to make a joke, “No, I just have chronic serious face.”

 

He was about to make a witty comeback, I could feel it, but the jingling of the door signaled that he had to return to his post at the cash register for a few minutes. I paid no attention to whoever came in and just focused on my coffee. The world around me never interested me much, which worried my mother a bit when I was younger. She always told me to be wary of my surroundings, as I might be kidnapped by being so absentminded.

 

However, this stranger ordered an Americano. I furrowed my eyebrows; I didn’t know that they made Americanos here. Maybe I just don’t notice the menu much or it’s changes. I continued looking outside and sipping my latte slowly to enjoy the temporary warmth it gave me.

 

A tap on my slender shoulder ruined my peaceful moment. I turned to look at the source, thinking it would be Min Jong, but it wasn’t. It was a blonde haired male with sunglasses on, a thin nose and small lips. He reminded me of someone in B.A.P, but I wouldn’t dare ask.

 

“Can I sit here? There’s nowhere else to sit,” he asked politely. I looked around to make sure there was validation to his statement. I didn’t notice how packed the coffee shop got since I got here. I looked up at him and nodded, moving my latte closer to me. He slid into the booth and almost immediately took out his cellphone and started texting his life away. I expected it to be this way. Why would this situation be any other way? Strangers almost never make small talk, unless they were elderly. I resumed looking outside, almost giving the world a blank stare. I think some strangers outside were a bit weirded out if they walked by and saw me just staring.  

 

Min Jong returned with blondie’s order and he thanked him silently, quickly sipping his drink. “You’re not going to ask who I am? Or why I’m wearing sunglasses indoors?” he asked, almost cockily. I brought my attention to him and shrugged, “I don’t see why I should. You only asked to sit here.” “Ouch. Aren’t you nice…At least tell me what your name is.” My gaze stayed on his face, trying to look through those sunglasses. “_________” I said. “Nice to meet you _________, I’m Himchan,” he said smirking. Internally, I was freaking out. He knows Yongguk! And he’s talking to me! But I don’t want to freak out and show him how much of a fan girl lookalike I could be. I was into their music, but not crazy in love with the whole group like most of the women and young girls are.

 

“Pleasure to meet you Himchan,” I said, grabbing my mug and slowly moving it in a circle so the coffee would accumulate all of the remaining sugar at the bottom. He sighed loudly, “Oh c’mon! That’s not the reaction I’d thought you’d have!” he said, exasperated by my behavior. I laughed a bit, covering my smile slightly. “Do you know where I’m from?” he asked, a bit quieter than before. I decided to stop pulling his leg and I nodded. “So you know…? But you’re not freaking out, I don’t understand,” he tilted his head in confusion. “Not everyone is obsessed with you guys you know. Sure you’re successful but for now, that’s all everyone sees,” I explained, finishing up my latte.

 

“It was nice meeting you Himchan,” I said, putting on my coat and zipping it up. “Wait…” he said, reaching over the table and holding my wrist. I thought this only happened in dramas. I was shocked, my brown eyes had gone wide. This skinship was not ordinary for me. “Can I at least have your number?” he asked. I relaxed a bit and nodded, “I see why not.” Idols were busy, so they can’t text a whole lot right? Besides, it’s not like he’d remember me out of all of the other connections he has.