Having a glass

[HIATUS] Defle(x)tion

Chapter 21

 

 

Amber made another phone call but this time, she called Ailee. Amber hadn’t gone through the victim’s place thoroughly because she had thought that the ring would be with the ex-fiancé. If there’s anything that the victim held dearly, Amber had guessed that it would be her engagement ring because getting engaged was a big step for someone who had lost her cherished person. Such person would usually hesitate to be in a committed relationship as they were afraid of getting hurt but she had daringly stepped out of her shell – although she did end up breaking off the engagement.

“Did they find it?”

“No sign of any ring. Maybe she threw it away?”

“It’s unlikely. If it’s not there, then she must have kept it elsewhere or someone took it,” Amber theorized.

“The CSU team didn’t find any other key besides the house key and car key. You’ll find better luck talking to the volunteers.”

“Victoria-unnie said it’s already late. We’ll leave the interview for tomorrow. Are you still in your office?”

“I’m planning to go home after this, why?”

“I need a glass. Just one hour.”

“What time?”

“As soon as you can. I’m at HQ.”

“Will do.”

“Thanks Amy.”

Ailee looked at her computer monitor where she had been working on her autopsy report and she was barely half way through. She saved the document and packed her stuff, jotting down a note for her colleague saying that she had a ‘family emergency’. She bought cans of coffee for them and pinned the note underneath but she still feel apologetic so she left two ₩10,000 notes with the coffee. She grabbed her car keys and headed towards the underground parking lot to fetch her car.

 

Defle(x)tion

 

Victoria was still working on the case when Amber had asked to be excused for she had something to do and Victoria let her go without any questions asked. She had received the text from Sulli and noted that Amber might have mentioned her encounter with Seul Hee because of how Amber’s acting. She reassured Sulli that she will look after Amber and make sure she gets rest for the night, telling her a white lie. She logged on to the HQ database and accessed a Level 4 file which can only be viewed by entering a password combination.

 

Username: VS0202

Password: **********

 

ACCESS GRANTED

 

Mission Details:

Subject to go undercover as a high school teacher.

Subject withheld from mission content for a month and focused on blending in.

Subject succeeded in activating her ability.

Subject told to monitor the students for any exceptional individuals in which they would be offered to study at the Academy or if rejected, their memories regarding the matter will be erased.

Subject involved in an incident involving a civilian.

Subject recuperating for three months and was suspended from duty until full recovery.

Subject appointed as VS partner

 

Victoria let her mouse pointer hovering on the second last statement and hesitated whether to read the full report because she felt that it was an invasion of privacy, even though she was the one who suggested Amber for the mission. She hadn’t expected that the seemingly harmless mission could pose some danger to the ‘subject’, let alone a civilian. In the end, Victoria took the responsibility for the mission and was demoted to her current position. Replacing her was Zhoumi, who declined it at first but Victoria persuaded him to take on the position because he’s an excellent candidate and told him that he shouldn’t reject it because of her. Zhoumi lost the argument and became her superior ever since.

Victoria decided not to click on the article and signed off from the HQ database so she could continue her work from before. It occurred to her that by secretly reading the content, she will be betraying Amber’s trust even if she meant well. Today might not be the day but someday, Amber will open up to her and when the day comes, Victoria will be there to listen.

 

Defle(x)tion

 

It was unusual for Amber to readily have a glass of alcoholic beverage because she gets drunk after only a shot. It wasn’t much of an enjoyment to her but a way to empty her mind of thoughts while remaining conscious. She was always looking for logic behind everything and she got stressed out and drained because of that so once in a blue moon, she’ll call out her best buddy to have a drink. When it happened, there will only be two of them so it won’t be too hectic and she won’t have to listen to her drunkard friends’ complaints.

“I’ll have half a shot of the strongest one you have,” Amber told the bartender, who proceeded on mixing the drinks.

“Any non-alcoholic drink for me,” Ailee ordered.

They sat on the stool at the countertop, far away from curious ears, and they sat in silence for a whole five minutes after they were served their drinks. Amber finished her half shot, her eyes already looking bleary when the alcohol kicks in and Ailee watched over her with worry all over her face. Amber didn’t say a word and just sat there, almost like day-dreaming and Ailee didn’t try to start a conversation because she didn’t want to take advantage of her. Whenever she got drunk, Amber only listened to whatever was said and if she was instructed to do something, no matter how embarrassing, she would do as she was told. You could say that her drunken state was the rare time you would see Amber’s vulnerable side.

“A Strawberry Crush from the fine lad over the VIP area,” the bartender served.

Ailee directed her attention to see who had bought her the drink and flinched at the sight of him smoking a cigar, surrounded by female hosts. She pushed the drink back to the bartender to decline and turned to Amber who was awfully quiet.

“Let’s get you back home,” Ailee told Amber.

A firm hold on her arm stopped her from pulling Amber up on her feet and Ailee could smell the unpleasant scent of smoke from the owner of the hand. She struggled to release her hand from the grip to no avail because of the man’s well-built physique.

 “Don’t you like the gift? Leave your puny friend there and have fun with me.”

“Let me go!”

One second, he’s overpowering Ailee. The next second, he’s draped over the counter with his lips cut. Amber was standing protectively in front of Ailee, not in the least sober. The man stood back up, his pride wounded, charged at Amber to bring her down. With an opponent twice your size, you would usually evade the attack but Amber did nothing and received the full brunt of the attack, making her kneel to the ground.

“You’ll pay for this,” the man pointed to his injured lips.

“Please stop. Do not make a ruckus in here,” the bartender tried stopping him.

Amber stood on her feet, swaying slightly as she felt disorientated but remained rooted to the ground. She had a Cheshire grin on her face as she cracked her knuckles, readying herself for a fight. The man took the challenge and took off his outer coat. The other customers steered away from the fight so they won’t get caught up in it while a few others mingled close by so they could watch as the fracas unfold. Ailee backed away to the wall as she kept an eye on Amber so she wouldn’t do anything foolish – although getting in the fight at the first place was a stupid move, even if it’s to protect her.

“The first one to land a hit wins. Loser will stand down,” the man proposed.

Amber didn’t say anything partly because she was still not in her right mind, a.k.a drunk, but nodded at the terms. The bartender, who was initially trying to stop the fight, had involuntarily become the referee for the impromptu duel.

1.2.3

Hasty to win, the man charged forward, again, to tackle down Amber but her moves were light like a ballerina’s. From one spot, she slid to another with her flexibility and managed to get to the man’s blind spot but making use of his built, he spun and tried to elbow her head. In the last second, she ducked to save herself and extended one of her leg to trip the big guy. Unable to jump shortly after landing on his feet, he tripped and was brought face-down to the ground. The bartender concluded the match, giving the win to Amber.

Before the man could get up, Ailee took the chance to grab Amber by the arm and dragged her out of the bar to avoid any more trouble. Since the man lost, Ailee had thought that it’s only fair that he paid for the drinks they had earlier. She had only realized after they reached the car that Amber was in pain because of the blow she received to her abdomen. She drove to the nearest drugstore she could find in the neighborhood and bought over-the-counter painkillers, ointment creams and if needed, bandages.

Ailee brought Amber to her apartment and treated her wherever necessary to make sure she won’t feel much pain the next day, wondering how she got injured. When she finished with the treatment, she let Amber sleep on her bed while she went to sleep at the guest room. Her phone beeped just as she was about to check in with her colleagues about the case.

Ailee-shi, thanks for taking care of Amber

                                             -Victoria