Don't You Have Other People To Text?

Your Dream

Bzzzt!

Bzzzt!

Bzzzt!

 

I groaned, trying to read my book in peace, but my phone continued to go off. I was completely wrong about Himchan; he had WAY too much time on his hands. He repeatedly texted me throughout the day, asking how I was doing, then telling me about some promos he did, some photo-shoots here and there and of course practicing for concerts. I’ve pretty much have their schedule on my phone for everyday. And whenever he wasn’t texting me, he was sending selfies. Nowadays, I shut off my phone because it just vibrates so much.

 

I was never a social person when it comes to social media, including texting. Sure, I call my mom every once in a while because I want to let her know how I am, because she gets worried. But I’ve never received so many texts in my life until this past two weeks. My phone bill was going to go through the roof! Since we both had iPhones, he could tell if I read it or not, and as of late, I haven’t read any.

 

Bracing myself, I grabbed my phone and punched in the four digits to unlock it.

 

100+ Messages…

 

I sighed, tapping his name and going back to read from the top. I felt a twinge of guilt because he’s made so much effort to stay in contact with me, but I just couldn’t text as often as he did. It was foreign and weird to me to text that often. Of course, I did text back in the beginning, but I grew tired of texting back.

 

“Good morning ______!”

“We have a photo-shoot today! Wish me luck (although we both know I’m the most handsome B.A.P member)”

“_________! Why won’t you text me back?”

“I’m on my way to an interview~ Turn on your TV and watch alright?”

 

Among the hundreds of text messages, I was brought back down to the more recent ones and I saw the text bubble. Then I received the message:

 

“I want to see you today. I know you don’t really respond, but I do want to meet up again! Maybe you’ll talk more in person so I can get to know you”

 

Should I go? I have nothing else to do today anyway aside from read my novel Memoirs of A Geisha. I clicked away at the screen keyboard and pressed send.

 

“Sure. Where should I meet you?”

 

~~~

 

We had decided to meet at a different coffee shop in Seoul, it was a bit larger than the one I like to go to, but I had to accommodate the avid texter and his work schedule considering he could only meet me for a few minutes. I entered the shop and was greeted by the cashier. I automatically greeted her back and looked at the menu, settling for a vanilla latte.

 

I looked around the coffee shop and took a seat by the large window once I had my coffee. It was very homey and the comforting aroma of coffee filled the shop. Round white tables and booths surrounded the front of the shop and the cash register line was near the back. There was a medium size display area for the small pastries and bread on the right of the cash register area.

 

I saw a male enter the coffee shop with a white hood on and a black surgical mask on, a matching black hat, along with a dark pair of sunglasses. I automatically assumed it was Himchan because he looked at me and quickly went to order his coffee.

 

As he made his way over to my table, he pulled down the surgical mask and removed his glasses, but kept his hood on. “You pick the best places to sit you know,” he said, flashing a bright smile at me.

 

I felt flustered, but I wouldn’t let that show. His smile was really a sight to see. This was the first time I saw his face in person and he appeared better in person than on the TV screen or in any picture. He had no flaws on his complexion and his teeth were virtually perfect and were pearly white. His eyes were chocolate brown and had a twinkle in them.

 

I blinked a few times as if to check to see if I was looking at the right person. It was then that I realized that I was really talking to an idol. I suddenly felt my stomach do flips, not because I liked the way he looked, but because he was so popular in the media that I felt a bit unworthy. Of course, my brain reminded me that he was a regular person just like I was, so I didn’t worry too much.

 

“Thank you,” I said, sipping my latte. “Vanilla again?” he asked, teasing my choice in coffee. I frowned and eyed the coffee in his hand, “Well I could ask you the same question. You got Americano again.” He laughed slightly, but not too loud. He was trying really hard to blend into the general public to spend time with me, which kind of flattered me, but also had me question why.

 

“You text me so much. Don’t you have other people to text?” I asked abruptly. He seemed a bit taken back and took a gulp of his drink. “Not really. I have my other members but I see them everyday, so there’s not much to talk to them about. With you however, you don’t know about my day or what I’m going to eat later so it’s easier to text you. Everyone else pretty much knows my schedule,” he explained, looking right at me.

 

His explanation did make a bit of sense, but doesn’t he have any other friends? I decided not to ask, and just keep my imagination running for answers. “Why don’t you text me back?” he asked, repeating the same question from one of his former texts. I cracked a small smile, “Well, I’m not good at it. So I don’t do it often.” “I see,” he said, staying silent for a bit, then checking his phone and quickly typing a message to someone.

 

“I have to go now, but it was nice seeing you again. You even smiled a bit this time!” he exclaimed, putting on his mask and his sunglasses. I looked at my latte, refusing to look at him due to embarrassment. He chuckled a bit, gaining my attention. “I want you to come with me to practice one day, whenever you’re not busy.” I froze in my seat. I’d be able to see Yongguk. How would he react? How would I react?

 

“I’m on winter break. I’m free anytime,” I managed to say, looking up at him. He grinned under his mask, his cheeks giving his smile away, “Perfect! I’ll meet you in front of this coffee shop tomorrow at 12. Don’t be late _________!” And with that, he walked out.

 

I stayed in the coffee shop, my latte half gone and my brain all over the place. How would I react to seeing him again? Would he even remember me?

 

We’re two completely different people now. He was an idol and I was an average college student. I wasn’t that bubbly young girl with a bowl haircut anymore. I’ve become more of an introvert and my dark hair had grown to my waist. I wore a bit of makeup, whereas back then I hated the idea of pencils near my eyes.

 

He was a rapper, and his voice had matured greatly. He danced and sometimes sang. He wore clothes that were either perfect fitting or baggy depending on the day and on the fans. But his smile had never changed. While he used to be an introvert, he’s now an extrovert.

 

I had finished my latte and put on my coat shortly after, walking in this cold winter afternoon. I took quick steps to make it home as soon as possible because of the freezing temperature outside. But one thing never left my mind for the remainder of the day.

 

I was going to see Bang Yongguk again…