Autopsy, Lunch, Encounter

[HIATUS] Defle(x)tion

Chapter 17

 

 

Ailee was finishing up her autopsy on the victim and noted that the heart was slightly thicker on the left side – a lot thicker than expected in normal healthy adult – and it was usually a sign of overexerting the heart. She noted it in her autopsy report and wrote that it may be because the nature of her job-slash-hobby. She had sent over a hair sample of the victim after the call with Amber and the results arrived just in time as the two detectives showed up in the autopsy room.

 

“I’ve got the results of the hair analysis right here.”

 

“So what’d it say?”

 

“It turned out that she started to take in Lexapro a year ago but no signs of the other two ever in her system. Either someone else was using it or it was planted there so it would look like a suicide.”

 

“The meds and the antifreeze are over in the lab for testing. So is there anything else from the victim’s body?”

 

“There were bruises but they were the least of our concern since they’re normal for athletes. There’s bone remodeling of sprained ankles, fractured shin bone, cracked knee cap and others but nothing suspicious. She was a representation of a healthy adult.”

 

“Not if you count in her mental health.”

 

“I checked into her health record and she did have an appointment with a Dr. Kim every Tuesday at 2 o’clock. I suggest you go and meet him,” Ailee told them as she looked into her computer screen.

 

“Got an address?”

 

“Community Hospital, Yongsan-gu, Seoul.”

 

“Let us know if you have any updates.”

 

The two detectives went back to their office and ate what was left of their cold croissants before digging in to their cheesecakes for a quick lunch. Victoria looked into her phone and was reminded of a training session with Luna after lunch today. She didn’t know how to bring it up to Amber that she had to go see the doctor alone seeing that Luna was nearing her reinstatement and thus the training was important.

 

“Go ahead, Vic-unnie. You told me about that session days ago and I’m okay with it. Send Luna my regards,” Amber urged.

 

“Your senses are getting sharper. How’d you know that I wasn’t worried about the case but of Luna?”

 

“Easy, you stared your phone for a long time and that happens only when you got reminded of what you had forgotten. Besides, I’m a detective. I notice things, Amber said smugly.

 

“Right detective. I’ll be back as soon as the session ends. Be careful out there.”

 

“I will. Take care of Luna.”

 

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

 

It was lunchtime and Luna figured that she should fix something to eat and for two. Although the session commence after lunch, she wouldn’t feel right if she didn’t cook something for Victoria to eat especially since she was sure that the former won’t be eating properly. Not when she had a murder case to solve. Luna saw the news this morning about the pro-cyclist and she had seen both her mentors in the TV screen giving ‘no comment’ to the reporters.

 

Being a detective she was – despite being suspended – she researched into the dead victim and came up with the same findings as Amber’s about the ex-fiancé. However, Luna focused into the recent news of the victim and saw one that popped amongst the rest: Hye-Gi, pro-cyclist, to retire? Her eyes scanned through the article in a speed of light and was surprised by the contents and decided to print it out. She had set it aside and pinned it down with a weight at the kitchen counter. She thought that Victoria and Amber might have known of the article but there’s nothing wrong for another set of eyes to look into the matter. She might’ve been suspended but that didn’t mean she can’t do research.

 

It was just a little after half past one when her doorbell rang and she kept the fire on the stove down so the food won’t burn while she get to the door. Just as she thought, Victoria was on the other side of the door with a paper bag of churros. Luna invited her in and returned back to her position in front of the stove, stirring her stew.

 

“I’ll have it out in a few minutes. Vic-unnie, can you set the table for me?”

 

“Sure, it smells delicious.”

 

“The store was having a sale on meats and potatoes so I figured I could make stews. I even make extras so you could bring it back to HQ for the team,” Luna offered as  she took a sip of the broth.

 

“That’s a good idea. Do they still have that sale?”

 

“It’s an all-day sale. If you want, I can buy some for you. With the case, you’d be busy.”

 

“I appreciate it. The money’s on the counter. Is this..?”

 

“Oh! I was researching. It’s a pity that she wanted to retire so early.”

 

“She’s retiring? We didn’t find anything about it at other sites,” Victoria questioned.

 

“It’s in her official website. Her ex-fiancé created it for her and she had been making entries into the site since then.”

 

“Looks like you just get us a new lead to chase down. I’ll send a photo of this to Amber.”

 

“When you’re ready, come over to the table. The stew’s done.”

 

Victoria snapped a picture of the printed article and sent it to Amber. Once it was sent, Victoria went over to the table and sat down across Luna and they both recite a silent prayer before eating. As it happened, Luna was a great cook and Victoria had nothing but compliments for the meal and Luna was just smiling and enjoying her little ‘lunch date’.

 

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

 

She might not have been very honest with Victoria and she even stalled so she won’t have to be in the hospital alone. She had been wary of hospitals since she was put in one and had to stay for almost three months with weekly appointments after her discharge. She didn’t even observe her surroundings and went straight for her destination, Behavioral Health department. There were only a handful of patients in the waiting room and she avoided any contact with them and went to the registration counter.

 

“Good afternoon. I’m from the Seoul PD. I need to see Dr Kim. Is he in?”

 

“He is but he’s with a patient and I highly recommend on not interrupting him. It’s his last patient so you can talk to him afterwards.”

 

“That would be alright. I’ll wait.”

 

Amber took a seat at a corner away from the reception desk where she won’t be disturbed and took out her phone and saw a text from Victoria. She opened it and read

the article. As she read on, she can’t help but be surprised that a young accomplished cyclist like her would retire from the sport so early and had reasons that she won’t even tell her sponsors. According to the clause she signed, she’s bound to get in trouble with the people backing her with millions in stake. For any detective, that’d be a motive for murder.

 

“Teacher Liu? Is that you?”

 

In front of her was someone she had been dreading to stumble upon and it was someone she knew very well. The person was in crutches and she was alone so Amber felt compelled to give up her seat for her. She was at least eight years younger than Amber making her around 16 years old and she first met her three years ago when she was just entering the Special Unit, working undercover as a teacher.

 

“You look well,” Amber commented as her eyes fall onto her legs.

 

“I’m much better now. It’s healing slowly but it’s definitely healing,” she emphasized.

 

“Why are you here? Is it because of the incident…?”

 

“Kind-of. I was just having my psych test earlier and I saw you sitting here. What makes you come here?”

 

“I’m on an official business,” Amber said, keeping things simple.

 

“Is it with Dr Kim? Because someone called for you earlier after I finished my session with him.”

 

“Yes, it’s him. Look, I need to go now but do you need someone to take you home? If you’re willing to wait, I can take you,” Amber offered.

 

“Thanks but my mother will be here soon.”

 

“Alright, here’s my number. You know who to call if you need anything,” Amber told her as she handed her card.