Yang Hyun Jin

[HIATUS] Defle(x)tion

Chapter 24

 

It was an understatement to say that he's living an easy life; wealth, power and youth. At the age of 26, he was already a successful businessman, holding the position of vice president in his family's company. The most crucial fact was that he worked blood and tears from the bottom to where he was now without any help from his family. He acquired the vice president seat through his sheer effort and persistence. He's the major shareholder of the company and he even invested into building his own, separate from his family's. He was admirable and respected by many in the field and to add to his image, he frequented volunteer work. Only a few knew of another reason why he did volunteer work; Park Hye Gi. He had given up on her when she announced her engagement but he remained her best friend and a reliable oppa. To be quite honest, he grew fond of volunteering and it kept himself humble and down-to-earth and level-headed. If there's anything he would do, it's helping others going through hard time and supporting them.

 

At the news of his best friend passing yesterday, he had not come to work for the whole day. He was full of thoughts on how to arrange the funeral because she had no family and he did grow up with her, even though it was a short time. When he found out that her death is not accidental or anything of that sort, he figured that sooner or later he would be visited by the police - or in this case, detectives - for investigation. He himself admitted that he fits the bill and supposedly had a motive to kill her: a jealous childhood friend who got rejected and rage made him took the life of his beloved. Tragic.

 

"Please, have a seat. I'm Yang Hyun Jin, or as what most people call me, Jin."

 

"Jin-ssi, I assume that you know why we're here."

 

"Yes, it's about Hye-Gi's passing."

 

"Her time of death was said to be around three to four in the morning yesterday. Where were you during that time frame?"

 

"I was in my office at home. Working."

 

"No one else was home?"

 

"The  house helper ahjumma saw me before she went home. I believe it was at one and I didn't go out. You could check the CCTV," he said as he took a sip of his Americano.

 

"Jin-ssi, have you seen Hye-Gi's ring after the engagement was cancelled?"

 

A pained look crossed his eyes at the mention of the ring but it quickly disappeared as he spoke up.

 

"I've never seen her wearing the ring after the cancellation. I had thought that she gave it back to her ex."

 

"I see."

 

"I'm sorry but did you ever visit her at her house lately?"

 

"She invited me over last week, together with a few of our friends but she cancelled on us. I never did find out why."

 

"Did you know about her panic attacks?"

 

"Yes. She always try to hide it but it got worse and her medication just gets stronger every time. She was getting better but then the engagement cancellation happened. I'm sure you've heard it all from her doctor."

 

"Jin-ssi, did you do a major or minor in science course?"

 

He was taken aback by the seemingly random question posed by Amber but answered nonetheless.

 

"I majored in both business and accounting. It's my passion and I've never took any interest in science."

 

With that answer, the two detectives excused themselves and didn't forget to thank him for his co-operation and gave their condolences. Losing someone to death was never easy and one simply do not get used to it. One might need to carry the pain throughout their lives even when they have moved on.

 

f(x)

 

Since Victoria had a lunch appointment with Zhoumi, Amber dropped her off at the restaurant and went to the café where she'll buy lunch for both her and Sulli. She had called her earlier but the latter didn't pick up so Amber assumed that her lazy dongsaeng was still sleeping at this hour. She chuckled to herself and decided that she will surprise her with lunch at their apartment; her favorite omelet and chocolate bread for her sweet tooth. Just thinking of her surprised expression made her smile and she added in cinnamon rolls into her lunch menu.

 

"You're alone today?"

 

"Yep! I was supposed to have lunch here with my sister. Too bad she chose sleep over me," Amber shrugged.

 

Since Amber had frequented at the café, she had become friendly with most of the barista. They had small talks and one day they just became friends. That's how Amber is as a person; a social butterfly who easily make friends out of a stranger.

 

The barista laughed at her response and input her order into the system.

 

"Take-out I suppose. Poor you."

 

"I'll come by next time with her. I'm sure she misses this place."

 

"I'll look forward to it then," the barista answered as she handed over Amber's lunch.

 

"See ya!"

 

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

"As you had expected, I found listening devices and as a precaution, I ran a security test on your computers and found out that someone used keystroke logging on them. I've neutralized everything… hopefully."

 

"We're against someone formidable. How is it possible that someone entered the Special Unit office unnoticed?"

 

"From what I observed, it must be a pro. The listening devices are not the ones sold at your local store and it's very complex. I don't want to be suggest this but there's a possibility of a mole."

 

"I see. I would like a full report on the matter. Remember, need-to-know only."

 

"Roger! It'll be on your desk by tomorrow morning."

 

Zhoumi ended the call just in time to see his old partner arrived at their table. He smiled at her and gestured for her to have a seat across of him and pushed a glass of iced water to her. She acknowledged the drink and took a hearty sip before returning her attention back at the man in front of her.

 

"I've ordered our food. Chicken panini and iced Americano for you."

 

"Thanks, Zhoumi. So what's going on?"

 

"Nothing gets past you. As always."

 

"We've been together for years. I'll know if you kept something from me."

 

"I was expecting it but shall we eat first? Don't want the food to get cold," Zhoumi suggested.

 

Victoria scrunched her eyebrows together but she had no idea what Zhoumi will tell her and from the concentrated and serious look he had when he was on the phone, she was sure that there's more than what meets the eye. For now, she had accepted Zhoumi's suggestion and bite into her chicken panini.

 

"Is it good?"

 

"Hmm, very! So delicious, I might start going here more frequently," Victoria hummed happily.

 

"I've chosen the right place then."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Starting from today, I'll take you to lunch every week."